Writers Help

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Writers Help

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:07 am

View Original PostArmoured-man wrote:I am still relatively new to writing FanFiction so I've got a question, is there anything specific to Evangelion that should be taken into account when writing an Evangelion fanfiction?.

I say write what ever you want if you can justify it and make it work go for it. ^_^
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Armoured-man
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Armoured-man » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:54 am

hmm ok thanks, I think I might go back and rewatch the original NGE to get a better idea of the characters and how they act before actually writing my story, considering that I plan to do a reaction fanfiction, where the main characters are forced to watch the events of the series and the end of Evangelion, but in order to do that I have to get a better idea of how the characters would actually act and react to quite literally seeing their deepest darkest secrets put on display
a humble artist by day, an absolutely god-awful fanfic Writer by night

The18°angel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The18°angel » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:16 pm

a question the relationship between Misato and Shinji would be different if Shinji were a young adult 20/21 years old, how much would the relationship between them change? besides the obvious that Shinji wouldn't go live with Misato.

and a question about the characterization of Mari, in the anime and rebuild Asuka uses the wordenwand, Shinji the music player and Rei reads books. in Mari's case would she read manga and occasionally books, or she would do something more physical to be able to spend time alone such as exercise or martial arts?

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:30 pm

View Original PostThe18°angel wrote:a question the relationship between Misato and Shinji would be different if Shinji were a young adult 20/21 years old, how much would the relationship between them change? besides the obvious that Shinji wouldn't go live with Misato.

Yes I think it would change but I feel it would become far more mother and son like.

and a question about the characterization of Mari, in the anime and rebuild Asuka uses the wordenwand, Shinji the music player and Rei reads books. in Mari's case would she read manga and occasionally books, or she would do something more physical to be able to spend time alone such as exercise or martial arts?

I wrote Mari in her 20's as liking hacking and robotics but like older Asuka really liking military training the type that the FBI and MI6 use which is about taking someone down fast and brutally as well as firearm training. As martial arts from what I've heard is not good in real world combat whereas the combat in Bourne is for real world use.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:09 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Well, I have a dialogue scene I've been sitting for over half a year now....

I have no idea how to make the scene flow. Dialogue I can write, but those little pieces of narrative between the spoken lines about what the characters are doing in the background? Never got the hang of it.

I imagine you're well past this point, now, but you don't have to actually fill the space between dialogue all of the time. Sometimes, it becomes needless exposition when the conversation itself is telling us what we need. There's nothing wrong with a simple back and forth of dialogue without having to consistently tack on 'he said,' or 'she replied,' or to describe what is happening around that conversation. The conversation is as much part of storytelling as the narration. Given good dialogue, this can create a rhythm in the reader's mind, which can enhance the experience of the conversation (and allow the reader's mind to better fill in and create the scene than a writer could).

Sometimes, it's acceptable to simply string the dialogue until you come to a point where a physical action or sudden thought deserves clarification, allowing you to break the rhythm for a moment to give the reader a chance to assess what's been said. I say write the dialogue out, envision the scene in your mind as it would play out, note the moments that would be interesting to you behavior wise, and see how to integrate those moments into the dialogue you've written.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:39 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:I imagine you're well past this point, now.

Yeah, I finally posted that in May. As a second opinion, do you think the final result is adequate enough?
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:12 pm

More than adequate. The pacing and dialogue is very well balanced.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

somedude234
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby somedude234 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:28 pm

How would Asuka react if she went into one of the cages and saw an EVA with its face exposed?ImageUnit-01 for context

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:30 pm

Probably the same way she reacted to seeing Unit 01 exit Leliel.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:52 pm

View Original Postsomedude234 wrote:How would Asuka react if she went into one of the cages and saw an EVA with its face exposed?ImageUnit-01 for context

I think like Shinji it would freak her out as she acts really uncertain in the series when she see Shinji use 01 to rip out of Leliel, I do think she'd get over it very fast though and even more so if realized her mother's soul was in the core.

The18°angel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The18°angel » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:17 pm

Hi
I have a question.
What if Asuka shikinami exchange place with Asuka soryu, how would shikinami do in nge, i mean shikinami has her problems but they are complete diferent than soryu. How much would change nge if shikinami was the second child instead of soryu

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:51 am

View Original PostThe18°angel wrote:Hi
I have a question.
What if Asuka shikinami exchange place with Asuka soryu, how would shikinami do in nge, i mean shikinami has her problems but they are complete diferent than soryu. How much would change nge if shikinami was the second child instead of soryu

I think Soryu is more prone to depression than Shikinami so the Bardiel event aftermath could be very different with her loosing her eye. Saying this though, the earlier Misato and Ritsuko's are more open and helpful and might help her more up to 3.33.

It's an interesting idea for a crossover if you had them accidentally switch, like some experiment goes wrong in one universe and they both get portal switched but can't return to their true worlds.

DiracSea902
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DiracSea902 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:59 pm

Entirely jammed up on my fanfic, and can't get a damn thing written. Everything I type just comes out wrong to me, and I have no idea how to make it work. Absolutely maddening.
https://archiveofourown.org/works/20634977

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:53 pm

View Original PostDiracSea902 wrote:Entirely jammed up on my fanfic, and can't get a damn thing written. Everything I type just comes out wrong to me, and I have no idea how to make it work. Absolutely maddening.
https://archiveofourown.org/works/20634977

This happens when you're trying too hard or forcing it, you need to step back and do another hobby and not think on it, like give yourself a two/three week break then come back totally fresh I call this writer fatigue when you're not taking enough breaks, and it's leads to either disliking everything you write or getting writers block.

I really hope this helps ^_^

agentlouisiana1
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby agentlouisiana1 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:37 pm

yo, i've had an idea in my head for god knows. i just don't know how i can put it into "words"

okay so like i was thinking a flip flop between "normal" ff and in-universe "video"-ing ala any low-budget horror, kane and lynch 2 or idk the first part of district 9 recorded by the oc (are these "frowned upon" in this community?? idk if that's the right way to go about this or not..

anyway, since progressing the story via a in-universe camera the whole way through doesn't seem like a fun activity to either read or write imo, some normal writing should leviate the problems. cool concept or shit?
"it's proof that jesus died in vain and legally changed his name to 'FUCKING'! the only thing i could think to use these things for is to wipe your ass with it!"

- calmest rebuild discussion

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:25 pm

I think you mean "alleviate the problem".

If you're doing this in writing, you would need two distinct storytelling styles for the two parts to carry off the conceit; possibly as extreme as between objective third person for the video record bits, and first person subjective for the contrasting sections.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:42 am

Yeah, that would definitely need to be done through stylistic tricks; narrator perspective is one thing, another might be to vary sentence and paragraph length; long, descriptive sentences with few line breaks and little direct speech for the objective sections and shorter, more hectic sections with frequent line breaks and a lot of direct speech for the camera sections would be my gut response to doing a framing technique like that
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Turismo030650
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Turismo030650 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:01 am

Guys, I have an idea of ​​making a Resident Evil Outbreak Fanfic or inspired by this game, prison of 8 survivors and extras, the city is thinking about making the one about Resident Evil 6 more Taking away all the action and madness that is Resident Evil 6 and adding all the Survival horror themes from old games, we will be 8 ordinary citizens of tall oaks Remembering that ordinary civilians in the City may have some things like police, ex-soldiers from that war, but nothing like superheroes Exaggerated stuff, you know, since we are 8 citizens of tall oaks Some In the story, readers will interact with the story, I also want to suggest a setting and name and such, it will be kind of like a roleplay with a story and such.

Observation: Realistic name doesn't have to be the person's real name, if you want to invent one, you can, as long as it's a person's name, you can put unknown age and weight too, but I'll put a limit Just for 1 To do this, guys, the candidates, I will write down the name in the notepad and when the notebook is finished, it will start in the suggested scenario, remembering the pair, it will have to be closed in 4 and I will let you know when it is Open the pairs for Forma since, just like in the outbreak, the group will be divided into 2 Information I want about your characters and height, age, name and that's it if you want a story for your character, it's optional
A somewhat emo boy Normal Young I still have a lot to learn, I work hard and I dream of going to college and making my dreams come true Always thinking positive and persisting in my dream I like games I love my favorite band Green Day I like Nirvana tree days grace Also Queen the Beatles Legião Urbana And general good rock

Megumin_077
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Megumin_077 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:16 am

View Original PostTurismo030650 wrote:Guys, I have an idea of ​​making a Resident Evil Outbreak Fanfic or inspired by this game, prison of 8 survivors and extras, the city is thinking about making the one about Resident Evil 6 more Taking away all the action and madness that is Resident Evil 6 and adding all the Survival horror themes from old games, we will be 8 ordinary citizens of tall oaks Remembering that ordinary civilians in the City may have some things like police, ex-soldiers from that war, but nothing like superheroes Exaggerated stuff, you know, since we are 8 citizens of tall oaks Some In the story, readers will interact with the story, I also want to suggest a setting and name and such, it will be kind of like a roleplay with a story and such.

Observation: Realistic name doesn't have to be the person's real name, if you want to invent one, you can, as long as it's a person's name, you can put unknown age and weight too, but I'll put a limit Just for 1 To do this, guys, the candidates, I will write down the name in the notepad and when the notebook is finished, it will start in the suggested scenario, remembering the pair, it will have to be closed in 4 and I will let you know when it is Open the pairs for Forma since, just like in the outbreak, the group will be divided into 2 Information I want about your characters and height, age, name and that's it if you want a story for your character, it's optional

Interesting, well, if admin allows it, I'm here, well, write it down

Name: hiromi hiroko
Nationality: Japanese
Height: 1,57
History: Unknown

Return to “Fanfiction”