Evangelion 3.333 Bluray coming out on 8/25

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
TomsonPRD
Embryo

Re: Evangelion 3.333 Bluray coming out on 8/25

•      
  •      

Postby TomsonPRD » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:47 pm

I mean, I'm no moderator or anything, but 3.333 got publicly released, so mayyybe it wouldn't be against the rules? Those BD extras are absolute treasure troves, it'd be a waste not to discuss them :D

Also, another small difference I found out during the first minutes, the Eva silhouette on the Mark.04A was changed from white to a more noticeable, darker color
SPOILER: Show
ImageImage

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:20 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:In the imageboards, Kaworu drives Shinji and Rei to a picnic.

And Kaji shows Shinji the state of the world while piloting a VTOL. But he doesn't seem to appear again after that.

It's a bit hard to see what happens at the end of this version. Eva 13 impales itself much earlier in the finale, and Mark 09 turn into some kind of Sachiel monstrosity. Also Eva 13 looks really demonic.

The ending is pretty much the same except Asuka has a bionic eye under her patch and the story goes on and include a good portion of the last movie.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:01 pm

View Original PostTomsonPRD wrote:I mean, I'm no moderator or anything, but 3.333 got publicly released, so mayyybe it wouldn't be against the rules? Those BD extras are absolute treasure troves, it'd be a waste not to discuss them :D

It's copyrighted material, therefore it's against the forum's rules to be posted here.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:56 pm

There is a video clip on tumblr but I don't think it's complete

Some things seem to be genuine changes/choices - the like masked Reis being just heads in a tube, the 'new' Rei reading (while the one we got in Q markedly didn't) and the DSS choker scene going very different (Kaworu almost goes alone & Shinji rushes after him at the last moment, looking at the DSS choker) - Shinji's simultaneously weaker (because he just sulks) and nobler (cause he's moved by compassion rather than something he views as a chance to "go back") in there, but the visual language is pretty different with their sitting on the opposite sides of the bed vs the final result where they sit side by side with highly synchronized moments almost swearing a "blood oath" together.

There generally seems to have been a shift to make the timeskip world more cool & mechanized & unhospitable (same with the wunder having seed banks instead of greenhouses) - or perhaps those were precursors of the 'advanced Ayanami types' that did eventually make it in (like Mari's book collection)

Scarred and visibly aged Gendo was an interesting idea (maybe he'd have lost the scars when transforming) but in the end scar face is overdone & there was something interesting to the ambiguity of him just showing up looking exactly the same & with a visor (especially when constrasted with obvious senior citizen Fuyutsuki)

Others seem like time cuts like the picnic, Kaworu driving around, playing Piano in the rain, the supportive arm thing etc. that was all stuff that was cool & easthetic but basically just "everyday life at Neo Nerv" They would have been nice to have but prolly weren't as much of a priority.

I can see why they scrapped Kaworu crying or making his 'ghostly'' presence too overt, (they were saving that for the last movie) but one idea but I reallywish they'd kept the visual of Shinji falling out of the seat.

We should really compile all these tidbits on the wiki as soon as possible

Im really glad they gave us this!
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

TyroLuuki
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TyroLuuki » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:55 am

There's a short bit of written dialogue for Shinji and Rei Q's scene at the end of the image boards, I'm going to translate it here:

Toji+Hikari(?):
やっぱみんないっしょが楽しいよナー!
またこいよー!いつでもなー!
It really is much more fun with everyone here!
Come again, whenever you like!

Rei Q:
"たのしい”。。。。
アヤナミレイがもしここにいたら。。。たのしいの?
"Fun"...
Would Ayanami Rei have fun...if she was here?

(アヤナミ、一人だれもいない食事)
(Image insert of Ayanami eating alone)

Shinji:
アヤナミがほんとうにたどりつきたかったのは。。。ここなのかもしれない!?
Was this perhaps the place...Ayanami really wanted to be!?

Rei II:
ワタシがマモルカラ。
"Because I'll protect you."

Shinji:
(ボクは。。結局。。。一度も守れなかった。。。!!!)
(I couldn't protect you...not even a single time...!!!)
お願いがあるんだ。(アヤナミのかわりに。。。ここにいてほしい)
I have a request. I want you to stay here...in Ayanami's stead.
キミはもう。。。戦わなくていい
You don't have to...fight anymore

Rei Q:
イカリシンジはどうなるの?
What will you do, Ikari Shinji?

Shinji:
ボクはもう一度あそこ(ネルフ本部)戻らなくちゃいけない。。。キミは(そしてこの場所は)ボクが守る
I have to go back there once again, to NERV HQ...I'll protect you and this village.

Rei Q:
サヨナラ
Goodbye
Kaworu and Asuka deserved better tbh

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:59 am

Interesting. I wonder if there was an earlier draft of the script where Rei didn’t pop?
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

AlphaZero
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AlphaZero » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:32 am

Gendo losing part of his face and looking more like Nemo.
Rei clones with Lilith masks managing Nerv.
Kaji is actually alive. These movies needed more Kaji and Shinji scenes.
Scenes of Kaji and Misato and Kaji and Ritsuko.
More exploration of Nerv HQ.
Shinji and Kaworu control Eva 13 with pianos.
Calm scenes of Asuka and Mari.
The picnic scene between Kaworu, Shinji and Rei 6(or was she 3 this early on?).
The key of Nebuchadnezzar is shown again.
Gendo shooting one of the Seele monoliths.
Even Ritsuko's hairstyle is better.

Why? Just why Anno and Khara? Why couldn't this be the movie?

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:52 am

Rei clones managing the Nerv HQ makes a lot of sense. Also Gendo is holding the key while looking at Lilith’s giant head and after that he has his movie look with the visor, implying he may have used the key I guess.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:29 pm

I've seen the video with the imageboards.

It's pretty interesting. The most confusing is the part of the Eva-13, the lack of dialogue wouldn't help.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:49 pm

View Original PostAlphaZero wrote:Gendo shooting one of the Seele monoliths.

lmfao holy shit
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:43 am

Can Khara just give us a Rebuild manga at this point? Even if it takes another 20 years to finish? There’s clearly so much that would’ve benefited from being shown but just didn’t fit into the runtime of 4 movies.

profesor_rod
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby profesor_rod » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:08 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:
SPOILER: Show
There is a video clip on tumblr but I don't think it's complete

Some things seem to be genuine changes/choices - the like masked Reis being just heads in a tube, the 'new' Rei reading (while the one we got in Q markedly didn't) and the DSS choker scene going very different (Kaworu almost goes alone & Shinji rushes after him at the last moment, looking at the DSS choker) - Shinji's simultaneously weaker (because he just sulks) and nobler (cause he's moved by compassion rather than something he views as a chance to "go back") in there, but the visual language is pretty different with their sitting on the opposite sides of the bed vs the final result where they sit side by side with highly synchronized moments almost swearing a "blood oath" together.

There generally seems to have been a shift to make the timeskip world more cool & mechanized & unhospitable (same with the wunder having seed banks instead of greenhouses) - or perhaps those were precursors of the 'advanced Ayanami types' that did eventually make it in (like Mari's book collection)

Scarred and visibly aged Gendo was an interesting idea (maybe he'd have lost the scars when transforming) but in the end scar face is overdone & there was something interesting to the ambiguity of him just showing up looking exactly the same & with a visor (especially when constrasted with obvious senior citizen Fuyutsuki)

Others seem like time cuts like the picnic, Kaworu driving around, playing Piano in the rain, the supportive arm thing etc. that was all stuff that was cool & easthetic but basically just "everyday life at Neo Nerv" They would have been nice to have but prolly weren't as much of a priority.

I can see why they scrapped Kaworu crying or making his 'ghostly'' presence too overt, (they were saving that for the last movie) but one idea but I reallywish they'd kept the visual of Shinji falling out of the seat.

We should really compile all these tidbits on the wiki as soon as possible

Im really glad they gave us this!

The wiki REALLY needs updating. About 3.333 it only says:
This is a full 2K version of Evangelion 3.0 that apparently includes numerous small changes to the lighting and coloring of various scenes, and some alteration of the plugsuit colors for Asuka and Mari. So far, there is no word on actual new content, or the presence of restored deleted scenes.

It doesn't even has the BD-UHD resolution of the movie right or mentions the continuity edits.

I'd love to see it list the differences between it and 3.33

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:26 pm

The wiki needs updating about a lot of things frankly x.x

I've been meaning to look after some of them, but never got around to it; and looking at the edits made, apart from the valiant efforts of one member who translates pretty much the entire wiki into turkish, doesn't seem like anyone else can be bothered to sit down and do it, either
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:26 am

For some reason 3.333 keeps erasing clouds from the sky, either some or all of them.

Film looks super pretty.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:36 am

Can someone give me link to the video with the imageboards and written dialogue of this "proto-Q" or the images that some people made of it? It looks super interesting.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:23 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Can someone give me link to the video with the imageboards and written dialogue of this "proto-Q" or the images that some people made of it? It looks super interesting.

The video is in dailymotion, but I don't remember the pasword:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x83t7n7

Anchorhead
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Anchorhead » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:42 am

I haven't seen anyone mention this directly anywhere, so I'm just going to point it out:
They're purple now????

When I got to this shot I nearly fell out of my seat. Like, what could this possibly mean? They're also core textured now, where they weren't before.

I noticed a couple other small changes, both of which seemed to be for the purpose of tying in better with 3.0+1.0 (the WILLE logo on the crashed VTOL, and Unit-02's beast mode is now called "code three-seven" instead of "code triple-seven"). So Eva-13's wings being purple now is probably also to rectify some inconsistency, but... figuring out what, exactly, would require knowing what they are in the first place.

Incidentally, the wings go back to being red and non-core-textured after Kaworu dies and Mari ejects Shinji from Eva-13. I used to assume the wings were caused by contamination from the Twelfth Angel, but the difference in color and the fact that it fades after Kaworu is gone now makes me think they're probably from Kaworu himself. Maybe that's the point? I.e., the change in color was to visually distinguish the wings from the Twelfth Angel?

AlphaZero
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AlphaZero » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:25 pm

Konja7 wrote:The video is in dailymotion, but I don't remember the pasword:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x83t7n7

The password is youcannotredo.
I don't think anyone cares but I'll just use this account if I find answers to some questions that haven't been posted before when it comes to the backstory of rebuild otherwise it might as well not exist. Wish good luck to anyone that can figure out any of the mysteries.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:47 pm

View Original PostAlphaZero wrote:The password is youcannotredo.

Thank you very much.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:03 am

The events for the Fourth Impact in the imageboards are pretty similar and pretty different at the same time. I would like to have dialogues to understand it even better.

In the original imageboards, it doesn't seem to be a "there is a wrong Spear" moment, Shinji and Kaworu take both Spears.

The problem starts when Mark-09 free the 12th Angel inside Mark-06. The 12th Angel seems to attack Shinji with illusions, which causes Shinji to panic and throws an Spear of Longinus at the angel (Kaworu doesn't expect Shinji to do this). The Spear of Longinus destroy the 12th Angel's core, which seems to be what starts the Fourth Impact.

I suspect the change is because they really wanted to show how Shinji's actions are driven by desperation. Although the idea of the the two different Spears would be necessary for the story in the future too.

Another thing, in 3.0, Eva-13 being stabbed by the two Spears of Longinus (and Kaworu's death?) causes Eva-13 to deactivate and start to fall. The Awakening state continued and the Gates of Guf had not closed, because Shinji was the backup.

Instead, in the imageboards, Eva-13 has little damage from being stabbed by the two Spears of Longinus and it recovers quickly (Kaworu's death doesn't affect Eva-13 at all). I guess Shinji is still the backup.

It's interesting they increased the damage that Eva-13 received when it was stabbed by the two Spear of Longinus.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”