GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:28 am

The international re-release of NEON GENESIS EVANGELION does not contain "FLY ME TO THE MOON" in any of its home video editions.

To me, this makes it sound like the US version will have it, but any non US version won't. Notice how the UK only has 1,500 copies.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:32 am

Pretty cool they're including the original dub in the UE, but there's no way in hell I'm paying $274.99 for that, especially with how it's packaged. I'll wait for an edition that comes in regular blu-ray cases for $100 or less, original dub or no. Kinda ticks me off that we have to wait another 10 days to see the other editions. Glad we finally have some concrete info, though.
[Redacted]

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:34 am

This set looks amazing and it sucks I won't be able to get it, especially as someone who prefers the ADV dub. The Netflix dub is good, but it's not how I started with Eva. I'll check out the standard edition but if that's not got ADV, I'm out personally.
wait waht

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:40 am

View Original PostFryMeTuhDehMuhn wrote:This set looks amazing and it sucks I won't be able to get it, especially as someone who prefers the ADV dub. The Netflix dub is good, but it's not how I started with Eva. I'll check out the standard edition but if that's not got ADV, I'm out personally.

Don't get down yet. Until GKids confirms the Standard Editions won't have the ADV dub anything said online is just rumors or hearsay. We'll know on August 30th.

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:44 am

Unfortunately I'm UK and the GKids UE isn't shipping to UK so I don't think the Standard will either :( Luckily though, this might mean Anime Limited are doing a Standard too! What I didn't realize was it specifies on the Anime Limited page the the lanyard and paperweight are UE exclusive, while no such thing is said for the ADV dub. Maybe there's hope for me after all! :D
wait waht

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:53 am

I'm not sure what to do.. in Canadian dollars this set will cost me like $400 - and the only thing here that's worth it is the ADV and Manga dubs on a blu ray 1080p video. Fortunately I own the platinum set and EoE so I have those dubs already (with Fly Me To The Moon as a bonus!)

I think I might just wait for a regular edition that'll cost me 4 times less and will fit nicely on my shelf in a regular case. I'll be very stoked if the original dub is on this standard edition, and very disappointed if it isn't. Netflix dub isn't for me, so I have to really think if I even want to spend $100 for something I'll only watch in subs. I can easily watch subbed NGE at any time on my computer, after all. I dont know... :sniffle:

heavyR
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby heavyR » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:18 pm

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:
The international re-release of NEON GENESIS EVANGELION does not contain "FLY ME TO THE MOON" in any of its home video editions.

To me, this makes it sound like the US version will have it, but any non US version won't. Notice how the UK only has 1,500 copies.

I figured every release outside of Japan would be considered an "international" re-release, meaning no Fly me to the Moon for the US either. Part of me hopes you're right, and it will be included for the US edition, but I don't think that's the case.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:33 pm

View Original PostheavyR wrote:
View Original Postbackseatjesus#929598 wrote:To me, this makes it sound like the US version will have it, but any non US version won't. Notice how the UK only has 1,500 copies.

I figured every release outside of Japan would be considered an "international" re-release, meaning no Fly me to the Moon for the US either. Part of me hopes you're right, and it will be included for the US edition, but I don't think that's the case.

They could have worded this better considering that's kind of how I'm interpreting it.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:35 pm

Twitter thread explaining Fly Me To The Moon situation:

Basically, because someone at the tax-evasion loving Gainax didn't do their due diligence to get global rights to Fly Me To The Moon back in the 90s now each usage of the song would cost Khara at the cheapest $300,000+ or more. I don't know the financing of anime studios but I imagine, even with the success of the Rebuild films, spending well over $10 million on song rights would really damage their business and what choices they could make creatively.

heavyR
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby heavyR » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:44 pm

I wonder if they'll color correct the episodes that had issues on the Japanese Blu-Rays.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:51 pm

Knowing this, yep, I'm fine with no FMTTM lol. That's insane.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:53 pm

I can accept FMTTM being gone because there are at least other ways to get the original tracks, but couldn't they have done something a little more creative when replacing it?

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:03 pm

Pre-ordered but it won't be replacing my JP set with JP subs and FMttM. I feel like part of the minority that actually likes the packaging; both of the JP sets are pretty boring, I love the Laserdisc art, and the size really emphasizes that this is a set meant to be displayed. I do wish the outer box art were swappable though.
i want rebuild

Bhorium
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bhorium » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:10 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Basically, because someone at the tax-evasion loving Gainax didn't do their due diligence to get global rights to Fly Me To The Moon back in the 90s now each usage of the song would cost Khara at the cheapest $300,000+ or more. I don't know the financing of anime studios but I imagine, even with the success of the Rebuild films, spending well over $10 million on song rights would really damage their business and what choices they could make creatively.

If nothing else this is just further evidence that the international copyright system as it stands is a insanely broken system and scourge upon culture and expression and should be reformed or abolished ASAP. Seriously, that's a downright ridiculous amount of money for a song written in 1954, and we all perfectly well know that the vast majority of that asking price won't be going to Bart Howard's relatives.
Anybody remotely interesting is mad, in some way or another.

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:14 pm

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:That would upset me. I much prefer Casey Mongillo's Shinji.

But whatever, it'll still have the Japanese version.

You ever realize how selfish you sound when you say this when you know you're in the minority? I'm glad the Netflix dub is being included for its fans but these things should accommodate the majority first.

There's a reason they're including the OG dub on this set bro.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:29 pm

View Original PostJupiterCallisto wrote:You ever realize how selfish you sound when you say this when you know you're in the minority? I'm glad the Netflix dub is being included for its fans but these things should accommodate the majority first.

There's a reason they're including the OG dub on this set bro.

Do you realize how selfish YOU sound right now? You constantly jump on people for liking the Netflix dub more even when penguintruth was just stating his preference. By your logic, you can only express your own personal preferences when you’re in the majority?

Perhaps I’ve crapped on the ADV dub too much myself, but I’m trying to tone it down now. Both dubs are getting released, this is reason for celebration.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:33 pm

eldomtom2
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby eldomtom2 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:51 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Twitter thread explaining Fly Me To The Moon situation:

I am fairly sure he knows nothing about the FMTTM situation and is just speculating. Does he have any actual proof that the FMTMM rights changed hands since 1995?

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:54 pm

How do you call it the ultimate edition, but not include the OA episodes of 21-24. They should rename the box set to the "We Tried" edition.

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:12 pm

FMTTM not being included I get, if the cost is that egregious, but not including the OA episodes is just bizarre. I feel like their inclusion has been pretty standard...correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Netflix even have those up?
Last edited by xtr00kvltcorex on Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”