Why can't EVA continue with different series like Gundam?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Why can't EVA continue with different series like Gundam?

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:19 pm

Yes, but people said the same thing about having Gundam without Amuro and Char, or without the struggle between Zeon and the Earth Federation, and look where we are now. The same would absolutely be possible for Eva, it's just that someone has to do it to prove that it is. the alternative is going the route of the various Getter Robo anime installments, which barring the current Getter Arc hasn't been doing very hot for over a decade at this point; if you always cycle back to the original, only pander to the nostalgia for the first installment, that will kill a franchise as time goes on and less people grew up with the original.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:16 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Yes, but people said the same thing about having Gundam without Amuro and Char, or without the struggle between Zeon and the Earth Federation, and look where we are now. The same would absolutely be possible for Eva, it's just that someone has to do it to prove that it is. the alternative is going the route of the various Getter Robo anime installments, which barring the current Getter Arc hasn't been doing very hot for over a decade at this point; if you always cycle back to the original, only pander to the nostalgia for the first installment, that will kill a franchise as time goes on and less people grew up with the original.

Amuro was protagonist only the first year of Gundam. He was replaced as a protagonist for the second Gundam series. Although Amuro is a popular character, the franchise has not become so extremely associated with him.

A franchise that wants to last indefinitely would need to replace the main character pretty quickly. Of course, it also needs new popular seasons attracting new audience.

Don't misunderstand me, I totally understand your point that the Evangelion franchise will have problems if it always depends on the same characters. However, I think it is too late to go in the direction of new characters (Evangelion is too associated with Shinji).
Last edited by Konja7 on Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:27 pm

I'd argue that we're still a solid bit away from that point; this comparison is a bit wonky if you stretch it too far, but in a way, right now Eva is at the point of CCA; a soplid few installments in, at a comfortable resting spot. Now would be the perfect time to bring in something new; maybe not a change as radical as G Gundam, but now (read as: a few years down the line, instead of doing another reboot) would be the perfect time to make that change
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

jedi_spectre1
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jedi_spectre1 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:57 am

I personally think the best we can hope for is a bit of both. We will probably, if we get more series, which I believe we will, get a few shows with new characters and a few that bring back the OG cast. I doubt Khara would want to completely move on from Shinji and the gang.

Sort of off topic, but if we ever would get a wacky, off brand Evangelion spin off, I personally would want to see a more real robots take on Evangelion. Instead of the pilots fighting angels, Evangelions are weapons in human warfare. You could still have the base themes of the franchise, but really shake it up.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”