Q's original story/stage greeting with Anno [split]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Re: Q's original story/stage greeting with Anno [split]

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:48 am

These tweets are written so fragmentedly that I can't imagine translating them appropriately without wasting an entire afternoon. I'll give you the cliffsnotes:

• The actors would get their scripts the night before dubbing without any visuals, just black words on a white page. Anno said, "I wanted a performance unrestrained by visual aids."
  • Ogata describes the work as "being able to go back to being 14 years old whenever you want".
  • Anno says, "I don't have any more scenes I'd like to add. I've spent half my life working toward this film, and it's filled with all the emotion I've poured into it."
  • Ogata loved Rei's dialogue in the elevator scene between her and Asuka. Anno wanted to make a cut longer than anything in Hayao Miyazaki's Future Boy Conan series (he calls Miyazaki "Miya" as a nickname).
  • Mitsuishi asks if the camera lingering on the dresser in the scene between Misato and Kaji was an edit they were made to make. Anno responds that he told the TV station it was a massage scene. Mitsuishi had never heard this before and exploded in laughter.
  • Ogata jokes she must be the first female VA to voice a male character masturbating, referencing the opening of EoE. Anno says, "The scene was too short. We needed to make it longer to be realistic." Fumihiko Tachiki was on set that day and commented to Ogata, "Good job, Shinji."
  • Tachiki asks Anno what happened during the missing 14 years, saying he's asking because he won't get the chance again. Anno says there was a plan for Q that would have followed the events shown in the preview for Q at the end of Ha and been a movie without Shinji. Gendo and Fuyutsuki are overthrown and Kaworu and Kaji assume command of NERV.
  • Anno says, "In an industry where numbers are everything, being able to make a robot anime that made 10 billion makes it a possibility for all robot anime that come after to do the same."

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:01 am

View Original Posthirnkrieg wrote:By the way the stage greeting is also available on the Eva extra app:

https://twitter.com/evangelion_co/statu ... 2604147715

I have seen the video. I hope we could see this with sub someday.

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:These tweets are written so fragmentedly that I can't imagine translating them appropriately without wasting an entire afternoon. I'll give you the cliffsnotes:

Thank you very much.

Lickitung
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lickitung » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:07 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:
View Original PostUrsusArctos#926495 wrote:I forgot that Kaworu was in a blue uniform when we saw him in the 3.0 trailer at the end of 2.0, and now I realize that he was wearing the Nerv commander uniform

Yeah! I was about to point that out! Look at his clothes. Familiar, huh?

SPOILER: Show

His hair is wet, i always wondered why....

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:32 pm

Thank you for the translation, Nuke-kun! :D

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:
  • Tachiki asks Anno what happened during the missing 14 years, saying he's asking because he won't get the chance again. Anno says there was a plan for Q that would have followed the events shown in the preview for Q at the end of Ha and been a movie without Shinji. Gendo and Fuyutsuki are overthrown and Kaworu and Kaji assume command of NERV.

Is there an indication that Anno intended to cover the events of the entire timeskip (or at least the most important bits), or just the events up to Third Impact?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:43 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Is there an indication that Anno intended to cover the events of the entire timeskip (or at least the most important bits), or just the events up to Third Impact?

I don't think Anno has said more details about his original plan for Q movie.

That said, I think it would make sense that the original Q movie cover the events up to Third Impact (it could end with the Third Impact being stopped, but the Earth turn to core).

That way, the audience would still share Shinji's surprise when he wakes up after the 14 years timeskip in the next movie.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:10 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:I don't think Anno has said more details about his original plan for Q movie.

That said, I think it would make sense that the original Q movie cover the events up to Third Impact (it could end with the Third Impact being stopped, but the Earth turn to core).

That way, the audience would still share Shinji's surprise when he wakes up after the 14 years timeskip in the next movie.

Yeah, the timeskip could had been the last surprise of the franchise, with Q either ending at Third Impact, soon after to see the first steps of WILLE under Misato's leadership, or maybe even throwing a last fastball with the last scene being the one from the prequel manga with Asuka and Mari, with just omitting to precise how much time has passed since Shinji's disappearance (and maybe about the stopped aged thing to not tip us off), so we would think that it take places a few months tops after Third Impact, and then have the last movie revealing that Q's last scene was 14 years later. :tongue:
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

hirnkrieg
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby hirnkrieg » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:44 am

Did someone rip the Stage greeting from the app?
Was thinking about subbing it since it seems to have some new info.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:31 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Is there an indication that Anno intended to cover the events of the entire timeskip (or at least the most important bits), or just the events up to Third Impact?

I'm not sure. It doesn't show up in any materials I've seen. This doesn't mean they aren't out there, but nobody's posted anything to that effect that I've been able to get my hands on to translate.

wiser3754
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby wiser3754 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:27 pm

Is there any message or statement about the culpability of the 'red earth'? This damned event committed either at the behest of Shinji and Unit 01 or the Mark.06/12th Angel/Lilith combo is still doing my head in.
I watch and speculate.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:10 am

View Original Postwiser3754 wrote:Is there any message or statement about the culpability of the 'red earth'? This damned event committed either at the behest of Shinji and Unit 01 or the Mark.06/12th Angel/Lilith combo is still doing my head in.

It doesn't seem Anno gives details about the plans for Q's original story. There was a Japanese twitter user who says Gendo started the Third Impact, but I suspect it was just a personal theory.

I guess the explanation in Q that the Near Third Impact was the trigger for the Third Impact (although we don't know how this works) means the N3I was necessary for the 3I in the timeskip. That's why Shinji would be blamed.

A problem is Anno doesn't make the Q's original movie (since he doesn't want to make a movie without Shinji), but he still decided to work the post-timeskip story with the events that should have happened in that movie. So, we just have vague explanations, since the events between N3I and 3I should have been a whole movie.

Anno could have simplified events to achieve the goal he wanted in Q (make Shinji guilty for the Red Earth), but he did not want to discard the ideas in Q's original movie.
Last edited by Konja7 on Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:19 am

^
You could had shortened your answer to a simple "Nope". ^_^

wiser3754
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby wiser3754 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:36 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:^
You could had shortened your answer to a simple "Nope". ^_^

This damned gap of highly pertinent information about which event caused the earth to be transformed to core is beyond irritation.

N3I blew the roof open? Fine. 3I caused a successive calamity which then transformed the earth core? Okay. That's it. That's all I need to know. Done and dusted.
I watch and speculate.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:19 pm

View Original Postwiser3754 wrote:This damned gap of highly pertinent information about which event caused the earth to be transformed to core is beyond irritation.

N3I blew the roof open? Fine. 3I caused a successive calamity which then transformed the earth core? Okay. That's it. That's all I need to know. Done and dusted.

Oh on that we do have an answer: the actual Third Impact (that we shorten to A3I) which happened several weeks or months after N3I is the one which turned the world to core, we know that because we have a brief (and by brief I mean a few seconds long) flashback with Misato, Ritsuko and Kaji during this event, and Misato didn't had the sling around her arm anymore (and by then was pregnant with Kaji's child), and the fact that none of them were wearing any hazmat suits meant that the place wasn't turned to core yet.

Except that they then decided that it was Shinji's fault, despite the event happened weeks/months later and obviously done by completely different actors (with the ritual having all the trappings of a SEELE ritual), without any explanation. The closest to an explanation we have is Kaworu's cryptic words in Q about N3I being the trigger of A3I (despite such a thing working the complete opposite of every other Impacts seen in the franchise, none of them having needed a "warm-up Impact" and N3I never having been part of SEELE's plans in the first place), and when Shinji raised the objection that he had no part in this, that "humanity thinks otherwise", which obviously means that all has been said and that him objecting to the matters is him being a brat for not stoically taking the blame placed on him without protesting, trying to understand or to defend himself, because that means escaping from his responsibilities of punishment in perpetuity. :rolleyes:

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:47 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Except that they then decided that it was Shinji's fault, despite the event happened weeks/months later and obviously done by completely different actors (with the ritual having all the trappings of a SEELE ritual), without any explanation. The closest to an explanation we have is Kaworu's cryptic words in Q about N3I being the trigger of A3I (despite such a thing working the complete opposite of every other Impacts seen in the franchise, none of them having needed a "warm-up Impact" and N3I never having been part of SEELE's plans in the first place), and when Shinji raised the objection that he had no part in this, that "humanity thinks otherwise", which obviously means that all has been said and that him objecting to the matters is him being a brat for not stoically taking the blame placed on him without protesting, trying to understand or to defend himself, because that means escaping from his responsibilities of punishment in perpetuity. :rolleyes:

I will mantain my theory that SEELE's original plan for the Third Impact was ruined by Kaworu and Kaji. So, Gendo or SEELE used the Near Third Impact to start the Third Impact (someway).

Now that we know the events between N3I and 3I were originally going to be used in a movie, it is very likely that there were many twists and turns between these two events.

It's frustrating Anno doesn't want to make the movie without Shinji, but he wouldn't simplify the events to the audience either.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:31 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:I will mantain my theory that SEELE's original plan for the Third Impact was ruined by Kaworu and Kaji. So, Gendo or SEELE used the Near Third Impact to start the Third Impact (someway).

Now that we know the events between N3I and 3I were originally going to be used in a movie, it is very likely that there were many twists and turns between these two events.

It's frustrating Anno doesn't want to make the movie without Shinji, but he wouldn't simplify the events to the audience either.

Gonna be honest, that sounds more like humanity covered their fuck-up by blaming the dead guy rather than genuine fault from Shinji: "we thwarted SEELE's initial plan to trigger Third Impact but they blindsided us by using the Eva that was awakened months ago by the now dead pilot that they manipulated into doing it (or "restarting the Impact", whatever happened), so obviously it's that dead kid's fault for doing something he wasn't even aware was happening or could happen, and not us for failing to see it coming!"
It helps that the two people at the head of this sabotage (Kaji and Kaworu) are respectively dead and (officially) part of the enemy (I mean, if humanity is even aware of his existence, since no one mention him ever) and thus can't come to his defense.

And this already ridiculous situation gets even more hilarious when WILLE, the protectors of humanity, consistently fuck-up by advancing SEELE and/or Gendo's plans everytime they take action, and in the end it's the "god of disease" that save their ass and did in 20 minutes what they failed to do during 14 years, while still recovering from a complete mental breakdown.

So maybe there's a good reason in this never revealed movie in Anno's mind that links both impacts and makes Shinji's "sin" understandable, but since Anno refuses to elaborate and we have to make due with what we see in the movies, for me it looks like a bunch of assholes who shirked their responsibility by scapegoating the dead guy and who still evaded it when said dead guy turned out alive, which is pretty ironic when the story wants to push a theme of accepting you responsibility and the consequences of your actions through said dead guy.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:45 pm

^^^This.

It's a post-apocalyptic wasteland, people will be weak. And it's safe to blame a (presumed) dead guy who can't argue back, instead of each other.

Honestly I don't really think it makes sense to argue that Anno even wants to "make" it Shinji fault, not with how the full thing went.

There is enough of a cause & effect relation that desperate filthy hungry people would realistically throw around blame, or that Shinji himself would be tormented by guilt (he already has a huge tendency for self-blame to begin with - in that sense, it was just interesting writing wise to just go ahead and throw him into the scenario that he always feared the most)
People still feel guilt, & still get hate, if it's an accident. The story here is really in dealing with the worst-case scenario than in how exactly it came about (indeed, having it be unintentional & hence unforeseen contributes a lot to the feeling of helplessness and incompetence) - In Q he was still half in denial and desperate to not have this be the new reality that he acted hasty and made an impulsive decision, & then he completely gives up for a while; In the end, he sees that there are still things left worth protecting even in the new, changed world.

His goal doesn't really change. It's just that in 2.0 he was hampered by ignorance, and in Q by impulsivity but - he does the thing successfully in the end.

Perhaps ppl felt that he was absent when they needed him - they were so used to him bumbling his way to victory in the nick of time, things went to crap after he disappeared.

I always saw it more as a story of "after years of keeping your expectations low & half assign things, you really try for once, but it goes wrong, how do you emotionally deal with setbacks" or "How do I deal with change?" than this common postulation where Shinji committed some fatal sin that was causal to everything going wrong.
In the final film, loads of sympathetic ppl come to his defense, Misato basically apologizes & says he did the best that was possible under the circumstances only did what the adults in his life told him to, and there's no point where he's like, "Ah I see, this is why I should never have done this" regarding the circumstances that led to NTI; heck, the coreified people are saved and Rei turns up alive.

Instead, the 'I was so wrong about X' speeches he gets are about the Bardiel incident. (He concludes that he should have made some decision regarding Asuka, & he should have tried to confront Gendo & ask him what he's doing instead of leaving) and even that is framed more as a matter of being younger and dumber at the time, as most people are in the beginning. Mari doesn't say "Ah you stopped being a selfish prick" but "you seem more mature now"
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:58 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:In the final film, loads of sympathetic ppl come to his defense, Misato basically apologizes & says he did the best that was possible under the circumstances only did what the adults in his life told him to, and there's no point where he's like, "Ah I see, this is why I should never have done this" regarding the circumstances that led to NTI; heck, the coreified people are saved and Rei turns up alive.

I don't think the movie really tries to free Shinji from all the blame.

Misato tries to take responsability since Shinji was her subordinate, but I feel the story really treats Shinji's actions in Ha as something pretty bad and "selfish". Remember that Shinji knows in Ha that his actions were dangerous for the World.

Also, the people who died directly by the NTI doesn't seem to return.

PS: Rei wasn't exactly alive, since she was a soul inside Eva-01. That said, Rei couldn't get a new life at the end of Shin without Shinji's actions in Ha.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:38 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Remember that Shinji knows in Ha that his actions were dangerous for the World.

I interpret that line differently from many people; there's an explanation of my view of it in my fic (see signature) in Shinji's voice, when Misato is cross-examining Shinji about that time.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:00 pm

Konja7 wrote:I don't think the movie really tries to free Shinji from all the blame

This is what I think as well.
Like it or not, the NTI and the ATI are somewhat connected. The events of "OG Q" only took place because of what happened at the end of HA. From Kaworu's words, it's possible to assume that one was used as a trigger to initiate the other. Ultimately, NTI was also portrayed as a horrible event in its own right. Kensuke explicitly talked about how hard was life after it. The entire world was thrown into chaos that day and many likely died.
Shinji was partially responsible for all of this. Sure, some might argue that he was just a pawn in the game. "Gendo and Seele would still find a way to trigger Third Impact, even without Shinji." Well, no one is saying they aren't to blame. Wille is simply not ignoring Shinji's involvement in what happened. They had plenty of reasons to keep an eye on him. Honestly, it's a miracle he was left alive. If Shinji was not known to the captain and a major, he would likely have been sacrificed.
From my point of view, the movie doesn't try to free Shinji of all the culprits. Instead, it shows how willing people are to forgive him, despite what happened. Let's not forget that Shinji was never portrayed as a perfect guy by nature. I mean, he is fundamentally flawed. Still, he has plenty of qualities and is loved by his friends (including Asuka and Misato). You shouldn't just live by your mistakes, but you can't ignore them either. This is it, in my opinion.

ElMariachi wrote:in the end it's the "god of disease" that save their ass and did in 20 minutes what they failed to do during 14 years

Well, it's an anime. NTE was never as unique as NGE. Most of the mundane elements, philosophical themes and introspection are gone. The action takes center stage and we see things like "rage boosts", for example. That's not to say it's unoriginal or "bad". In fact, NTE manages to subvert its audience's expectations in some instances! It's just not the same thing as before. Of course the protagonist would end up saving the world.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:45 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Shinji was partially responsible for all of this. Sure, some might argue that he was just a pawn in the game. "Gendo and Seele would still find a way to trigger Third Impact, even without Shinji." Well, no one is saying they aren't to blame. Wille is simply not ignoring Shinji's involvement in what happened.

Well, in my theory, Gendo and SEELE couldn't start the Third Impact without the N3I.

That said, you're right that no one is saying Gendo and SEELE aren't to blame. It's just that Shinji is also blamed for his involvement in the events.
Last edited by Konja7 on Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”