The Future of Evangelion Fanfiction (Split)

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Asugran233
Lilith

The Future of Evangelion Fanfiction (Split)

•      
  •      

Postby Asugran233 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:23 am

Mr. , Mr. what to do here, I'm asking, nothing, nothing, Evangelion is over so there's no point in doing fanfiction. :asuka_miffed:

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: The Highly Incomplete And Inofficial Encyclopedia of Fanfictions

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:36 am

View Original PostAsugran233 wrote:Mr. , Mr. what to do here, I'm asking, nothing, nothing, Evangelion is over so there's no point in doing fanfiction. :asuka_miffed:

If you consider that Evangelion is a multiverse since the manga, NGE and Rebuild are not the same worlds and there could be thousands of other AU worlds out there, then there are thousands of possibilities and pairing choices along with crossovers.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Asugran233
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Asugran233 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:40 am

Mr. , Mr. you don't understand there's just no reason to make a fanfics, Evangelion is dead, and Evangelion's fanfics are dead.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:11 am

Nothing to write about a 14-year void? Nothing to write about how things work out after the end? Truly a lack of imagination is being displayed!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:59 am

View Original PostAsugran233 wrote:Mr. , Mr. you don't understand there's just no reason to make a fanfics, Evangelion is dead, and Evangelion's fanfics are dead.

Evangelion isn't dead though? In much the same way that so many other franchises that have closed stories aren't dead. Lord Of The Rings isn't dead, Harry Potter (As much as I'm not a fan of it anymore) isn't dead.

There are still things to explore in the world of fanfiction. As someone alluded to, there is a 14 year gap in the story you could play with, you could do something after 3.0+1.0, a lovely domestic story about friends finding one another again, struggles in home life, nice slice of life stuff. You could do a what if? What if one thing had gone differently? You could do you own version of Evangelion with its own rules and parameters? You could do a crossover?

Just because the movies are done and finished, doesn't mean you can't still have fun with the universe and write fanfiction. Fanfic is about the what ifs and the never was's. It's about exploring different themes and having fun. There is always scope to do something else.

Asugran233
Lilith

Re: The Future of Evangelion Fanfiction (Split)

•      
  •      

Postby Asugran233 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:22 am

All in all ... you're right, but translating to it happened in me...I have asperger disease and you know how it is with such people, but going to the point after watching the movie, I cried out of pain that this was the end that I was dispiritedness, even once I had three suicidal thoughts but thanks to you I was fine.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:08 am

View Original PostAsugran233 wrote:All in all ... you're right, but translating to it happened in me...I have asperger disease and you know how it is with such people, but going to the point after watching the movie, I cried out of pain that this was the end that I was dispiritedness, even once I had three suicidal thoughts but thanks to you I was fine.

A lot of people felt the same after EOE/NGE but the fanart/fanfiction kept it going for decades until the rebuild movies. So long as this side keeps going, I just don't see it dying. ^_^
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:58 am

Eh, I don't know. Now that 3.0 + 1.0 is out and I know the ending, I don't know whether I should keep my AU going anymore. At this point, any ending that isn't happy ending is spitting in the face of the original and I don't want that, not to mention accusations that I'm ripping off the original's multiverse idea and trying to pass it off as my own.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

The18°angel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The18°angel » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:28 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Eh, I don't know. Now that 3.0 + 1.0 is out and I know the ending, I don't know whether I should keep my AU going anymore. At this point, any ending that isn't happy ending is spitting in the face of the original and I don't want that, not to mention accusations that I'm ripping off the original's multiverse idea and trying to pass it off as my own.

Well is just and ending and if you think about endings Evangelion have 2 anime endings, one manga ending and the rebuild ending that if we just count those main continuitys, and the multiverse idea just give it your own twist and thats it, and for the ending it does not need to be a happy ending, But a good ending for your story be it bittersweets, or apocaliptical or "happy".

And the Evangelion endings got closer to "happy" with each iteration so i don't think you would be spitting in the original ending

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:38 am

View Original PostThe18°angel wrote:Well is just and ending and if you think about endings Evangelion have 2 anime endings, one manga ending and the rebuild ending that if we just count those main continuitys, and the multiverse idea just give it your own twist and thats it, and for the ending it does not need to be a happy ending, But a good ending for your story be it bittersweets, or apocaliptical or "happy".

And the Evangelion endings got closer to "happy" with each iteration so i don't think you would be spitting in the original ending

It's probably just me, although there's no denying the fact that the fandom, as far as fanfiction writing goes, is kinda beyond its expiration date now, compared to 11-12 years ago. Most readers and writers have moved on, no more over-the-top crazy crack fics behind every corner and the huge intervals between the Rebuild movies aren't really helpful in keeping up the audience's interest. Compare that to Gundam, which is an even older franchise, yet has been getting new material every few years for the past decade - and indeed, when I write for it, it gets a helluva lot more attention than anything I've ever written for Eva. Eva's strength is in the stories of its characters, but those stories have been endlessly re-told zillions of times now, making it really hard for the fanfic reading audience to care anymore because there's simply nothing left to add.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:43 am

You know you say that, but even ten years out I still get the occasional trickle of reviews from someone reading Last Child of Krytpon: Redux for the first time. There’s still readers out there.

It’s kind of a shame that none of the 300+ chapter ultra zany ongoing fics are updating anymore, but burnout is inevitable when the story doesn’t have a planned ending even if there’s a planned middle. I always have an ending or a big climactic scene in mind when I start.

Personally, I’m not interested in chasing stats, not anymore. I was for a while but I’ve moved past that. I just re-read a bunch of my older stuff and I was surprised by it. I don’t really remember writing it (in the time since I abandoned Age of Marvels, I’ve written about 30 original novels and my fanfic days are kind of a blur) so it’s fun go go back through it, and in some cases, kind of daunting. I think my quick output burnout phase as an actual working writer hurt my creative output, or maybe there was just so much passion in those stories that the stuff I wrote commercially, especially at the peak of my burnout when I was writing trash and it felt like grinding gears, can’t compare.

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:55 am

If the Worm fandom can endlessly regurgitate crappy alt-power fics and give each of those hundreds of likes a chapter despite their writing quality being worse than your average isekai light novel, then Evangelion fanfiction still has a long future ahead of it.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:38 pm

But that's the thing: I don't want the Eva fandom to degenerate to that point. Quantity without quality isn't enough.

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:18 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:But that's the thing: I don't want the Eva fandom to degenerate to that point. Quantity without quality isn't enough.

What I meant is that Evangelion fanfiction has been going steady for like 25 years without degenerating to the point Worm's fanfics did in a fraction of the time. There was like, what, an eleven year timespan between EoE and the first Rebuild movie? Eva was "done" for years and its fans were still producing quality fanfiction. So I don't think Eva fanfic is going to get bad or fade away any time soon.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:47 am

I think Anno doing what he did with rebuilds 3/4 movie I feel was to get the creative side thinking as he was saying this doesn't have to be in school, they can be aged up you don't have to just do series/EOE stories anymore you can do new things try new things and take real risks.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:49 am

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:you don't have to just do series/EOE stories anymore you can do new things try new things and take real risks.

On paper, yes, but people don't actually read those kinds of stories. Trust me, I know.

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:33 pm

Well I’m working on a big epic again so at least there’s that

John Spangler
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby John Spangler » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:00 am

View Original PostNatalie the Cat wrote:Well I’m working on a big epic again so at least there’s that

Great news! Can't wait to read it!

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:09 am

View Original PostNatalie the Cat wrote:Well I’m working on a big epic again so at least there’s that

Praise Be

SPOILER: Show

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:28 am

Awesome :w00t:

Return to “Fanfiction”