Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Last Movie You Watched

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue May 25, 2021 11:27 am

View Original PostEvaChero wrote: I will say if you are a Red Dwarf fan the sets (living quarters and corridors) look like they were lifted off the original series sound stage...we were "laughing like drains" at this aspect... but it was in reality just putrid to sit through.

I might just watch clips just to see that as it sounds hilarious as I have heard sets sometimes get recycled, but that is not the kind of set I'd think they'd ever try to use in serious sci-fi since Red Dwarf's set looks that way on purpose since the vending machines talk and such and insult you. God, I miss the toaster that guy was so funny :D

SPOILER: Show
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Tue May 25, 2021 12:28 pm

yeah love me some RD especially the first 5 or 6 seasons. You will swear its Lister and Rimmer's bunk module.
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:57 pm

Spiral: From the Book of Saw

Opted to rent it online through Amazon Prime than risk Coronavirus at a theater. Amazingly, Chris Rock plays the part of a serious cop who has trust issues with his police department and rightfully so very convincingly. Some humor with him and his predictable Jigsaw copycat partner, I really don't think it was that big of a secret since they painfully make it so obvious. As for Tobin Bell as Jigsaw, aside from photos of his face he is nowhere to be found but the film suffers terribly from his absence. The few traps that we get are sort of Amanda Young style traps in which beating the game is possible but escape is not, and in the ending trap, there is usually an advantage that gets the copycat leaving scot free. The Hello Zepp theme song plays near the end so there's that usual trademark as well as the "Live or Die, Make Your Choice" quote from the this time pig cop puppet instead of Billie the puppet that has an nice voice though not much to write home about but at least it's something. But no "Game Over" nor "I speak for the dead" end quote that I can remember the copycat reciting to a broken Chris Rock at the very end. In it's place, there's a quiet shush signal that taunts our protagonist until the credits roll and for some reason, hip hop music (I guess it was a Chris Rock decision) plays in the background. Overall, it left the impression that the series (unless it does something interesting again and while Tobin Bell is still alive) is on the ropes struggling to get back up to it's corner. 4.5/10
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Starfish & Coffee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Starfish & Coffee » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:51 am

Candyman (1992)

Based off a short story by Clive Barker, it's an ethereal horror movie with a strong mythology behind it, the eponymous monster is a spirit of a 19th century ex-slave who got stung to death being left for dead an angry mob (and attracts massive swarms of bees). Virginia Madsen play the cool inquisitive lead nicely and I appreciate how the further she goes into the lore the more disturbed she becomes. Tony Todd was ideally the right choice for the villain given his sheer height, and according to IMDb they used real bees on set when he torments Madsen. The other cast members I didn't particularly care for, Madsen and Todd pull the whole thing together, though it wasn't the career breakthrough they were searching for, not that it'd matter. The setting of Cabrini–Green gives it a class and racial subtext highlighting the grunge atmosphere more which I don't see a lot often, dilapidated buildings have the potential to be character's of their own vis a vie gentrified apartments. In short this is solid work from Bernard Rose, who earlier payed his dues in music videos.

And I can't forgot the minimalist soundtrack by Philip Glass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdPvnKEJYi8
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, surrounded by assholes.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:15 am

The last movie I watched is The Wayward Cloud and frankly words fail to describe whatever the hell that was.

I'm definitely into Tsai Ming-Liang now though.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:36 pm

Because everyone was talking bad about it, I decided until now to put off watching The Rise of Skywalker. IMHO, I enjoyed it and found it a spectacular way to close the Skywalker saga. The lightsaber battles between Rey and Kylo were well choreographed and seeing familiar faces like Lando after so long felt nostalgic. If I were to nitpick anything, it's the obvious lack of footage of Leia but it's totally understandable given the circumstances of her passing years ago. If I were to rank each trilogy's favorite number movie, for me it would be episode I, V, and IX.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:01 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Spiral: From the Book of Saw
4.5/10

Having calmed down more than somewhat from the lack of the original Jigsaw killer being reduced to almost not appearing at all in this film, and aside from the twist villain being fairly obvious, I can appreciate the effort that went into the story and the traps and I can picture myself picking this one up when it hits Amazon with a higher score than I originally gave it.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:30 pm

Because I love it so much and find it so touching and entertaining that every repeat viewing is worth it, I keep watching Dance With Me (1998). Vanessa Williams is stunning and of course, the Puerto Rican representation in adding a Puerto Rican artist like Chayanne as male MC was a big deal then and now for me.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:16 pm

Got to enjoy Godzillas Kaiju cookout over the weekend on comet tv....and it was greatness until one I had never seen before seared my eyeballs.

Godzilla - Final Wars.

WTH was that? It's "The Matrix" meets "Flash Gordon" meets "X-men" meets ' Invasion of the body snatchers" thing left me completely....more cornfuddled
than usual. No big G til it was like 1/2 over. I give it 2 out of 5 "Greeonks" and ONLY cause the 'zilla was his beautiful arse kicking self.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:21 pm

For the first time in probably a decade, I watched Mallrats (1995). I am honestly surprised that out of all the Jay and Silent Bob movies I have seen that this is one I don't watch more. It's a masterpiece full of screw loose characters that bring the humor to maximum levels. And to think all that time I wasted watching Clerks II, I could have spent on this.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:28 pm

Cromwell, 1970. Richard Harris and Alec Guinness.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:14 pm

Satanic Panic 2019

Well that was a ride which I'd love to get the 80 minutes back of my life that I wasted on this.

The really sad part of this is it could have been amazing if it wasn't utter edge lord tasteless humour, that cringed inducing, like you know the movie's lost it when it thinks rape are funny and plays up to them in the worst possible way. It's also not ones of these movies that's so bad it's good it's so bad it's bad, and it's really sad as this could have been a really clever subversion had it been in the right hands.

As the idea of some up town elitist as Satanist's who are fine with killing their kids and summoning Baphomet in a real casual manner or making demons n a stew pot while arguing about stuff in a kind Karen like ways, is kind of funny and the actors in this are giving it their all it's just the script lets them down.

Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:33 am

Watched "Sunshine" last night. Directed by Danny Boyle IIRC

A little predictable in plot but offset by the wonderful cast and beautiful cinematography.

a bird in the hand is ALWAYS worth 2 in the bush

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:55 am

Ringu / Ring / The Ring (1998)
[1st time viewing]
Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4iODTbUn1A

- Very Good but maybe a little overrated IMO, didn't give me the sense of dread/impending doom that the American Grudge movies had (I don't remember enough about the American Ring remake to make that comparison yet)
- 2 leads do solid jobs. I wish there had been more details given for why their marriage ended, it's clearly not for a lack of love considering Ryuji watches the tape without hesitation to assist his ex Reiko.
- Opening with the 1st victims is adorable, ominous & sad.
- The score is decent but very minimalist.

Rasen / Spiral / The Spiral (1998)
[1st time viewing]
Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLgnhZ4RUqQ

- The 2 films had simultaneous productions with different directors so that they could be released as a double bill and unfortunately there was a serious lack of communication between them. Nakata who did Ringu changed a bunch of stuff from the novels (for the better) and went in a 95% purely supernatural direction while George Iida pretty much copied the Spiral novel faithfully and this is much more of a sci-fi medical thriller and besides that there are serious discontinuities especially in...
the characterization of Ryuji Takayama (who is retconned into a sinister villain here with zero explanation or motive) and Sadako herself who was previously a dark silent force of pure relentlessly haunting malice is now in Spiral a gleefully cruel talkative succubus with apocalyptic intentions.

- The lead guy here is sympathetic but lacks the smooth stoic coolness of Hiroyuki Sanada from the 1st.
- Mai who was a very minor character in Ringu returns here and gets notably fleshed out (best thing this film does), the actress gets to be very vulnerable, sympathetic & later very sexy.
- The 1st full hour I would say was quasi good and was shaping up to have a decent noble resolution for the lead but then in the last 36 minutes it goes off the rails into clusterfuck territory and pisses away the development we got for Mai and smears both the lead's character & Ryujis.
- Unlike the reviewer on 1000misspenthours (whose reviews for the series provoked me into to watching) I actually didn't think this film was badly made in terms of direction. Cinematography isn't as good as Ringu but is still fine and the performances are good.
- Film killing off Reiko & her son was bullshit (which the next movie thankfully ignores)

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:14 pm

The Tomorrow War 2021

I feel the critics were a little harsh on this one, it's not that bad a film like it's not fantastic, but It's still better than most Hollywood turn on your lizard brain outings its first act is very strong, it's the middle act that's the real issue while the last act is by far the strongest.

I think this got panned as people hate Prat and I won't lie, he is not my favourite actor by any means, as he plays useless sexist tools in most of his films. This film thought he plays a solid role and not a throw away every man. The film also does not gloss over PTSD and solider problems, it even shows therapy. It' also gets points for its diversity and showing women solders and commanders and not making everyone white and male, which is still a real problem in movies like these, though things are changing.

Where it becomes weak is when the future people arrive, the film seriously set up this scenario where they don't even tell the civilian drafted soldiers were to shoot the monsters or that their bellies are weak. The future people also have NO INTEL, I kid you not, none, and it's a beyond stupid writing choice. They don't even bring back alien carcases for the past people to test to see where they came from. They don't even train the people going forward in time fully, which also makes zero sense.

I have to give credit to the CGI men and women on this, as the alien monster design is fascinating and really menacing, and they eat people and animals and are really violent. There is though a scene where they are trying to capture the queen but don't bring trappers from the past to help them (You know, like you do with dangerous animals) and they fail to sedate her in lock up because the film needed a showdown.

The final act though is the best part of the movie as it pays homage to aliens and the thing in that this was an alien prison ship that crashed and were carrying these man eaters and the ice melting setting them free. The end fight is so fucking brutal and realistic when they go after the queen White Spike.

It's worth watching just for that, as It's something that's been missing from sci-fi movies for a long while (Though It's still in horror) the grasp of harsh reality when fighting monsters like characters being tossed around and using what ever they have to fight back, and it's getting really violent and gritty.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:46 am

Team America: World Police

Pretty much my most favorite piece of work by Trey Parker and Matt Stone. I can watch it over and over and not get tired one bit. I loved especially the Maverick angle they had going for Gary when in separate scenes Spottswoode says the quotes "Top gun actor" and "Maverick renegade." :tongue:

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:24 pm

Shadow In The Clouds 2020

I'm gonna be really blunt do not watch this film and do not think it's a female empowerment fantasy just because a woman directed it, it isn't. The whole trailer is a lie, and it's a deeply miserable affair. The fact that it's written by Max Landis is every reason to stay away, as his hallmarks are all over it, the same ones that really ruined Bright. I watched it because I didn't check who wrote it before watching, because I though John Landis's vile weasel of a son would not get work after the problems with Netflix, but apparently Amazon seem fine to push a film written by him...

This film makes the same fucking mistake that Birds Of Prey makes, which is elevate a female character, by making every single male character awful and the awful part on here is turned to fucking elven. I can not tell you how painful the first 25/30 minutes of this is, with male characters talking down to Maude mocking her laughing at her borderline rape locker room talk calling her whore, slut and lesbian not respecting her official paper work or status.

The movie I thought I was gonna watch was Maude stepping on the plane guys be a bit off at first come around in a good manner a bunch of gremlins attack everyone working together to fight them and the Japanese and that she was going to be on a real special mission and the box she was holding is in fact one of the enigma machines or parts for it and the film then doing an end b roll on how WW1/WW2 had some awesome women in planes and combat and spying (Yeah you get that b roll at the end but as the movie hurts so much, it feels tacked on.)

What I got was her in the cockpit for half the movie the single gremlins attacking Japanese attack bomber plane gets totalled and crashes in the jungle, a whole heap of suspension of disbelief that goes way too far to the point it breaks and ruins the movie. The icing on this fucking awful cake is she is not any special agent, she is someone who has an abusive husband whose drunk and beats her and she was with another airman and she got pregnant and this is a stow away mission for her and her child and since none of the crew were on side at the start the issue arises that your left wondering if they are really on side at the end since part way through they threatened to turn her in despite her telling them that she was abused.

Like its really sad this is such a fuck up as the elements on paper sound great, and it has great production value and CGI and a really nice soundtrack

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:38 pm

Watched Double Indemnity for the first time since high school, and had a somewhat heretical response.

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:I loved especially the Maverick angle they had going for Gary when in separate scenes Spottswoode says the quotes "Top gun actor" and "Maverick renegade." :tongue:

They conceived of it as a parody of ever Jerry Bruckheimer film ever made, right down to getting Harry Gregson-Williams to do the music. Did you know their original pitch was to just straight up remake Armageddon with puppets?
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:12 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:
View Original PostGus Hanson#930049 wrote:I loved especially the Maverick angle they had going for Gary when in separate scenes Spottswoode says the quotes "Top gun actor" and "Maverick renegade." :tongue:

They conceived of it as a parody of ever Jerry Bruckheimer film ever made, right down to getting Harry Gregson-Williams to do the music. Did you know their original pitch was to just straight up remake Armageddon with puppets?

Oh really? I did not know that about Armageddon. The reason I mentioned those quotes was because I had the feeling that Gary was parodying Tom Cruise in Top Gun and also because Lisa looked like Kelly McGillis.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:41 pm

Armageddon with puppets? I would pay to see that.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Return to “Film and Video”