GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
penguintruth
Lilith

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:49 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:This thing is definitely gonna be the 500 bucks edition. Neat for collectors with too much money, but I'll give this a pass, lol

The Dynit release is 129.99 €. Roughly $154. I’m hoping the GKids release is priced similarly.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:49 pm

*does a final check on the Hype Machine, making sure it's all primed and ready to go*

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:52 am

So, the Korean boxset in USD is 276.40, while the Italian boxset is 154. The boxsets are also pretty different so I'm guessing there isn't much co-ordination going on? I don't expect the US and UK releases to be very similar to either with how different the Korean and Italian sets are compared to one another - And they're also releasing the Korean set on September 30 with the Italian set is releasing nearly 2 months later on November 24, so I don't think there's a pattern to be made here so I don't think we can really predict anything for other releases.
wait waht

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:23 am

Gimme all the boxsets! They're so pretty!

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:54 am

Yes!! I actually quite like that they're different because now we get all sorts of cool new designs and stuff to look at instead of it all being the same :D
wait waht

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:22 pm

Damn it, I'm going to be bummed if the GKids release doesn't have the VSI/Netflix dub. But I guess the Japanese version will still be there.

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:37 pm

As mentioned before, it's not terribly surprising the various European releases don't include their respective Netflix dubs. I feel fairly certain at this point that Netflix owns the Eva dubs featured on their platform. This is no different than all the other Netflix licensed anime that have been released in Europe sub only because the home video distributor can't afford Netflix's asking price for the dubs they produced. What is good is that Khara is allowing these countries access to many of the previous dubs so that fans in those regions can enjoy versions in their native tongue, especially those that are already fans of those versions.

As I mentioned previously, that cost should not be an issue for a company like GKids (don't know about Anime Limited), so there is still hope for fans of the English VSI dub. I personally still want both dubs on the set to appeal to as much of the English language community as possible, and if the English ADV/Manga dubs aren't on it I'll probably forgo it entirely. I'm hopeful that the German ADV dub means that Khara would allow the use of the English version by the same company, though that doesn't really account for the movies (I've actually heard the opposite - that the German dubs of the movies were done by the company Panini through a sub license from Manga which might imply that Khara isn't allowing the Manga dubs to be included).

There's a lot of guesswork and speculation here. I don't believe it's stated whether Fly Me to the Moon will be on the German set. We'll just have to wait and see.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:03 pm

If the original licence for FMTTM was not wordwide, will Khara now need to negotiate to allow even the Japanese dub to include it wordwide? Or I guess maybe they already did for the Netflix release.

But if Khara weren't prepared to pay for it for all the different Netflix dubs, and nor were Netflix, it might still be that each of the individual foreign dubs would cost that bit less so that the licensees might better be able to afford it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:15 pm

Correct, the issue with Fly Me to the Moon extends to the Japanese version as well, which is why the Japanese language track on Netflix excludes it outside of Japan. Either Khara or one of their international licensors would have to negotiate with Bart Howard's estate for its inclusion, which given the Netflix release and the Korean set that likely means it is probably on the international licensors if Khara allows them to attempt to negotiate the rights at all.

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:51 pm

View Original PostGentlemanX wrote:I feel fairly certain at this point that Netflix owns the Eva dubs featured on their platform.

Yeah, Netflix definitely owns and has their dubs exclusive to their platform. I imagine the only way we'll get a home video release of the Netflix dub is if Netflix releases it themselves - which is unlikely. Granted, some shows can make it to home video (The Crown, The Haunting of Bly Manor), but I don't really remember hearing about Evangelion being particularly successful. In fact, I remember going on Netflix and not seeing it *anywhere*, I had to actually search for it because it wasn't showing up in any categories, not even on the recently added page. If it wasn't a success on Netflix then I doubt Netflix will have much interest in doing a home video release themselves.

Also, I was wondering, why do y'all think Death and EOE have no dubs? Are the German dubs especially bad for them?
wait waht

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:42 pm

Okay, but… something’s gonna have to be done about the Manga Ent. EoE dub, right? Like, Khara doesn’t seem like the type of company to approve the added splat sound effects or the inaccurate translations revolving around Misato’s info dump scene.

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:04 pm

Removing the added sound effects should be easy - in fact fans have done it themselves already. It's not like they occur over dialogue. The line from Misato would simply involve Allison Keith doing a quick pick up line, and it's also worth noting that Kanemitsu's initial subs for Netflix also had the Adam/Lilith error - though it was correct in the dub.

And Leonine Anime have posted a couple of more details on their facebook page. Notably, the dubs for Death and EoE aren't included because it's unclear who owns the original dubs to those films - so it's not that Khara is expressly forbidding them, and Fly Me to the Moon will not be included (which the comment actually seems to imply Khara directly forbade them from using it, at least going by the auto-translations on Facebook and entering it into Google translate - a native speaking confirming that would be appreciated).

Again, English release could be different, but this would be the first time a licensor has directly stated Khara forbade the use of Fly Me to the Moon rather than it being assumed to simply be too expensive.

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:35 am

Korean release date: September 30
Italian release date: November 24
German release date: December 30

I think these blu rays are all just coming out sporadically at this point. We've no pattern here so there's not really any way of predicting what's going on for other countries.

Korean retail price (USD): $276.40
Italian retail price (USD): $154
German retail price (USD): $237.86

What is up with this lack of co-ordination? My guess is this (And I'm not super knowledgeable of stuff here, this is just a random guess I've made with not much evidence at all): Khara, outside of giving the rights off to the international distributors, has not got a lot to do with the production of these blu rays. The fact that every blu ray we've seen has looked completely different to the next leads me to believe that it's the international distributors who are deciding on what goes on with the blu rays. Why would Khara decide to have them all looking completely different, and having super different prices? Here's a preview of the Korean blu ray:
Korean box set images  SPOILER: Show

And the Italian blu ray:
SPOILER: Show

As you can see, the boxing and stuff is completely different. I don't think Khara has much to do with how these are made, except for giving permissions. My guess is everything else is decided by the international distributors.
wait waht

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:03 am

I hope the GKids release is under $300. I love Evangelion, but no matter what kind of extras, $300 for 26 episodes is too much.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:05 am

GKids is going to make an announcement about their boxset soon!

https://store.gkids.com/pages/neon-genesis-evangelion?utm_source=gkids&utm_medium=vanity&utm_campaign=gkidseva&utm_id=NGE

Either they're piggybacking off the release of the Rebuilds on Amazon OR they'll have another announcement to make!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:29 am

aaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:57 am

Please, oh PLEASE, be affordable, and maybe include both English dubs.

I made the mistake of going to Disney World this month, so my wallet is screaming.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:14 pm

Hot take: I don't think the GKids/All the Anime release is going to have the ADV or Netflix Dub.

I think the series was re-dubbed a third time using the Amazon Prime Rebuild cast.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:15 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Hot take: I don't think the GKids/All the Anime release is going to have the ADV or Netflix Dub.

I think the series was re-dubbed a third time using the Amazon Prime Rebuild cast.

That would upset me. I much prefer Casey Mongillo's Shinji.

But whatever, it'll still have the Japanese version.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”