Evangelion 3.333 Bluray coming out on 8/25

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Tlalac
Embryo

Re: Evangelion 3.333 Bluray coming out on 8/25

•      
  •      

Postby Tlalac » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:29 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Mine was delivered today, so I can take some pictures of how it looks on my 50" TV when I get home.

Thank you !

I read somewhere that it was 'upscaled 4K' so apprently not a new master...

Hope this looks better than what a modern TV upscale from 1080p source though
God's in His Heaven, Anno's in His thoughts, Everyone's trolled

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:45 am

It is a new master, I remember we had this conversation here. However, the original resolution wasn't even 2K-- because of how it was formatted on screen, it was more like a 720p render. In that same way, this is more like a 2K render upscaled at 4K. While there is upscaling involved, make no mistake: it is a new master.

The blu-ray comes with some nifty extra features, like the entire script on the disc and some cool making-of features. I'll need to watch them all to see what it's got, but it looks like there's plenty of extra content here in an attempt to justify the price.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:54 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:In that same way, this is more like a 2K render upscaled at 4K. While there is upscaling involved, make no mistake: it is a new master.

Yeah, I can't wait to see it!

Just a reminder, too, that all animation these days (even Disney Marvel CGI animation) is upscaled to 4K from a digitally rendered 2K source. When Khara remastered Eva Q to 2K, then upscaled to 4K, they were using a technical process very similar to the big-budget Hollywood films and applying it to Japanese animation.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:30 am

Hoping my copy arrives today. DHL says expected delivery is Thursday but just checked tracking and it arrived at the major airport 5 miles from my house this morning sooooo who knows.

Tlalac
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tlalac » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:50 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:It is a new master, I remember we had this conversation here. However, the original resolution wasn't even 2K-- because of how it was formatted on screen, it was more like a 720p render. In that same way, this is more like a 2K render upscaled at 4K. While there is upscaling involved, make no mistake: it is a new master.

The blu-ray comes with some nifty extra features, like the entire script on the disc and some cool making-of features. I'll need to watch them all to see what it's got, but it looks like there's plenty of extra content here in an attempt to justify the price.

OK thank you man !

I probably skipped this, because I 'm not following everything on the forum :bigeyes: -o-; :tongue:

So now i'm very excited to see this :D
God's in His Heaven, Anno's in His thoughts, Everyone's trolled

Fahrenberg_39
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fahrenberg_39 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:36 pm

With Q now being released on its 'definitive version' (at least for now), is there a possibility for Jo and Ha being re-released on 4K?

I mean, it would be strange for Q being the only one with the .XXX on its name.

Maybe the two of them on one package (1.111 & 2.222) and later on 3.333 and 3.03+1.01 on another single pack, who knows

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:47 pm

Received it today! In 4k the quality is fantastic. Other than that, it was totally pointless, it's just a collector item.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:15 pm

View Original PostFahrenberg_39 wrote:With Q now being released on its 'definitive version' (at least for now), is there a possibility for Jo and Ha being re-released on 4K?

I mean, it would be strange for Q being the only one with the .XXX on its name.

Maybe the two of them on one package (1.111 & 2.222) and later on 3.333 and 3.03+1.01 on another single pack, who knows

dw I’m sure Khara will not pass up the possibility to milk all their prior releases for every last yen. I’m still waiting for them to announce a 3+1 director’s cut with the missing scenes that would give Mari an actual character arc.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:38 pm

View Original PostJinroh wrote:Received it today! In 4k the quality is fantastic. Other than that, it was totally pointless, it's just a collector item.

No animation changes at all? Not even more details on the goofy lookin 2D
SPOILER: Show
EVA Infinity
skulls that fly up in the air during the Terminal Dogma fight?
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:40 pm

Maybe it’s because it’s been a while since I last put 3.33 in my disc tray, but I felt everything looked a bit more crisp in this version.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

John
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby John » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:15 pm

Is there a post on a supposed booklet that was included with the disc? It includes some storyboards of unused scenes.

ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by John on Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We'll destroy everything , and we'll keep destroying it until it looks like all the bad things -all the sad things- never even happened at all.

Akko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Akko » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:25 pm

View Original PostJohn wrote:

Shinji: "Kaworu, you...!"
Kaworu: "I'm sorry Shinji..."
Kaworu: "I was born to meet you, but not to be with you"
Evangelion is like a black hole. Just as you thought you got away, it sucks you right back in.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:11 pm

View Original PostAkko wrote:
View Original PostJohn#930150 wrote:

Shinji: "Kaworu, you...!"
Kaworu: "I'm sorry Shinji..."
Kaworu: "I was born to meet you, but not to be with you"

Are the dialogues really part of these storyboards? I mean, the storyboards shouldn't have dialogue.

Also, the Japanese words in the storyboards don't seem to include the names of Kaworu or Shinji.

John
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby John » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:18 pm

Maybe they are part of an "extra features" section in the Blu-Ray and they had recorded audio.

3.0+1.0 spoiler:
But the artstyle fits Gendo's instrumentality sequence so I don't think they're fake.

Edit: Small sample of the storyboards included:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyFiKE00i5w
We'll destroy everything , and we'll keep destroying it until it looks like all the bad things -all the sad things- never even happened at all.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:59 am

Those are Imageboards, not Storyboards. The difference is very important.

Imageboards (イメージボード) = early visual brainstorming
Storyboards (コンテ) = actually breaking things down cut by cut, deciding on framing, shot length, dialogue/sfx and other things needed to know to hand it off to different departments
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

John
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby John » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:01 am

Thanks for the correction! No idea they were different.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:42 pm

I watched only 5 minutes out of the 20 minutes of the imageboards video yet, but it's fascinating. Gendo looks old, decrepit and half biomechanical. Also there seem to be like hundreds of evas roaming around in the nerv HQ and there's something happening outside with eva infinities (?) crashing brutally on some forcefield around the HQ, it's hard to decipher visually. Also there are hundreds of Rei roaming around as well.

It's a fascinating what if.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:36 pm

I'm overall quite interested in those concepts. Maeda is one of my favourite anime directors. When I was eight, I watched his The Second Renaissance shorts from The Animatrix, and it traumatized me against machinese for months. I remember I'd turn off my TV from the socket at night because I felt afraid of its menacing red light, and how it'd cut me in half to do experiments just like the machines in that short. Good times.

Alas, they are probably made fairly early on, as I suspect the tonal shift in Q proper took some time to be decided on. As fascinating as some of these ideas are, they also detract from the final film's arthouse feel and overall sense of isolation and confusion thrust into the audience by being in Shinji's poorly informed shoes. Perhaps these concepts not getting used was for the best, and contrbuted to 3.0 being deceptively minimalist.

Another thing I find fascinating is the absence of Kaji's absence, apparently maybe even as part of Wille, and the inclusion of what would eventually become Avant2 and the beginning of Part A of Shin. From what I could gather - and we should definitely get to dissect these when possible - it is Asuka that rescues Shinji from Unit 13, not Mari. Interestingly enough, it also seems Asuka leaves for the Wunder before the movie ends, and Kensuke is instead left to take care of Rei Q and Shinji (!). Both of these have interesting implications for any earlier plans for their relationships with Shinji and Asuka in Shin. Perhaps the latter's paternal role would have been further emphasized and extended to named characters - worth nothing that in Shin, he's even briefly shown to be lecturing a class to the children of the village in its school. I also recall reading about Ogata having a final planned line for Shinji but preferring not to voice it, due to feeling too traumatized after Kaworu's death, and it was eventually cut. Similarly, Saakamoto's few lines directed at Shinji in Q were not initially present, and later included at the last minute because they thought she should have at least some interaction with the MC. I can't find these again, so I could be totally wrong, but if somebody does find them, please link them...

Recall also Peaceful Times, from 2015, included some apparently similar imageboards for Shin, covering Avant2. Those have barely changed, if at all: thread/15395/Peaceful-Times-a-new-short-film/

So while I'm still glad for what would likely remain my favourite NTE movie, these concepts (DRIVING KARL!!!!) could probably be reused in a future work, like the not so mystical timeskip film, much like the concepts from the #24 drafts were reused later even in GoS 2.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:44 pm

I really want to see those imageboards. It seems to have pretty interesting concepts.

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:So while I'm still glad for what would likely remain my favourite NTE movie, these concepts (DRIVING KARL!!!!) could probably be reused in a future work, like the not so mystical timeskip film, much like the concepts from the #24 drafts were reused later even in GoS 2.

What is DRIVING KARL and GoS 2?

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:53 am

In the imageboards, Kaworu drives Shinji and Rei to a picnic.

In a car. An automobile. An internal combustion vehicle. I mean, I guess it could be electric.

Surely you realize the colossal impacts this would have on the fabric of our reality, and why the world was not ready to see this in cinemas.

Alas, while I'd like to share the 30 or so images I've already gotten from them, I'm not quit sure they'd break the piracy rules.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”