The Last Train Station Scene

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ryuuzer0
Embryo

Re: The Last Train Station Scene

•      
  •      

Postby ryuuzer0 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:25 am

Hi, I'm pretty new here but after reading through the thread I thought I'd throw in my 2c. I was actually writing a blog post on this but I thought posting a few points here would maybe generate better discussion and help me organise my own thoughts.

1) Kaji and Kaworu's exchange
This is in my opinion the hardest of the instrumentality sequences to explain, but I'll try and give my interpretation.

Anno recently said in an interview (https://twitter.com/scenik8/status/1414165133614407684) that Kaji and Kaworu took over NERV Japan after the Near Third Impact. Visually, the exchange shown in 3.0+1.0 appears to be mostly a flashback to this time period. Kaji and Kaworu appear in Gendo's old office, with Kaworu even wearing Gendo's uniform. Note that for almost the entire sequence the oceans are red (Post-Near-3rd Impact), but only in the last scene does it turn blue and the landscape appears to be revitalised.

Kaji and Kaworu talk about events happening in the present day, but this is likely a mixture of memory and internal exchange within Kaworu's mind. This is similar to how Kensuke also appears during Asuka's instrumentality sequence immediately prior, despite the fact he cannot possibly be there at that time (we literally saw him moments earlier in Village 3). I was also reminded of how in Episode 25 and 26 of NGE, Shinji converses with the versions of the characters inside himself and vice versa. It's possible that at one point during the time Kaji was working directly with Kaworu he invited him to join him and Misato working on the farm he planned to build when everything was over (hence the memories mixed in).

The revitalisation of the world in the final shot is most likely an illustration of Kaworu's intentions post-Additional Impact. Shinji has not yet used the Spear of Gaius to change the world, so it's unlikely this is real. Rather, this is a vision of Kaworu's wish for happiness, which Shinji is hoping to grant. Note that its only when Kaworu goes to reply "Yeah. That sounds nice," that the environment finally changes. I think this entire sequence and conversation is portraying Kaworu relinquishing the role that fate had decided for him and subjected him to countless times, and finally considering himself and his own happiness.

Another key thing to remember is that, in stark contrast with the End of Evangelion, Shinji's main goal in this iteration of instrumentality is to ensure that the ones he cares about find happiness for themselves.

Kaworu: So, Shinji Ikari, what do you wish for?
Shinji: I'm fine. I think I can handle pain and heartbreak. I'm more worried about saving Asuka and the others.

It's debatable whether Kaji and Misato are revived due to Shinji's actions, but that line about joining "me and Katsuragi" definitely does not seem like a throwaway. Once the Spear of Gaius is used, the Evangelion Infinities separate, turn back into people and animals, and fall back to Earth as the world is re-created. This may imply that Kaji and Misato aren't reincarnated as they weren't coreized, but Kaji's line makes me think otherwise. Working with Kaji and Misato appeared to be an integral part of Kaworu's wish, so it follows that Shinji would attempt to grant it. I'm not sure how this can really be explained in-universe though. The Eva Imaginary was essentially another Lilith, so maybe he can just re-create them both?

I also don't think this indicates Kaworu is heading to some kind of afterlife either. Rei and Kaworu leave the studio through the exact same door, which may imply that they're heading to the same place. This matches up with how Kaworu is seen conversing with Rei on the platform. If we assume Kaworu follows through on his wish, this positioning makes sense - regardless of whether Kaji and Misato have reincarnated, their only son also lives in Village 3. Crucially, Asuka, Kaworu and Rei are all on the same platform, presumably waiting for the same train. I took this, together with all the other stuff shown (like Rei's Tsubame doll, Kensuke, and Asuka's entry plug), to mean they will all end up in the Village 3 area.

2) The train station
I don't believe the train station is in the Anti-Universe as some people have theorised. As others have pointed out, Asuka's empty entry plug next to Kensuke's house and the seed satellites are both shown after the Spear of Gaius is used. If we also remember Shinji's conversation with Rei:

Shinji: Another one of you found a place she could call home. I'm sure Asuka will be able to find her own new place as well. A happiness without an Eva.
Rei: That's what I wished for you, Shinji.
S: Yes. So there's a life away from here that you can live too.
R: Really?
S: Yes. I'm going to choose a life without Evas as well. I won't rewind time or revert the world. I'm just going to rewrite the world into one that doesn't have Evas. A new world where people can live.

My interpretation was that Shinji is reassuring Rei that he is going to create a world for both of them as well as Asuka. By extension, we can infer that all of them will be living in the same world, although they may never meet again. Rei also leaves via the same door as Kaworu, which implies that they are going to the same place.

I'll leave out the meta and thematic reasons for why I think the inside of the station is in the same world as the outside/"real world", but another thing to note is when Shinji and Mari are climbing the stairs there is some compositing wizardry being used to almost seem like its transitioning between 2d animation and real-life photography. The fact that the world outside is visible and appears continuous with the inside of the station leads me to believe that this is all the same "world". The station has also clearly been drawn as realistically as possible (except for the route to exit the station as was already noted for story reasons), all of the people outside are also animated... you get the idea.

Basically, I don't think we're meant to read into the transition to live action much other than the fact that the characters have integrated with the "real" world or one very similar to our own.

3) Visions
People have also already pointed out the comparison with the birds shot as Rei and Kaworu disappear behind the train and the Rei vision Shinji has in 1.0. After watching it 10+ times I am convinced that none of the characters are behind the train after the birds take flight, and the train also appears to be empty. I think this is 100% intended to be interpreted as a vision of sorts - one where Shinji is able to reassure himself that the others have found their own way and his efforts were successful before running out into the new world with no regrets.

4) Why did Asuka's entry plug and Village 3 survive Shinji's re-writing?
I think the clue is in what happens during the start of the Additional Impact. As the Eva Infinities sweep the Earth, they are stopped by the L-Containment Field surrounding Village 3. By extension, we can conclude that this area was also spared any changes that occurred from Shinji's Additional Impact. As for the seed satellites, well they're in space so presumably out of the AoE (this is probably why Misato ejected them before the final mission).

Based on his exchange with Rei, Shinji didn't "rewind time" or "revert" the world, but rather he "rewrote" the world. The full Japanese line is actually slightly different in wording to the English translation.

僕もエヴァに乗らない生き方を選ぶよ
時間も世界も戻さない。 ただ―
“エヴァがなくてもいい世界”に書き換えるだけだ

My interpretation is that Shinji saying that he is going to create a world that doesn't need Evas rather than a world "that doesn't have Evas" in the strict sense. I'm taking this to mean he didn't make retroactive changes to the past, but rather re-created the world from that point onwards into one where everyone can live without relying on Evas. This explains why Shinji and Mari appear to still know each other and presumably have memories of all the events, as well as providing more evidence as to why Village 3 and Asuka's entry plug still exist.

As an aside - some parts of the Amazon translation really annoy me because they leave out key details, but that's a rant for another time.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:48 am

My main issue with interpreting the train station as part of the “outside world” is that so much of it just doesn’t make sense. It’s already been discussed sufficiently in earlier posts how the events at the station are clearly implied to be happening immediately after the previous scene, and that no skipped time occurs for, at least, Shinji himself. In order for it to be in the “outside world”, it would pretty much mean that Shinji was stuck inside the anti-universe for 14 years, before suddenly being deposited back into the real world at the train station and being discovered by Mari.

ryuuzer0
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ryuuzer0 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:58 am

I don't think we need to assume 14 years passed to explain why the characters have aged. Asuka herself ages before she is even ejected from the Anti-Universe. When she wakes up in her entry plug she visibly appears the same as she does on the beach earlier, just with no plugsuit.

I agree 100% that the events at the station are happening immediately after the previous scene. In my opinion, the "aging" is just a consequence of the new world free of Evas - the pilots revert to the age they would be if the Curse of Eva didn't exist. As soon as Mari takes Shinji back to the real world, Shinji wakes up in the train station, having aged to what he would be without the curse.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:11 am

It doesn’t make sense for that scene to be taking place immediately after though because the train station clearly seems to be in a fully restored and operational world, whereas all Shinji seems to have done is remove the core corruption from the planet and revert all the Infinities back to humans/animals - they would still need to do a significant amount of rebuilding before society is back to the way it was pre-3I.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:32 am

One theory is that a long time has passed until Mari was able to find Shinji, but this wasn't noticeable in the anti-universe. That would be the reason why the society is rebuild when he returns.

That said, I admit that theory still has some plotholes.

T. K. Simon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby T. K. Simon » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:35 am

Besides the "just in time" of mari

ryuuzer0
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ryuuzer0 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:53 pm

View Original PostArcher wrote:It doesn’t make sense for that scene to be taking place immediately after though because the train station clearly seems to be in a fully restored and operational world, whereas all Shinji seems to have done is remove the core corruption from the planet and revert all the Infinities back to humans/animals - they would still need to do a significant amount of rebuilding before society is back to the way it was pre-3I.

I think we're unnecessarily limiting what Shinji is able to do here. By the same token, trees and rivers would also take time to restore themselves. The people even came down wearing modern clothes. The key thing is he is not "reverting" the world he is "rewriting" it - shaping it into what he wants and literally creating a "miracle". Literally anything seems possible at that point, although that may not be the most satisfying explanation for some people.

Let's run through the alternative options as I see them.

1) The outside of the train station is in the Anti-Universe (AU), while the outside is the "new world"
The outside is also a fully functioning world so this runs into the same issue. Furthermore, while I said previously that Asuka/Rei/Kaworu on the platform was a vision (I'm not super familiar with quantum mechanics but I reckon this can likely be explained via entanglement or some other phenomenon), I think its also intended to reflect reality and where they end up. If they were still finding their own way out of the anti-universe as some have speculated, then they wouldn't have shown Asuka's empty entry plug near Village 3 prior.

This theory may only make sense if we assume Asuka/Rei/Kaworu are end up in a different world to Shinji, but Shinji's dialogue with Rei I think implies otherwise. This is definitely up for interpretation though, especially if you interpret Asuka/Rei/Kaworu's appearance as some kind of vision.

Edit: Some people appear to have missed this but Shinji and Mari are shown in the live-action shot as well running out of the station, so they definitely exit the station into what we see outside.

2) Both the outside AND the inside of the train station are in the AU
I think this one is the least likely because of the what we can gather from what Anno has said and his likely intentions for the ending.

Along with all the symbolism of Shinji no longer needing escapism, this ending also represents the end of Anno's own journey making Evangelion. This is why equipment and the set used to do pre-vis for the film appears in the instrumentality sequence, and Rei and Kaworu literally leave the studio. Anno has also provided a few clues on what he wanted to achieve with this ending, such as the afterword he wrote to his wife's manga https://twitter.com/somebadideas/status/1426454764309602306. I believe this is why scenes from the original series are shown when Shinji talks about rewriting the world and creating a "neon genesis" - both him and Anno are venturing to achieve what they couldn't in the original NGE.

I also can't remember where I read this now, but he said something at one point about how he wanted Rebuild to be about how a someone can through hell but then stand up again. Kaworu's dialogue also alludes to this where he talks about Shinji being able to now stand in "reality" rather than just in the "imaginary".

Basically Anno is telling us to forget about Eva and go outside, which makes it pretty ironic that we're all sitting here scrutinizing every detail.

If we want to get even more meta (and apologies because this may seem an extremely flimsy argument but this is the feeling I got watching it), it's no secret that Eva has always broadly reflected Anno's journey battling his own demons. If we take the last film to mean the end of that journey, then it would essentially represent him re-integrating into society. Anno has also been quoted as saying that the characters (barring Mari) represent parts of himself. It therefore makes sense to me that he would have intended for all of the characters at the end to integrate and not just Shinji. You could make an argument that the entire world of Evangelion has integrated with the real world and not just the characters.

A psychologist friend of mine also pointed out that the way the Rebuild movies are constructed broadly reflects Schema Therapy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schema_therapy. This is venturing into rampant speculation, but there is a possibility that Anno himself received this therapy at some point and therefore deliberately constructed the movies in this way. I'm no expert though so I recommend you do your own reading on this if you're interested.
Last edited by ryuuzer0 on Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

pir2confusion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pir2confusion » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:10 pm

View Original PostT. K. Simon wrote:
One theory is that a long time has passed until Mari was able to find Shinji, but this wasn't noticeable in the anti-universe. That would be the reason why the society is rebuild when he returns.

That said, I admit that theory still has some plotholes.

Besides the "just in time" of mari

The "just in time" is Mari's whole character. The whole series she has shown up just in time and knows everything related to the world of eva. So of course she would show up at just the right time and know exactly how to get to, around and back from the anti universe a thing that maybe they would know it exists but Gendo and Mari are fully aware of and able to navigate.

Also society rebuilds and decides lets start running really old trains on this one route and to fully rebuild how this town looked in the 1990s-2010. I'm still leaning into this is still an imaginary place or Anno's reality and his link to the imagination but if it is their reality this is spears or instrumentality rebuilding everything not the 14 year time skip society rebuilding back.

Bryshe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Bryshe » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:24 am

google translate)))

Perhaps a detail. This is the scene after Ryoji and Kaworu. Does this blue exit mean angels? And under the yellow arrow, this is the top view of this little hangar, exactly where Rei is now and she is in blue. Ie This is something like cleansing the soul from the angelic form, so that Shinji can later reboot the world with the former angels, so that they become humans (confirmation of the theory) that at the station they have already been reborn into humans.

And what to do with these frames? That is, a completely new train that arrives at the station is completely old. Symbolism that Shinji actually says goodbye to Kaworu, Rei and the Original Asuka Shikin?

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:19 pm

This seem the appropriate thread to put this tour of and guide to visiting Ube Railway Station I just found on Youtube:

https://youtu.be/i_yKb_nUq08
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

AsuShinRei
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AsuShinRei » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:28 am

View Original Postryuuzer0 wrote:
SPOILER: Show
Hi, I'm pretty new here but after reading through the thread I thought I'd throw in my 2c. I was actually writing a blog post on this but I thought posting a few points here would maybe generate better discussion and help me organise my own thoughts

I also don't think this indicates Kaworu is heading to some kind of afterlife either. Rei and Kaworu leave the studio through the exact same door, which may imply that they're heading to the same place. This matches up with how Kaworu is seen conversing with Rei on the platform. If we assume Kaworu follows through on his wish, this positioning makes sense - regardless of whether Kaji and Misato have reincarnated, their only son also lives in Village 3. Crucially, Asuka, Kaworu and Rei are all on the same platform, presumably waiting for the same train. I took this, together with all the other stuff shown (like Rei's Tsubame doll, Kensuke, and Asuka's entry plug), to mean they will all end up in the Village 3 area.

4) Why did Asuka's entry plug and Village 3 survive Shinji's re-writing?
I think the clue is in what happens during the start of the Additional Impact. As the Eva Infinities sweep the Earth, they are stopped by the L-Containment Field surrounding Village 3. By extension, we can conclude that this area was also spared any changes that occurred from Shinji's Additional Impact. As for the seed satellites, well they're in space so presumably out of the AoE (this is probably why Misato ejected them before the final mission).

Based on his exchange with Rei, Shinji didn't "rewind time" or "revert" the world, but rather he "rewrote" the world. The full Japanese line is actually slightly different in wording to the English translation.

僕もエヴァに乗らない生き方を選ぶよ
時間も世界も戻さない。 ただ―
“エヴァがなくてもいい世界”に書き換えるだけだ

My interpretation is that Shinji saying that he is going to create a world that doesn't need Evas rather than a world "that doesn't have Evas" in the strict sense. I'm taking this to mean he didn't make retroactive changes to the past, but rather re-created the world from that point onwards into one where everyone can live without relying on Evas. This explains why Shinji and Mari appear to still know each other and presumably have memories of all the events, as well as providing more evidence as to why Village 3 and Asuka's entry plug still exist.

As an aside - some parts of the Amazon translation really annoy me because they leave out key details, but that's a rant for another time.

@ryuuzer0 I just had 2 scenarios -

I will be grateful if you can explain what is likely since I draw these inferences based on your post.

Scenario 1--------

There exists only one real world - EVA Less.

Shinji re wrote the the same real world and only single world exists. A world without EVA. And there are no different versions of the character living in different versions of the real world. They are living in the same real world with no whatsoever knowledge about Eva. And they never might have met before because Eva didn't existed. Plain and simple. But this destroys Shinji's point for them finding a place called home and those scenes of sending them back to those places e.g Asuka's pod landing at Kensuke's place since those home might not exist now since he re wrote the world without Eva and those events never occurred. We can infer that all(including Shinji and mari after getting out of anti verse) of them will be living in the same world.

Scenario 2 ------------------------

There exists only one real world -EVA Less.

Shinji re wrote the the same real world and only single world exists. A world without EVA. And there are no different versions of the character living in different versions of the real world. All those characters(Rei, Asuka, Kensuke, etc) just like Shinji and Mari does know about existence of EVA even after erasing those events. And they retain their places which they can call home. Plain and simple. And as per you scenario the village 3 survived the rewriting of Shinji and they will remember those events. They will be again living in the same world.

Which scenario do you think is reasonable ?

They might or might not meet again each other.

Do not quote an entire post. Trim it down to the relevant bit you’re addressing. - JoelcrNeto
Baka Shinji

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:45 am

View Original PostAsuShinRei wrote:Which scenario do you think is reasonable ?

If we assume Asuka, Rei, Kaworu and Shinji live in the same world at the end, the characters should remember the past. Shinji has mentioned he won't rewind back the time.

After all, we see that Asuka returns to Kensuke's house.

AsuShinRei
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AsuShinRei » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:50 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
View Original PostAsuShinRei#930472 wrote:Which scenario do you think is reasonable ?

If we assume Asuka, Rei, Kaworu and Shinji live in the same world at the end, the characters should remember the past. Shinji has mentioned he won't rewind back the time.

After all, we see that Asuka returns to Kensuke's house.

Yep that was also what I thought since those last scene doesn't makes sense.
Plus If Shinji except for Mari does erases everyone's memory as scenario 2 then those last scene does not makes any sense where he sent everyone to probably village 3 and Asuka to Kensuke's side. And Rei in village. As erasing their memory for example now since Asuka if memory erased there will be no place to call her home..That's why Kenuske image in the doll figure is shown when Shinji talks to Rei that Asuka will also find a place she can call home...so going by what you said also makes sense.

I do think there only exsisted 2 worlds..
1. Anti universe
2. The real world
So Shinji won't be selfishly creating a separate Eva less world for himself and Mari as he will doing things like Gendou..and will negate his character development which he overcame..accepting his past and moving on ahead..plus Mari is the biggest thing that ties to Eva world since she is the OG eva team..so anyway..

Thank you for clarifying also..really appreciated
Baka Shinji

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:38 pm

View Original PostAsuShinRei wrote:Yep that was also what I thought since those last scene doesn't makes sense.
Plus If Shinji except for Mari does erases everyone's memory as scenario 2 then those last scene does not makes any sense where he sent everyone to probably village 3 and Asuka to Kensuke's side. And Rei in village. As erasing their memory for example now since Asuka if memory erased there will be no place to call her home..That's why Kenuske image in the doll figure is shown when Shinji talks to Rei that Asuka will also find a place she can call home...so going by what you said also makes sense.

Well, I say there won't be memory erasure if Asuka, Kaworu, Rei and Shinji live in the same world.

In itself, it's pretty clear Asuka returned to Earth. We seen her Entry Plug being ejected from Eva-13 towards Earth (and it arrives near Kensuke's house). So, it wouldn't make sense to erase her memories.

That world will definitely continue to exist.

However, the situation with Rei, Kaworu and Shinji is (intentionally) more ambiguous and left to interpretation.

Unlike Asuka, we don't see Rei or Kaworu returning to Earth (not to mention that Rei died in 2.0 and Kaworu died in 3.0). That's why there is a theory that they would live on another new world.

The train station where Shinji and Mari appear is pretty confusing too. The live action at the end makes everything more confusing.
Last edited by Konja7 on Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:51 pm

There’s definitely no evidence to suggest that any memory erasure is going on for anyone.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:54 pm

View Original PostArcher wrote:There’s definitely no evidence to suggest that any memory erasure is going on for anyone.

True. Even the theory that Rei, Kaworu and Shinji would live on new World(s) doesn't have evidence for any memory erasure.

profesor_rod
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby profesor_rod » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:21 pm

Reading this topic harkens me back to when people kept speculating about what happens before and after the beach scene in Evangelion. It seems like Western audiences can't deal with a play ending a narrative without a neatly tied closing bow. Can't blame you, that's the structure of the media we are used to consume ~_~

I rather think that the final scene is highly symbolic and the multiple interpretations I have seen people trying to derive from it is the aesthetic clue. There's obviously an intended meaning behind the train station scene (I only 50% subscribe to the Death of the Author, fricking Post-modernism) but we are left grasping at straws because that's part of the intention.

FOR ME, I think that, instead of taking a train to the next destination Shinji (and us, since we have been experiencing the whole thing through him) decides to exit the station and go somewhere else. It's not yet another running away but an exciting rushing forward, because now he's not alone. Why is Mari the one that is with him at the end, that escapes my mind at the moment. (Maybe such as Shinji is Anno's stand-in, so Mari is Moyoco's stand-in?)

As for Rei and Kaworu, I think they are symbolically representing Yui and Gendo... Not literal being reborn, mind you.

Am I the only one that picked up that Kaworu is maybe Gendo's "clone", similar to Rei's case? What's that about Kaworu being reminiscent of his father to Shinji? And what about Kaworu calling him "father"? Am I going to be burned at the stake? :lol:

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:52 pm

View Original Postprofesor_rod wrote:Am I the only one that picked up that Kaworu is maybe Gendo's "clone", similar to Rei's case? What's that about Kaworu being reminiscent of his father to Shinji? And what about Kaworu calling him "father"? Am I going to be burned at the stake? :lol:

Well, Gendo did play the piano.
That would've been the ultimate mindf*ck for Shinji: "hey, the girl you liked is a clone of yo mama. And that bishounen with homoerotic subtext over there? That's a clone of your daddy."
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:37 pm

View Original Postprofesor_rod wrote:Am I the only one that picked up that Kaworu is maybe Gendo's "clone", similar to Rei's case? What's that about Kaworu being reminiscent of his father to Shinji? And what about Kaworu calling him "father"? Am I going to be burned at the stake? :lol:

3.0+1.0 makes a good amount of connections between Kaworu and Gendo (and Shinji). I've always pretty curious about this, since I've read the spoilers.

pir2confusion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pir2confusion » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:15 am

View Original PostArcher wrote:There’s definitely no evidence to suggest that any memory erasure is going on for anyone.

I'm not sure with any of this you can have direct evidence right now just more strangeness that could be something or is all nothing and so kind of interesting to think about.

Seems when characters are shown on opposite platforms someone is looking at the person across the platform. In this last part Rei and Kaworu are looking at each other but no one else is looking at each other. Three pilots who were always concerned with Shinji almost to an obsessive amount don't notice is sitting alone. Shinji meanwhile doesn't look at any of the other pilots. So not just we have all moved on with our lives and you aren't that important anymore this is not noticing the others are there.

Playing around and seeing where this goes but if we assume the train station is the impact of Neon Genesis and not still being in the imaginary space we only have knowledge that Mari and possibly Shinji have memories of the previous world. Mari with removing the dss shows she is aware of everything that happened before. Shinji with knowing it was Mari when his eyes were covered also shows he at least knows her but why wouldn't he at least notice the other three? All the other pilots have no interaction we the audience see to give indication one way or the other.

The reason memory erasure feels like it could be something is Kaworu and later Gendo after not being human anymore seemed to have some kind of memory of past cycles, dimensions, worlds etc. So if a new world was created maybe this is something that others can have or not have as part of that creation process. Maybe is related to whatever the book of life, the fruit of knowledge and fruit of life mean in rebuild.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”