Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2016 to now

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:06 pm

View Original PostEvaChero wrote:I thought it finished a little weakly in it's first season but Higurashi Gou season 2 opened up nicely the first 2 episodes with plenty of gruesome goodness! :devil:

Have you seen the old Higurashi anime? If so, how do you feel they compare?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:54 pm

No I haven't , I would really like to see it. The current one is somewhat refreshing to me for the most part, It would be interesting to see the original as you say for comparison.
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:15 pm

Been marathoning Teknoman today and have to state the obvious: Balzac the reporter is an idiot but in terms of absolute being of no redeemable qualities, the honor goes to General Galt. As for Blade socializing with both Space Knight and regular military, he's guarded for obvious reasons but several encounters help him lower his guard. Anyway, I hope that they start giving a bit more screen time to Star since she does end up being Blade's girlfriend so anything that doesn't involve the usual flying the spaceship and sharing banter with Ringo would be fine.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:46 am

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:I recently watched Godzilla Singular Point on Netflix. I’m just a few episodes in, so I haven’t covered the whole thing yet.

Watch out, the techno-babble goes to warp speed about halfway through, and it's nigh impossible to keep up with.

Godzilla also becomes a side character throughout the whole thing; other than being among the disasters going on, I'm not certain he matters.

SPOILER: Show
... the ending scenes may prove me wrong however.

The show is still enjoyable, it's Kaiju meets Kado: The Right Answer dimension-bending vibes, with a heavy dose of nostalgia (Jet Alone inspiration Jet Jaguar is a featured presence).

There's no real emotional through line, no character development to speak of. It's high concept, sci-fi troppiness thrown in as an excuse for monster bashing.
And while the monsters I thought were the reason we're here, the series really wants you to think it's the high concept.

Meh. Godzilla roars, the AI characters are fun to watch, and I like the rethinking of the premise. That and the grounded way Jet Jaguar fights (mostly) makes me give the series a lot of leeway.

View Original PostBlockio wrote:
View Original Postpwhodges#925172 wrote:Although 86 - Eighty Six has ended for now, it is advertised as a split-cour show with another twelve episodes to come later to finish "season 1". What we've had so far is the whole of the first book of the original light novel series, but without the epilogue, and part of the second. My guess is that the next cour will use the rest of books two and three, ending up with the epilogue of book one (which they lead into). I agree that it's well worth watching (I'd originally missed it in the listings - thanks to Bagheera for pointing it out to me). The handling of the racism theme is not as brutally on the nose as it is in the books, where it's spelt out again and again, perhaps to a level that spoils it! There are many more books, so if this season is a success there is plenty of material for a follow-up.

I'm super looking forward to that; 86 is definitely one of the best shows I've watched recently

It's like Valkyria Chronicles meets Zoids Assault... so I think I'd be interested to play the game, but as presented, the show kind of fell flat for me.

The pilot's main recourse for how he wins fights seems to just be "I'm batman" logic, he outfights his opponents through use of bullet-time maneuvering between shell fire. Not because of superior tactics or positioning (implied, not shown). A least, not in the first 5 episodes I watched.

I also recently watched Obsolete, and I'm kind of amazed in hindsight how much that series conveys character depth despite fairly minimal storytelling, with not much continuity.

It also conveyed really well how the mecha changed the landscape of the battlefield; what advantages and disadvantages they had against conventional weapon systems. Maybe my thirst for that kind of technical depth is why I can't look past the Light Novel-tropeness in 86's action.

To be fair, I didn't get past episode 1 of Girl und Panzers or Valkyria Chronicles anime for similar reasons.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:14 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Watch out, the techno-babble goes to warp speed about halfway through, and it's nigh impossible to keep up with.

Unlike the usual Star Trek technobabble, the talk here was written by someone who has a grasp of real science and it shows. I love the nerdery of it all, and I actually don't mind having Godzilla held back and used sparingly as a creature of apocalyptic destruction, or the lack of character development in favor of science. The brief appearance of the real-life JMSDF ships JS Kirishima, JS Teruzuki and JS Asahi made it all the sweeter for me.

Feel free to debate me about this in the Godzilla thread in the Film and Video section, O Great Husky! (The original Alaska Slim was a famous husky, wasn't he? Or did I misremember that?)
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:47 am

I really liked Singular Point. It really compares favorably to something like Primer to me- like it may not be character driven, but the characters still have distinct, definable enough personalities (Some of that may just come down to design & actor performance but you know what, that goes a long way). The expository dialogue is easy enough to follow and feels directly connected to what I'm watching etc.

It was certainly better than Urobuchi's half-hearted Gargantia retread in his Godzilla trilogy anyways.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:06 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:
View Original PostAlaska Slim#926291 wrote:Watch out, the techno-babble goes to warp speed about halfway through, and it's nigh impossible to keep up with.

Unlike the usual Star Trek technobabble, the talk here was written by someone who has a grasp of real science and it shows.

Oh I fully agree, the solution to the crisis was never just "fire MUR tachyon beamZ!", even though Tachyons are actually relevant here. -o-;

The archetype felt well-articulated as both concept and threat, and (thanks to relevant conversations by Lex Fridman), I could follow why JJ's AI had to regress before....

it could be ready to be the "solution" to the catastrophe after repeated 50-year iterative loops.

The only hole I could poke in the premise felt like nitpicking.

If the creatures don't need to eat because they're made of the Archetype, why do they still look like creatures we recognize? The change in evolutionary pressures would mean they'd lose much of the machinery for digesting external matter, and the drivers for mating, territory protection, and environment suitability would take center-stage.

Or... do they not procreate? Are they infertile immortals? Even then, wouldn't the adaptation mechanism Godzilla displayed still mean they were changing iteratively, until they were all the 5th dimensional equivalent of an apex-predator?
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:22 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Oh I fully agree, the solution to the crisis was never just "fire MUR tachyon beamZ!", even though Tachyons are actually relevant here. -o-;

Good one! -o-;

The only hole I could poke in the premise felt like nitpicking.

If the creatures don't need to eat because they're made of the Archetype, why do they still look like creatures we recognize? The change in evolutionary pressures would mean they'd lose much of the machinery for digesting external matter, and the drivers for mating, territory protection, and environment suitability would take center-stage.

Or... do they not procreate? Are they infertile immortals? Even then, wouldn't the adaptation mechanism Godzilla displayed still mean they were changing iteratively, until they were all the 5th dimensional equivalent of an apex-predator?

The Rodans already don't have much digestive machinery, the dialogue from the scientists dissecting them confirmed that. They also referred to the idea of ecological niches and I think they mentioned convergent evolution at one point as well.

But the rest of what you've asked, and the little details about how a completely alien, multi-dimensional ecosystem works or looks so much like our own, are all really good questions. By rights, archetype-based lifeform ought to be as weird as the weirdest of Evangelion's Angels.

Since the stinger shows Mechagodzilla being built and old Dr. Ashihara alive and well, I expect that we'll have another series with another Godzilla to deal with. Given the level of nerdery on display, I would be pretty disappointed if they didn't get into a Michael Crichton-level analysis of archetype-based biology!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:13 pm

Teknoman episodes 11-14

The battle becomes more personal due to the appearance of Saber, Blade's brother, and the issue of the 30 minute maximum limit on when Blade has total control of his capacities. Maybe Evangelion took some inspiration about the 1-5 minute energy cable from this show. Either way, by episode 14 the stress of battling Saber was so severe, Blade turned against his Space Knight allies and it took a resemblance of his sister Shara on the junior member Tina who socialized with him a bit earlier to bring him back to sanity. I especially loved it that Blade and Tina officially declared themselves friends which means he's starting to loosen up.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:32 pm

Latest Teknoman marathon of episodes 15 to 21 made me very happy because among other things like Blade suffering from Shinji Get In The Robot syndrome but not as whiny, Blade and Star have officially started playing the game of romance in which Star does things like wear perfume which everyone notices as an attempt to attract him. When Shara made it to Earth and transformed for the first time, I felt like a certain censor issue such as her nipples appearing on her naked breasts would have easily detected and censored by Saban Entertainment and Tatsunoko Productions, right?

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:30 am

Life Lessons with Uramichi Oniisan

In the grim darkness of 21st century children's educational programming, there is only cringe.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:11 pm

Watching Teknoman episode 23 was such a moving experience because not only does it finally establish the tragic backstory of Blade and his family but his relationship with Star evolves even more since his flashback is so touching she cries for him.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:21 am

New footage for the upcoming Bandai/Sunrise IP, Kyoukai Senki. Looks like the lovechild of Code Geass and Gundam IBO as far as the overall aesthetic and vibe of the world is concerned, to which I say inject it directly into my veins
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:30 pm

Started "Happy Sugar LIfe" last night after finishing off a ho-hum "Beatless" and I'm wondering what I've gotten myself into.
Some serious twisto stuff going on with these characters. I'm not sure who the voice of normalcy is supposed to be but I must
have missed it. Can't really say if its good or bad, I'm mostly stunned atm. Despite the lack of gore it makes "Higurashi"
look tame. Has an 18+ rating on Hulu

EvaBrothers
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaBrothers » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:44 pm

I'm watching Bloom Into You because a friend recommended it. I like it so far.
~ Luana Spinetti ~ [email protected] (Email)
Note: I'm no longer the author of the fanfiction "Eva Brothers from Cybertron". I passed authorship to a friend (Lia Dospetti) who's turning it into her own work, while still maintaining homages to NGE and Transformers, as well as Star Trek. I still draw the artworks, though, and I have some fragments of the old fanfic here.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:06 am

Doing the home alone thing through next week so power watched "Happy Sugar Life" and I'm speechless - found it very depressing (ah the irony considering the title). A bit off the beaten path for me is all I can say. Gonna have to lift myself up with a "Big O" re watch I think.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:46 am

I found Bloom into You OK, I guess - I watched it through, at least.

Happy Sugar Life, OTOH, I dropped after a couple of episodes.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:13 pm

Late thoughts on things that finished:

Battle Athletes: ReSTART! – Started badly, got worse, and surprisingly... ended terribly, too.
One noteworthy thing to take away from the show (besides the lesson never to revive dead franchises without a good reason or plan) would be its rare depiction of a heroic black character in an animay:

The good guys dress in blac hideous green, remember that.
They also fly around in Doc Brown’s DeLorean with Axel F playing on the radio.
Oh- and his name is Jeff.

Think I'll go rewatch the 90s originals. See if they still hold up.

Don’t Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro – Average. A lot of high-schooler sexual tension with the occasional half-chuckle, usually during the cold openings.
In the trilogy of the “girl teases boy” titles, Nagatoro earns a distant silver medal.
Teasing Master Takagi San >>>>> Nagatoro > Uzaki Chan wants to hang out

HigeHiro – Was fine. Drama peaked fairly early. Thankfully it didn’t go Usagi Drop. The kohai woman was an oddball, people don’t talk like that.

I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Word Count For This Stupid Light Novel Title – Harmless, forgettable fluff.
Another one of those blink and you’ll miss it Isekai shows, where instead of being a straight-forward fantasy about a witch living a quiet life, there simply had to be a 2-minute opening scene explaining that the main character has in fact been reincarnated from another world. Does it affect the plot or her decisions in any significant way? No, of course not.
The main character takes in a dragon, who transforms into a cute woman, who dresses in a maid outfit, and is moderately gay for her… amusing that this played the season before the latest Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid series started.
Biggest laugh occurred in episode 9, wherein the intelligent Slime who communicates by hitting printed characters on a wall, had to hit backspace mid-word, because they made a mistake.

I’m willing to bet this is the most anybody has ever typed about this show on the internet.

=======

Things currently showing:

Girlfriend, Girlfriend – Still a junkie, and I need to get my harem comedy fix from somewhere.

My Next Life as a Villainess, second season – I listed this as my “biggest missed opportunity of 2020” title. Here’s hoping that something interesting is actually done with the established characters this time. 5 Eps in and so far, so good.

Remake Our Life! – I enjoy time-hop stories like Erased, and so far this one looks like it won’t likely involve child abduction, which is a comfort.
First couple of episodes were a little disappointing in how they fell pray to lazy tropes like: the main character waking up next to a pretty young thing on his crotch… because she wandered in during the night… and sharing a futon with a complete stranger is a sensible thing to do for a defenceless young woman I suppose.
If I had a penny for every time that happened to me during my university days…

The Duck of Death and his Maid – This is the one I’m looking forward to the most each week, and I worry it’s flying under most people’s radars.
Rom-Com with a dash of tragedy. The Duke and his Maid are an adorable pair, but the Duke is cursed with the death-touch, and they cannot share any physical contact.
The maid decides to play an amusing and very dangerous game of teasing with him, leading to some sweet moments like a no touchy-touchy waltz, and heartbreaking moments like refusing a kiss under the starlit night.

The majority of the animation is CG. The two lead characters look pretty good and there are times one can even be fooled into thinking they’re traditionally animated. Some side characters however look like they need more work…

Looking forward to seeing a happy or tragic ending for this one.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:45 pm

From Spring season, Crunchyroll underwhelmed by getting exactly zero of the series I'd been looking forward to (though to be fair, I knew they wouldn't have Shadows House), so all I watched was OddTaxi, which was a pleasant surprise. Summer's whole list was underwhelming, so there wasn't that disappointment -- all I'm following for the moment is Aquatope, though even that's hanging by a thread.

For fluff, I finished the original Digimon Adventure and 02, while : continues to meander through it's last handful of episodes.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:22 pm

Now that I possess the Megazone 23 Blu Ray, I finally saw the Japanese, ADV English, and Streamline English versions of Part 1. No matter what version I watch it in doesn't change the fact that out of all the OVAs, it's my favorite.

As for the character designs, the Macross team in particular Haruhiko Mikimoto who personally designed Eve the idol always deliver the style that is easy on the eyes.

Return to “Anime and Manga”