Why EVA Mark.06 name Mark.06 instead Unit-06

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Asugran233
Lilith

Why EVA Mark.06 name Mark.06 instead Unit-06

•      
  •      

Postby Asugran233 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:15 pm

Now I am wondering why EVA Mark.06 belongs Mark series, since is piloted by Kaworu in EVA 2.0, yet others Mark series EVAs are automatus pilots.

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Why EVA Mark.06 name Mark.06 instead Unit-06

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:49 pm

I think that all units produced by SEELE are named "mark". "Mark" is like "unit" in german.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:27 pm

Raikyu wrote:"Mark" is like "unit" in german.

Not quite; it's more to the tune of [number]th generation, and is far from exclusive to German; all the way back in WWI, the British tanks were also called Mark [number]

But yes, the Mark.XX Evas are simply produced by Seele/Neo Nerv
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:10 pm

It's also interesting that Mark.04 takes the place for Unit 04. When all the Evas are disappearing in 3.0+1.0, Mark. 04 appears instead of Unit 04.
Last edited by Konja7 on Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Melkor » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:39 pm

Maybe Mark refers to Evas that are autonomous and don't have pilots? Mark.06 originally had a pilot, but the final intent of Seele could have been for it to eventually become fully autonomous. Kaworu piloting it at the end of 2.0 could have just been due to the fact that it was an emergency and they hadn't yet had time to finishing putting in a Dummy Plug because stopping the Near Third Impact that was occurring took immediate priority at that moment.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:54 pm

View Original PostMelkor wrote:Maybe Mark refers to Evas that are autonomous and don't have pilots? Mark.06 originally had a pilot, but the final intent of Seele could have been for it to eventually become fully autonomous. Kaworu piloting it at the end of 2.0 could have just been due to the fact that it was an emergency and they hadn't yet had time to finishing putting in a Dummy Plug because stopping the Near Third Impact that was occurring took immediate priority at that moment.

In 3.0, it was mentioned that Mark.06 became autonomous at some point.

However, the Advanced Ayanami series seem to pilot Mark.09-12. So, it doesn't seem Mark refers to autonomous Evas.

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:22 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:It's also interesting that Mark.04 takes the place for Unit 04. When the all Eva are disappearing in 3.0+10, Mark. 04 appears instead of Unit 04.

If I'm not mistaken, "Unit-04" was actually called as "Evangelion Next Gen Testbed-04". Maybe it was a prototype of the actual Mark. 04.

Edit: I confirmed that I was indeed mistaken. It was called Unit-04. We can only assume that the design was similar to one of the mark. 04.
Last edited by Raikyu on Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anchorhead
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Anchorhead » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:47 pm

I like the autonomous theory. I should point out that just because the Vessels have pilots doesn't necessarily mean they're not autonomous! In 3.0, Mark.09 is perfectly capable of operating on its own, given it keeps doing its thing after Rei Q is locked out of the controls and even continues fighting Unit-02 after she's fully ejected. It's possible the "pilots" serve some other purpose than actually piloting the Vessels -- Fuyutsuki does call the Advanced Ayanami Series "sacrifices to the Vessels of Adams."

Another apparent difference between the Marks and non-Marks is that they appear to have Fruit of Life characteristics built-in, rather than needing to consume an Angel to get them. Classic angel behaviors like levitation, for example, are (mostly) universal among the Marks. Mari even calls the Mark.04s "mock angels." This might go hand-in-hand with autonomous operation -- Angels don't generally have pilots either, and if an Eva becomes an Angel while a pilot is inside, the Pilot would seem to likewise become that selfsame angel (Asuka and Unit-03 both become the Ninth, Kaworu becomes the Thirteenth while the only apparent angel activity is happening to Eva-13).

Edit: The more I think about this, the more convinced I get, actually. The first "Mark" that shows up is Mark.06, who SEELE refer to as the "true Evangelion." Its pilot is (or was) an Angel, and when it gets chopped open 14 years later what comes popping out but the Twelfth Angel? There's a strong association between the Marks and Angels.
Last edited by Anchorhead on Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:06 pm

View Original PostRaikyu wrote:If I'm not mistaken, "Unit-04" was actually called as "Evangelion Next Gen Testbed-04". Maybe it was a prototype of the actual Mark. 04.

the theory I subscribe to is that the Mark.04s were constructed out of the core mass left behind by Unit 04's explosion
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:54 pm

View Original PostAnchorhead wrote:I like the autonomous theory. I should point out that just because the Vessels have pilots doesn't necessarily mean they're not autonomous! In 3.0, Mark.09 is perfectly capable of operating on its own, given it keeps doing its thing after Rei Q is locked out of the controls and even continues fighting Unit-02 after she's fully ejected. It's possible the "pilots" serve some other purpose than actually piloting the Vessels -- Fuyutsuki does call the Advanced Ayanami Series "sacrifices to the Vessels of Adams."

Another apparent difference between the Marks and non-Marks is that they appear to have Fruit of Life characteristics built-in, rather than needing to consume an Angel to get them. Classic angel behaviors like levitation, for example, are (mostly) universal among the Marks. Mari even calls the Mark.04s "mock angels." This might go hand-in-hand with autonomous operation -- Angels don't generally have pilots either, and if an Eva becomes an Angel while a pilot is inside, the Pilot would seem to likewise become that selfsame angel (Asuka and Unit-03 both become the Ninth, Kaworu becomes the Thirteenth while the only apparent angel activity is happening to Eva-13).

Seele refers to Mark.06 as "The True Evangelion", and Fuyutsuki remarks that they're trying to "create an actual God, not a fake one" this time. I think this 100% refers to it having the FoL, and it's interesting how it finishes construction soon after the Nerv-02 accident. My working theory is that once the artificial FoK experiment was successful and Seele were confident that they could mass-produce it at will, they sabottaged it and caused the "accident" to destroy al the data so they alone would be in possession of it. This is backed by neither Gendo/Fuyutsuki nor Kaji knowing whether it really was an accident or who was behind it: that only leaves Seele as the suspect.

I've long been wondering why the pattern blue Mark.04s, 44A's, etc. aren't indentified by Wille as new angels. I now think every pattern blue signal has a definitive "signature" (this is what lets Wille recognize the angel in Asuka's eye as a repeat of 9th, instead of assigning a nonexistant new number), and all the artificial FoK Evas share the (known) signal of testbed Unit-04 (see this comment of mine regarding Kaworu being identified as the 13th).

View Original PostAnchorhead wrote:Edit: The more I think about this, the more convinced I get, actually. The first "Mark" that shows up is Mark.06, who SEELE refer to as the "true Evangelion." Its pilot is (or was) an Angel, and when it gets chopped open 14 years later what comes popping out but the Twelfth Angel? There's a strong association between the Marks and Angels.

I think the Mark.06 simply got infiltrated/consumed by the 12th angel; there's nothing in the autonomous Evas that makes them more prone to associate with angels. The 12th didn't develop inside the Mark.06; Asuka was already aware of its existence from the events of Third Impact. When the 12th finally exits the Mark.06, all that is left is skin and armour!

Anchorhead
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Anchorhead » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:22 pm

DantesInferno wrote:I think the Mark.06 simply got infiltrated/consumed by the 12th angel; there's nothing in the autonomous Evas that makes them more prone to associate with angels. The 12th didn't develop inside the Mark.06; Asuka was already aware of its existence from the events of Third Impact. When the 12th finally exits the Mark.06, all that is left is skin and armour!

Indeed. What I mean to get at here is that contamination by an Angel is one way of making an Eva autonomous -- see Unit-03, Eva-13, and Mark.06. I've long assumed that the mysterious modification done to Mark.06 to make it autonomous was the 12th Angel itself, since, like the Ninth, it's a full-body core that has some apparent "contamination" abilities. And we know SEELE were experimenting with ways to control Angels as far back as the Third, what with the entry plug in its spine.

Total spitball, though. I don't know for sure that it's anything more than a coincidence that the Marks are largely autonomous -- I think having the FoL (or a recreation of it) has gotta be the primary thing, since it's so consistent across the board.

Incidentally, the DMYSYS also seems to have core texture, or something similar to it... controlling an Eva doesn't seem to be something you can do with machines alone!

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:09 am

View Original PostAnchorhead wrote:I've long assumed that the mysterious modification done to Mark.06 to make it autonomous was the 12th Angel itself, since, like the Ninth, it's a full-body core that has some apparent "contamination" abilities.

Mark.06 is a full-body core? I thought only the Adams' Vessels (9 through 12) were full-body cores (but it's very early in my time zone and I'm still half asleep :tongue:).

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:32 am

View Original PostAnchorhead wrote:Indeed. What I mean to get at here is that contamination by an Angel is one way of making an Eva autonomous -- see Unit-03, Eva-13, and Mark.06. I've long assumed that the mysterious modification done to Mark.06 to make it autonomous was the 12th Angel itself, since, like the Ninth, it's a full-body core that has some apparent "contamination" abilities.

If by autonomous you mean "no pilot" (as opposed to, no power cord), yeah, by all means. I mean, the Mark.06 was FoL-enabled from the start; they definitely did something to it so it didn't have to be piloted by Kaworu anymore, and injecting the 12th fits the bill (another possibility would be a dummy plug-based solution).

View Original PostAnchorhead wrote:And we know SEELE were experimenting with ways to control Angels as far back as the Third, what with the entry plug in its spine.

Totally missed that entry plug part. Too bad Amazon Prime doesn't have a frame-by-frame playback functionality.

View Original PostAnchorhead wrote:Total spitball, though. I don't know for sure that it's anything more than a coincidence that the Marks are largely autonomous -- I think having the FoL (or a recreation of it) has gotta be the primary thing, since it's so consistent across the board.
Incidentally, the DMYSYS also seems to have core texture, or something similar to it... controlling an Eva doesn't seem to be something you can do with machines alone!

Yes... and so do the Seele monoliths. I think Reichu hypothesized the dummy system had something to do with souls trapped inside a coffin (see the logo) or something, I forgot...

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”