Hi, everyone. I'm here to announce that we are working on a new set of rules for the discussion subfora. Unfortunately, some users have constantly been violating the site's principle (Enjoy Evangelion and let others enjoy Evangelion) and the Zeroth Rule (Don't be a Jerk). Their poor argumentative strategies have caused good discussions to be pushed aside and some people have expressed feelings of being unhappy or unwelcome as a result. Keep in mind that we've lost long-standing, high-quality posters for this in the past. As such, we are currently devising ways to encourage pleasant, mature, and productive arguments.
Don't get us wrong. We are not trying to shut discussions down; quite the contrary! We want all kinds of threads to be created here on Evageeks! That said, one topic shouldn't harm the other.
Please note that these rules are applicable ONLY for the three subforums under "Evangelion Discussion and Theory" - TV Series + EoE discussion, Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion (plus its own 3.0 + 1.0 subforum) and Everything Else Evangelion. They apply in addition to the general Forum Rules and Guidelines.
Here are the rules:
- Discussions must proceed freely and any bad faith attempts to shut them down will be punished.
- Serious discussions should be based on logic and evidence, rather than on hunches or personal emotional investment. That's not to say you can't question what's being said. However, keep in mind that not everyone interprets the series in the same way. When presented with supporting evidence for a theory you disagree with, do not dismiss it right away.
- Discussions are meant to be fun and there's nothing wrong with trying to be humorous or light-hearted. That said, you shouldn't use "it's just a joke" as an excuse for ad hominem insults or inappropriate tangents. Humorous threads belong either in Off-Topic or Chit-Chat and General, depending on how Eva-related they are.
- Please use the Chit-Chat and General subforum to share your feelings about specific elements of the series, particularly those bits that caused a strong emotional reaction in you (such as anger, disappointment, sadness, etc.)
- Try not to derail ongoing arguments. If necessary, you should create a new thread or look for an older one that covers the topic you wish to discuss.
- If you keep posting things like "Evangelion is much worse than before" or "Shin is objectively a cinematic disaster", we will treat you as a troll. There's nothing wrong with criticizing NTE. However, you must do this in the right places. Not every thread is about the supposed quality of Evangelion; and even with those that are, evidence is paramount. Simply repeating the same points over and over does nothing to further the debate and will just make you look obnoxious and inconsiderate to whoever you are arguing with. Understand that not everything is objective and listen to the other side of the discussion.
- Discussions related to the franchise's lore should not be interrupted on the basis of "Evangelion is all about the characters." No one here is denying the importance of mundane and character-driven moments on the series. Allow others to discuss aspects of the franchise that they care about, even if you might not.
- Discussions about NGE and NTE should focus on the finished product. It's well known that both continuities had complicated production processes. Also, different staffers had distinct personalities and brought unique ideas to the table. Please, try not to rely on questionable information when formulating your arguments (regarding the franchise's development details and the supposed character of its staff, in specific). If you want to discuss these things, there's a whole sub-forum for that (Related Works & People).
- Users who take advantage of their general skills and knowledge to sabotage discussions will be punished. It's good to see that all kinds of people visit our site. We love the insight you all bring to the table, but don't use it to discourage others from adding their own take on things. It's not impossible for someone who has passing knowledge of a subject to spot things that a well-versed other might have missed.
- Attempts to harass or deceive the staff will result in punishment. We are not against any of you guys. Our goal is to help everyone out and encourage healthy discussions. Please treat us like human beings.
- Have fun, but let other folks have fun too.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic
- ZapXYou're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk EdWAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)
...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster