The little things that made you laugh in 3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
chattyfish
Embryo

Re: The little things that made you laugh in 3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby chattyfish » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:57 pm

Before the Rebuilds, Maya Ibuki's character pulled the topic of laid-back yuri as the admiration of his mentor Ritsuko. IMO, after Kaworu was introduced into the plot, it would have been possible not to hide it too much, but as usual it happens in Eva, it's impossible to catch anyone on anything in particular. Therefore, when in 3.0 hardened Maya reprimanded the subordinates guys and complained aside that it was impossible to rely on men -- we all looked at each other slyly and understandingly :shifty:

However, when a similar scene with her was duplicated at the beginning of 4.0, like "the guys are always problematic", it became even a little sad that her presence was so easily nailed to the already worked out line. And when in the finale, for the third time, having cursed at the subordinates who did not want to leave the ship, -- who said "no, boss, this is our duty" -- I was sincerely glad, as, without any disdain, she again complains that it's always the same with young people.

A good joke from the creators, who, apparently, love Maya no less than the others.

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:08 pm

Yes, I too found the Mexican stand-off to be preposterous (do we really need two people pointing guns at Shinji?). There were certain dialogue pieces that also felt unintentionally funny or cringy:

"the only thing a son can do for his father is pat him on the shoulder...or kill him" - Misato
"Could it be that Shinji's true synchronization rate wasn't zero, but the closest value to zero?" "Yes, his synch rate is infinite." - Ritsuko+Midori :facepalm:
"YUI! YUI! YUI! EVERYONE IS Rei!??!!" - Gendo
"I'm just like you, you're just like my father." - Shinji to Kaworu (make up your mind bud)
"Unit 1 is hope, unit 13 is despair" - kaleidoscope Gendo

The scene where the two Evas fight in Misato's apartment before crashing into a film studio was when I almost lost hope in this franchise.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:23 pm

View Original Postdzzthink wrote:"I'm just like you, you're just like my father." - Shinji to Kaworu (make up your mind bud)

I'm pretty sure you're mixing dialogues in this case.

That said, the movie makes the point that Shinji, Kaworu and Gendo are similar.

NightComesOn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby NightComesOn » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:10 pm

The moment that probably made me laugh loudest is in Rei's Instrumentality scene. The subbed version wasn't particularly funny, but in the English dub, when Shinji tells Rei not to worry, AWL's delivery of "OK, I won't" is perfectly hilarious.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:32 am

Eva Imaginary, the fictional Eva
Gotta love it.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Berserker
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Berserker » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:59 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Eva Imaginary, the fictional Eva
Gotta love it.

This and ReiQ holding her own breasts after witnessing and learning about breastfeeding from Hikari.
EvaGeeks at its finest: discussing whether or not a 14 yo girl has breast implants and how they should look. ~Shamsiel-kun
Sometimes I secretly think the reason I'm an A/S shipper is because I want Rei for myself. ~Chuckman
Eew, penis and testicles, gross! ~Reichu
My dude, "cross, crucifix, troubles, back, rood, buttock" sounds a lot closer to classic Evangelion than just one stray buttock roaming around in the film. ~FreakyFilmFan4ever

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:36 pm

I remember wanting to post this a year ago, but I forgot to do it XD

Asuka powering up just to be outsmarted by Gendo is so funny! Seriously, Gendo and Fuyutsuki made the WILLE crew look like a bunch of idiots with some guns. Two guys, all by themselves, were able to play with an entire army and this scene right here is the culmination of it all.
Shikinami is all like: "Yeah, now I'm going to show you my true powerrrr (*insert annoying teenage screens here*)!!!" And Gendo casually responds with: "You're fucked. haha"
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:25 pm

Sakura slapping Shinji as soon as he woke up in the Wunder, because I have two mental images and I don't know which is the funnier: that she patiently waited just beside him for him to wake up in order to slap him, or that she continued her job, still conflicted about how she feels toward him, only to lose it and slap him the second he awoke.

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:I remember wanting to post this a year ago, but I forgot to do it XD

Asuka powering up just to be outsmarted by Gendo is so funny! Seriously, Gendo and Fuyutsuki made the WILLE crew look like a bunch of idiots with some guns. Two guys, all by themselves, were able to play with an entire army and this scene right here is the culmination of it all.
Shikinami is all like: "Yeah, now I'm going to show you my true powerrrr (*insert annoying teenage screens here*)!!!" And Gendo casually responds with: "You're fucked. haha"

The "best" is that this scene had an insane build-up and hype about it, with Asuka grimly deciding to play her trump card, the immense pain as she removes the mini-pillar in her eye and power-up, Unit 02 glowing in pure power and increasing in size in a display even more impressive than 01 at the end of 2.0 while Mari grimly states that Asuka decided to "sacrifice her humanity" (implying that nothing will be left of her after that)... and then 13 goes "nope", eye-beam it and knock it out without super Unit 02 even having the time to do anything at all!

To make a comparison, it would be as if the first time Goku goes Super Saiyan in DBZ, Freeza just go "cute" and one-shot him.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

AsuQa_PsyOp_Langley
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AsuQa_PsyOp_Langley » Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:47 pm

"Mari... Iscariot" DUN DUN DUN

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:45 pm

Technically this didn't happen in the movie itself and is more of just a product of the way scenes are cut together, but the way it immediately cuts from Ritsuko calling Maya to bring Shinji's old Unit 01 plugsuit to Shinji putting on the plugsuit made me wonder if, due to being short on time, Shinji had to get naked in front of everyone to put it on.

Also another one that doesn't actually happen in the movie itself...and that I didn't actually come up with...and might not be as funny if english isn't your primary language...
SPOILER: Show
If they didn't change the name of their ship to the AAA Wunder, "Wille" would've spent the last two movies flying around inside of the "Busse". Yes I know that's not how those words are pronounced
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

The_Max
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby The_Max » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:13 pm

Ritsuko looking for Eva-13 on Wunder digital monitor using binoculars. I expected no less from Wunder tech :tongue: quoting her again, we can assume that monitor has "the closest value to 0" pixels :shifty:
Hey there! I am using EvaGeeks.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:44 am

It's a fun little detail, yeah. Although hypothetically, one could devise a screen that actually has a high enough resolution that this could be viable; the only problem would be the point of focus, for which I am decidedly not enough of a physicist to tell you how that would work :tongue:
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Cookie H Wilson
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Cookie H Wilson » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:33 am

All of the things I finished hating at the end
Angel blood injection from the tanks (????)
Eva Imaginary
To me 3.0+1.0 is a wonderful spectacle but with no sauce
besides the meta commentary which is touching
All of the other “deus ex machina/out of the blue stuff” made me giggle at first
Now I simply can’t rewatch the movie without finding those things absolutely dumb
View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Eva Imaginary, the fictional Eva
Gotta love it.

I sooooo hate that black Lilith nonsense
double post merged - staff
�Smash the control images. Smash the control machine.�
― William S. Burroughs

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:58 am

View Original PostCookie H Wilson wrote:Angel blood injection from the tanks (????)

That one makes perfect sense actually! Asuka has been speculated to be connected to the 9th Angel for a long time (in no small part because of an unused cut where the angel talks to her with her own disembodied face), but now between Shiki prime and the entire sequence in much of the same colorcoding as the 9th, Asuka talking about her own ATF (in contrast to 02's) and a couple of other visual hints towards it, the idea seems rather likely that what happens in that scene is not so much Asuka using the angel blood as an external source of powerup so much as rejoining a part of herself (or rather, herselves, what was made of the discarded Shiki clones) that has been elevated to a higher state
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:12 pm

Hmmmm...

Hot take: Kensuke pays child support for this kid

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:57 am

He's such a good-looking mad lad, he probably pays child support for the whole village, honestly.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:31 am

When the Erlosung appears Misato orders Wunder's two starboard guns to fire on it, but the crew fires all four port and starboard guns. They are so sick of Fuyutsuki's bullshit.

DiracSea902
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DiracSea902 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:16 am

View Original Postrobersora wrote:The incessant fan service never fails to crack me up,
The photorealistic head made me feel a lot of things - one of them being the need to chuckle,
The ladyfriends Rei was making.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”