A few questions about Adam

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
1rate
Embryo

A few questions about Adam

•      
  •      

Postby 1rate » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:39 pm

I have a few questions.

When Kaji gives Adam's embryo to Gendo the latter tells him that Adam is "the first human", why? What does that mean? Isn't Adam supposed to be the first Angel?

In episode 22, Misato tells Gendo that maybe it's not a good idea for the Eva to have contact with Adam (which is actually Lilith but whatever) in terminal's dogma since that might cause a third impact. Who told her that and why? When did she get that info? But more importantly: Adam's presence in terminal dogma was clearly supposed to be a secret, so why does she mention Adam without a care in the world? Did Nerv relay the info to it's employees? Why? When did that happen? What am I missing?

Lastly, I'm not really sure what can cause a third impact (maybe there's multiple ways to cause it and they lead to different outcomes), however I'm pretty sure that one way to do it has something to do with fusing Adam and Rei which is what Gendo does in EoE, but if that's the case, why doesn't he just stick his hand into Rei right after he got Adam's embryo implanted? Maybe all the angels needed to be defeated for whatever reason but even then why didn't he just talk to Rei and do the hand thing immediately after Kaworu gets killed?

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

Re: A few questions about Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:52 am

I do believe the angels being defeated was seen as a prerequisite for 3I.

Other than that, I feel like the answer to a lot of those other questions is “don’t think about it too hard”, though I’d be interested to hear if they ACTUALLY have consistent explanations with actual textual evidence.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:36 pm

@Archer: The answer to a question in the discussion forum is never "don't think about it too hard" - to suggest so is spitting on the very purpose of this subforum and on the discussion rules that you are supposed to have read by visiting this forum. If you don't have a constructive answer here, don't give one. Simple.

View Original Post1rate wrote:When Kaji gives Adam's embryo to Gendo the latter tells him that Adam is "the first human", why? What does that mean? Isn't Adam supposed to be the first Angel?

Angels are other possibilities for human existence, and human beings ("Lilin") in the NGE universe are effectively the 18th Angel, born from Lilith instead of Adam. So Adam is both the First Angel and the first human being, given the expanded definition of "human" in the NGE universe. The Evas themselves are human (and called "people" in Episode 23). This point is covered when Misato talks to Shinji in End of Evangelion, and supplemental sources such as the "Classified Information" from the NGE 2 video game also cover this.

In episode 22, Misato tells Gendo that maybe it's not a good idea for the Eva to have contact with Adam (which is actually Lilith but whatever) in terminal's dogma since that might cause a third impact. Who told her that and why?

Watch the ending of Episode 15 again, and you'll have the answer to this question.

As to Third Impact, it is clear that the destruction of the Angels is required for Third Impact to happen, although the exact details of why or how are more a matter of speculation than things spelled out clearly. As to why Gendo doesn't initiate Third Impact immediately after Kaworu is killed, it is unclear what Gendo was waiting for. He seemed to be trying to confront the committee, or have Rei better prepared for whatever events were necessary. The key to creating Third Impact appears to be a "forbidden fusion of Adam and Lilith" as stated in End of Evangelion, and it seems conceivable that an Angel merging with Lilith could create Third Impact, hence the importance of protecting Lilith (either that, or the Angels could believe she was Adam, realize their mistake, and then try to kill her, making Seele's Third Impact scenario unworkable). Kaworu thinks Lilith is Adam and wants to merge with her at first before realizing the mistake, and it seems that Seele had tricked him into thinking she was Adam, and that for him to merge with Lilith would not work out as Kaworu planned.

Now what exactly is going on with Seele sending Kaworu down is still not clear, although their dialogue could be taken as an implication that they want Eva-01 to kill him.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

1rate
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby 1rate » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:07 pm

In episode 22, Misato tells Gendo that maybe it's not a good idea for the Eva to have contact with Adam (which is actually Lilith but whatever) in terminal's dogma since that might cause a third impact. Who told her that and why?

Watch the ending of Episode 15 again, and you'll have the answer to this question

Wait a sec, this doesn't fully answer my question: in the ending of Episode 15 Kaji tells Misato about "Adam", and that was supposed to be a secret, but then, in another episode she just casually mentions "Adam"'s presence in terminal dogma to Gendo. What am I missing?

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”