Is no one bothered by the sexualization of the characters in EVA?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

Re: Is no one bothered by the sexualization of the characters in EVA?

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:21 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:In my opinion, a show targeted to teenagers dealing with the sexuality among teenagers can be a good thing, but what do you guys think?

I do agree, but I feel like Eva (Not NGE specifically) took it way too far at times to the point where it was just blatant fanservice and the sexualization was meaningless. Take 2.22 for instance (And I know this is an NGE discussion but I still think it works for the discussion) - How does that one shot of Asuka rolling over in bed impact anything? It has nothing to do with sexuality among teenagers because it's not like Shinji is there to see it. There is literally no justification for stuff like that. NGE, thankfully, is much better when it comes to that. If it has a reason to be there, I'm cool with it. But if there isn't any reason, I don't want it there and I really hate it.
wait waht

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:12 pm

The only sexualization in that shot is the way some people look at it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby baldur » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:39 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:The only sexualization in that shot is the way some people look at it.

Let's not kid ourselves here lol

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:08 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:The only sexualization in that shot is the way some people look at it.

The Asuka bed shot? If yes I really don't know how it can be seen as anything else. It adds absolutely NOTHING to the story and has no reason whatsoever to be there. How do you see it as anything other than sexual?
wait waht

Concerns
Embryo

Postby Concerns » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:24 am

View Original PostFryMeTuhDehMuhn wrote:I do agree, but I feel like Eva (Not NGE specifically) took it way too far at times to the point where it was just blatant fanservice and the sexualization was meaningless.

Or when Asuka is only wearing panties and an unzipped hoodie for most of the first half of NTE 3.0 + 1.0.
I'm just some random guy who loves Evangelion.

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:26 am

Ugh, that scene *shudders*. Twas so uncomfortable and when she was trying to sleep, why'd it have to go on so long??? I was just praying nobody would walk in on me watching it. I cringed so hard
wait waht

100mega
Embryo

Postby 100mega » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:01 pm

It grosses me out in NTE. That last movie didn't do anything to make it right either.

Monarch
Embryo

Postby Monarch » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:29 pm

Honestly, I’m quite bothered by it. The sexualisation of characters is a major fault in the series. Some scenes are very uncomfortable to watch due to it.
You’re Loved

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:13 am

Locking this thread for now. If anyone wants to add to the discussion, let me know and I can unlock it.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”