Your favorite scene in Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Your favorite scene in Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:51 pm

I can't believe I never replied to this thread.

It has to be the "Kiss scene" from Episode 15.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:04 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:I can't believe I never replied to this thread.

It has to be the "Kiss scene" from Episode 15.

I love you and your poasts.

Shinji05
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Shinji05 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:35 pm

My favorite scene is in Evangelion 2.22, when Mari activated the "Beast Mode". It was amazing... :kaworu_thumbsup:

Also my favorite quote was:
Nothing ventured, nothing gained

That was my favorite scene
My ImgBB Collection Profile: https://shinji-05.imgbb.com/

Floater
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Floater » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:05 am

That scene when Eva 01 and 02 were in perfect choreography because of the music and also because of the visuals.
Girls always say things like "Ugh, your such a joke"
But then I question.... WHY ARENT YOU LAUGHING?

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:07 pm

How could I pick just one...

Episode 9's final sequence where Shinji and Asuka act in synchronization is one of my favorite moments of editing in a show filled with incredible editing.

Episode 11's final scene where the three pilots converse under the stars is quietly one of the most intensely emotional moments in the series for me. A small moment where everything is okay, in a story where nothing ever is. There's as much joy in seeing these traumatized children genuinely connecting as there is melancholy in knowing what's in store for them. It's a scene that hits me harder on each rewatch.

Every scene in Episode 15 is impeccable, but the one where Asuka and Shinji kiss holds a special place in my heart. Like most of the best scenes in the series, it balances different emotions very well; seeing these two idiots attempt and fail to connect with each other is as funny as it is heartbreaking. The whole thing is just overflowing with subtext and little nuances. It's pretty wild how it can feel like little more than expendable comic relief on first watch, while secretly being one of the most pivotal scenes in the entire show.

The sequence in Episode 21 where Naoko strangles Rei is so viscerally horrific that it damn near leaves me speechless every single time. Skin crawling.

I'm very fond of the scene in Episode 22 where Asuka absent-mindedly opens up to Shinji about her family before suddenly exploding at him. Why the hell am I telling you all this?! I don't know, Asuka, why are you? Shinji's instant response being to apologize is just too good. The elevator scene later on is similarly brilliant, Asuka getting furious at Rei for saying that she'd kill herself if ordered is wonderfully layered writing.

Every single scene in The End of Evangelion is on a level of quality similar to or higher than all the ones I've mentioned so far. It feels like cheating to include Third Impact as one scene when it's half the length of an NGE episode, but it's quite literally the most mind-expanding thing I've seen from any filmmaker. The most meaningful scene in the series, though, is probably the final one. It's like an encapsulation of everything that Evangelion is; the thesis statement of the entire series.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Rebuild of Evangelion. 2.0's Bardiel scene is a big improvement on one that was already incredible in NGE. The sheer horror of the scenario is really accentuated by the dissonant children's music, as well as seeing the Dummy Plug lock Shinji in place and obscure his vision. I've seen some people say that it makes the scene less scary, but that further lack of control just adds another layer of terror for me. Near-Third Impact is obviously a wonderful close to the film as well.

3.0 is another Evangelion film where nearly every scene is worthy of mention on a list like this, but gay piano, the game of shogi between Fuyutsuki and Shinji and the meltdown that follows are particularly incredible to me.

I have no doubts that a scene or two will be added to my personal list of favorites after I've seen Shin.

Man, Evangelion is a pretty good series...

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:48 pm

Ah yes, the shogi scene, or rather the clever details about it.

There are a pawn and a knight (? - but certainly a pawn) on the board on the same place where the piano is in the floor's grid pattern.

Also the "You will lose in 31 turns" and how Kaworu goes splat exactly 31 minutes later.

Also when they do some variant of jenga with the shogi pieces cause Shinji cant do strategy games, & he's all trembly because of the shocking revelations so he makes the whole tower collapse.

its such a good metaphor for the precise specific way in which they are fucked.

This time they know about the conspiracy, decide to fight it and STILL they run headlong into the trap. And they really BOTH fall into it, Shinji when he grabbed the spears solo, and Kaworu when he risked bringing Shinji down there in the first place - Kaworu isn't just saying "It was my fault, I'm sorry I couldn't give you what I promised, I am the trigger" to make him feel better, I think each of them felt responsible in his own way. Yeah, Kaworu was the one to try & do something about it, but in the end it was futile, and it was Mari who stopped the impact.

That's probably the evilest part, 'cause, at least series Kaworu' sacrifice was sucessful, & it seemed more or less inevitable that ONE of the two had to die. In Q though, Shinji got him killed because he made the wrong call. it was said nowhere that anyone HAD to kick the bucket.

That's just all so deliciously evil, especially since in the OG Shinji never found out & Kaworu didn't come to a decision to defy his fate until the very end.

It's kind of "Shinji pries off Bardiel's arms but it just stone cold grows an extra pair", but on a cosmic scale.

Guess he should've listened Fuyutsuki about the "keeping a cool head" part, but he's borderline physically incapable of that....
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Slowpokeking
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Slowpokeking » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:56 pm

Misato's last stare to Shinji before the gate was closed.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:26 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Also the "You will lose in 31 turns" and how Kaworu goes splat exactly 31 minutes later.

Hah, I didn't even know this. Thanks. It's also just a great scene for that interaction between Fuyutsuki and Shinji, the dramatic music, the crazy visuals. Also has one of my favorite lines in NTE.

Destroying the world is only too easy. Rebuilding it, however, is not so simple.
Like time, the world lacks reversibility. As does the human heart.

View Original PostSlowpokeking wrote:Misato's last stare to Shinji before the gate was closed.

Great choice! Episode 4 is one of the more underrated episodes, I feel. I've always considered it among the best in the series.

Xenoblade
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xenoblade » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:59 pm

The training montage set to Peaceful Times in episode 9, as Asuka and Shinji grow to be more in sync.
Don't be.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:13 pm

View Original PostXenoblade wrote:The training montage set to Peaceful Times in episode 9, as Asuka and Shinji grow to be more in sync.

Is that the only time Peaceful Times is heard in the show, excluding the Next Episode Previews? I can't remember. :rei_question:

Xenoblade
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xenoblade » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:40 pm

View Original Postbaldur wrote:
View Original PostXenoblade#916056 wrote:The training montage set to Peaceful Times in episode 9, as Asuka and Shinji grow to be more in sync.

Is that the only time Peaceful Times is heard in the show, excluding the Next Episode Previews? I can't remember. :rei_question:

I think you may be correct!
Don't be.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:21 pm

As cliche' as it may be....Asuka's last stand in EOE......In my head I only hear "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana playing as she punks them all......but alas for
a horseshoe nail (or a power plug)
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:51 pm

View Original PostEvaChero wrote:but alas for
a horseshoe nail (or a power plug)

We were afforded exactly one (1) instance of lucky timing in episode 3 and from that point on the power always made a point of going out at the worst possible moment.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Line
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Line » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:09 pm

Whenever Shinji is happy and come to peace with himself and reality.
Ban me forever.

FransHalation
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby FransHalation » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:02 pm

Asuka vs the MP Evas. The animation is spectacular and it's nice to see her actually kick ass for once.

MissDeamy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MissDeamy » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:02 am

This is going to be an obvious answer but it's whenever Shinji is happy
Just seeing that boy happy makes me smile like a dumb idiot

I wanted to say any scene that had Shinji in it as a joke but it wasn't really funny.
But yeah whenever Shinji is happy I just smile.

OH OH OH!! And the synchronized battle with the Angel! The song that played while Asuka and Shinji are fighting is *mwah* Chefs Kiss.
It's still my favorite battles!
Rare Shinji Ikari Fan

Please do not repost my art anywhere without my permission

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”