Commentary: Episode 19

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Commentary: Episode 19

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:49 am

EvaGeeks is pleased to announce that Epsiode 19 is now open for your comments, as part of the End of the Eva Commentary Project.

Link:
https://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_19

Post your comments in this thread, folks! Please index your comments by the Cut number, or we won't know where they go.

For reference on how to comment, please take a look at the Episode 07 commentary thread. Feel free to comment, it's open to all regardless of whether you're brand new to the site and to Evangelion, or an old stalwart from long before the time of the Rebuild movie tetralogy.

Anyone willing to help us with the closure of the commentary project, feel free to volunteer here. We would be very grateful for the help!

Further information on the openings of Episodes 9-18 and Episodes 20-26 (TV ending) will be coming soon!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Re: Commentary: Episode 19

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:43 am

004: It always baffled me how the pilot could lock himself up, block the ejection of the Entry Plug and as seen later on, launch their own Eva. There were some serious authority loopholes in Nerv.

016: I think the manga gets an important point across: Shinji is partially to blame for what happened. He knew the pilot was in and didn't want to hurt him, but he also knows how to extract an Eva's Entry Plug (as seen in chapter 6). He once again let his emotions run wild at a critical moment and now he's running away from the consequences.

029: All in all, the Eva's head looks better than last chapter suggested.

043: This scene always confused me. It's obviously some sort of dream, the interesting part was how it was a shared dream. Was it Eva-induced? Rei-induced?

174: I always though the people's cries were and ad-lib of the English dub!

217/218: now, this bit of the scene is downright impossible. For all we've seen N2 mines do, being in an enclosed space and so close to the explosion center, Shinji, Kaji and the watermelons should be dead or at least crushed by the air pressure.

264: Again, the Eva can be manned, activated and launched inside the base withouth anyone noticing!?

319: I always considered the "I can’t take more of this!" line the one that starts the whole mess that follows. Something in the lines of Yui saying "dammit Gendo, I'm taking full custody!"

326: I took me several re-watches to notice the Eva's "horn" actually ges inside Zeruel's eye socket...

337: Well, the jig is up! Up until now Ritsuko has been, with little success, misleading or being vague about the Eva's true nature.

371: the begining of the End!
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:41 am

Comments added. Great to see you back! ^_^
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:19 am

This is really the episode of transition, where things really do start tumbling down

018 -- One of the very few (only?) times that the entry plug responds to a remote command.

035 -- Not only fan-service, but some budget saving measures here in the framing to cut down on the lip-flap animation needed

062 -- Whereas Yamashita ran with the seeming, and put Toji, the ¥600 million man, in _Anima_; also goodbye to the school chums.

067 -- One of the few scenes where just "Ikari" would be ambiguous in identifying the character

083 -- A farewell to Ken-ken

102 -- Better luck next station, Shinji

107 -- Spending the budget like water, when they know from past experience that conventional weaponry doesn't work without at least having an EVA running interference on the AT field at the same time.

125B -- Yui is having none of this nonsense, now she knows what it is

233 -- Shinji making like the Flash once again, given the distances to be covered.

258 -- We just don't ask about what the internal map of the GeoFront really looks like; it would have to be positively Lovecraftian in its geometry

295 -- Oh no! It must be getting to be power-up time already!

320 -- Eva-mega-evolution : WarShogouki!

324 -- Now, and only now, can an Eva overcome the cutting power
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:22 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:This is really the episode of transition, where things really do start tumbling down

I've always wondered where does most people put the "beginning of the end"
I've always put it in chapter 18, with 16-17 as the transition episodes, but other peope puts it in 21.
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:21 pm

Mr. Tines: Your comments have been added.

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:27 pm

When I first watched this scene as a kid, I got confused between who was Shinji and Toji in this scene. They are both look quite similar and the clinical whiteness offsets some of their features. However, they both undergo the 'unfamiliar ceiling' experience and react in different ways, with Shinji running away and Toji left in a state of calm reflection of the past events.

Toji's reaction to the surreal dream of Hell train is almost laughable. It does pose several questions on what reality and dreams are though. It seems that Rei is a bridge between these two realms since she remarked before that she uses the Evas to connect with others, serving as Shinji's inner conscience and psychological mediator. The fact that Toji does not seem to be entirely involved in this conversation, probably reflects his mentality to being an Eva pilot in general. To him, his role is only to help move his sister into a better hospital and he severs all other connections emotionally or psychologically with the Eva pilots/Gendo/Eva souls. This is shown by his practical and almost simplistic reaction when he wakes up, seemingly without any recollection of what happened and any mental trauma.

Toji again seems rather oblivious of Hikari's feelings toward him. Although he is often portrayed as brash and uncouth at times, he seems to project a sense of innocence or maturity after the battle. He does not engage in Shinji's rambling during the Hell train scene or even overreact to his injury or Hikari's visit. He instead focuses on his sister's wellbeing and calmly assures those around him that he is ok.

Such a simple statement shows the endearing quality of the 4th child. The fact he is still able to remember the kind gesture of Hikari's actions, whilst being ignorant of its hidden overtones, shows the sensitive side that Hikari commented on earlier. Unfortunately, this will the last scene for Toji, other than during instrumentality, but his overall presence in the episode is still very significant. I always wondered if it would have been better if he returned as the pilot of the black Eva, to save the day at some crucial point in battle or become the embodiment of a fiery male Asuka to support Shinji as a brother-in-arms. Alas, his piloting was put to rest very suddenly, with this episode serving as the official retirement of Shinji's school chums for the rest of the series.

The camera work here is truly excellent. Each frame highlights the distance between Misato and Shinji, with stark and opposing shots capturing the gap in their relationship.

How did Shinji teleport back to base so fast?
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:52 am

Added your comments, dzzthink!

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:35 pm

062 The reveal of Touji without an arm and a leg. Another example of Anno's penchant for displaying broken characters without limbs due to the influence of his father's accident and amputation.

099 The sign reads "Shin Atugi Station". Hon Atsugi station is a real station in Hakone (where Evangelion takes place) and is depicted in the first episode. This is a nice reference to the new city of Tokyo 3 that was built.

168 If only beast mode existed in 1995

271 I've always love how Gendo doesn't even flinch in this scene.

337 I think this is the first mention of Unit 01 as "she"
Oh, the clock is ticking out

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:50 am

Added. Thanks, Pluto!

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:47 am

This is still open, folks.

Mbryo
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mbryo » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:33 am

312: The durability of cores seem to fluctuate throughout the series. It's usually implied that they are made of sturdier material when compared to the rest of Angel(or Evangelion) bodies, seeing how it took multiple hits from Unit 01 to crack Sachiel's core in Episode 02. But in Episode 08, Gaghiel's core gets destroyed from a direct, close-range shot from the main battery guns of two warships. Powerful for conventional weapons, but probably much less destructive than the might of a berserk Eva unit or Zeruel's toilet paper arms. Perhaps exposed cores are naturally more durable than internal ones, which would make a lot of sense.

332: This is the first time that we see Unit 01's teeth exposed. I'm guessing that this is supposed to be some kind of a reveal, showing the eerie resemblance between an Eva's teeth and human teeth. The red hexagonal things seen in her mouth earlier in the series are merely restraints intended to keep her mouth forcibly shut. The problem is that Unit 01's real teeth seem to come out of nowhere in this episode; they were conspicuously absent when she opened her mouth in the previous episodes. And from this point onwards, the red 'fake teeth' are completely replaced by real teeth, and are only briefly seen in a single scene in EOE where an animator decided to draw them for some reason.

334: The blurry distortion effect of an A.T. Field can be seen as Unit 01 integrates Zeruel's flesh into her own body and shapes it into an arm identical to her old one, leading to the implication that Angels and Evangelions are capable of using their A.T. Fields to define their physical appearance. This is consistent with Episode 10, where the same blur can be seen as Sandalphon morphs from his vaguely fetus-looking form to his completely disparate adult form.

337: Does this mean that the Eva's resident soul is usually 'asleep' when it's not in berserk mode?

342: This scene shows how good Yui has gotten at using her 'Eva powers' since the first berserk incident. While she did some impressive stuff against Sachiel, now she's so powerful that she's capable of destroying Zeruel, a much stronger Angel, in just a single shot. Remember how in Episode 02, she had to rip open Sachiel's A.T. Field with her both hands and then proceed to physically beat him up. Now she's capable of achieving a far more destructive effect with just a casual flick of her hand. Or perhaps this is due to her reaching a record 400% synchro rate with Shinji, since in the Manga, it appears that Shinji is capable of unlocking more of the Eva's innate abilities as his synchro rate spirals upwards during the fight with the MP Evas.

346: While Unit 01 already had her plenty share of bestial moments throughout the series, this one tops it all off. She looks like something out of a kaiju movie rather than a giant robot. And as a side note, this particular cut is animated by Mitsuo Iso(磯 光雄) who also animated the fight between Eva 02 and MP Evas in EOE, hence the more 'human-like' proportions of the Eva unit.

350: I'm pretty certain that this has been brought up before, but the way that Unit 01's 'eye slits' are depicted throughout the series baffles me. In some scenes they appear to be actual slit-shaped holes in the helmet, while in other scenes they merely appear to be painted markings or digital displays. But in this particular cut, we see the slits widening and narrowing, implying that they represent the Eva's real eyes. And in the following cut, we see the Eva's green pupils exposed through the helmet, something that hasn't been depicted before. It's probably just an aesthetic choice, but all this leads one to wonder what exactly is going on in that particular portion of her helmet.

352: Episode 16 through 19 really goes to great lengths to show how hyperviolent an Eva unit can be when it's not in control of the pilot, but this is probably the most aberrant behavior displayed by an Eva so far. Considering that the Evas and Angels are genetically identical, what Unit 01 is doing here could be considered cannibalism, in a sense. This scene also foreshadows that particularly gruesome sequence in EOE, though the gore is much less noticeable here due to Zeruel's mauled body being mostly concealed by trees. The Manga adaptation, however, makes less attempt to conceal it.

357: Maya really is a faint-hearted person, and this becomes more apparent as the series progresses.

358: There are slight inconsistencies with how Eva 01's dentition is drawn during this whole sequence. In some cuts, her teeth are jagged and uneven, while in this particular cut, they are noticeably less so.

367: Eva 01's roar here is absolutely horrific, not quite a bestial roar but not quite human as well. It's Megumi Hayashibara, Yui and Rei's seiyuu herself screaming, only the sound is pitched-down to achieve a guttural effect.
FUS roh Duh.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Commentary: General (Episodes 09-18;20-26)

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:31 pm

The comments here are in the wrong order, aren't they? As in Mr. Tines should come after Pluto.

Episode 19:

010:
This is such a big threat coming from Shinji that it feels like it's from a script draft wherein Toji died. And how long was Shinji stewing in the cockpit and planning this little stunt, all the while Unit-01 was arduously being transported back from Matsushiro?

038:
Placing the two pilots in the same hospital room shows that Nerv clearly isn't worried about any lingering effects of psychological contamination, even though the Angel seemingly puppeted Unit-03 through Toji and presumably made some sort of mind contact in the process. However, if there's supposed to be any in-universe explanation for what we see in cut 043, my money would be on some undefined Angel-induced mind alteration.

043 (replying to Ursus):
The scene almost feels like an instrumentality preview.

062 (after UrsusArctos - seems like the best placement):
Idle thoughts, but I wonder if Toji managed to receive a leg prosthetic before the whole world was tanged. Thanks to Kiel, we know advanced human cybernetics are a thing in Evangelion, and as an Eva pilot I'm sure Toji would be entitled to a state of the art replacement limb. I can just imagine Kensuke being red-in-the-face jealous at Toji's new thought-controlled mecha leg. But then again, considering how recent the injury is, Toji would likely return from the sea of LCL with his limbs intact again.

064:
What's with the overkill handcuffs?

067 (after Mr. Tines):
While Shinji's threat of destroying the HQ was certainly just him venting (he doesn't want to kill, remember), this time we can count on him meaning what he says. Like I've said before, there's a stubborn streak to Shinji, and the last time he ran from home, he stuck with it.

088 (replying to Ursus):
It's classic Evangelion in the sense that the mise-en-scène is expertly crafted, but it doesn't hide the fact that the mouth flaps just aren't there. Makes you wonder how much of a crunched wreck the production was at this point...

167:
Obligatory Monty Python reference goes here.

215:
"Evangelion pilots hate him! Learn how to protect your core with this one weird trick!"
Incidentally, the point-blank bomb shove is a Unit-00 only novelty map attack in at least one SRW game.

Curiously, Zeruel doesn't go after the Evas' cores until getting into actual trouble with Shinji in Unit-01. Does it have a no-kill policy against its Adam-derived cousins?

270:
Since this is a very relevant episode, I'd like to repost a classic listicle here for preservation purposes. It was prompted by this question from the forum member Fuzzy Chickens: "Over the course of the first 24 episodes and the movie, how many times do we get to see an arm, leg, head, etc. separated from its owner?"

[The list itself as an expanded commentary:]

Reichu: Oooo... This should be fun.

#02 - Sachiel's hands ripped off by EVA-01
#10 - EVA-02's lower left leg ripped off by Sandalphon
#13 - Mogitai's right arm blown off
#18 - EVA-00's left arm blown off; EVA-03's head punched into pudding (probably doesn't count; not an actual decapitation); EVA-03's right arm ripped off
#19 - Toji: most of left leg amputated; EVA-02: de-armed and decapitated by Zeruel; EVA-00: right arm mostly vaporized by N2 mine; EVA-01: most of left arm blasted off by Zeruel's focused eye blast; Zeruel: left arm ripped off by EVA-01, other arm tattered by her A.T. Field (if that counts).
#23 - Rei clones dismembered to various degrees
#24 - Kaworu's head popped off
#25' - EVA-07: right arm amputated with EVA-02's PK-02; EVA-08: most of left leg sliced off with ken; EVA-12: separated completely from lower body; EVA-02: completely dismembered.
#26': Rei loses most of left arm; Gendo loses most of right arm; LCL "pop" reaction briefly results in disembodied Maya hand; Gendo gets his nut bitten off; GNR loses head and both arms (status of legs unknown)

Did I miss anything?

290:
Shinji is going full Bayformers Optimus Prime.

298:
Zeruel in turn channels Master Asia's towel tactics.

309 (before Ursus):
"I did it!"

355 (after Ursus):
It's interesting to ponder whether Yui is being opportunistic here, or if she planned to consume an Angel's S2 organ at some point to begin with and simply picked Zeruel because it was a super strong Angel. Knowing what we know of Yui, I lean towards the latter option.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Commentary: General (Episodes 09-18;20-26)

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:08 am

Your comments have been added.

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”