Misato was no longer a leading female in Rebuild.

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Re: Misato was no longer a leading female in Rebuild.

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:50 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Considering that she had one of the biggest moments of glory in the entire movie, sacrificing her own life to thwart Gendo's plan one and for all I'd say that's quite a bit more than "the writing handing her a win". We are talking about the impact and prominence of her actions on the story here, and she sure as hell had both of that.

By handing her a win I'm mostly talking about the exposition that surrounds how she gets the win. In a vacuum, sure, she made some tough calls and sacrifices herself. But it's the sequence of events and how little it feels like her struggle matters that robs it of dramatic vitality. She stands around during Gendo's exposition, and his talking goes on for so long that we can rest certain that Misato will walk out of the situation. Even when she gets shot, the storytelling beats are signaling very heavily (and some have said comically) how dramatic the situation is, but I never actually expected Misato to not walk away from the situation, because it starts resolving itself before you can take it seriously or with gravity. Then she puts a bandana on her wound and walks off and it's fine. By the time she sacrifices herself, even more exposition reveals that, because of technobabble, there's a macguffin she can craft and deliver to Shinji, but there's no real feeling of "will this even work, isn't this absurd?" and instead everyone just completely straight-faced knows it will work, because the writing decides it will work, so the characters, almost like they're actually the writers, have no logical reason for doubt. They deliver a magic spear through the iris of an imaginary being as if it's punching in a time card. There's no stakes to it and Misato doesn't act like a believable human being. Compare it to the intensity of the many times she previously did something near-impossible, and how full of mounting doubt, confidence in the face of it, and the huge relief that resulted, in a dramatic sense. There just wasn't any of that there for me.

Someone compared it to WWII. But WWII, you know, had its many pyrrhic victories and realistic compromises. Shin doesn't; no one is negatively affected by what happens in a lasting way, everything gets reset, and the writing feels like it doesn't care that it's already anticipating that, even in its supposedly grim moments. Misato was rendered non-human for me as of Q, and Shin's attempts to inject humanity into her again just pushes her over a ledge back into inhumanity. It's not just her coldness or lack of screentime, it's really a combination and overlapping of everything.
Après moi le déluge!

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Re: Misato was no longer a leading female in Rebuild.

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:55 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Dunno about that.
I loved her role in the last film, and she was more succesful than she ever was in NGE at fighting Gendo.

Except she wasn't, everything she and WILLE did during the last two movies were part of Gendo's plans, and WILLE never posed the slightest threat to them in the entire war due to the insane difference in firepower between the two factions. The final battle isn't an epic fight to save the world, it was Namek-saga Freezer playing with Vegeta until he effortlessly grind his skulls against the pavement once he got bored, WILLE only reached NERV HQ because Gendo allowed them because he needed them to deliver the last ingredients of his ritual, then he takes off the kids gloves and the Wunder forces get totaled in one minute and half.
Sure there's the spear of Gaius, but that thing just so out of nowhere that I can't see it as anything but an ass pull brought in at the last second so you can say that WILLE did something ("Oh yeah, our ship can generate a spear! Let's build one even more advanced and powerful than the holy spears made by our precursor race so advanced that they could be gods, in 10 minutes"), it would be as if in the last half-hour of the LOTR: The Return of the King movie Gandalf turns to Aragorn and tells him "Hey I remember, we can use your ancient sword to forge another Ring even more powerful than Sauron's one and without the drawbacks of driving you insane from power, we'll use it to defeat his armies! Half a day should be enough to make it.", and then use it to destroy Sauron's armies so Frodon can just waltz in Mount Doom and destroy Sauron's ring, then the super ring is used to magically repair all the cities that the orcs destroyed and resurrect everyone they killed, including Théoden and Boromir. Sure everyone will be happy, but you'll wonder wtf just happened.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”