Has anyone else seen this Kensuke garage kit??

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
hatchergold
Embryo

Has anyone else seen this Kensuke garage kit??

•      
  •      

Postby hatchergold » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:45 pm

Made an account here just to ask this because this is so baffling to me. I was looking through pictures of some eva garage kits and i found this pictureImage

I was shocked to see a kensuke garage kit, because ive never seen one!! He is my favorite eva character and i already have every figure of him lol. I couldn't find any more information about this figure, though.

All of the other figures in the pic (besides hikari) are manufactured by kurushima from 1998-99 and sculpted by katayama hiroki. Part of me thinks the kensuke is a custom of some kind but the posing is too unique to any of the other plugsuits sculpted by hiroki. Im assuming kensuke was also done by him, since the style seems very similar. Ive searched high and low and this is the only picture of him ive found. (Kurushima also doesnt list any of their boy garage kits on their site, which is weird. I know for a fact kurushima made these because I have the toji)

The watermark in the bottom now leads to some weird russian site, but it used to lead to a russian eva forum. Ive found the new url the forum uses and found the original upload of the picture, which is from 2010 and was uploaded by a serial reposter. Im assuming the figures arent his because of that.

Anybody know where else to go from here? Has anyone else seen this?

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Has anyone else seen this Kensuke garage kit??

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:55 pm

Did a few passes of reverse image searching, brought up nothing of relevance; I have some friends who are fairly on top of their garage kit game, I'm gonna shoot them a message, see if they know anything.

For the time, the search phrases you're probably gonna want to look for are 相田ケンスケ ガレージキット / 相田ケンスケ レジン /相田ケンスケ ガレキ / 相田ケンスケ プラグスーツ (at least according to various modelling-adjacent places that I copypasted them from, my Japanese is pretty much nonexisting, so no guarantees). I ran it through a few sites that carry stuff like this myself, but a cursory search didn't bring up anything useful
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:29 am

aww, it's the whole set. (sans Mari, who presumably wasn't invented yet) The girls look kind of off though, like the eyes are too big.

The Touji one is pretty good tho
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

hatchergold
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby hatchergold » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:01 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote: (sans Mari, who presumably wasn't invented yet) The girls look kind of off though, like the eyes are too big.

The Touji one is pretty good tho

The pic is from at the earliest 2005, since that was when the Hikari kit came out. and yeah, all the girls are kinda goofy looking. I have the toji and hes such a good kit!

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Did a few passes of reverse image searching, brought up nothing of relevance; I have some friends who are fairly on top of their garage kit game, I'm gonna shoot them a message, see if they know anything.

Ive put this through like every reverse image search engine i know of lol. Best lead is to that russian forum.
Ive looked through some pages of the eva figure archive magazine that has like almost every figure up until 2004 and kensuke isnt there, so that also makes me think hes custom (but the posing is just so unique!! If he was custom you think the person who did it would post about it online to show off their work!!!)

Merged; double post – JoelcrNeto

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:02 pm

My personal guess is that Kensuke is a custom build from probably before 2003 because that's when Girlfriend of Steel 2 came out and Kensuke got his official plug suit which was bright yellow. The dark green top of the plugsuit is also very much the color scheme you see in some of the photo's of the Kurushima Touji kit, like the ones in the Eva Figure Archive book and Replicant Vol 1

View Original Posthatchergold wrote: he was custom you think the person who did it would post about it online to show off their work!!!)

The problem we're running into these days is things are actually disappearing from the internet. The internet has long since switch over from personal websites and forums, which were easy to archive, to things like constantly algorithm curated social media or even worse completely external apps like discord. Sure these days lots of sculptors post on twitter and etc, but back before any of that existed everyone had their own site like geocities (which actually survived in Japan all the way until 2019). If you have any event kits from the early 2000s they'll likely have an infoseek or an ISP's .ne.jp web address for their home page. Sadly a whole lot of that is just simply gone now. This also happens a lot of times when news and blog sites change layouts. A metric ton of of archived event reports from those days are also gone.

If that Kensuke was even an event kit we'd likely find some trace of it on auction sites. Aside from discovering a search engine that isn't utter trash I think your only hope might be going to physical media like monthly hobby magazines and hoping the builder entered it in one of the big contests they report on. Though that only works assuming the person is from Japan.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”