Amazon Prime Video release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
GentlemanX
Adam

Re: Amazon Prime Video release

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:08 pm

Not linking to it due to spoiler policy, but we've gotten our first bits of the English dub (as well as most of the foreign language dubs) for 3.0+1.01 via an Amazon trailer.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:52 pm

Amazon's multi-language Evangelion experience
Warning: the last bit contains potential spoilers!

Man, this video made me shiver. No jokes.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:03 pm

Khara twitter confirmed it's going to be up in midnight for Japan, so in less than 12 hours from now.
Also sprach Zarathustra

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:17 pm

xenosaga wrote:Khara twitter confirmed it's going to be up in midnight for Japan, so in less than 12 hours from now.

Man, this really is it, huh? Feels surreal. Can't wait to experience this film. I think I'll be watching it over the weekend with some friends, but it'll be a big relief to just have it available tomorrow, y'know? Just to know that it's here, tangibly.

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:20 pm

To think, I switched with someone to work Thursday instead of Friday so I could watch it Friday. Man, tomorrow at work is going to be AGONIZING if it drops around lunchtime!

But regardless, the fact that it'll be there, waiting for me, is enough. This long, long wait that started 9 years ago will finally end and a saga that started 25 years ago for me will finally be concluded for good.

It's funny how you wait for long for something and then, when it's here, you feel like you're not ready. Oh man. I'm going to be a wreck tomorrow.
Last edited by mastafishere on Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:21 pm

Super exciting, hope I have the time to watch it tomorrow.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:22 pm

View Original PostGentlemanX wrote:Not linking to it due to spoiler policy, but we've gotten our first bits of the English dub (as well as most of the foreign language dubs) for 3.0+1.01 via an Amazon trailer.

Is this on their YouTube page or Twitter page? I can’t find it.
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:24 pm

View Original PostEvaCub wrote:
Is this on their YouTube page or Twitter page? I can’t find it.

It's on the Khara JP page. You can find it if you go to a network with anime news.

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:31 pm

I'm somewhat doubting it'll be up in 12 hours everywhere, so I'd assume it'll come out in each timezone as midnight hits. We'll know soon enough anyway!

RandoDood
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby RandoDood » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:27 pm

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Amazon's multi-language Evangelion experience

I have to agree with you man, hearing Spike say "Goodbye, all Evangelions," made something in me feel extremely satisfied

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:57 pm

I must say, Mari and Kaworu's new English voice actress and actor sound quite similar to thier previous ones imo.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:20 am

View Original Postxenosaga wrote:

Khara twitter confirmed it's going to be up in midnight for Japan, so in less than 12 hours from now.

You have got to be kidding...that means it's up in another ten hours!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:23 am

View Original PostRandoDood wrote:
View Original PostBernardoCairo#927810 wrote:Amazon's multi-language Evangelion experience

I have to agree with you man, hearing Spike say "Goodbye, all Evangelions," made something in me feel extremely satisfied

Made me feel nauseous.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:46 am

Fuck that hit hard shit
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:48 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Amazon's multi-language Evangelion experience

Damn, French Shinji is sexy. Listening to that whole track, I'd be most interested to hear the entire film in German after hearing Kaworu speak. Chinese sounds like it kind of nailed Asuka, so I'd be curious to hear other characters as well.

Portuguese and both flavors of Spanish were interesting! Hindi seems like it might have had some ADR challenges when it comes to speaking speeds and syllable counts. English... I can't say I've ever had an attachment to any of the English dubs, and this one isn't any different for me. I don't think I'll end up watching it for any reason other than to see how certain lines were delivered at one or two points during the film.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:31 am

Why else do you think they put French as the first dub language after Japanese? C'est tres romantique, mais oui! Portuguese Shinji practically growls the "Give Ayanami back!" line.

The Chinese dub sounds pretty darn interesting, although I don't understand a word of it!

Hindi's the newcomer here, and the Hindi voices seem fine for Shinji and Misato. The challenges in syllable counts for Hindi aren't going to be any different than for Italian, Spanish or Portuguese, so there's no reason to single out the Hindi dub for an especially bad ADR just yet. I should point out that we got some rather extended shots of characters speaking with their mouths plainly in view (Misato, Asuka, Mari) in sequence with Hindi which we didn't get with the action shots from the other syllable-heavy languages, so the only way to compare the ADRing across languages is to actually watch the movies.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:22 am

That could very well be it, because they did give us the big, complicated lines in Hindi. It's not a language I'm familiar with, so all I can judge on is the brief scenes they showed in the PV. It does raise the question of if they tried to pick what they thought were the best representative scenes of the ADR, or if they were picking the scenes more based on the scenes themselves and maybe we got some of the takes that were really difficult to nail! I don't want to sound like I'm tarring the Hindi dub as especially bad, since I haven't even seen it yet. All I wonder is if Hindi has any problems matching mouth flaps when it comes to relatively longer or complex dialogue as compared to other languages that can be a bit snappier.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:13 am

That has to do with the way the choice of language overlaid the trailer's scenes, which were clearly originally set in Japanese and progress from 1.0 to 3.0 + 1.0. Hindi is brought up as the dub language right at the time when the drama-heavy opening segment of 3.0 plays, so we have several instances of extended dialogue on screen.

Looking closely, the lip movements for Misato saying "you don't need to do anything" match perfectly in the Hindi dub, and even the other scenes match up pretty well. Misato's mouth is pretty well synced. Shinji's mouth syncs when he's in the cell. Asuka's corridor dialogue does match. The ones that don't match are Shinji saying "It's a lie" (Japanese subtitles), because what he's saying is part of the next line "That's her here, isn't she?"

And Mari's line beats me, because I had to look up Mari's response to Asuka's order from the corridor. In both languages, Asuka says "Don't let them run away" and the lip sync works. But what Mari says next in Hindi is something to the effect of "It won't happen this way", rather than an acknowledgement. This makes me think that it's from another scene (damned if I know where, though!) and that there's been a deliberate edit so we can hear more of the VA.

Something similar happens at 2:20 with Mari's line sounding off and syncing poorly in English. I won't type out her line here because it's DEEP in spoiler territory (heck, all the English lines overlap with the spoiler zone of 3.0 + 1.0!), but she's plainly not belting out the line in English the way she is in Japanese, and it shows. The only explanation I have is that they wanted to have a take that better fit the speaking voice of the VA for a character who is so frequently yelling or growling out her lines.

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:30 am

Amazon has edited its description for 3.0+1.01 and removed the August 13 release date from it. Also, the product page no longer mentions an August 13 release date. In addition, 3.0+1.01 has updated poster art indicating that it's an Amazon Exclusive.

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:51 am

Anyone else get "This video is currently unavailable to watch in your location" on the amazon prime page?
Also sprach Zarathustra

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”