Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Re: Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:09 pm

Evangelion: Episode IV A New Hope (Oh wow, this really is Episode IV!) :rofl:

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Damn, I was (almost) completely right! Honestly, these are nice and logical choices.

Couldn't find the post you were linking to - and my attempts at fixing the link failed horribly -o-;

Nice and logical indeed, and these look to be Amazon's choice of dub languages. They're clearly aiming for as international an audience as possible.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:18 pm

^ Huh? It's here the post he trying to link: post/925711

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:So that's roughly "The Hope" then? Interesting, makes me think of "A New Hope" lol.

Yes, it literally means "the hope." "Thrice Upon a Time" doesn't exactly have a correct translation into Portuguese, it could be "Três Vezes em Uma", "Era uma Terceira Vez" (based on the translation of "once upon a time" -- "era uma vez"), or simply "Três Vezes". I don't know if there is another possibility.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:20 pm

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:^ Huh? It's here the post he trying to link: post/925711

Ah, he fixed the link himself. He's right on the money about the "usual suspects"!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:37 pm

SPOILER: Show
View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:Aaaaand there we go, Shin Evangelion will be available to stream on Prime Japan day-and-date with the rest of the world!

Edited the poster to include the English title.
SPOILER: Show

I placed the links under spoiler tags - Bernardo

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:04 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:They're clearly aiming for as international an audience as possible.

They are treating the movie as an important asset. I'm happy with that. I'm gonna be watching it subbed and dubbed (for old times' sake). :tongue:

JoelcrNeto wrote:"Thrice Upon a Time" doesn't exactly have a correct translation into Portuguese

Yeah, there isn't a "proper" translation, I believe (its many meanings would definitely be lost in the process). "Esperança" may not be that original, but it sounds good and makes sense.

UrsusArctos wrote:Ah, he fixed the link himself.

Yeah, I "fixed" it. The link was only working while I was logged out. All I did was copy and paste the same link again. Now it's working properly. lol
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:22 pm

I’ll bet $10 that we are going to hear stories about Covid-related shortages delaying the Blu-ray release of Shin Evangelion in Japan.

Also, even if they don’t add new scenes, Khara will still probably label the disc release 3.33 + 1.11, maybe even with some retouched animation. I can’t imagine the disc releases not having that symmetry with the other films.

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:29 pm

Yeah the way Anno talked at the last stage event, I don't see them adding any new scenes. Just more visual enhancement from 3.0+1.01 to make it 3.33+1.11.
Considering Bluray of 3.333 is coming out late August, I do expect the bluray of 3.33+1.11 to be late October at the earliest even later so they would have time to touch up visuals.
Also sprach Zarathustra

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:18 am

While I don't see them adding any new scenes, I do imagine them including cut material as extras. Even if most of that turns out to be storyboards and concept art that was never implemented, it would be very interesting. (There's already quite a bit of that out, doesn't stop me from wanting to see more)

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:46 am

I am more curious if they will release a special set for all the rebuilds together.
Also sprach Zarathustra

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:15 am

I'm not sure if this was already common knowledge, but considering the Amazon Prime page calls the series "Rebuild of Evangelion" that that's now the *official* name for the series? Unless I'm wrong that wasn't always its official name, rather that was the name for the making of videos on the DVDs. Glad to hear we now have a title for these films that is actually official!
wait waht

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:34 am

Officially, "Rebuild of Evangelion" is the name for a series of making-of featurette in each film's Blu-ray extras but I think at this point, it's a legitimate blanket term for the tetralogy among English-speaking audience. It feels less mundane and technical as "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition" for sure but either moniker is valid anyway.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:45 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:Officially, "Rebuild of Evangelion" is the name for a series of making-of featurette in each film's Blu-ray extras but I think at this point, it's a legitimate blanket term for the tetralogy among English-speaking audience.

Yes I think it is legit due to the Amazon Prime description area straight up calling it the Rebuild of Evangelion series, which is a term I've never seen used "officially". I was always under the impression that people just took that name from the making of videos and applied it to the films themselves (Which I love because imo it sounds way better than New Theatrical Edition).
wait waht

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:05 pm

Plus, "New Theatrical Edition" becomes awkward if a subsequent Evangelion series hits theaters after 2021. When "Guitar Ace Aoba" comes out in 2025, better for Rebuild to be called "Rebuild".

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:28 pm

Well, it's not. At least, not the Japanese title, which to this day remains to be ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版, Evangelion Shin Gekijōban/Evangelion New Theatrical Edition. Even in the event that something yet newer comes out, it will be called something differently, and NTE will still be called NTE, because rather than a descriptor, that is its primary name.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:21 pm

Only if one prefers technicality to clarity.

"Maya would never act like she does in the new theatrical version."
"Oh, which of the four does she seem out of character?"
"Four? There are more than that. I'm talking about the new one!"
"Oh, so Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time (シン・エヴァンゲリオン劇場版:, Shin Evangerion Gekijōban:)"
"What? No! The new theatrical release of the TV series, the Maya Ibuki Dating Simulator movie!"
"Oh! That new one, not the new theatrical edition from twenty years ago"
"I'm glad we don't call it Rebuild anymore."
"Who's on first?"

(On the other hand, Anno clearly isn't interested in streamlined titles so maybe confusion is on brand)
Last edited by Warren Peace on Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:38 pm

View Original Postxenosaga wrote:I am more curious if they will release a special set for all the rebuilds together.

There’s literally no way they won’t. The question is WHEN, since they’re probably going to wait for the 3.0+1.0 blu rays to sell first before dropping a box set with all 4 movies + the hypothetical 3.33+1.11 for consistency.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:26 pm

I think it'll be more protracted than that, considering profit incentive. I'd wager it goes in this order over the course of a few years:

1) 3.0 + 1.01 Bluray
2) 3.33 + 1.11 Bluray
3) Boxset of all of them in their final decimal forms
4) 4k of each individually
5) 4k Boxset
Après moi le déluge!

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:49 pm

I'd expect them to skip your #1 and start with #2. They've never put the version seen in theatres straight onto DVD, and 3.0+1.01 is a theatrical version; and 1.01 was a kind of aberration.

You know, maybe if they hadn't had to make 1.11, we would have had 2.01, 3.01, or maybe 2.02, 3.03!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:09 pm

I mean, we kind of got 2.02' and 3.03'. These versions are just lost to time, unfortunately.
Now, the names "2.01" and "3.01" look awful! I like it when the numbers follow a "symmetrical pattern" (lol). 3.0 + 1.0's case is different. That's because we're dealing with two numbers. I wonder if we'll ever get "3.03 + 1.01". That's probably never going to happen. I'm sure they'll go straight to "3.33 + 1.11"
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:39 pm

But will the other films ever get to match up with 3.333?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”