GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:54 am

Two new editions are the Collector's Edition and the Standard Edition. The Collector's has the ADV dub, though the Standard does not. The Collector's can be brought from Shout! Factory and Rightstuf, and the Standard can be purchased from Amazon, Walmart, Shout! Factory and Rightstuf.
Neither have the Laserdisc art, but the Collector's does have a 40 page booklet excerpted from the 156 page Ultimate Edition booklet. It also has 8 beautiful art cards that are also in the Ultimate, which you might recognise most as being from the Platinum DVD covers! There are none of these things for the Standard, which only contains the DVDs for the Japanese subs and English Netflix dub.
Special features are mostly consistent between all 3 releases, though the Standard does not have the ADV dub or the Video Format version of EOE. Aside from that, everything is the same between all releases in terms of bonus features.
Here's where you can see all of the comparisons between releases: https://store.gkids.com/pages/neon-gene ... comparison
The Collector's is $175, the Standard is $46. These appear to be a sale price, btw. So far it seems they can only actually be purchased from the GKIDS page, as for me none of the other pages give me a product page for the editions, but that might've changed as it was only put up a short time ago.
Also, for the digital release: November 2nd is when you can start buying from all major platforms :)
Hope this helps, everyone!
wait waht

bulwhark
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby bulwhark » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:01 am

So $125 difference between Ultimate and Collector's edition gets you:

LaserDisc artwork (OK)
Sachiel paperweight (meh)
Nerv ID card and lanyard (meh, might get used if I don't lose it and feel safe enough to go to another con)
Exclusive art cards (meh, someone will scan them and put it online)
156 page book vs 40 page book (depends what gets cut)

I put in my order for Ultimate as soon as the timer ran out but I'm looking at the differences and seriously just going with the Collector's edition. The stuff I really care about is all there. Just don't know if that fluff is enough to get the completionist in me to hand over the dough.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:57 am

The GKids FAQs page says the Standard Edition ships the week of November 9. So that'll be out a month before the Ultimate & Collector's Editions.

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:45 am

My guess is that's because it's easier to manufacture, what with there not being nearly as much as the other releases. I was wondering - People edited Fly Me to the Moon into the Netflix release, and this may be a stupid question to ask so sorry if it is, but would it be possible to put Fly Me to the Moon into the discs ourselves?
wait waht

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:51 am

Sure, there are ways of taking the files from your blu-ray, editing them to include Fly Me to the Moon intact, and then burning them onto another blu-ray disc. Just depends on the tech you have and your ability to use it.

The Collector's Edition is already sold out on GKids' store. I'd say it's likely to sell out on Rightstuf and Shout Factory's sites (Shout Factory hasn't listed it yet) later today at this rate.

I think I'll just stick with my pre-order for the Ultimate Edition. I like the packaging more and would prefer the non-digest version of the book; might use the lanyard some too.

I will say, while it was a bad decision from the start, limiting the availability of the ADV and Manga dubs should have been stopped the moment it was decided to use the old cast for the Amazon dubs. We're about to be right back where we have been where the ADV and Manga dubs are only available through out of print releases and anyone coming into the franchise via NTE have to pay scalper prices to own the show with (mostly) the same voice cast.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:57 am

I for one am pretty happy for the modestly priced "Standard Edition"
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:29 am

The size difference between the Ultimate and the other editions are HUGE

SPOILER: Show
wait waht

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:32 am

The only benefit laserdisc ever had was the glorious amount of real estate for jacket art. I miss that with the tiny disc boxes.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:35 am

Looks like I'll be getting the standard edition for $50. Can't justify an extra $125 to get access to the classic dub (the only extra feature I care about), that's one hell of a paywall. I would have gladly payed $80 or $100 for a CE with the original dub, but not $175.

I'm not keen on pre-ordering these days, so I'll probably just pick it up at Wal-Mart. It's going to be a long wait 'til November.
[Redacted]

heavyR
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby heavyR » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:38 am

I briefly considered trying to skip out on my Ultimate pre-order and go for the Collectors set, but I think I'll hang onto the Ultimate and appreciate finally owning everything in a nice set with the full ~150 page booklet. I don't own much print material for Eva, only Side B of that official episode/movie guide.

Honestly, I will likely continue watching my 1080p MKV copies with the Sephirotic subs and color corrections for Episode 19. I prefer his subs for End of Evangelion anyway; I watch it with the Netflix english voices + Sephirotic subs because I can't stand the EoE Manga sound effects, but also I'm too ADD to fully commit to Japanese audio with subs. I have a Plex server and I can watch those copies from anywhere at anytime without a disc, so this set will mostly be a nice shelf piece that I occasionally pull out for the extras.

The Ultimate edition is expensive, but Eva is the only anime I have continued watching throughout the years since I first saw it via RealPlayer video files back in 1999, so I feel like I should own the closest thing the US will get to a complete Blu Ray release. Maybe by the time there's an 8K reissue of the series they'll get the rights worked out for Fly me to the Moon!

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:05 pm

The Ultimate and Collector's editions are 11 disks, whereas the Standard is 5 disks. Given that the difference is the disks with the old dub and sub, and the on-disk extras are the same, bar one, I'd expected there to be less than double the number of disks for the big editions; it seems to me that must mean that the Standard Edition is encoded at a lower bit rate.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:37 pm

The standard release discs will be identical to those in the other collections. It's just missing the four discs that contain the ADV dubs/subs of the series, the disc containing the Manga dubs/subs of the movies, and the disc containing the home video versions of 25' and 26'.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:32 pm

Biggest problem for me is finding out where the hell I'm gonna put the Ultimate edition. I'm probably gonna frame the artwork.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:20 pm

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:Yes, I would've liked historical versions of 21-24

Historical? Calling the OA episodes "historical" and treating their omission as just a regrettable mistake because the DC episodes are included is comparable to considering EoTV as a historical relic because EoE exists; we'd all be rightfully up in arms if the release didn't include episodes 25 and 26, and the OA 21 through 24 deserve that same level of respect. They are definitely skippable, in the same way that Death is skippable, but removing either makes it hard to call it a "complete" release of the series.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:57 am

How are the broadcast versions of 21-24 anywhere near as essential to include as the TV ending? The TV ending is a completely different, separate work from EoE, while the only difference with broadcast 21-24 is that they’re shorter and have worse animation. The Japanese home video releases didn’t even include them until Renewal, so I find it hard to accept them as essential to the series. It would be nice for them to be included, but I’m not bothered by their absence.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:48 am

View Original PostheavyR wrote:I don't own much print material for Eva, only Side B of that official episode/movie guide.

If it's a near-replication of the one that was with the Japanese BD, which it seems like it is, it will have pretty much all worthwhile production art (posters, promo images, character/mech design sheets from the laserdiscs/Die Sterne, etc.) and the proposal illustrations.

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Historical? Calling the OA episodes "historical" and treating their omission as just a regrettable mistake because the DC episodes are included is comparable to considering EoTV as a historical relic because EoE exists; we'd all be rightfully up in arms if the release didn't include episodes 25 and 26, and the OA 21 through 24 deserve that same level of respect. They are definitely skippable, in the same way that Death is skippable, but removing either makes it hard to call it a "complete" release of the series.

NGE was rushed, especially toward the latter end of the series. The director's cuts exist to make up for that fact. Not a single episode wasn't altered in some way as part of the new DVD releases in '03. Why not get similarly angry at Gainax themselves for calling the boxset "Archives of Evangelion," releasing it only on dvd, and that the Japanese BD didn't have these "archival" versions of 1-20?
Après moi le déluge!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:54 am

While I own the versions of Episodes 21-24 before the reanimations, and certainly appreciate the fact that I have them, I can say first hand that they are not worth modern international distribution. They just don’t hold up. Unlike EoTV, which was a bold and determined creative decision made on the 11th hour of production, true OA 21-24 look sloppy. The drawings that make up the animation look bad. Those episodes needed to have massive animation overhauls ever since their television broadcast, and that fact was even evident in the original television broadcasts themselves. I mean, just look at the quality of drawing they rested on for OA 22’s elevator scene.

That’s it. That’s the paused image that viewers had to look at for about a minute during awkward silence. It’s not even well drawn. It looks like the cheap Korean knock off Evangelion, especially when compared to the various home video releases where they reanimated the scene.

In this light, I can definitely understand Khara’s decision to just do the extended versions. Maybe I can understand a desire to have the reanimated scenes cut down to their original OA length (it certainly flows better for those to don’t want to end on EoE,) but if you’re gonna release the reanimated version, you might as well release the whole thing and just be done with it. GKIDS already had to have a whole separate disc set for the ADV dub just to maintain the highest possible quality throughout, so I don’t know if it’s justifiable to have a whole extra disc for OA edits at the highest possible quality on top of that. I mean, the last time someone borrowed my Eva set, they asked which version they should watch, and I said they could skip the OA episodes. I personally can’t justify extra Blu-ray Discs for episodes I would tell people to skip.

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:27 pm

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen the OAs, or if I did I would've blocked it out. Asuka doesn't even look like she's from the same show.
i want rebuild

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:38 pm

View Original PostGentlemanX wrote:I will say, while it was a bad decision from the start, limiting the availability of the ADV and Manga dubs should have been stopped the moment it was decided to use the old cast for the Amazon dubs. We're about to be right back where we have been where the ADV and Manga dubs are only available through out of print releases and anyone coming into the franchise via NTE have to pay scalper prices to own the show with (mostly) the same voice cast.

I'm REALLY f*cking pissed that the Standard Edition won't have the ADV dub and subs and your right. They should have stopped the whole issue with the ADV vs Netflix dub for the Bluray release when they brought Spike, Tiffany, Amanda, and Allison to redub the Rebuild for Amazon Prime. By making it so the only for a lot of fans to get a legal copy of the dub they grew up with (if you're close to my age of 28) is to spend almost TWO HUNDRED USD is a load of bull$h!t. If the Collectors Edition was under $150, then I would totally be willing to pay for this release, but $175 is WAY too much for someone with my kind of income Q_Q
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:50 pm

View Original Postbobgoesw00t wrote:
View Original PostGentlemanX#930354 wrote:I will say, while it was a bad decision from the start, limiting the availability of the ADV and Manga dubs should have been stopped the moment it was decided to use the old cast for the Amazon dubs. We're about to be right back where we have been where the ADV and Manga dubs are only available through out of print releases and anyone coming into the franchise via NTE have to pay scalper prices to own the show with (mostly) the same voice cast.

I'm REALLY f*cking pissed that the Standard Edition won't have the ADV dub and subs and your right. They should have stopped the whole issue with the ADV vs Netflix dub for the Bluray release when they brought Spike, Tiffany, Amanda, and Allison to redub the Rebuild for Amazon Prime. By making it so the only for a lot of fans to get a legal copy of the dub they grew up with (if you're close to my age of 28) is to spend almost TWO HUNDRED USD is a load of bull$h!t. If the Collectors Edition was under $150, then I would totally be willing to pay for this release, but $175 is WAY too much for someone with my kind of income Q_Q

Co-signed.

Hate to say it but I'm rather lukewarm over this release, I can begrudgingly accept the FMTTM debacle but this (among other certain aspects) has left me pretty cold.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”