Feedback Thread (GENERAL)

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: Are the mods/admins taking the forum the right way?

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:20 am

Not sure what you're talking about bud.

What I recall is poking fun at the "Misato offered Shinji sex" theory and you just flew off the handle.

From the eldomtom thread:

"Dude, I just gave you evidence that contradicted your claim, and all you can think of is "but this doesn't prove anything". If you aren't looking for proper, in-depth debate then you are in the wrong place. If you just want your little echo chamber telling you that your fanwank is perfect then get the fuck off here and go back to twitter. Jesus fucking christ that was the dumbest thing I read all day and I'm dealing with loopers in another thread."

Stuff like this is pretty typical for you, especially when the whole of that thread boils down to "I'm right and you're wrong" before you typed that tantrum post and locked the thread.

I assume EvaGeeks wants to be an open and welcoming place that encourages discussion and gently guides people away from less constructive conversation. That's all well and good, but I don't think they can actively pursue that with you as a moderator. You have a bad temper and get far too combative with people who hold a different interpretation from yours, or just generally with whoever happens to annoy you.

If anyone is being driven away from EvaGeeks, it's because of you. I only left the discord server when you started snapping at Felipe for something. I enjoy the server, but I don't need the shitty vibes you bring to it, and I suspect there are plenty of other users who feel the same.

But I anticipate nothing will change since the moderation team has consistently refused to hold you accountable for posts like the one quoted above.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:17 am

You know exactly what I'm talking about. I didn't expect you to stoop so low as to outright lie about events that you were part of; I get that you have a bone to pick with me, but despite my comment about increasingly losing my respect for you, I still expected better than that.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:26 am

Blockio has apologized for his mistake and we have talked to him and asked him never to repeat that kind of behavior again. As far as the staff are concerned, his case is closed. Yes, Blockio has a temper, but he is also a dedicated moderator whom we know and trust, and who is unafraid to call out bad behavior for what it is.
SPOILER: Show
Additionally, I am familiar with the complaints about Glor on the Discord, and I am aware of the highly negative reputation he has developed, and his personal dislike for Blockio after being moderated on the Discord for poor behavior.

View Original PostGlor wrote:If anyone is being driven away from EvaGeeks, it's because of you. I only left the discord server when you started snapping at Felipe for something. I enjoy the server, but I don't need the shitty vibes you bring to it, and I suspect there are plenty of other users who feel the same.

But I anticipate nothing will change since the moderation team has consistently refused to hold you accountable for posts like the one quoted above.

These insinuations against Blockio are baseless, and so are the insinuations against the moderation team. I have ample evidence from the Discord users about your own behavior, Glor, and I consider everything you have said here to be in bad faith, taking advantage of Blockio's recent mistake to complain about him.

If we are going to act on your words, Glor, it will be against you. I advise you to drop the matter quietly now.

I have also had time to cool down from my initial anger at seeing Blockio targeted like this because I feel extremely protective of someone whom I called in to moderate the forum in a crisis situation, and I think I have been excessively harsh in criticizing Glor (whether or not the criticism was deserved) when the focus was on Blockio. And as emphasized, we have spoken to Blockio about his behavior. His language was excessive and he lost his temper, and we have also had a great deal of discussion about him.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:17 pm

@Glor: You can rest assured that there are people calling Blockio out. Or rather, Zusuchan and me are doing that. Same goes for unprofessional replies like the ones seen above, but normally, those things are kept backstage - that's why it seems like nothing is done. But seeing that the feedback thread is not used to make that clear, but is instead abused by moderation to air their own grievances and threaten punishment to users who actually dare to complain, I think a public response is justified in this case, because that's exactly the unprofessional behaviour I (and other members of staff) tried to convince people not to engage in - to no effect so far, it seems.

So, to respond with something that should be said publicly, because it is true:

Blockio has apologized for his mistake and we have talked to him and asked him never to repeat that kind of behavior again. As far as the staff are concerned, his case is closed for now. Yes, Blockio has a temper, but he is also a dedicated moderator who is unafraid to call out bad behavior for what it is. We apologize again for our previously unprofessional attitude and strive to do better in the future.

Which of course sounds like an empty promise now, in light of the most recent responses by staff here.

Also, everybody please take note that me speaking out publicly against other members of staff is not an invitation or permission to air all personal grievances you have or bash the staff as a whole, and neither is this intended to start a civil war. As I said, there is a lot of behind the scenes stuff going on the public isn't privy to. So please continue to give feedback, and try to be polite about it, just like I hope staff will be polite and professional about it and actually take feedback to heart, instead of using this thread as a way to justify their actions and shoot down legitimate criticism. And just for the record, I stand by most of the recent moderation decisions and was part of the decision process for most of them, like for example the not well recieved temp-banning of BusterMachine4.
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:25 pm

Hey guys is there a place on here we can make requests?

If so, can we get something similar to a like button for posts? Sometimes I just want let people know I agree with what they are saying but don't see the point of creating a post just to say I do.

Also, any chance of a phone app in the future?
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:05 pm

I don't know about a phone app, but I believe that would probably be both too tiresome and too costly.

I don't really like the "like button" idea, it makes the forum too reminiscent of Facebook and its "like culture" for me. I personally detest "like culture" due to how it breeds simplicity and I don't want it on this forum either.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:45 pm

Yeah, I agree to both. Attaching our existing emotes as reactions would be one thing (although I have no idea how plausible said thing is to do from a technical standpoint), but just a like counter would be severely detrimental to the overall quality of conversation in my opinion. At that point it's not anymore about making thoughtful statements, but rather about saying the things that most people will agree to.

As for the app - it has been brought up before, and unfortunately, the effort that would go into creating it and the maintenance is in no proportion to how useful it would be, not to mention the costs for the additional infrastructure and both Appstore and Google Play demanding ads, which we don't want on here.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:06 pm

I'm pretty sure the phone app Tapatalk, which I've used with other forum software, requires a more recent version of this forum's software - which would be a big job for us to update... It is free for the server, though, in it's basic form, and no big deal to install in compatible software.

I've no idea about adding likes to this software - but my experience with them elsewhere leads me to suggest that they are probably best avoided in a forum context.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:38 am

a) I am generally very glad that this place is NOT social media & still resembles the way more individual older-style internet;

Topic and so on are ultimately cultural conventions & I want to keep them that way.

As I rarely go into the administrative or off-topic Forums I only belatedly noticed that there was apparently some mass attack by pro-trump trolls & that maybe this might've caused the more charged atmosphere as of late, ugh must USA politics spill everywhere but this is our interconnected world cant have the good without some bad

b) I think most of the criticism is exaggerated but not all.

There's this whole "tumblr faction" (and I say this in love as someone who goes there often cause its less worse than the competition & has better fanart) who's just permanently conflated all old-school geek culture with the alt right segment thereof & they're gonna call elitism and toxicity on anything they feel smells of it. They also assume everyone here is a dude. ; Long story short, you cant please everyone

With that said I do think I recall some instances that seemed like dogpiling on someone

It's one thing if they keep devolving things into "Yes!" "no!" "yes!" "No!" exchanges of being done to it but I'd rather have someone come in with a not so solid argument & then develop it in discussion then being chased off before they can get to that point.

Maybe the problem isn't so much the "what" but the "how" - ie, a lot of the stuff that was cited here as delete worthy probably was but the use of mockery should probably still be reduced for the sake of the overall tone.

c) We really gotta avoid falling into/ avoiding any sort of 'default interpretation' that kills new creativity.
Let ppl float wacky ideas & new perspectives; Don't reflexively label any interpretation that references some romantic attachments as "ship discourse"

I think a lot of stuff including wiki articles could use to be more 'multiple option/interpretation friendly', (and I don't just mean Kaworu & stuff but like... EVA 00's soul) - when in doubt, list multiple possibilities.

Consider that we're talking about a medium that has repeatedly been describing as being deliberately ambiguous & information-overloady to create a bit of a CYA effect. (of course 'multiple things make sense' is a very different statement from 'any BS is possible')
I think the appreciation of this is something our times rly need & something that older animes have a lot but which is rarer in modern media where often ppl want everything packaged with a clear answer & unambiguous moral label. That's the right tool sometimes, but, anything preceded by "always" & followed by "this is the only way" runs the risk of being a false god.

Tl; Dr - The last thing I'd want is to fundamentally change the nature of the forum etc. but maybe it would be good to keep tone & openness in the back of ppls heads.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:34 am

I used to like the idea of a "Like" button on the forum, but after having spent close to a month away from Facebook and my mental health really getting better as a result, I've since thought, "Nah, I don't need anything that looks like Facebook entering the forum's atmosphere."

shinryujimikihiko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby shinryujimikihiko » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:34 am

I am no one of standing on this forum but I will add my voice against any sort of "liking/upvoting/karma" or what you may call it. This sort of thing poisons rational discussion and reduces it into a popularity contest. It is one of the most insidious features of places like Reddit. Perhaps it would be acceptable if it could be limited to things like fanart posts that don't involve controversy and debate, but my intuition is that that is a soft and vague boundary that could not be enforced in a reasonable manner. Let's keep the social media hivemind tendencies far away from EvaGeeks.

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:49 pm

User: FelipeFritschF; Sefirot Tree Of Life
Length: One month
Reason: Making light of Anno recieving a head injury, insinuating that it caused lasting brain damage that "led to the creation of Rebuild"

I've seen few bans that are actually this asinine, even if it is just for a month. And by Blockio no less! What a surprise!
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:44 am

Yeah, that was a pretty lame reason for even a temp-ban. Blockio said that they were trying to pull a "just a joke bro" excuse, but in that case it was actually a joke, and a pretty obvious one at that. They deserved a warning at worst for that, especially given how much of an established member Felipe is.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:49 pm

It came over to me as offensive.

There are still some places that feel that causing offence is unacceptable, even if the rest of the Intenet is happy with it - this is one such place.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:47 am

I mean, I found the joke kind of tasteless too. I’m not saying that I thought the joke was even remotely funny, but my point is that it was still just a joke. They probably deserved a warning for that, but a 1 month temp ban is complete overkill in my opinion. There’s a fine line between protecting respect and decency and just being overly harsh.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:00 pm

^ I see where you’re coming from, and that would make more sense if this was Felipe’s first offense. But he’s been a handful in other areas of EGF (for example, the Wiki in particular), so in light of that, we felt as though this was the next logical move to make.

I understand that everyone (myself included) is unbearably excited for a movie that’s kept us waiting for 8 years. There are many healthy avenues through which to express that excitement. Felipe’s excitement needs to be more focused in a positive direction, and his overall behavior as of late didn’t reflect that.

We’re excited to have him back after the ban length to discuss more Eva! ^_^

Thank you for your concerns regarding EGF. It’s really appreciated! :D

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:13 pm

Having read through the thread, I feel as if I've experienced many of the complaints first hand. This stretches back to almost my entire time on the forum, beginning from when I was a newbie. "Intimidating and silencing" is apt.

The most recent example can be seen here: thread/21174/what-if-netflix-did-a-live-action-evangelion-series-/

At a certain point a tangential aspect of some of my discussion was (from my POV) zoomed in on and unfairly interpreted. I can't help but feel (echoing some previous posts) that in the attempt to dissuade me from what was seen as off-topic, speaking of NTE in a way that was seen as unfair, the topic was derailed in doing so, but the accusation and blame placed on me.

I don't understand why my opinion being lukewarm about NTE "drives users away, brings down the standard of discussion, and ruins the atmosphere," as I don't feel those with positive opinions have that affect on me. I also find it confusing because I don't see my posts as anything but exploratory; maybe others find my arguments weak, but I don't see why that should be used as a reason to prevent me from trying when everyone else gets to air their thoughts.

At this point I can't help but feel, because my benefit of the doubt is exhausted, that I'm being targeted because the mod(s) simply don't like me personally and disagree subjectively with what I think and feel. I've asked before and I asked again what about my opinion was "without substance, context, or backing," and I've yet to receive a thorough explanation. The closest I've received is "it's not what you say, but how you say it," and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with that. I could only interpet it as "please go away," and I almost did. I can't help but think of how many users got that same message implicitly as lurkers and felt this place was too unwelcoming to ever post or stay for long.

The post by Kendrix above sums it up; "It's one thing if they keep devolving things into "Yes!" "no!" "yes!" "No!" exchanges of being done to it but I'd rather have someone come in with a not so solid argument & then develop it in discussion then being chased off before they can get to that point."

I ended up having to play defense in that thread just to be able to explore my opinion further and take part in a discussion, and I find it unfair that wasn't just granted to me by default. I had no ill-intention when bringing up NTE for the sake of comparison, I thought it was entirely relevant, I was willing to explore and discuss its relevance if someone disagreed, and I find it alarming that it acted as some kind of bird call for mod brute force that, again, seemed itself to stop the thread dead in its tracks.
Après moi le déluge!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:16 pm

No one's challenging your subjectivity on the narrative Evangelion materials themselves, but there does seem to be some disagreement on what you think the historical matters of the production processes themselves are to be. Saying, "I don't like _ Evangelion thing and here are the reasons why I think It sucks," is absolutely fine. (I personally enjoy seeing detailed opinions that counter my own on media that I love.) But constantly referring to the history behind newer Eva developments in a way that suggests that the author's relationship to the series to be that of a "cash cow," of sorts, at least implicitly suggests a particular kind of relationship between an author's work and the higher-ups that demand the author to sell out as quickly and as efficiently as possible, and requires data that is not entirely reflected by the available history recorded in CRCs, Groundworks books, and interviews of the staff at Khara. (This demonstrably isn't a DC Cinematic Universe scenario where Justice League had to be released by a certain date no matter what, so they get any popular-name-director to lay down new tracks before the oncoming train.)

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:45 pm

Except that I've experienced the same thing before when talking purely about the narrative and presenting my takes.

As for the monetary motivation behind Rebuild, this interview has Anno discussing how creative decisions are impacted by producer concerns about harm to commercial solubility. This video is not a citation that supports the statement "Rebuild is a cash cow," but that was never the argument I was making. What I said that I would concede is unfair, because it's a bit of an unprovable statement, is the idea that Rebuild wouldn't exist if not for Eva's rampant commercial success. That being the case doesn't eliminate or argue away whatever purer intentions Anno had and has expressed, and it just seems undeniable to me. Nonetheless, I don't see why that statement is controversial, or why I would need to back up speculation or conjecture with hard data every single time, especially in the chit-chat subforum, and especially when discourse can iron out a bad take or undeveloped statement if it's allowed to be participatory. I'm not here to make a defense of my opinion or how I initially presented it, I'm just saying that I feel interrupting it on the basis of poor faith accusations of ill intent when that hasn't been fairly established seems counterproductive from an admin sense.
Après moi le déluge!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:34 pm

So, a couple of things to address here.

1. "Rebuild wouldn't exist if not for Eva's rampant commercial success," is, itself, a sentence that uses disparaging language to make its point. "Rampant" is rarely used in a positive sense. Whether intentional or no, the language you express here only serves to color your portrayal of Eva's history as inherently discouraging and paints the motivations of the filmmakers as diminutive in nature. If this is not the intended reasoning behind your language, then change your language when expressing your ideas and opinions. However, if this is the intended reasoning behind your language, then I personally wouldn't be surprised if people took offense to that.

2. The greater discourse around Eva's various narrative forms is often constructed upon details of the show, both in its presentation by the artists and its reception by audiences. Thusly, discussions can become rather tricky to have when details are presented without proper context. If you feel as though people are not accepting seeing the details you present as you would like, then perhaps better contextualize those details so as to make your point more substantially. And, referring back to my first point, the use of language is key.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”