Amazon Prime Video release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Re: Amazon Prime Video release

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:53 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Something about the Russian language and something about Gendo suggest that the two were meant to go together.

Putin has definitely reenacted the Shinji/Gendo elevator scene with his children

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:13 am

UrsusArctos wrote:"Buy the popcorn and prepare your little heart" the guy says!

To quote Joel: "That person knows very well what we are feeling." :lol:

I've been thinking about what you said. NTE is getting a Hindi dub before NGE. That's crazy! I hope it's high quality. India is a huge country. There must be a lot of fans in it.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:41 pm

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:I've been thinking about what you said. NTE is getting a Hindi dub before NGE. That's crazy! I hope it's high quality. India is a huge country. There must be a lot of fans in it.

A lot of fans who are very vocal about the lack of anime releases and strongly supportive of anime, as a matter of fact. There's even an all-Indian anime studio that appears to be based in Calcutta and they even have an Indian anime in the works. The language in that trailer is Bengali, spoken in the Indian state of West Bengal and the country of Bangladesh, but notice how freely they switch between Bengali and Bengali-accented English.

Given the content of Evangelion, I'm not surprised that there's been no dub in any of the major Indian languages or even a TV airing, but perhaps that'll change, even if only for commercial purposes.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:25 pm

I will be very shocked if in a month all 4 NTE films come out with a dub for like 20+ languages on Prime. I think subs for 20+ languages are more likely.

Random shower thought but Amazon can make a power play and hire a mix of actors from both dubs for an English language track experience that'll make everyone confused/unsatisfied when listening to it for the first 15 times you watch the film, galaxy brain 2000IQ move :emogendo: but they wont meme us cause Bezos doesn't have a sense of humour

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:28 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:
Random shower thought but Amazon can make a power play and hire a mix of actors from both dubs for an English language track experience that'll make everyone confused/unsatisfied when listening to it for the first 15 times you watch the film, galaxy brain 2000IQ move :emogendo: but they wont meme us cause Bezos doesn't have a sense of humour

That's pretty much what I think is going to happen at this point.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:59 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:I will be very shocked if in a month all 4 NTE films come out with a dub for like 20+ languages on Prime. I think subs for 20+ languages are more likely.

10 dub languages (Japanese included) and 28 subs, it's right there on the Amazon page!

If Amazon really wanted to troll us they'd get an entire new voice cast for each of the NTE films in each of the dub languages.

Alternatively...

Don't click unless you've been spoiled!  SPOILER: Show
Alternatively, they could use the Netflix dub cast for the teenage versions of the characters and then switch to their ADV dub counterparts for them as adults! :kaos_akuma:
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:29 pm

By the way, since I know people were talking about it, the comic con panel with Anno is live now. Not much in the way of news since it's mostly Anno simply talking about NTE coming to an end. He does mention he would like to work on animation again after he's done some live action films and the interviewer confirms that 1.11, 2.22, and 3.33 will all be available on 8-13 like the last film (don't know if a date was confirmed for those three, I'm pretty sure they don't have placeholder pages on Amazon yet).

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:23 pm

Only about two weeks left 'til the Rebuild tetralogy comes to Prime, we're nearly there! ^_^

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:08 am

Farewell, All of Evangelion ~1214 Days of Hideaki Anno~ documentary which is an extended version of The Professionals TV special will also be available to stream on Prime on the exact same day as Shin Eva. Sadly it's Japan-only for now, but I hope that changes soon.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:11 pm

3.0+1.01 is now listed on Prime Video in the United States. 1.11, 2.22 and 3.33 don't seem to have been listed yet. Unfortunately, the page only lists some of the original voice actors so no new info about voice actors for other languages.

https://www.amazon.com/13-EVANGELION-1-01-THRICE-UPON/dp/B098WNZSQ3/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Evangelion&qid=1627510080&s=instant-video&sr=1-1

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:50 pm

Dan Kanemitsu did say we'd know all that on August 13.

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:20 am

Well, I still wonder why they're being so secretive about the dub voice actors. In the trailer and clip uploaded by Prime Video US, they only used Japanese audio with English subs.

Usually when it comes to anime there's at least a Japanese w/ Eng subs trailer and an English dub trailer.

And the trailer literally only has one spoken line by Shinji at the end, you'd think it would be super easy, barely an inconvenience to extract that line from the dub and insert it into the trailer.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:32 am

Note that the dub secrecy doesn't just extend to the English dub, it extends to all dubs, with the obvious exception of Japanese. It's quite possible that the answer is legal. Amazon probably contracts its dub VAs under non-disclosure agreements and neither Amazon nor the VA can legally reveal that they have been contracted for this particular work. Why should there be an NDA? That's an industry question, and I can't answer it.

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:56 pm

Amazon posted two commercials for Thrice Upon A Time on their site:

Commercial A: [Link removed]
Commercial B: [Link removed]

I find it interesting that, like in the trailer, they once again used 3.0+1.0 instead of 3.0+1.01.

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:09 pm

how long are they and how much do they spoil the movie?
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:23 pm

15 seconds each. Commercial A is more or less the same stuff we've seen in the Prime Video trailer. Commercial B shows a few new scenes but they don't seem to spoil too much imo.

Keep in mind I haven't seen the actual movie yet; I'm planning on seeing it when it comes to Prime next month.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:43 pm

I’ve removed those links, as they violate the spoiler policy.
Both videos were TV spots, broadcasted 4 months ago. You can find them on khara's YouTube channel.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:35 am

View Original PostHooded_Omar wrote:15 seconds each. Commercial A is more or less the same stuff we've seen in the Prime Video trailer. Commercial B shows a few new scenes but they don't seem to spoil too much imo.

Please don't post links to any commercial or trailer created after the movie release date in the non-spoiler subforum. It's against the rules.

Post and discuss spoiler material and the trailers used for the Prime Video release as much as you want in the spoiler subforum. That's what it's for! This part of the forum is meant to be as spoiler-free as possible, and we would appreciate it if you help us keep it that way.

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:59 am

Sorry, my bad. They're being used for promotion on Amazon's website so I didn't think they counted as spoiler material.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:28 am

Only 14 days away now, so soon will all be able to take part in discussion of Shin!
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”