Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Registration
Embryo

Re: Gundam (In All Its Incarnations) Mk. II

•      
  •      

Postby Registration » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:49 pm

Yeah, Divers is even harder in this aspect depending of the type of episode, that was something that I missed on Divers Re:Rise, but it wouldn't make sense since they were in the real world...

The big battles of Divers have so many fan service, check this out, this is a single episode

https://www.gunpla101.com/deep-dive-ref ... pisode-10/

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:30 am

Yeah, Fighters is on much of the same level; occasionally, you'll see an entire shelf of increasingly obscure shit just in the back of a shot, it's amazing. I haven't seen Divers yet (aside from two out of context episodes that I can't say I particularily enjoyed), but the references do seem to be the best part of it
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Registration
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:26 am

Divers is more about video games and digital life, not being so much as gunpla focused, but it uses it as a background to the game.

Divers Re:rise is about the consequences of the first Divers series and it goes full gundam, it is the most gundam out of it. It is my favorite of all Build series too, is really fucking good.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:54 am

yeah, ReRise is amazing, definitely one of my favorites from the franchise at large. Also from what little I have seen of Divers it retroactively makes the base show better.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:59 pm

I did some Seed viewing of my own of episodes 30 and 31. All the time with the way they stock footage Kira killing Nicol, you can bet I was rooting for Athrun. Poor Tolle never had a chance when Athrun beheaded him with his shield. Flay keeps annoying me when she demands answers about Kira's fate from Kuzzey that even he told her to leave him alone. Natarle is a cold hearted bitch once again with her attitude of not wanting to look for Kira or Tolle, declaring them officially MIA. I did appreciate the authentic Mwu/Murrue moment in which she was starting to cry that if Mwu didn't come back from a search then she wouldn't know what to do. As for Cagalli and Athrun, Lord knows what goes on in that girl's head first pointing a gun at him when he wakes up and not approving of any way of bringing about peace that isn't her way.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Registration
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:43 am

jesus, Kuzzey.

I don't think I will ever see a more pointless character in any media than him. He brings nothing, adds nothing and they just send him away and never touch it again. He looks like an extra from SEED, even in hirai's artstyle.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:01 pm

View Original PostRegistration wrote:jesus, Kuzzey.

I don't think I will ever see a more pointless character in any media than him. He brings nothing, adds nothing and they just send him away and never touch it again. He looks like an extra from SEED, even in hirai's artstyle.

I didn't really mind him so much as jealous Sai and by the book Natarle both of them annoying me round the clock with their defective personalities. You can pretty much bet your bottom dollar I didn't mind that Sai was no longer in Destiny even though he survived.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Registration
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:57 pm

He kinda was in SEED destiny. His voice actor narrated a recap back in 2006. But he and Toole were my favorite kira's friends, but knowing that his arc was done, it would be pointless to have him there. I prefer to not know if he is even alive or died in the events of destiny.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:37 pm

View Original PostRegistration wrote:but knowing that his arc was done, it would be pointless to have him there. I prefer to not know if he is even alive or died in the events of destiny.

Does that mean that the lack of usage of Cagalli in the end of Destiny meant her arc was closed or merely the theory that Chiaki Morosawa (the screenwriter) was convinced that Mitsuo Fukuda (director) and Naomi Shindo (voice of Cagalli) were having an affair so she gave her a bad edit on writing her character in the sequel?

Registration
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:02 am

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:
View Original PostRegistration#926155 wrote:but knowing that his arc was done, it would be pointless to have him there. I prefer to not know if he is even alive or died in the events of destiny.

Does that mean that the lack of usage of Cagalli in the end of Destiny meant her arc was closed or merely the theory that Chiaki Morosawa (the screenwriter) was convinced that Mitsuo Fukuda (director) and Naomi Shindo (voice of Cagalli) were having an affair so she gave her a bad edit on writing her character in the sequel?

This is just a baseless rumor, the problems with destiny were that the scripts were coming in late, and working on TV anime is always a battle against time, even more when it is a 50 episode production. If this was true, why not just kill cagalli at any point? It would be quite easy and had lots of opportunities to do.

Cagalli's arc in destiny makes lots of sense because it is the natural progression to her character, now without her father, she has to grow up and be active without the direction protection of him. Dealing with usurpers and so on, she just can't act the same way as before (and this reflects on her relationship with athrun, and why is she took her ring off, even when she still loves him)

And look what surprise: victory gundam is back at SRW30, there will not be evangelion but lots of different series in the lineup this time (more novels and manga too)

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:08 pm

I'm going to dispute that Cagalli's arc throughout all of Destiny makes sense; her character was kneecapped quite heavily throughout the middle.... I want to say half of it; but as far as the beginning and the end of the show is concerned, I quite agree.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:53 pm

Watched a few more eps of Victory tonight; currently I'm somewhere between "fuck this show with a rake" and "die in a fire, victory". Not a good time for all the wrong reasons.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:28 pm

Watched quite a bit of Seed during my break all the way up to episode 39. So glad to see that Kira and Athrun squashed their beef and became friends again. My favorite of the trio of Druggies is Shani because of the cool voice and his hobby of listening to music like I often do in my free time.

Registration2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration2 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:02 pm

It is hard to believe that Hathaway's Flash was a better movie than shin eva, but it totally was. And gundam movies aren't known for being very good. Lets hope G reco III kicks ass too.

Since gundaminfo put gundam 00 a wakening of the trailblazer up online, I did watch it again and fucking hell, it is so good, but the ending of the movie is still so rushed it hurts, it is a great horror movie.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:22 am

View Original PostRegistration2 wrote:It is hard to believe that Hathaway's Flash was a better movie than shin eva, but it totally was.
I disagree.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:08 pm

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:
View Original PostRegistration2#927951 wrote:It is hard to believe that Hathaway's Flash was a better movie than shin eva, but it totally was.
I disagree.

I suspect most people on this forum would disagree with such a statement.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:50 pm

Anybody here who still owns the original movie trilogy on VHS like me think that Steve Blum performing Char Aznable was just as perfect as all the other roles he has voiced over the years?

Registration2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration2 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:40 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:
View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes#927977 wrote:I disagree.

I suspect most people on this forum would disagree with such a statement.

that is okay, doesn't change the fact that HF still BTFO shin eva movie in all technical aspects. The usage of 3D mecha, particle effects, the animation and character designs oozing from realism and even the story. An introductory work versus a conclusive work and how one puts pieces with the context of a 30 years old work and the other with some 25 years and it felt more fulfilling in the HF. Even more when it was with a character that was mostly disliked like Hathaway.

You could even make some parallels with how both movies are written, like two characters dealing with their destiny and how they perceive the reality of their situation (hathaway experiencing the life, talking with people on earth versus Shinji moping around and doing chores). How they decide on their own decision and the bleak ending that it awaits us with hathaway.

Also they are doing the scripting of the second movie right now, so i guess 2 or 3 years to the next movie.

And of course, looks like the fourth G Reco movie will get about half time of new content, this is going to be so fucking good, praise tomino

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:18 pm

"praise Tomino" is a sentiment I will never agree on after having seen the travesty that are most of his pre-Turn A works. I respect the man as a worldbuilder, but he is a mediocre writer and terrible director.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:28 am

^I actually just watched the original MSG movie trilogy by Tomino on Netflix and was...pleasantly surprised by how much I liked them, especially after my not-very-fond memory of Turn A's first episode. They still had a lot of problems (them being condensed versions of a longer TV show came off clearly with how certain events and character motivations did not seem to have the necessary amount of build-up and certain events did feel rushed; the action largely bored me unless it managed to weave character stuff into it; the three small kids were completely out of place; etc) and I liked them ultimately more as a showcase of an important cultural artefact that has had an intense amount of influence on anime as a whole than as actual artworks in themselves. But I still liked them and they were a lot better than I'd expected them to be-Char and the genuine feeling of "war anime" were my favorite parts of them.

Return to “Anime and Manga”