Star Trek

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Re: Star Trek

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun May 26, 2019 1:54 pm

I’ve read that the sexism continues right up through DS9.

Then of curse with Voyager they had no idea how to write a female captainZ

(Tip: you write a female captain exactly like a male captain. A woman does not consult her ovaries before she launches photon torpedoes)
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun May 26, 2019 2:07 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I’ve read that the sexism continues right up through DS9.

Then of curse with Voyager they had no idea how to write a female captainZ

(Tip: you write a female captain exactly like a male captain. A woman does not consult her ovaries before she launches photon torpedoes)

I had not heard about DS9 but I do recall watching Voyager and there were some real WTF moments when it came to Janeway and Seven Of Nine characters which even as a teen made me just roll my eyes or made me uncomfortable as hell in how they framed it and how stupidly it was written and your writing tip is spot on. ^_^
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Mon May 27, 2019 12:18 am

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:Not to mention Gates McFadden before TNG was in Labyrinth and the ball room scene dance is all her choreographing, that scene is everything because of her Henson gave her the ability to do what she wanted and she really delivered and now its considered iconic. She also helped with the puppet scenes and movement during the filming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdiTg-Yg-FU

I had no idea about this, that's wonderful. Thank you for linking that!

Re: Picard series, I agree it would be good to see McFadden return as Crusher in some capacity if they could work it out in some way that resonates with what we saw of her possible future in ... All Good Things.

On a similar note, it'd also be good to see Whoopi Goldberg return as Guinan - a great character that they used appropriately in TNG, though was sidelined after Generations. Guinan is perhaps the only other character apart from Crusher that Picard used to consult about personal matters, and if this new series is about Picard coming to terms with a life-changing event, it'd be a waste not to include her. If Paramount could include Goldberg in Nemesis for an uncredited cameo in the Wedding scene, I don't see why they couldn't include her in this story.
Voluntary Illusion.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:44 pm

Comic-con trailer for the Picard Series.
SPOILER: Show
Wow, both Seven of Nine & Data in this? This series has my attention.

I wonder if it's worth it to get CBS All Access?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:55 am

I got all access for Discovery and I can’t say I particularly regret it.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:46 pm

Trailer for Season 3 of Discovery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70dm3WzNuss
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:05 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:Trailer for Season 3 of Discovery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70dm3WzNuss

I keep rewatching this and have no idea how I feel about it, just because this reminds me of the failed series Andromeda. The one with asshole Kevin Sorbo who played Hercules in the Legendary Journeys that was based on Gene Roddenberry's unused notes.

I just hope they can pull this off unlike that series did I also hope they handle the new Transgender and non-binary character better than in The Outcast as that episode has never sat well with me. I also hope both these characters are there to have real roles and lots of lines, not for brownie points. Yes it true they've handled both their gay male couple and one gay lesbian engineer well up to this point but this is a whole different ball game and many series stumble and trip or mess up this hurdle badly, because they don't do their homework and make it about genitals, or they completely misunderstand and still have characters dead naming or using the wrong pronouns (Though some shows are doing better.)
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:33 pm

Finally some news: WandaVision director to helm new Trek film.
Unclear if the Kelvin cast will return.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/s ... #gs.6dx65g

Anyone watch the Picard show? I heard almost everything about it that wasn't directly related to Data/Riker was trash.

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:07 pm

I watched Picard. I thought it was really bad and I didn't like it. They need to stop giving Patrick Stewart input on the character he plays, he's not a writer lol

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:47 pm

Picard was a masterclass in "how to waste incredible potential and create a horribly disappointing show that further messes up what fans love about Star Trek". It doesn't help that it feels like it ripped off its basic premise from Mass Effect.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:47 am

Star Trek does have Strange New Worlds with Pike (He was one of the best captains in my view ever to grace Discovery's captain's chair)

And Star Trek Star Trek Prodigy which has Janeway but in a more cartoon form.

I still have to watch Discovery's last season, so I can't comment on it.

I was told Below Decks was funny if you're in the right mood.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:16 pm

I can't say I've really enjoyed "Trek" since "Enterprise" was cancelled. Had high hopes for the "Axanar" debacle, sort of
one last trip down memory lane for the old timers. Too bad. Maybe the new "Pike" show can draw me in.
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:10 pm

View Original PostEvaChero wrote:"Pike" show can draw me in.

Even if your not into discovery, I would watch his season just to see him on screen as to me, he what Kirk should have been a great leader but with thought and compassion and willing to make crappy calls with the ability to admit he is wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKAWFq8SYBE

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:38 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote: I would watch his season just to see him on screen as to me, he what Kirk should have been a great leader but with thought and compassion and willing to make crappy calls with the ability to admit he is wrong.

Here's an excellent essay that argues that Kirk was that leader all along, and that Kirk's true character from the original series has been deliberately and consistently misremembered in pop culture all these years -

https://erinhorakova.wordpress.com/2017 ... irk-drift/

I'm sold on it. The Kirk portrayed in the original series has absolutely nothing in common with the J.J. Abrams version and I hated Abrams's Spock even more.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:43 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Here's an excellent essay that argues that Kirk was that leader all along, and that Kirk's true character from the original series has been deliberately and consistently misremembered in pop culture all these years -

https://erinhorakova.wordpress.com/2017 ... irk-drift/

I'm sold on it. The Kirk portrayed in the original series has absolutely nothing in common with the J.J. Abrams version and I hated Abrams's Spock even more.

Thank you, I will give that a read ^_^

I'm not a fan of JJ's versions as I view into darkness as a train wreck and his films all suffer from what I call fan lens where someone is viewing what they think the characters were like though their child lens and not as they truly are or were and not seeing the flaws that made them so good as characters.

Saying this though, I am happy JJ films rebooted the franchise, and we are getting more ST stuff, even if it is hit-and-miss in places.

Also, JJ has a lot to answer for in his version of O'hara whose whole character ark revolves around Spock and their romance (Like I know this was a script idea from the original series that she was meant to kiss him, but it was never shot) which in my view does not work as the actors don't have very good chemistry.

I'm also not saying romance is bad, but it becomes a huge issue when it becomes the character's whole agency and nothing else, like they can't function without z partner as the story no longer focus's on their full skill set. As in the original series and later movies, she stands on her own as a character and is way more awesome. I am hoping the new film that's coming that has no JJ influence will fix all the above.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:18 am

I usually keep my ST opinions close to the vest especially when it comes to the new stuff because I think it's great to bring in new fans......

That said ....just me personally I hate the reboot movies....ugh. Very pretty to look at (except for the Enterprise, my beloved, which looks like
a duck with two deep fried turkey legs glued on the back) Destroying Vulcan with a giant space drill (over simplified I know) Khan not being an Eastern Prince ( and I LOVE Cumberbatch as an actor) Exciting yes, good movie fare ? probably. Very Star Trek like? Not really in my brain.

I really really wanted to like "Discovery" and if it removed the Star Trek trappings I probably would. I did watch it but sparingly in the first season. Of course it also irritates me a little that you have to pay to watch ST now.
The clips I've seen of the Pike from that show and bringing in a very nice looking "Enterprise" update as well as #1 etc may just get me out of my lethargy. I suppose I'm just clinging on too hard to the show I grew up with.

To be fair....I didn't start liking TNG until after the 2nd season and especially when the Borg came in. (Eventually over used I know)

I also know I'm in the minority but I loved ST Enterprise....despite the Xindi arc being too long.

I miss the optimism and bright future of the original I guess is what I'm trying to say. If it's there I guess I'm too dumb to see it.

(PS using the Ralph McQuarrie design from the never used ST movie script from the 70's wasn't the best move for Discovery I think, but that's just
aesthetic and has no basis in actual ship design.)

(PPS @ Ursus, KIrk is the Man! But the best Kirk is the one from the first half of the first season which I thought was handled in a much more crisp semi military manner, by the time you get to the 3rd season and Freddie Freiburger being in charge there is a marked decline in quality IMHO. He did the same for season 2 of Space 1999)

Edited for my moronic lack of spelling and grammar acuity.
Last edited by EvaChero on Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:18 am

Discovery season two is very, very good. Ethan Peck and Anson Mount completely transform the show, to the point where Mount's Christopher Pike is quite possibly the best Starfleet captain we've yet seen onscreen. It's worth tracking down.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:55 pm

My dream show is an episodic series where Anson Mount plays an older, seasoned Superman.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:16 am

Strange New Worlds looks sooooo much better :w00t:
https://youtu.be/nxuyzk5DUFc
https://youtu.be/XL4iCAB6MFo

Much more focused on exploration & optimism which is profoundly needed after Picard tarnished the Federation.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:34 am

I agree SNW is looking proper......but I don wanna pay for it..... :D

Return to “Film and Video”