Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:01 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:
View Original Postmastafishere#926792 wrote:I fully agree with everything you said, I just wish Khara had given us SOMETHING about the international release while we were waiting. All the secrecy was just frustrating. It would have made the wait just a little more bearable.

We are getting to see it officially dramatically more quickly than any of the previous films - before even the Japanese domestic Bluray release. This is something to cheer from the housetops, not moan about.

Ya, we didn't get 3.0 in theaters until 2014, we didn't get it on Blu Ray until 2016, and none of them have been available for streaming until next month! It's actually amazing that we will all have access to the film in just under a months time, and this indeed something to celebrate. :w00:
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:56 pm

This sets a really good precedent that a title as massive as Evangelion is actually willing to fast-track a worldwide streaming release, so we might actually see a new era where we don't have to wait years for major anime films to become more accessible faster than ever.

Actually, I won't be surprised if Shin Ultraman is getting a similar treatment with how Tsuburaya has been actively spreading their wings outside Japan with the new Mill Creek Blu-ray releases since 2019 and an animated Netflix movie by a Laika veteran.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:41 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:We are getting to see it officially dramatically more quickly than any of the previous films - before even the Japanese domestic Bluray release. This is something to cheer from the housetops, not moan about.

Was I moaning? I feel like I conveyed the frustration we all felt during these past few months before the announcement and that it could have been mitigated a bit. Nothing crazy, no chastising, just pointing it out. Obviously I agree that this roll out is fantastic and I couldn’t be happier or any more excited for 8/13.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:23 am

They may have been negotiating with streamers during a lot of that time. I imagine Netflix would have made a play (all of Evangelion in one place!) and maybe some others. The deal might not have come together long before it was announced (or maybe they locked it down in 2020 and didn't want to step on the theatrical release). There are a lot of reasons not to have told us early, as much as that sucks for international fans.

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:59 am

So usually when does the amazon prime video page show up for the movie? Does it show up the day it actually comes out? Or before that?
Also sprach Zarathustra

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:06 pm

View Original Postmastafishere wrote:Was I moaning? I feel like I conveyed the frustration we all felt during these past few months before the announcement and that it could have been mitigated a bit. Nothing crazy, no chastising, just pointing it out.

Just want to point out that in the previous circumstances we'd get a finished dub only around this time next year, and the dub announcement itself would probably have come in September-October. And don't forget the way the 3.0 dub was delayed all the way to 2016, although that was Funi's fault and not Khara's. Past things considered, Khara has done plenty to mitigate frustrations for international fans.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:15 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:
Just want to point out that in the previous circumstances we'd get a finished dub only around this time next year, and the dub announcement itself would probably have come in September-October. And don't forget the way the 3.0 dub was delayed all the way to 2016, although that was Funi's fault and not Khara's. Past things considered, Khara has done plenty to mitigate frustrations for international fans.

Yes, yes, but I feel like my point is intentionally being ignored or misconstrued. It’s no big deal, and I’m not like complaining or calling out Khara or anything like that. Believe me, I’m nothing but ridiculously grateful that I’m seeing this movie in about 4 weeks instead of a year. The wait was tough and it would have been nice to get some kind of communication. That’s all I’m saying and I’m not gonna say it anymore. I’m ridiculously happy that Thrice Upon a Time is coming and that’s it.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:38 pm

Less than a month to go before we get the answer to everything except a physical home video release. (Not even Japan has one yet!) :w00t:

Can’t wait! Hopefully we’ll get some 3.33 + 1.11 details soon.

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:52 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Less than a month to go before we get the answer to everything except a physical home video release. (Not even Japan has one yet!) :w00t:

Can’t wait! Hopefully we’ll get some 3.33 + 1.11 details soon.

Anno said he wasn’t planning any more scenes at the moment as of last week, so I’m not counting on it BUT I’m with you I’d love to get a 3.33 + 1.11!

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:39 pm

Well, isn't this surprising? Amazon Prime Japan teased a major Evangelion announcement at 10AM Japan time.

Most likely about Prime Japan catching up to 3.0+1.01, but even that would be quite the news since I don't know if there's any prior case where an anime film like this being made available on streaming in Japan before it even hit the disc!

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:54 pm

Wow, only 5 mins from now!
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:01 pm

Aaaaand there we go, Shin Evangelion will be available to stream on Prime Japan day-and-date with the rest of the world!

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:04 pm

That's very impressive!

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:30 pm

They were probably waiting for the movie to hit the ten billion mark before making this announcement. It just makes sense (everyone was motivated to watch the movie in theaters before it was "gone"). It's either that or they were waiting for Shin's "last day" to make a big surprise.
Anyway, that's cool.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:41 pm

Huh!? It was unexpected
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:58 pm

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B098T51T7X?language=en_US&tag=nataliecomic-22

amazon prime page is up. You can check the language options there.
Also sprach Zarathustra

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:37 pm

English 日本語 Deutsch Español (España) Español (Latinoamérica) Français Italiano Português हिन्दी 中文 한국어

Evangelion in...Hindi of all languages?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:45 pm

Well then, the localized title in Portuguese: “A Esperança” :uhh:
Não tenho mais... estou brincando  SPOILER: Show

It is, shall we say, a good title.
https://www.primevideo.com/detail/0LGLR ... 3FSTBTIKLM → non-Japanese website
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:52 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:English 日本語 Deutsch Español (España) Español (Latinoamérica) Français Italiano Português हिन्दी 中文 한국어

Damn, I was (almost) completely right! Honestly, these are nice and logical choices.

JoelcrNeto wrote:“A Esperança”

I like it. It's nice to see them going for an original title (rather than trying to translate the English one and failing).
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:08 pm

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:Well then, the localized title in Portuguese: “A Esperança” :uhh:
Não tenho mais... estou brincando  SPOILER: Show

It is, shall we say, a good title.

So that's roughly "The Hope" then? Interesting, makes me think of "A New Hope" lol.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”