Lilith's scar

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:47 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:Hey guys, does the scar on Lilith look to be in the same area that Shinji ripped Rei out of Zeruel?

No.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:33 pm

View Original PostunitM wrote:Misato and Lilith. Both are connected through 2nd impact.

Lilith doesn't have anything to do with 2I, as far as we know.

Also, Misato probably had a huge scar in the original series for the same reason that her dad was bleeding through his parka all over -- odds are he shielded her from shrapnel, but couldn't prevent Misato from taking something in the chest. When she was recovered from the capsule, they had to enlarge the wound to get everything out, plenty of stitches, and voila. Totally mundane scar.

Lilith's scar looks more like the weird cross-shaped craters in ENT, besides.

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:Hey guys, does the scar on Lilith look to be in the same area that Shinji ripped Rei out of Zeruel?

The boobed out version of the 10th kept its core in the clavicular region, which is above where Lil's scar is.

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:54 pm

Lilith doesn't have anything to do with 2I, aside from Lilith being Lilith and 2I being 2I. :rolleyes:

The fact that Lilith and Misato share the exact same scar disqualifies it from being a mundane scar; the very definition of mundane is inappropriate. Is it important? Perhaps not. Is it an object of interest? It can certainly be seen as such. There is a unique scar shape both seen on Misato and Lilith.

"Odds are" is a speculation on your part, just as I am speculating on mine. A speculation can't discredit a speculation - only evidence can.

I understand that my previous post was a heavy jump to conclusions. Just because, possibly, they were sucking something out of Lilith doesn't mean they were draining Misato the same way. However, the very fact that they have the same scar implies there is a connection between the two. Whether the connection is explored or not might be less than rewarding but that doesn't go to say that a uniquely-shaped scar is mundane.

So, again: operating under the assumption that something was, indeed, pumped out of Lilith(we can clearly see Lilith has already been tampered with - her mask is exchanged onto an Evangelion unit on the moon), there is a question I'd like to pose: what if, whatever was removed from Misato was also important(in the same way as Lilith is to the series)? What if there are undocumented effects of 2I? Misato survived the Impact the same way both times but came out with different damages. This means that the events of 2I must have strayed from the original NGE series - otherwise, Misato would have the scar(and perhaps not Lilith).

Reichu: "When she was recovered from the capsule, they had to enlarge the wound to get everything out..." and if the "everything out" was of special value?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:15 am

View Original PostunitM wrote::rolleyes:

I think this emoticon says all that needs be said.

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:17 pm

Really? You're not going to go with :facepalm: , :bigeyes: , or (a personal favourite) :cringe: ?

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:02 pm

What's all this about Lilith "clearly" being tampered with anyway? Or Misato and Lilith having the "exact same scar" when the Misato and Lilith in question aren't even from the same continuity? In this continuity, Lilith has the bird-mask from the start, and I don't recall seeing Misato with a scar. Saying that Lilith must have had the Seele mask at some point in the past just because a production sketch had her with it makes about as much sense as saying NGE Kaworu definitely had a cat before his on-screen appearance because he had it in the series proposal. And I really don't get the logic of reasoning backwards from Lilith's scar to a suggestion that Misato's scar in the older show must have had a similar meaning -- as if viewers from the time could see into the future and be all excited that Misato has the same scar that Lilith will have in a movie that's coming out over a decade later.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:22 pm

Where did we get to see Misato’s scar in NTE anyway? For all we know, Misato’s scar has the same fate that Jet Alone did in NTE: nonexistent in the story thus far.

(FINAL could pull a fast one on us though, and make so Wille was working on the Jet Alone robot these 14 years, and it accidentally cuts Misato on the chest on its maiden voyage.)

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:51 am

I'd laugh if we got a JA homage in Final. At this point, though, who knows?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:39 am

View Original PostunitM wrote:Lilith doesn't have anything to do with 2I, aside from Lilith being Lilith and 2I being 2I. :rolleyes:

I'm really not seeing the connection.

The fact that Lilith and Misato share the exact same scar disqualifies it from being a mundane scar;

First, no it doesn't; coincidence is a thing. Second, what scar? Where have we seen Misato's scar in the new movies? I can't recall a single instance of it.

View Original PostunitM wrote:Really? You're not going to go with :facepalm: , :bigeyes: , or (a personal favourite) :cringe: ?

Dude, c'mon. You're just making yourself look bad here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:37 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Second, what scar? Where have we seen Misato's scar in the new movies? I can't recall a single instance of it.

It's briefly visible during one of the montage scenes of 2.0, when Misato is passed out in her room and Pen Pen is caught in her clothing. I'm fairly certain that's the one and only time it's been shown this time around.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:48 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:It's briefly visible during one of the montage scenes of 2.0, when Misato is passed out in her room and Pen Pen is caught in her clothing. I'm fairly certain that's the one and only time it's been shown this time around.

Looking again, we do see part of it, yes. But it's not in the same position as Lilith's scar; it's lower on her torso, and running in the opposite direction to boot. It isn't even similar in shape. I can't see any connection whatsoever between the two.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:55 am

There could be a thematic and symbolic connection between the scars that doesn't require they look exactly the same nor preclude a mundane in-universe explanation for Misato's injury.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:03 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:There could be a thematic and symbolic connection between the scars that doesn't require they look exactly the same nor preclude a mundane in-universe explanation for Misato's injury.

I agree with that much, yes.

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:13 pm

I wasn't pointing out that there was a connection between the two; I was merely suggesting that they are both relatively significant characters that played important roles in events leading up to the current Eva-verse.

First, yes it does. Before you try saying something that is wrong, you should actually check whether you're right. Coincidence is not in the scope of a conversation around the word "mundane" - pay attention please. The possibility of a very unusual scar being prominent on Misato and also Lilith can be considered coincidence but it also may not be. And second, I am of course referring to NGE Misato's scar.
But that's NGE and this is NTE!!!

Well, yes, but there have been several scenes depicting characters and events happening from the previous series. Anno has, at least, hinted at things carrying over. That doesn't mean that they have but it certainly does leave the possibility.

If I'm looking myself bad here, and you're having trouble following our conversation, then, damn. I'd rather you not reply at all.

There probably is one, Chuck.

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:10 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I'd laugh if we got a JA homage in Final. At this point, though, who knows?

This did age well! :D

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Lilith's scar

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:14 am

It did, holy shit xD
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: Lilith's scar

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:55 am

In case nobody pointed this out already, the bottom sketch from Yamashita that was posted earlier on this thread shows an umbilical cord coming out of Lilith, with the words "umbilical cord" (へそのお) written beside.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”