Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:13 pm

View Original PostNatalie the Cat wrote:I feel largely the same. It made little sense and Jordan was really wooden in his delivery. Some actors just aren’t good at voice work.

Chadwick Bozeman sounded so weak but still delivers his lines well, tears at the heart strings a bit y'know?
and of course as I've said before....

SPOILER: Show
whenever Iron Man is involved HE ALWAYS DIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ugh
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:15 pm

He is to the MCU as Spider-Man is to 616.

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:59 am

Yeah What If has been pretty disappointing. A lot of the ideas are rushed, or just not that great, and it has been a particularly painful reminder of the difference between screen acting and voice-acting. It's telling that Cumberbatch, who had prior experience doing voice-acting for Smaug and Dormammu, has pretty much been the only actor who made the transition in this show.

That's not even getting into how crappy the animation is. I've literally seen lone dudes on YouTube make better animation than this show- even with the absurd amount of the budget that must've been eaten up by the unnecessary casting, they still could've produced something less awful on the eyes.

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:07 pm

Yeah I have to agree, it's been a dud. There's been only two really good episodes so far, 2 and 4.

Zombies were a bad choice, Captain Carter was too tame (it was just a retelling of the movie with a different character and the whole thing of Howard Stark building his own Iron Man was completely glossed over), and the one where all the avengers die was boring. The last one was just confusing and the story made no sense, it made Killmonger come off as a really contrived character who succeeds because everyone is an idiot.

So, wait, let me get this straight. Killmonger isn't just a killing machine, he's as capable of an engineer as Tony, too? Okay, I'll buy that, but he outsmarts Tony with his own tech? You're telling me that Tony had some way of catching him killing Rhodes via Jarvis but the Wakandans don't have something built into T'Challa's vibranium combat armor to do the same thing? When did Shuri figure out something was up? Where was Shield during all this and why didn't Pepper go to them, or vice-versa? Killmonger acquired all of that intel on Stane how, exactly, and since when does showing all the evidence in public without handing it over to the authorities actually work? Would T'Chaka, Ramonda, and Okoye all be completely and totally oblivious like this? Did Killmonger have to complete some kind of a trial to become the new BP? What even was his plan?

That's the part I can't figure out. It's extremely convoluted. He built an army of vibranium super bots (and do they have the vibranium in the shell, or just use it for a power source? This was unclear to me) only to wreck them to... make himself king? Why did he personally kill T'Challa and take that risk?

In the movie, Killmonger is a pretty clever villain, and he knows he can't fool everyone- he makes allies in Wakanda who have hardliner positions that are sympathetic to his plan to overthrow world governments and uses Wakanda's traditions against it to seize power with the support of those internal allies, effectively carrying off a coup. In this he just waltzes in and they all love him as the result of a painfully obvious and transparent plan?

And where the fuck was M'Baku? You're telling me he wouldn't have challenged Killmonger?

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:38 am

View Original PostNatalie the Cat wrote:Yeah I have to agree, it's been a dud. There's been only two really good episodes so far, 2 and 4.

And even then, episode 2 was a very by the numbers heist story, with the layer of it basically being Chadwick Boseman's swan song as the character- if he were still alive, I don't think the episode would have hit the same. Redeemed?Thanos was very random and nonsensical, not to mention he was an utter wimp. This was the same dude who beat the crap out of the Hulk in a full-on fistfight in less than a minute flat, and the lamest members of the Black Order are cleaning his clock?

Also, you raise good points about the latest episode. Killmonger never struck me as a brilliant engineer. Good at planning, yes, but actually designing warbots, no. Not to mention his plan in this episode glosses over a lot of the issues in Wakanda that enabled him to briefly become king in the movie. Killmonger had to take advantage of Wakanda's isolationism and xenophobia to succeed in the movie- his biggest supporter was W'Kabi, who was established as an anti-refugee asshole that wouldn't mind "cleaning up" the world.

Also, the Jabari def would've gotten involved as soon as it looked like Wakanda was going to go to war with an outside power.

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:19 am

I can forgive nonsensical stuff like Thanos if it's fun. He was hilarious. That whole episode had the over the top feel of a Guardians movie, which is probably why it worked.

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:23 pm

View Original PostNatalie the Cat wrote:I can forgive nonsensical stuff like Thanos if it's fun. He was hilarious. That whole episode had the over the top feel of a Guardians movie, which is probably why it worked.

Nebula with bombshell blonde hair like something out of a 1950s heist movie was pretty funny. As was Quill working at Dairy Queen, though that in part may be flavored by my dislike of Chris Pratt.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:06 am

Well, as silly and stupid as it was, I found "Party Thor" pretty entertaining and must admit I laughed out loud at a few bits.....Party on dude! Rock on "What if" :D

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:41 am

Party Thor was a nice palate cleanser after a well executed but depressing episode and a couple of duds, for sure.

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:12 pm

Seeing giant Loki was quite a sight. Wasn't he a runt in the Sacred Timeline?

It's funny that one of the most physically impressive battles in the entire MCU, with strength and striking feats in excess of what we see in the movies and closer to the comics, is in a comedic episode about frat bro Thor. Like punching someone into a sub-orbital trajectory like that is pretty intense compared to the mild building destruction we often see in MCU movies.

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:21 am

We didn’t see where Carol went when she was knocked out of frame by Thanos with the power stone in Endgame. I assumed that it both knocked her into orbit and briefly knocked her unconscious when I saw the movie.

The cartoonish feats were probably allowed because of the tone, I imagine. Since Carol can’t really be hurt, it’s a nice setup for some Looney Tunes slapstick.

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:13 am

AS GOD AS MY WITNESS HE IS CUT IN HALF

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:31 am

wow....gotta love that! Surely this is the beginning of a multi part What If story? So far so good...really entertaining first episode if it is.
Especially enjoyed
the Watcher getting his hands dirty in self defense!

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:29 pm

That was a damned good episode. I'd put it on part with 2 and 4.

I particularly liked the scene where Ultron kept punching them into different realities.

My one nitpick is that, in my own humble opinion, they shouldn't bother trying to have VAs sound like various actors. The faux-Spader voice was more distracting than if he'd just sounded totally different.

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:28 am

Yeah that's where trying to maintain brand recognition damages the story. Ross Marquand is a damn good impressionist, and as Invincible showed has good VA chops, but Spader's voice as Ultron is one of those voices where if you don't have it, don't try to mimic it. It made him sound a bit more like James Woods than Spader.

Also, damn Uatu's got hands. Considering his vantagepoint in the multiverse and seeming isolation, I'm wondering if rather than just being one of the Watchers, Uatu is now simply the Watcher.

Thanos def has been hit with the Nerf this whole season. Where the hell did that bisecting feat come from? Hell, Ultron melted fucking Uru like it was nothing. Vision never demonstrated that kind of power, and I don't buy the argument that he didn't understand his body compared to Ultron- dude was so much more advanced an AI he was able to bitchslap Ultron out of the internet in seconds. He has the Mind Stone, not the Power Stone.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:43 am

Not a bad conclusion to the What if 2 parter.....nice to hear Chadwick Bozeman one more time...."The Guardians of the Multiverse".....liked the Watcher's virtual face palming "I picked him"....lol.

was totally WTF when he picked Killmonger....but then it made sense :wink:

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:21 am

It was a good ending but it was definitely weird because they cut out an episode from this season.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:31 am

View Original PostNatalie the Cat wrote:It was a good ending but it was definitely weird because they cut out an episode from this season.

I was wondering about that, did they really leave one out?? Wasn't sure if the Gamora, IM sequence wasn't just a random selection....

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:42 am

Yes, there was originally to be a Gamora episode. I'm not sure why it was cut, but it was apparently pushed to next season.

Chadwick Boseman was obviously ill when they recorded the finale. I mean, he was sick the entire time, but it was really showing in his voice. It was pretty sad and I couldn't help but wonder if they reduced his role.

I wonder if we'll see any of these characters again. Frankly, it would be a waste to never bring back Captain Carter or evil Strange. Both characters are great and Cumberbatch is phenomenal with the voice work.

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:52 am

IIRC rumor has it that we might see Captain Carter in Multiverse of Madness. Wouldn't be surprising if depressed Supreme Strange also played a role, especially since MoM is supposed to be a """horror""" film.

Return to “Film and Video”