GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
GentlemanX
Adam

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:05 pm

Yeah, I just saw that too! Very exciting for Miyazaki fans including me - one of those dream announcements! Future Boy Conan has been unavailable for licensing for years, so it's awesome that GKids managed to convince Nippon Animation or whoever's in charge of the title that it should be released. And with a dub to boot!

As unlikely as it is that the blu-ray release of Eva will have stuff like the ADV/Manga dubs and Fly Me to the Moon in tact, miracles like this and the Macross announcement a few months ago prove anything is possible, no matter how unlikely.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:20 pm

So basically, if GKIDS gets FMTTM, they would have had to have gotten the rights from the Sinatra Estate, the licensing from King Records or Star Media for the specific recordings used in NGE, to which Khara might also share some rights, all while showing more than ample evidence to Khara that using FMTTM isn’t gonna cause a major lawsuit and potentially sour their professionalism in ways that Funimation may or may not have caused concern.

Good luck.
:kaji_nya:

Edit: Saw GKIDS’ Future Boy Conan acquisition on Twitter. Nice!

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:24 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:So basically, if GKIDS gets FMTTM, they would have had to have gotten the rights from the Sinatra Estate, the licensing from King Records or Star Media for the specific recordings used in NGE, to which Khara might also share some rights, all while showing more than ample evidence to Khara that using FMTTM isn’t gonna cause a major lawsuit and potentially sour their professionalism in ways that Funimation may or may not have cause concern.

Good luck.
:kaji_nya:

Sinatra only covered the song, he didn’t write it. It was Bart Howard who created FMTtM. It’s a standard.

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:07 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:So basically, if GKIDS gets FMTTM, they would have had to have gotten the rights from the Sinatra Estate, the licensing from King Records or Star Media for the specific recordings used in NGE, to which Khara might also share some rights, all while showing more than ample evidence to Khara that using FMTTM isn’t gonna cause a major lawsuit and potentially sour their professionalism in ways that Funimation may or may not have caused concern.

This is essentially it, but to clarify, they'd have to get the rights from Bart Howard's estate for each instance Fly Me to the Moon is used separately; I'm not sure if King Records/Star Media factors into that. Music rights in general are usually negotiated separately from the main anime license, which is why sometimes songs are changed or excluded for international releases such as some of FUNimation's releases of titles like One Piece (ED 14 was absent from the home video release, though they were able to include it for online streaming) or Eden of the East (the original OP, Falling Down by Oasis, was changed to a new song, Michael ka Belial by Saori Hayami, for the international release), but obviously when you're dealing with music from a separate third party it gets much trickier.

So here's the order of how events would have to unfold, from my understanding based on Sevakis' comments since I'm not an industry insider myself, if Anime Limited wanted to include say Fly Me to the Moon during the credits for episode one: Step 1. AL convinces Khara to let them attempt to license Fly Me to the Moon. Step 2. AL reaches a licensing deal with Bart Howard's estate to use Fly Me to the Moon on their UK home video release. Step 3. AL then licenses the version of Fly Me to the Moon used from whoever owns it (King Records? Star Media? Khara? Claire/the other singers?). Then repeat each step of the process for every other instance Fly Me to the Moon is used - the endings for 26 episodes (assuming we're not getting the OA versions of 21-24 similar to their absence on the Korean set, if we do then 30), plus however many instrumental versions are used within the episodes and movies themselves. The instrumental versions would then also need to be put into the audio track for the episode, which shouldn't be too difficult given the ADV/Manga dubs and the Japanese version were completed with the songs in tact, but could require some additional negotiation with Netflix if they own the VSI dubs as is speculated, but if they've gotten to that stage of the process and are using the VSI dub anyway it shouldn't pose an issue. Double all of that if Anime Limited and GKids aren't negotiating on the rights for Fly Me to the Moon together but separately for the UK/US markets respectfully.

Again, miracles happen and we could see these companies move mountains; but there are definitely mountains that need to be moved.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:16 pm

That’s right. I forgot it was Bart Howards’ piece.

I do know that, in America at least, recordings of songs have a separate copyright than the song itself, which is why I speculated the recording labels might also have to be involved. So Bart Howard owns the original song, Gainax/Khara might own their covers of Bart Howards’ song, and King Records might own the recording of Khara’s covers of Howards’ song, which means that all three parties would need to agree to the release of FMTTM for NGE’s North American release. But, again, I’m only speculating. Japan might have completely different rules when it comes to copyright, which would make the acquisition of FMTTM for NGE’s North American release even more daunting.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:35 pm

Things can improve sometimes. The recent Inuyasha BD releases, for instance: The Spanish BDs are missing three (I think) of the original OP and ED songs, but the US release has them back in place.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:17 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Things can improve sometimes. The recent Inuyasha BD releases, for instance: The Spanish BDs are missing three (I think) of the original OP and ED songs, but the US release has them back in place.

And what's interesting about that is if you watch Inuyasha on playstation or netflix, the first opening "change the world" is replaced with a generic OST - but the blu rays added it back. So miracles can sometimes happen for these music rights things.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:51 am

Glimmers of hope for the FMTTM, I guess.

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:20 pm

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:After all this years, it seems that ADV will forever be the ultimate, complete dub of NGEvangelion... Blood splatters and added gunshots aside :lol:

At this point, i'm almost expecting this to be the case.

The lengthy silence thats surrounded this situation post-announcement is not helping at all. My expectations are lowering for the blu ray release, as much as it pains me.

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:35 pm

The set is also likely taking a while due to slow approvals from Khara. Given how long it took to get 3.33 released too, it would not surprise me in the least if Khara's just a very difficult company for licensors to work with.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:00 am

So, we got…

•Internationally famous director Hideaki Anno

• Internationally famous TV series Neon Genesis Evangelion, which was the title that made its director equally famous

• Elegant packaging for the domestic Blu-ray release

• A long history of botched international releases (which, sadly, does include Gainax dubiously giving ADV the FMttM masters, as well as Funi’s initial 1.11 and 3.33 releases)

• Khara not wanting to diminish its value or professionalism while working with Toho, Toei, and Tsuburaya Productions (which is also one of the motivations they had for distancing themselves as far as possible from the Gainax sexual scandals)

• Fly Me to the Goddamn Moon

Yeah, negotiations are gonna take a while and be super secret. Also, I can see how packaging can be an issue for famous directors. It’s basically like negotiating credits appearances in movie posters and title sequences all over again, since the packing is most likely gonna have the director’s name on it.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:02 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Funi’s initial 1.11 and 3.33 releases

I know about the initial 3.0 dub, but what was so bad about Funi's handling of 1.0? I don't remember the dub or anything else about that movie being changed. I know you've been a vocal critic of how they changed the look of the end credits scroll, but I don't think that was ever revised later.
the Gainax sexual scandals

The WHAT? I thought the reason Khara split from Gainax was because of Gainax's money laundering, not anything involving sexual harassment.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:50 pm

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:The WHAT? I thought the reason Khara split from Gainax was because of Gainax's money laundering, not anything involving sexual harassment.

Here, this will explain everything.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:11 pm

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:
View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever#926922 wrote:Funi’s initial 1.11 and 3.33 releases

I know about the initial 3.0 dub, but what was so bad about Funi's handling of 1.0? I don't remember the dub or anything else about that movie being changed.

Funi's 1.01 was dark and grainy. Also one of the releases had a trailer on which had to be removed for later pressings (That might have been a FMTTM issue, but I'm not sure).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:08 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:
View Original PostBusterMachine4#926952 wrote:I know about the initial 3.0 dub, but what was so bad about Funi's handling of 1.0? I don't remember the dub or anything else about that movie being changed.

Funi's 1.01 was dark and grainy. Also one of the releases had a trailer on which had to be removed for later pressings (That might have been a FMTTM issue, but I'm not sure).

I don't think the 1.01 release being dark and grainy was Funi's fault. I would assume that they would be using the same masters as the Japanese release, which was taken from a scan of the actual film print of the movie. (I actually kinda like how the skin tones look in 1.01, but the night scenes are way too dark to make it worth it.) But that's not gonna make a studio appear unprofessional in the eyes of the law in the slightest.

It was Funi's initial home video release of 1.11 where legally unprofessional circumstances arose. Whether by fault of Khara or Funi (it was probably Khara, honestly), Funi had acquired and distributed the trailers featuring FMttM in the special features section of their disc before they realized that Khara's rights clearing for its use in Japan wouldn't carry over to the international release. That's the kinda thing that, especially in Japan, paints one as being particularly sloppy in how they run their company, and both Khara and Funi would most likely get Cease and Desist letters regarding that. Anno's new-born studio getting Cease and Desist notifications from the lawyers of rights holders that are properly protecting their intellectual property was probably what scared Khara into releasing FMttM-free versions of NGE to Netflix and other foreign markets. Both studios are understandably being tight-lipped about what happened there, but whatever happened did result in only the FMttM trailers being removed from subsequent pressings of Funi's 1.11 release, with everything else staying exactly the same.

There's no way the path to a full and proper release of NGE in North America would be quick and easily spectated by the public, especially with Eva's less-than-legally sound past under the roof of Gainax. (Gainax was also withholding taxes and participating in all sorts of other fiscally shady stuff before they started bleeding their criminally underpaid artists en masse. Being fast and loose with proper license clearing is well within their boundaries of corruption, if they even had any in the first place.) Khara wants to be invited back to work with the big dogs again, so Eva's path to international distribution has to dot every "i" and cross every "t."

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:13 am

The Italian boxset from Dynit doesn't have the Netflix Italian dub on it (just the classic Italian dub). I wonder what English dub(s) will be on the GKids release.

dvdmovies123
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby dvdmovies123 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:22 am

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:The Italian boxset from Dynit doesn't have the Netflix Italian dub on it (just the classic Italian dub). I wonder what English dub(s) will be on the GKids release.
@WTK's tweet  SPOILER: Show

holy shit that's a lot of discs!

Tweet inserted under a spoiler tag. It is not necessary to quote the whole post when you are replying to the one directly above. - JoelcrNeto

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:12 pm

I count 16 discs. Could this be a sign that the UK or US edition might be more in line with the 2015 Japanese blu-ray set?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

dvdmovies123
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby dvdmovies123 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:24 pm

i checked the site thats linked in the tweet and the black discs seem to be dvds (or could it be the other way around?)

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:05 pm

This thing is definitely gonna be the 500 bucks edition. Neat for collectors with too much money, but I'll give this a pass, lol
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”