[Merch] Evangelion book review blog

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

Re: [Merch] Evangelion book review blog

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:14 am

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:You can just post it here, that's fine.

EDIT: A friend also sent me pictures of the English release of Essential Evangelion Chronicle. I've heard the English release has a less than ideal translation, so I was wondering if you could get me some pictures of some pages to double check it against the French one:

Side A just page 17

Side B: 7, 11, 14-15, 17, 19, 70-71, 73

This is not a priority, of course.

Okay, here are the scans of the Megumi Ogata interview from Ide Koji no Evangelion Forever (if the pictures don't show up properly for you, please copy the image locations and open them in a new tab):

SPOILER: Show

As for The Essential Evangelion Chronicle: Side A and The Essential Evangelion Chronicle: Side B, sorry but I'm not comfortable with doing a bunch of additional scans for books that already have official translations. My book reviews are meant to inform people about the various Evangelion books that exist and help them make purchasing decisions, not be a substitute for purchasing the books. However, that doesn't mean I don't want to help! My reviews of those two books already covered the differences between the English and French versions, including descriptions of the mistakes and major omissions in the English editions. You can check out the reviews here:

The Essential Evangelion Chronicle: Side A
The Essential Evangelion Chronicle: Side B

Now, if you want to ask questions about stuff that my reviews did not cover, I'm perfectly fine with answering those! This thread has been full of posts with people asking further questions about books that I've reviewed, and I'm happy to help! I just don't want to turn this thread into Book Piracy Central, because that runs counter to my reason for doing these reviews in the first place, which was to help Evangelion fans while also supporting the artists/staff and bookstores. I hope that's understandable. ^_^
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:45 pm

That's fine. Thanks so much. I've been trying to get a hold of the French edition but unfortunately it's been kinda hard.

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:09 pm

Thanks for being so understanding! I really appreciate it. By the way, did the scans for the Ogata interview work okay for you? If they didn't work and you need me to give them to you a different way, feel free to let me know. ^_^

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:08 am

I've taken the liberty of editing the links to the direct image URL. Blog post here: https://literaryeagle.tumblr.com/post/1 ... eview-here

I've had it summarized as:

According to Megumi Ogata, Shinji's voice actress, the scene itself was modeled on a experience of a female friend of Anno's. This friend got into an argument with her boyfriend, and at some point he choker her in rage. Instead of reacting violently, this friend felt no fear, but rather a desire to caress him. In response, her boyfriend lost her grip. However, Anno's friend instead grew cold, and muttered Asuka's line from the EoE draft almost verbatim. Ogata believes this scene was how Anno wanted to "convey different ways how to bring feelings of love to a conclusion that exist in reality. You are you, I am I". Naturally, this reflects on the films of individuality and the duality of reaching out to others present in Eva.

Anno also guided Ogata to treat OMF partly as a separate story: "as something that just exists. As if everything that happened before in the movie is merely a dream that never happened. It is its own narrative unity, something that can fundamentally be taken away from its context in the movie and still be interpreted as a dramatic whole. It is and is not the final scene of EoE."

Furthermore, Ogata asked Anno to help her understand what Anno wanted to convey through the scene and how Shinji is supposed to act. Hearing this, Anno first stands silent and confused for a moment. Then he firmly wraps his arms around himself and hugs himself. This is on the "purpose" of what he is trying to express. As for how Ogata should play Shinji Anno asks her to not play Shinji: " ''"For this scene alone, I want Ogata to take on and express my feelings rather than Shinji's"'' - 『井手功二のエヴァンゲリオンフォーエヴァー』(アミューズブックス

Richitzer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Richitzer » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:23 am

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:I've taken the liberty of editing the links to the direct image URL. Blog post here: https://literaryeagle.tumblr.com/post/1 ... eview-here

Summary sounds about right.
I had made a rough translation of this about a month ago. Bone apple tea.

No. 072 - 073
The Role of Shinji Ikari

(information on the right page is just about Ogata, like her blood type. Which is B, btw)

When it came to Shinji's feelings, it was played naturally.

Ide: It's the second time we've met after the movie was released.
Ogata: Certainly. I met you first right after you saw the movie
I didn't have a lot of time, so I could only talk a little.
Ide: The day after I saw the movie, I was so excited haha.
At the time, I got 100 points, but when I went to see it again, I was worried because there were so many things I didn't understand haha.
Ogata: After expected haha.
Ide: How were the surrounding reactions after the release?
Ogata: Various. Some people have come to conclusions by themselves
and it seems some people say it's okay even if they can't come to a conclusion.
Ide: Well, Shinji was good in the movie.
But aren't there a lot of voices saying "Shinji is weak."?
Ogata: I've grown a lot haha.
Ide: Even among the listeners from 'Gerge', 'Is Shinji good or bad' has become a big controversy. (Gerge or Geruge is a place from the Bible where Jesus drove Legion (my name is legion, for we are many) out of a man and into some pigs.)
Ogata: Is that so...
Each person has their own perspective. Even within myself, my opinions are divided.
For example, no matter how long before (shooting) I get the script, I read it at least twice. Firstly, I look at it from the standpoint of an enemy actor and grasp the general flow.
That's why I read it from the perspective of the role the second time, and then I put what I found from both perspectives into the play.

No. 074-075
Ogata: However, in the case of eva, I often think "What is this??" the first time haha
As "Megumi Ogata" I don't really understand. I think "Why do you say this?" or "Why do you do this?"
However, when I read it as Shinji, it all connects neatly. It's strange but...
Ide: It's not that Anno says something but rather when you start taking in the role of Shinji that it feels like that?
Ogata: Yes. Looking at the script with Shinji's feelings, it's natural. If this happens in reality, it seems natural. Besides, even if there are some worries left, you can understand it when you see the film.
The film is made so carefully, and even if there are still things I don't understand, when I throw a line at another voice actor, my heart moves in a natural flow.
Ide: You can get into the role.
Ogata: People in other roles may have been quite annoyed. If I was Misato-san, I might have been worried about "What is an AT field?" and "What is an umbilical cable?" but I'm Shin-chan, so I don't know how difficult that is. I didn't have to (know) haha.
Therefore, Eva is still not a difficult work for me. Rather, it is a natural depiction of an ordinary 14 year old boy, who is a mundane (day-to-day) production, develops in such an environment.
Ide: I see, is that so?

Ogata: However, for the customers (consumers), they are also watching the scenes of characters other than Shin-chan, so you might think "what's this?". As a spectator this time, when I saw the completed movie version, I thought "Oh I don't understand" haha
Ide: As expected haha
Ogata: But actually, there were some scenes in this movie that I didn't understand when I saw the script. The flow of feelings is cut off by all means. So if I went into dubbing as it was, it would take time and cause trouble for the people around me, so I called Director Anno. Afterall, I met the day before dubbing and spoke (with him) for about 4 hours. To talk about my questions and get an explanation...
In some cases, I could understand like "Oh, I see", in other cases, there were things the director was convinced of (that I had to accept).
However, since the film is already made, the only place it was possible to make a change was where the picture was not changed (as in, can't change lip sync).

No. 076-077
Ogata (presumed): ...after all, there were two places where the lines changed.
Ide: Where exactly is that?
Ogata: The first place was when Misato died when Shin-chan got down by the elevator and the first machine was stuck in bakelite.
Shin-chan says while holding his knees "Because I can't pilot the Eva, there's nothing I can do." At first, it was a line that said "I should have come."
So I was indignant, "What could I have done so suddenly?"
Ide: That's right, if you got that far, it won't work. Misato is dead too.
Ogata: Misato told me so far, no matter how weak I was, you're a man now, and in that case, take action! haha
But when I tried to get on, I couldn't. I knew it.
I wouldn't have had a strong impetus to break Bakelite, so the result was the picture of me holding my knees, but I wonder if I could have made you feel like I was enroute.
So after all, it was like that.
Ide: It's deep haha.
Ogata: The second place was when Shin-chan, who saw Asuka messed up, I put in some ad libs. But in the script, "I saw Unit 02 was cut off by the Eva series" it was written as "just a crying throat"
So I said "why are you only crying?" haha. No matter how much it is, when I see Unit 2 being done in like that, I wonder if it feels like 'Chikusho', at least. (The only think I could find about Chikusho was a REALLY weird surreal youtube channel.)
Shinji said he never wanted to fight.
I understand that.
There was nothing good between Shinji and Eva, so doesn't like it anymore.
Ayanami died because I piloted the Eva, Touji was hurt, Asuka went crazy, and Kaworu was killed.
So I think I didn't want to fight, but I thought that if I had Misato there, I would have a little more to strive for as a human being.
His feeling of lethargy at the time was clearly different from the earlier ones. How many lessons to overcome despair.
It may be said that he's an adult now.
So I don't think I'm willing to pilot aggressively or fight against enemies, but I'm sure there's still a feeling to push for more, something I'd like to see.
Even if it changes to 'Chikusho', Shin-chan doesn't do anything and can't do it haha.
Ide: But Shinji surpassed Amuro (Amuro Ray, Gundam Character) thanks to doing nothing.
I was wondering when Shinji was going to surpass Amuro. You did in the movie. I think it's a really new hero image.
THE DIRECTOR SAID "PLEASE SYNCHRONISE THE LAST SCENE WITH ME."
Ide: How was the last seen of the movie as Ms. Ogata?
Ogata: That's a strange story, but when I retook the dubbing, I finally got the feeling.
The scene that gave me a retake was the last scene and the living room scene with Asuka.
I didn't really understand the last scene.
So, as usual, I heard of it the day before dubbing.

No. 078-079
Ogata: There is an eye catch in front of the scene with that. (アイキャッチ - eye catch- short clip used to begin and end commercial breaks on Japanese TV) At this time, the end is the epilogue at the end.
You can think that it's a continuation of the previous scene, or that there was no previous scene.
Director Anno wanted to create a scene that could be interpreted in any way.
At that time, the scene direction only said "Sorry, please synchronise with me, not Shinji."
He was a little surprised, but he asked "Then how do you feel about the director? What do you think?" Until then, in 'Eva', I was asked to have a high synchronisation rate with Anno.
But Anno is anno, and I am a completely different person, so to be completely the same...
That's why I just talked about it... I wanted to cry when I was able to communicate. It was still good, but I wasn't sure what it was like to strangle someone.
Ide: Well, that's true isn't it.
Ogata: At the time of dubbing my main line, my mood was before the eye catch. I feel like "I'm an adult Shin-chan". When I saw it as an audience member, I thought the tone of voice became more mature haha
Ide: You're talking about yourself haha.
Ogata: Yeah haha. Anyway, I was still at a loss when I was on the main line. But at the time of the retake, I did the last scene right after the scene of the screaming "wow aaahh" which means "everyone should die!"
I felt connected for the first time at that time. During the deep, painful, and sad "Die!"
By touching upon that, I made an effort to expand the overlapping part of the Shinji in me and the Shinji in Anno-san, the part of our greatest common denominator.
Especially in the movie version "This synchronisation rate has been requested more here than in the TV series, but the most deeply requested scene was the last one."
But even if I say it, I can't be me unless my feelings are so. It wouldn't be real, so what am I to do? I was worried if I could become one. But I have to do it. So, at that time, Anno was asked to play the moment when he was able to hug himself for the first time.
Ide: Then, for Anno, that scene is in the direction of brass (colloquial?).
Ogata: That's right. That warmth made me OK for the first time. After that, being mute is not allowable.
Ide: It's difficult dubbing, isn't it?
Ogata: It is. At the time of retake, I really strangled Miyamura once. Actually pulled her down to the floor and sat on her. That's why Miyamura's voice couldn't come out for awhile, which was crazy. Ah, of course I adjusted it haha (for her health, so she wouldn't die).
However, there was a time when we (our performance) wasn't given the OK even after I tried several times and it did not go well. So I thought I'd actually try it (choking). I'm glad I didn't become a real murderer haha.
Ide: Amazing. Did you actually do it?
Ogata: No, well, of course that time was special haha. Anyway, the hint (direction) when I played was right where the third impact occured, but of course, as Anno said...

No. 080-081
"You can take it either way."
It should be in the film.. I think it's up to the viewer to think what they think.
Ide: As an example, when Director Anno asked Ms. Ogata to "become me", what was Asuka for him?
Ogata: When I heard that... there was still a line that Miyamura was supposed to speak.
Ide: It seems the last line had changed.
Ogata: Yeah.
But can I say this? Please check it later. It seems to be modelled after a situation that actually happened to a woman Anno knew.
She was being strangled, and at the moment she thought she might be killed—not Anno-san, by the way, just in case—She wanted to caress him, and that's when he came back to reality...
Maybe that's what they thought I should try.
I'm not the director, so I don't know if it's true or not, but for me, the ending before the eye catch was a mental/spiritual ending, and the scene at the end is a real ending.
It was like a snap back to reality, The dubbing was also very real and it was accompanied by a real experience.
Ide: I see.
Ogata: It's a bit of a dirty story, but I was really into the scene as I cried and drooled. I couldn't even blink, my mouth was open, I felt like I was going to die. That's why when I finished that scene, I felt like I was home again... I was happy.
After the OK was given, Miyamura and I hugged.
So, as soon as I was relaxed, it suddenly cooled down and I heard the words "I don't want to be killed by you, I don't want to die."
The moment he heard that story, Anno said "This is the End of Eva!", It seems he thought that. I'm sure Anno-san actually has various ways to settle love and hate around us. You, I think I wanted to tell you. For the time being, I'm glad Anno-san gave me the OK haha
Ide: I thought that when I saw it for the second time, but it felt like I woke up in a dream for a moment. It also felt like Shinji-kun noticed something. So I was always wondering if this should be considered as a different thing.
Well, it may be extra care, but the customers were pleased haha. Anno-san was too. I asked him to smile as if he had never seen such a refreshing face on himselfbefore haha.
Both the audio mixer and the assistant had a nice smile. I was happy.
THE "REALITY" OF ALL THE STAFF HAS COME TO FRUITION IN THE LAST SCENE
Ide: How did it compare to the TV ending?
Ogata: During this time, I happened to see a rebroadcast of Eva in the middle of the night. It was just around the final episode. But after doing the movie, I thought "This was a really happy ending" haha.
But that was what Anno-san and his colleagues wanted to do at the time.
Ide: The mystery wasn't even revealed in the movies.

No. 082-083 (083 is just an image)
Ogata: When I got a letter from a fan of Eva, that's all there was to it. I don't know it, if you were to ask me haha.
There are a lot of people who are trying to solve the mystery, not the story.
Ide: When I saw it the first time, it was OK, but when I saw it the second time, I was worried about it. Maybe every time I see it, I will feel zigzaged (between those thoughts).
Ogata: After all, I think it's a good piece of work, and if it isn't a work that makes you want to see it two or three times, then I think it isn't entertainment.
I think that CDs you want to listen to many times and plays you want to watch many times are good works.
Ide: I also say it every time, but there is a director who can express works that rival that level in live action.
I think that level comes from Akira Kurosawa haha
Ogata: I'm looking forward to Anno's next film.
By the way, Ms. Ogata, do you think it was a good thing to redo episodes 25 and 26 in the movie?
Ogata: Yeah... but I think it was good that they ended up on TV alone. After all, it seems to be the end of a real battle! haha.
The realism of the staff, including the director, is put in, and I think that the end is energetic and wonderful. The movie is a movie, and the part that was born from the passage of time was added, and it became such a form. I think it was also fun because it had a different taste.
Ide: But to me it feels like "Shinji Ikari!"

No. 084-085
Ogata: Thank you! I'm glad because there are many people who say Shin-chan is pathetic haha
Ide: That is not the case, Shinji did well.
So, to conclude, what was Eva for you, Ms. Ogata?
Ogata: It's kinda strange, but it was a work in which time passed more realistically than other anime works, so I feel like it was a real war for me, and I didn't know that at all. I feel like I've seen my own part. It was amazing to make a professional work. For example, when it comes to recording, you can take a lot of time and communicate properly with the staff. The stage is similar to that, isn't it? If anything, I prefer that way of doing it.
So in reality, I always that it was my mission in Eva to talk about the director's intentions and other things, and then to act realistically in the work. I think this is also due to the good films and actors who have prepared an environment where I can hit the roles as much as I can. That is to say that it will not be possible unless really great talants and passions are gathered. I don't think there are many such valuable works, and I don't know if they will contniue. So, as a professional... i think I was very happy to be given such a site as a professional rather than an amature. Thank you very much for your hard work. I would like to take the time to thank you. Thank you very much.
Ide: Looking at Eva, it doesn't seem so much like a job anymore.
Ogata: You can tell that everyone really likes and enjoys doing it. In a sense, I think I'd be happy to put it that way. But in the professional world... it's difficult because of money and time issues...
Ide: It seems that the TV version was being followed for a considerable amount of time.
Ogata: That's right. It must be professional, including that "is it really professional?" question. Anyway, I was given various situations including communication. This is rarely the case. I was happy. I think I was very free. Even if the sound is a little cracked, it's because my feelings are natural. Thanks to that, in the spring movie "Death and Rebirth", it was really hard to play in the theatre, so there were quite a few places where I re-recorded it haha
But that's why, although there are many criticisms, I think it's a great work that proves that even as a professional job, you can still make such works in this way. Therefore, I hope that this Eva will spread in a good way and become a fertilizer for various various other jobs.
Ide: In a word, what is your feeling for Eva?
Ogata: If it's just one word, it's "great work". And "thank you"
Ide: What would you say if you were told to do Shinji again?
Ogata: No, I say I can't do it anymore haha
Shinji in me is finished, I forgot my voice haha
That is a joke. It was painful but it was really fun.
Thank you to all the people involved and the fans.

If a part isn't clear enough, lmk and I'll go over it again. Already did that for the part about Anno's female friend.

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:35 pm

I posted my 72nd Evangelion book review today! This time, it's Evangelion ANIMA 5, the final volume of Ikuto Yamashita’s ANIMA story! I didn't get too deeply into the plot, because I would like people to support the official English release if they're interested (and for those who do want to discuss plot details, EvaGeeks already has a thread devoted to ANIMA anyway). However, please note that the review still reveals a few story details in the pictures and such, so keep that in mind if you haven't read the book yet and want to avoid spoilers. ^_^

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:56 pm

Thanks as always. ANIMA remains my favorite candidate for a future animated adaptation of questionable quality.

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:07 am

Yeah, as a new Evangelion anime it would be really... out there... although at least we would get to see Asuka on a motorcycle. :D

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:09 pm

I posted my seventy-third Evangelion book review today! This time, it's
Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Q Zen Kiroku Zenshuu Visual Story Ban, the first volume of the Complete Records Collection for the You Can (Not) Redo movie. For those of you who like to keep track of how many different nicknames there are for Tentative Name: Rei Ayanami, I would like to point out that the Japanese text in this book refers to her as “Betsu Rei” which means “Different Rei” or “Another Rei”.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the review!
Last edited by Literary Eagle on Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:28 pm

Oh wow, you're really on top of things! Thanks! Is there any new info in that "additional scenario" section? It sounds interesting.

Will you be getting the full CRC eventually? I'm sure you understand our interest in getting it translated.

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:39 pm

Thanks for your interest! The “additional scenario” pages seem to be background dialogue and Next Time previews, although maybe someone better/faster at reading kanji would be able to figure out if there's anything juicy in there.

Yes, I do intend to get the other volumes of the CRC when they become available. I'm so excited that a CRC for this movie is finally becoming a reality! :D

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:58 pm

I posted my seventy-fourth Evangelion book review today! This time, it's Shin Evangelion Gekijouban Memorial Album, a special item from the Evangelion Store. It's a nifty photo album devoted to scenes from the movie Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time. I hope you enjoy the review!

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:01 pm

I posted my seventy-fifth Evangelion book review today! This time, it's Evangelion no Yuru~i Nakama Yurushito desu. This is a NEW BOOK that came out a few weeks ago, and it gives amusing Japanese nicknames to the 3rd and 7th NTE Angels that are sometimes called "Tunniel" and "Clockiel" by the English-speaking fandom. Want to know what those Angels are called in this book? You'll have to read the review to find out! :wink:

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:04 pm

Thanks LE! Glad to see you're still at it!

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:50 pm

Thank you, FelipeFritschF! I'm glad you're still enjoying the book reviews. ^_^

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”