Amazon Prime Video release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Amazon Prime Video release

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:59 pm

Archer wrote:All logic dictates that we SHOULD get 3.333. There’s literally no good reason not to. But in cases like this you can’t always expect the logical outcome.

Contracts are very specific about these details. Amazon most likely has signed the exclusive streaming rights for the 1.11, 2.22, 3.33 & 3.0+1.01 versions of the films only.
If they want 3.333 or the eventual 3.33+1.11 (or whatever it's called) versions for streaming thats a whole new contract, discussion & fee.
If Amazon wants the 3.333 version it all depends on if they feel it's worth it to them to pay several million more $ for that contract.

I don't see 3.333 coming to streaming anytime soon. Certainly not until the 4K Disc has been out in Japan. But in a year or more when distributors have contracts in place for physical disc releases of the Rebuilds (I imagine these will happen at some point, only thing is with Amazon I imagine that's now minimum a year or two off) I imagine that'll be 3.333.

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:40 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:The secrecy around this stuff is so weird. I don't see how it adds one dollar of profits to keep the dub cast and the versions of the films under wraps til release day.

As far as the dub cast is concerned, I just don't think Khara is interested in advertising any of the dubs and probably has it stipulated that Amazon use the Japanese version in promotional stuff like we've seen thus far.

As far as which version of Q we'll get, I don't think there's any real secret there it's just not something that's been mentioned yet. Obviously as fans we're interested in the most up to date and final version of the film, but in the grand scheme of things there's likely very little difference between 3.33 and 3.333, just as there's minimal difference between 3.0 and 3.33. I would guess the Amazon release will be of 3.333 since it's been around for a while at this point, but I suppose it depends on when the deal was struck and when Khara decided to do 3.333 at all. We'll find out whenever the placeholder for the film goes up.

Speaking of, the placeholder for 3.0+1.01 has been up for a while now but there's still no sign of ones for the other three movies. It's making me curious if the plan is still to have all four up on 8-13. I'm assuming that'll still be the case, but it's weird they're dragging their feet.

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:49 pm

1.11, 2.22 and 3.33 all have English placeholder pages on several Amazon sites in different countries, but no release date info is given.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:07 pm

View Original PostGentlemanX wrote:
View Original PostWarren Peace#927456 wrote:The secrecy around this stuff is so weird. I don't see how it adds one dollar of profits to keep the dub cast and the versions of the films under wraps til release day.

As far as the dub cast is concerned, I just don't think Khara is interested in advertising any of the dubs and probably has it stipulated that Amazon use the Japanese version in promotional stuff like we've seen thus far.

The VAs who may or may not be in the movie seem to be under an NDA, though, which is even weirder. If Amazon wants to announce it themselves, well, clock is ticking. I just want a Tweet! A Tweet from anybody! It's not too much to ask!

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:16 pm

We have a tweet, and it said we'll get the info on the 13th when the movie comes out. I don't know why we keep having to repeat that, and It''s just 7 days away now, so all the questions we have will be answered then.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:55 am

It keeps getting discussed because it's mystifying. But I take your point, it's not like an Evangelion discussion to keep retreading the same old ground, over and over again.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:38 am

If the dub cast was announced before the movie is available to watch, there'd be controversy as people with different views on old/new casts collide, which could lead to some people going into viewing it with a bad taste in their mouths. If it is kept secret until release, that effect will largely be defused by people actually wanting to spend their time watching the movie anyway.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:43 am

Well, at least there's only a week left 'til we find out.

Personally, I really hope it's the Funimation cast who's returning. I really want to see them complete the stories of their characters. Also, it'd be weird if they suddenly switched voice casts for the fourth movie (unless they actually went back and re-dubbed 1-3 with a new cast).

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:52 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:If the dub cast was announced before the movie is available to watch, there'd be controversy as people with different views on old/new casts collide, which could lead to some people going into viewing it with a bad taste in their mouths. If it is kept secret until release, that effect will largely be defused by people actually wanting to spend their time watching the movie anyway.

Would anyone be super upset they kept the same cast as the first 3 movies though? The amount of controversy from those people would be miniscule vs the alternative of a full redub with the Netflix cast.

Also if I knew which cast it will be I'd know if my first watch should be in Japqnese or not. Which will happen eventually but it will either by first or second depending on the cast.

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:46 pm

I'm almost waiting and ready for one last delay, doesn't feel like I'll have watched it 7 days from now...

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:05 pm

Apparently, the Portuguese cast of Amazon's NTE has just leaked.

SPOILER: Show

Using a VPN, it's possible to notice that the rebuild movies of "Neon Genesis Evangelion" have credits in Portuguese on Prime Video"

I'm not sure about the other dubs, but we are dealing with the Netflix cast here (Vox Mundi). That's amazing! ^_^
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:19 pm

Despite some errors in the reporting this is an interesting little interview Anno did with The New York Times.
The last paragraph is gonna keep people debating things for a looooooong time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/06/movies/evangelion-hideaki-anno.html

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:28 pm

Guys, I have info on the English dub as well. Take a look:

SPOILER: Show

These are JO's credits, apparently.
I'm almost 100% sure that this information is accurate.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:31 pm

Looks legit. Keeping things consistent after all, wonder if the Wille characters etc. will be the same.

Edit: wait, it's not consistent! AWL wasn't Rei in the Funi dub, they're going full nostalgia route. Hopefully they did redub the first three in that case, although it would be on brand with the history of Evangelion dubs to have random changes for the last film.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:34 pm

Wow can this be true about the dub actors?! What are your sources again, and what does JO mean?
Last edited by dzzthink on Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:38 pm

View Original Postdzzthink wrote:Wow can this be true about the VOs?! What are your sources again, and what does JO mean?

Jo means 2.0. Which in turn means they redubed the first three films, assuming this is indeed confirmed.

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:39 pm

I am very happy with this news and it just makes me want to re-watch the Rebuild series multiple times
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:41 pm

View Original Postdzzthink wrote:What are your sources again?

Just to make it clear:
I saw this on Twitter. The guys at "World Dubbing & News" leaked the Portuguese cast. They used "Hola Plus" (VPN) to access Prime's Japanese page. What set the deal for me is that the people at "EvangelionBR" (a respected site) confirmed the validity of this information (after trying the method by themselves).
I then asked "World Dubbing & News" about the English dub. I'm still talking to them.

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:53 pm

So they redubbed the first three movies with the SAME main cast, EXCEPT they got back Amanda Winn-Lee for Rei??

That sounds almost too perfect and fanservicey to be true!

If only this were HA's credit we could confirm Tiffany Grant as well (though, let's be honest, if they went through the trouble of getting Spike, Alison, and Amanda, they most certainly got Tiffany)

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:11 pm

I tried using Express VPN to access Japanese Prime. Unfortunately, the site recognized I was using a VPN and blocked me from watching 3.0. So I was unable to do further research lol

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”