Amazon Prime Video release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Re: Amazon Prime Video release

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:43 am

It feels so near but so far.

View Original PostHooded_Omar wrote:Sorry, my bad. They're being used for promotion on Amazon's website so I didn't think they counted as spoiler material.

Which is why you should always read the spoiler policy and not make assumptions about it. Different sites have different policies. For us, anything official released after March 8 is a spoiler, no exceptions.

Spoiler Policy wrote:1a. ALL 3.0 + 1.0 material after the Avant preview and all discussion about it as well as speculation about what lies beyond (if anything) goes in the 3.0 + 1.0 sub-forum. NO EXCEPTIONS. This includes the Evangelion 3.0 (-120 min) supplemental manga.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:58 am

So Amazon US updated the 3.0+1.01 page and have changed the movie's rating from "All" to "16+".

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:26 pm

Note that the current plan is to lift the spoiler rules after the weekend following the release. This gives people two weekends, or about ten days to watch before spoilers run free.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:53 am

Been going through TV version for the first time in 20 odd years and it feels quite refreshing. I forgot how different the cast sounds compared to the Rebuild even though they are all same VAs. Also I can feel the TVA + budget restriction with how much still shots they have lol. Also the pacing is really great overall.
It also made me appreciate how great job the Rebuild has done in terms of some of the big setpiece fights like ramiel and sahaquiel that it makes the TV version of those fights (understandably) underwhelming in comparison.
Also sprach Zarathustra

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:15 am

Are you watching in Japanese with English subs or one of the dubs?

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:09 am

Japanese voice
Also sprach Zarathustra

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:46 am

I feel like Ogata, Mitsuishi, and Tachiki are the ones whose voices have noticeably changed between early NGE and Rebuild. Mitsuishi did note she was struggling to regain her youthful voice for Misato in 1.0/2.0 and was glad when 3.0 allowed her to use her "default" adult voice.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:08 pm

Miyamura also said she struggled to voice Asuka in NTE. However, her passion for the character is so strong that this is barely noticeable. It's clear that she truly did her absolute best and that's awesome!
Also, she had to tweak Asuka's voice twice in a row. Shikinami is fundamentally a different character than Soryu. Because of it, she was instructed to perform a bit differently in HA. When Q came along, she reinvent herself yet again (going for a "bounty hunter", mature style).
Asuka was a character no one was afraid to experiment with in NTE.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Zethus Thorne
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zethus Thorne » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:09 pm

View Original PostHooded_Omar wrote:So Amazon US updated the 3.0+1.01 page and have changed the movie's rating from "All" to "16+".

I'm guessing not to confuse parents into letting their kids watch something that has blood and death

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:40 pm

Yeah, but I find it strange that 1.0, for example, is rated PG-13 (according to this: https://www.filmratings.com/Search?filmTitle=evangelion&x=0&y=0) while 3.0+1.01 is 16+.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:30 pm

Some film industry folks - this the screenwriter of the Nicolas Cage masterpiece MANDY - and some film critics - I know one of Collider's critics saw it - were given access to the film today. Presumably I would expect US sites to start running their reviews within the week. Hopefully they're smart enough to not go full spoiler.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:04 pm

View Original PostHooded_Omar wrote:Are you watching in Japanese with English subs or one of the dubs?

Speaking of English dubs - I left a comment on a recent vids on Spike Spencer's channel along the lines of "Here's hoping you're doing a role in that thing on Amazon in a couple of weeks".

Reply from Spike: "Here's hopin'!"

Compare with how open the ADV/Funi voice cast were with the whole Netflix thing.

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Presumably I would expect US sites to start running their reviews within the week. Hopefully they're smart enough to not go full spoiler.

Poygon put up a review "published in accordance with the studio’s review embargo" earlier today. I don't think there's any spoiler but I won't link it - it's easy enough to find.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:07 pm

do everything in your power to make sure the world doesn’t end before August 13th so you can see it

I legitimately love this bit. That's exactly what I've been trying to do for months! I must stay alive until Shin comes out! This is my ultimate goal! lol
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:45 am

Do these critics have access to any of the dubs or only Japanese audio with Eng subs? Cuz if they do have access, couldn't they tell us about the English cast?

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:07 am

Gathering some reviews from today:

"An uneven but genuinely thrilling and moving mess with its heart in the right place. The Rebuild of Evangelion movies finally culminate in the appropriately convoluted and gratifyingly peaceful Thrice Upon a Time."
- Gretchen Felker-Martin of Fanbyte

"EVANGELION 3.0+1.0: THRICE UPON A TIME is my favorite film of 2021 so far. It’s dense with text and subtext, it’s deeply moving, and its got really damn good horrifying giant android action."
- Justin Harrison of The Spool

"Evangelion 1.0+3.0 Thrice Upon a Time isn’t just a fitting end to the new films, but to Evangelion as a whole and Anno Hideaki's relationship to it."
- Siddhant Adlakha of Polygon

(TLed from Portuguese) "Evangelion: 3.0+1.0: The Hope is an ending that echoes motifs from the original series and also from the masterpiece The End of Evangelion, but now, firmly nailing a conclusion."
- Leonardo 'Kitsune' Camargo of NerdBunker (THIS ONE HAS SPOILERS)

Seems like the CGI usage and fanservice are the primary gripes for the film which isn't new, but these are all positive reviews.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:18 am

IGN Brasil seems to have full review with score of 9.5/10. Didn't actually read the review itself so not sure if it contains spoilers or not.
Also sprach Zarathustra

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:15 am

Be aware - the Fanbyte review has minor spoilers for characters, setting and a couple of minor plot points that you definately won't know about unless you've read leaks or seen leaked footage.

View Original Postxenosaga wrote:IGN Brasil seems to have full review with score of 9.5/10. Didn't actually read the review itself so not sure if it contains spoilers or not.

I got spoiled, or rather decided to read spoilers, on Day One - or rather a few hours before day one due to that accessibility app script leak - I'd be happy to be a spoiler buffer if people want to post up or PM me links to check :)

View Original PostHooded_Omar wrote:Do these critics have access to any of the dubs or only Japanese audio with Eng subs? Cuz if they do have access, couldn't they tell us about the English cast?

The Polygon review only namechecked the Japanese cast so either they are only being shown the subbed version or are told to keep the identities of dub cast members under wraps. Why the secrecy I have no idea. Maybe they don't want a repeat of the Netflix debacle.
Last edited by Jayfive on Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:16 am

It's spoiler free.
View Original PostIGN Brasil wrote:AMAZING
Unafraid to dare, the movie is Evangelion at its best. A possible mark of Japanese animation, it's a more than worthy conclusion to the whole saga.

GhostlyOcam wrote:(TLed from Portuguese) "Evangelion: 3.0+1.0: The Hope is an ending that echoes motifs from the original series and also from the masterpiece The End of Evangelion, but now, firmly nailing a conclusion."
- Leonardo 'Kitsune' Camargo of NerdBunker (THIS ONE HAS SPOILERS)

Leo Kitsune is an Eva fanboy, he knows very well what he is talking about and has a vast knowledge of the franchise. It's thanks to him that I'm into in Evangelion.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:11 pm

View Original PostHooded_Omar wrote:Yeah, but I find it strange that 1.0, for example, is rated PG-13 (according to this: https://www.filmratings.com/Search?filmTitle=evangelion&x=0&y=0) while 3.0+1.01 is 16+.

Not really? Amazon rated the movie 16+ based on their own ratings guidelines while 1.0 was rated by the official MPAA as PG-13. Funimation only sent the first movie to the ratings system and gave 2.0 and 3.0 TV-14 ratings because any content provider was allowed to use those and they have the same "rate it based on your own guidelines" system too.

If Funimation released the movie here they'd have probably given it a TV-14 rating too. It all just depends on who's rating it and why.

BTW Netflix gave EoE a TV-14 rating so that should show how subjective this is.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:26 pm

Newsweek out here giving Anno a run for his money in silly naming conventions.

I don't know about you but I personally am more excited for Evangelion 3.03.01+1.01 Thrice Upon A Time than I am Evangelion 3.03.0+1.01 Thrice Upon A Time. How about yourselves?

https://www.newsweek.com/where-evangelion-3-03-01-01-thrice-upon-time-fits-neon-genesis-evangelion-franchise-1615566

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”