How did you first get into Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

dvdmovies123
Embryo

Re: How did you first get into Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby dvdmovies123 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:51 am

i forget where i first knew about it from, i was planning on watching it on netflix for a while and last month i watched the tv series, death(true)2 and eoe on netflix, on a ps3, on a crt tv. it was very good (i used the Japanese audio with english subtitles) i watched it on netflix because 1. the old dvds are very expensive now and 2. we have netflix. im now waiting for more details about the gkids bluray set to appear and also waiting for the rebuild movies to go on prime video

PSIWasHere
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby PSIWasHere » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:55 pm

As someone who was heavily critical of anime as an artistic medium, watching Evangelion wasn't something I was particularly interested in, despite my reluctance I watched it anyway after a friend suggested we should. After finishing Evangelion and End of Evangelion, they quickly became both my favourite show and movie, my preconceived notions of what animation and art could produce, specifically anime, were shattered. For several months now I have been enamoured with Eva, browsing Wiki's and Forum's much like this one, in an attempt to gain more of an understanding. Pretty condensed but that's basically how it happened.
:)

Rutilia Augusta
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rutilia Augusta » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:03 pm

I wonder if anyone here is in a similar boat to me:

While in college I first caught some of NGE when it was broadcast on Adult Swim in early 2006 and was quite interested in it despite entering half-way through. Thus, I then went out and bought the Platinum Collection, Death/Rebirth and End of Evangelion, and the manga volumes that were available. After graduating I bought 1.11 when it came out on DVD (watched it and enjoyed it). I bought 2.22 as well, but that remained on the shelf unwatched. Then, life, uh, got in the way, and this stuff sat in a box.

Flash forward to this summer and the announcement that 3.0 + 1.0 would be streaming in August on Amazon Prime - "Hey, maybe I should see what's new in the world of NGE after being away for a decade." Proceeded to buy and read the remaining manga volumes, re-watched the series on Netflix (and then the old Platinum edition) and 1.11, and was blown away by how much I enjoyed 2.22. I thought they handled Asuka quite well, and the ending of Shinji inadvertently causing Third Impact while trying to save Rei was fantastic. Also picked up 3.33 (good, but different), and I've got Anima on the shelf waiting to go.

When I first watched NGE I was very much in the camp that it was teens piloting robots fighting monsters interspersed with philosophy and with an impenetrable plot at the end (not to mention the gross out scene at the beginning of EoE). To that extent, I remember enjoying the manga much more than the anime. Now, coming at it from a decade later, I have a much greater appreciation for the character interactions as the centerpiece for the story that Anno was trying to tell.

Great stuff, I'm glad that forums like this (and the wiki) exist, so that I could contextualize what I was watching all over again.

ultimate5800
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ultimate5800 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:05 am

I also remember my friend's brother had VHS without subs from Japan, so saw some episodes that way back in 1997. Whenthe anime channel was set up to start broadcasting the series, a national news magazine published like 3 pages on Eva... I was captivated and only 13 years old (1998). But my family didn't have the cable company where that channel was... after some budging couple months later we had the needed cable company services :devil:
Saw the series countless times in Spanish dub, which was quite decent. Saw Death (True) and EoE when I was around 15 (some pirated VHS with subs)
So you can imagine my excitement when the first movie was announced. I excitedly watched all movies... and waited patiently almost 9 years for 3.0+1.0
A lot happened for me in those 9 years, including me moving back to the US. When Eva released on Netflix, I was down in the dumps, but that actually gave me something to look forward to.
I had my partner watch all of the series and movies before the release of 3.0+1.0, and was stoked when Amazon announced they would be streaming the movie.
My 13 year old self was very happy last week.
Last edited by ultimate5800 on Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RichieIkari7
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby RichieIkari7 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:01 pm

Well I started watching the first 5? episodes back in 2015, I thought it was ok, I probably found it via the many anime reviewers I watch or the theme song.

I couldn't continue the series during that time as I was busy and watching a lot of other shows at the time, but I do have a vague memory of playing an Evangelion themed dating sim game on Newgrounds

Then near the end of January 2021, I finally decided to rewatch it and complete all the episodes, (after seeing a few friends talking about it).

It was the Netflix dub I watched, I loved it, then I watched the End of Eva film and that was also incredible, I've yet to watch the rebuilds though

mutter
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby mutter » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:28 am

I had seen some of the characters before and the show kept being referenced and praised everywhere including sites I frequented, so I checked out descriptions of it online and found them interesting. After delaying it for a while, I finally watched NGE right around a year ago. I was hooked, instantly related to Shinji's character and got a déjà vu-like feeling as if I had always been watching the show. A lot of the episodes left me really agitated, but I kept watching. Soon after finishing the original series, I also watched End of Evangelion and the first two Rebuilds. I watched 3.0 earlier this year and 3.0+1.0 today, actually.

rokakakaflavored
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby rokakakaflavored » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:28 pm

Old online friend group liked it, so i decided to give it a try to fit in. I watched the first episode in October 2020, finished 5, took a break, and completed the anime + EoE between January - February 2021

Jullebulle10
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Jullebulle10 » Mon May 09, 2022 3:05 am

I wanted to watch gundam and thought evangelion was gundam, watched it on dvd. Little did i know it wasn't and i instantely got hooked. The story is just great and even do i watched it years ago i still think it's 1 of my favourite series and i can't let it go. I remind myself of the series and movies almost every night.

Lazy_Uchiha
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lazy_Uchiha » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:37 am

Well I saw the zx’s release of NGE getting a lot of downloads on Nyaa so thought I should watch it, and now I am in love with it. But sad I lost those zx releases and now they aren’t seeded anymore. :| :sniffle: sad.

sephiroth2004
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sephiroth2004 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:10 pm

I'm late 30s so I saw NGE not too long after it came out. Liked it. Later on got the platinum DVD box set, rewatched it. I'm a sucker for angsty or otherwise complex romance, so Asuka x Shinji was what originally got me into fanfiction and led to me exploring other fanfic fandoms. Obviously I saw the Rebuilds, was excited until watching Q.

EP752K
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EP752K » Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:21 pm

I've known of Evangelion for years, but I started watching it after I saw the EOE ending scene with Shinji and Asuka. It sparked my interest in the show. I've now been a fan for a bit now and I love it!!!

Chenshen
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Chenshen » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:00 am

First time i got into Evangelion is around 2009-2010, i saw this anime in my local TV channel and i pretty interested with Asuka character when the first time i saw her in EVA rebuild 2.0. Since then i follows the eva so much

Nick64
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nick64 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:43 am

I got into it in my first year of high school by hearing about it from a friend, and it wasn't until End of Evangelion when I got truly attached to the franchise. :emogendo:

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:15 pm

View Original PostNick64 wrote:I got into it in my first year of high school by hearing about it from a friend, and it wasn't until End of Evangelion when I got truly attached to the franchise. :emogendo:

Literally me (just switch "friend" to "stepdad" and it's literally the same story).
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

MoonRabbitMallow
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MoonRabbitMallow » Wed May 10, 2023 6:45 pm

When I was a kid and first getting into anime, I came across Eva in a lot of those Top 10 videos on YouTube or just being mentioned by AniTubers. Then I came across clips online, or fanart, and was instantly intrigued, so tried doing more research on it. Because even though I’m not the biggest mecha fan (I actually didn’t like it at the time, nowadays I’m more open to the genre) Eva had a lot of cool sci-fi elements, religious imagery, animation, and a catchy OP. So obviously I had to see it.

Unfortunately, DVDs were no longer in circulation by that time, and what was available were expensive DVDs on EBay that I most certainly couldn’t afford, nor did I think my parents would like me watching violent mecha shows about depressed kids so I wasn’t gonna ask. So I did what any kid my age did and exposed myself to Eva solely through YouTube clips and sketchy websites (I’m pretty sure I got viruses that way). One night while everyone was sleep (it might have been over the course of a few nights) I ended up binging the entirety of Eva that way on my laptop. And then I watched EoE and 13 year old me was a changed person after that experience, truly, no piece of media has ever made me feel the way I did watching EoE for the first time. I was not only hooked but also deeply confused and utterly speechless. It really kicked off my love for psychological horror, actually, which is my favorite genre ever now.

When Eva came to Netflix I finally rewatched the show 3-4 times (for some reason), this time having a better understanding of the plot and themes. Rewatched it all recently and it did hit a bit different due to personal reasons. Started getting into the lore and extra material and realized I had a lot more content to catch up on!
I'll think of something interesting to put here at some point! Probably. Maybe. Not likely.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu May 11, 2023 4:35 am

Ho boy, that's a journey alright :lol:
Good to have you on board and that you weren't hit so hard by watching it that way that it turned you away for good
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

noblejie
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby noblejie » Sun May 14, 2023 6:32 pm

wow, I feel like a little kid seeing how many years ago most of you have gotten into evangelion... Two years ago a friend told me to watch it because of how "psychological" it gets and she thought I was going to like it. She was right

Penpendesarapen
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Penpendesarapen » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:13 pm

First heard the theme song in 2015, I liked it but it never compelled me to check the series. Around 2021 when 3.0 + 1.0 was released, I noticed people online everywhere referencing EVA but it didn't take me until 2022 to finally take the plunge. I'm glad I did. I knew nothing about the series prior, except for the theme song. I didn't even know it had mechs in it, I knew it was sci-fi related but I figured it was vaguely something like Star Trek. It has since grabbed a hold of my heart and I just wish I had gotten into the franchise way earlier!!

parfaitchaeyng
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby parfaitchaeyng » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:56 am

I saw clips of it online and the opening and thought it looked cool so i watched it

joshua002
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby joshua002 » Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:31 pm

I first watched EVA on a bootleg DVD when I was 14. the same age as Shinji so the show hit a lot harder for me.
I eventually saved up the money to buy the Platinum set and the manga entertainment DVDs of the movies. this was
before G-KIDS made the Blu-ray release. I'm thankful for not being one of the people who grew up with the Netflix DUB.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”