Name suggestions for unnamed angels

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Asugran233
Lilith

Name suggestions for unnamed angels

Postby Asugran233 » Thu May 27, 2021 8:53 am

Do you know what would happen if in Rebuilds the creators called Angels? As they rose not to name them, and in 2.0 there were two new angels, I rose to put my suggestions of names for these angels here, maybe I will like them.

The Third Angel-Gabriel
The Seventh Angel-???

And you share your suggestions.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Name suggestions for unnamed angels

Postby Blockio » Thu May 27, 2021 6:28 pm

All the angels in Rebuild are unnamed; however the colloquial name for 3rd and 7th are "Tunniel" and "Clockiel" respectively. The 12th doesn't really have a generally accepted name, but "Wombiel" is probably the closest to it
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

Postby bobgoesw00t » Fri May 28, 2021 7:01 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:All the angels in Rebuild are unnamed; however the colloquial name for 3rd and 7th are "Tunniel" and "Clockiel" respectively. The 12th doesn't really have a generally accepted name, but "Wombiel" is probably the closest to it

I love "Clockiel" and "Wombiel" with a passion due to how accurate and hilarious they are. I personally think "Rexiel" is a better name for the Third Angel do to it looking like a freaky skeletal T-Rex or something like that xD
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Blockio » Fri May 28, 2021 7:11 pm

If we're talking about "serious" name suggestions, I'd go with Lucifer for the third, what with all the snake imagery, but beyond that I don't really have any strong feelings, I call them by their numbers anyway
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

ProcopiousJones
Embryo

Postby ProcopiousJones » Sun May 30, 2021 1:20 am

Odds are, we might never know the names for the NTE counterparts of the NGE angels; we might have to settle for calling them by their number. However, we still have one more movie to go, and it could give insight as to what their names are; knowing their true names before seeing 3.0+1.0 could be major spoilers for it, as well as NTE as a whole.

As for angel names, I would have Samael (Venom/Poison of God) as a name for an angel; However, in EoE after Unit-01 leaves GNR and ascends to the heavens, she grows six pairs of AT-Field wings, visually and thematically mimicking that of Samael.
What is Shin but just a bone in our bodies.

It might have broken a few times...

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun May 30, 2021 9:11 pm

View Original PostProcopiousJones wrote:As for angel names, I would have Samael (Venom/Poison of God) as a name for an angel; However, in EoE after Unit-01 leaves GNR and ascends to the heavens, she grows six pairs of AT-Field wings, visually and thematically mimicking that of Samael.

Samael is the Angel seen right at the start of A Cruel Angel's Thesis, and Eva-01 grows six pairs of A.T. Field wings during the same opening sequence. Forget EoE, Eva-01 has been visually linked to Samael from the very beginning, and EoE simply delivers on the imagery shown at the start of every single freakin' episode by showing Eva-01 as Samael.

"Masa ni akuma ka?" as the horrified JSSDF guy asks in EoE - the answer is a resounding yes - Eva-01 has become the original fallen Angel, the most powerful of them all, the Angel of Death. (Reichu covered all the Samael stuff in the commentary track for the OP and other such stuff ages ago and would do a better job of elucidating this than I ever could.)

I don't know if we'll ever get names for the new Angels, or if they'll remain as numbers. I guess we'll have to wait and see what Anno decides to come up with.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Asugran233
Lilith

Postby Asugran233 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:24 pm

View Original Postbobgoesw00t wrote:
View Original PostBlockio#923680 wrote:All the angels in Rebuild are unnamed; however the colloquial name for 3rd and 7th are "Tunniel" and "Clockiel" respectively. The 12th doesn't really have a generally accepted name, but "Wombiel" is probably the closest to it

I love "Clockiel" and "Wombiel" with a passion due to how accurate and hilarious they are. I personally think "Rexiel" is a better name for the Third Angel do to it looking like a freaky skeletal T-Rex or something like that xD

Rexiel? Hmmmmm...sound like...good and interesing.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

Postby Archer » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:04 am

IMO, they don’t really need names. In-universe, I’m pretty sure the names (hell, even the “Angel” moniker) are just arbitrary code-names given by Seele which may or may not have some passing biblical references because they’re a bunch of nerds. Given that Seele in the Rebuilds are a bunch of actual ancient aliens instead of some Bible nerds in a Zoom call, they likely just didn’t feel the need to apply human religious metaphors to them.

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

Postby bobgoesw00t » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:14 pm

View Original PostArcher wrote:IGiven that Seele in the Rebuilds are a bunch of actual ancient aliens instead of some Bible nerds in a Zoom call, they likely just didn’t feel the need to apply human religious metaphors to them.

Just when I think I can't find anything funnier, you mention how Seele is a bunch of Bible nerds in a Zoom call in the original and it's taking everything I have to not burst out in laughter. Also, as I'm typing this I'm randomly thinking of this old cheesy show I watched as a kid called "Bibleman" (good god, I don't know if I could watch that now without channeling MST3K) and how I'm getting MASSIVE Deja vu as I'm typing this. Maybe a version of me in an alternate universe has already typed this and I've somehow seen it in my dreams..... *Twilight Zone theme music begins*
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

Postby The Dragon Mask » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:49 pm

View Original PostArcher wrote:...

Why did you spoil this... :facepalm: I was so close..

(FYI don't read the post I'm quoting if you haven't already)

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:51 pm

^^^ I mean, this was shown and heavily implied -if not confirmed- in Gendo's 3.0 dialogue, so it doesn't fall into 3.0+1.0's spoiler territory.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

Postby The Dragon Mask » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:43 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:^^^ I mean, this was shown and heavily implied -if not confirmed- in Gendo's 3.0 dialogue, so it doesn't fall into 3.0+1.0's spoiler territory.

Implied I'll grant you. Though it was not made clear. Reichu's theories were the first time I considered the concept.

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:20 am

Like GhostlyOcam said, it's from 3.0, and you'd have to follow Reichu's theory and screencaps if you want to see Seele's non-human forms. Whatever 3.0 + 1.0 reveals about Seele, this particular point was covered well prior to the movie's release. (Which makes it a total non-spoiler)

@TheDragonMask: If you think you see someone spoil something, contact the staff and DON'T draw attention it - see point 1h in the spoiler policy here. You're not in trouble because Archer spoiled nothing in that post.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

Postby The Dragon Mask » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:35 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:.

Sorry, I forgot about that part of the policy.

I thought of the possibility that posting in the thread might draw attention to it so that's why I've never said what it was/is and didn't show any text of the post I quoted. Plus I didn't want to try to involve the staff if I was mistaken or something.

In any case I disagree somewhat with what is considered confirmed from 3.0 but that's that, moving on.

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:21 am

Unless you have counter-evidence for Reichu's screencaps, your disagreement holds no weight. There's a reason why we have new rules for discussion - to prevent people from disagreeing on the basis of personal sentiments and to actually deal with the evidence presented within the show. And the evidence presented clearly shows Seele as something nonhuman (maybe not literally "ancient aliens" but very much in the same ballpark). Unless evidence to the contrary is presented, consider that confirmed and rock-solid.

View Original PostThe Dragon Mask wrote:I thought of the possibility that posting in the thread might draw attention to it so that's why I've never said what it was/is and didn't show any text of the post I quoted. Plus I didn't want to try to involve the staff if I was mistaken or something.

I'm afraid I really don't follow what you intended to achieve.

You did so in a way that drew attention to the thread - which is in the open for everyone to see - rather than using the report function or privately messaging an active member of the staff. We are here to deal with precisely such situations and do so quietly without spoiling others. This thread had dropped fairly far down and would not be seen by most posters, and none of them would have noticed Archer's post. Even if you didn't quote any text from it, the quote marks indicated you were responding to his post. Had it been a spoiler, your entire line of action would have made it worse instead of better and you might have landed up being punished along with Archer.

Unfortunately, since there remains no further purpose to this thread, I will let it be locked until the time comes for another discussion on the topic of Angel names for the NTE/Rebuild movies.

Let this be a reminder to everyone seeing this thread - if you see what you think is a spoiler, please contact the staff using the "Report" function. Calling it out yourself just makes it worse.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”