Amazon Prime's English Dub (General)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Amazon Prime English Dub Cast

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:43 am

^The movies have been on Google play for months, maybe even years. I think it was determined it doesn't mean much.

For the first three films, I think the og dubs would be Funi property, so I'm expecting a full re-dub for consistency, or none at all.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:23 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:For the first three films, I think the og dubs would be Funi property, so I'm expecting a full re-dub for consistency, or none at all.

While every deal is different, this is not common practice in modern anime dubbing, including FUNimation. There are various FUNimation dubs produced before, at the same time, and since FUNimation's Evangelion work that have since been redistributed by other English licensors. Discotek is probably the most relevant example, releasing FUNimation produced dubs for titles like Kenichi the Mightiest Disciple, Sgt. Frog, Lupin III, etc. While there are rumors that FUNimation owns some of the earliest dubs they produced, notably Dragon Ball Z, this simply isn't the norm for their titles and there's nothing to suggest Evangelion is any different. Now, there are exceptions to this rule in the industry, and in Eva's case Netflix is a good example. Various European licensors have had difficulty including Netflix produced dubs for their home video releases as it seems Netflix makes it a routine part of their deals to own the foreign language dubs they produce. This has resulted in many subtitled only releases in those countries, as Netflix's asking price for those dubs is allegedly out of many companies price range. However, we don't need to go to another market for an example of this. Sentai Filmworks home video release of Baki the Grapler received an entirely new dub produced apart from the Netflix produced dub for this same reason, because Sentai could not afford the existing dub. Now, it's possible that Khara's deal with Netflix was different and Khara owns the 2019 dub instead, because every deal is different, but that would seem to be the exception to the rule. It also shouldn't play any part in whether the 2019 dub would be possible to include in the upcoming GKids release, as GKids should have the money to afford that dub should they want it. But there's really no reason to assume FUNimation owns the rights to their dubs of 1.11, 2.22, and 3.33 when that doesn't match up with the vast majority of their releases and non-Netflix industry norms. It is most likely that Khara owns the FUNimation produced dubs and if they don't see a re-release it will be because Khara doesn't allow their re-release.

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:29 pm

In regards to Tiffany Grant, when Neon Genesis was announced to be hitting Netflix she was very upfront about the fact that she would not be Asuka in the re-dub on her Facebook page. Now, in this instance, she's not saying anything at all, which makes me think that she very well may be coming back, as it's unlikely she's under NDA, because if she has no involvement and they're using the VSi cast, why would she be? I think that if she wasn't in it she'd definitely say.
Personally I think it's more likely that we'll get the Funi team back.
wait waht

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:44 pm

View Original PostGentlemanX wrote:]
I apologize for the harshness of my post if you were not meaning to come across as you did. As someone who is in charge of other online communities, I take care and make a priority to create a welcoming environment to anyone wishing to participate in discussion and who may or may not share the same views as myself or the majority. Your post came across as very gate keeping to me, with emphasis placed on an English dub not deserving of high priority and that the quality of the Japanese version makes discussion of other versions insignificant. While board staff of course can hold and express their opinions as any other user, they still need to be cognizant of their position and what their language represents in terms of discourse. If one's superior expresses an opinion that can be construed as invalidating that of a colleague, and then when pushed back against another superior does the same thing, it gives the impression of trying to control and shape the overall direction of discussion. Given other users were given the same impression by your post, I feel this is worth taking into consideration.

To be honest, your initial harshness had predisposed me to disregard what you had said as taking offense for the sake of it. But now that you've explained this calmly your argument makes complete sense to me and I realize how my words, even if not intending to be harmful, did a major disservice to fans of the English dub. And my defense of Blockio was, again, in hindsight somewhat embarrassing and quite unnecessary.

I'll be frank. My actions went against my own best intentions in trying to make EGF a well-managed and welcoming board - my intentions, at their core, are the same as yours, to create a welcoming environment for all Eva fans no matter their views, and, without intending to, I bungled that now. It's also one of the reasons why I've been trying to keep away from moderation. Tell you the truth, I feel like I do better trying to improve EGF backstage instead of up front where my temper can get in the way.

I sincerely apologize to anyone who felt offended or unwelcome because of my words.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:52 pm

A possibility I've been thinking about that no one else in this thread has mentioned: What if whichever company dubs this movie used the VSI cast for the secondary characters, but got the ADV cast for Shinji, Asuka, Misato, and Gendo, and the Funi actress for Mari? It would be similar enough to the Funi dub that they wouldn't have to redub the first three movies, but it would remove the need to rehire all the Funi cast members since Funi no longer has the rights to Rebuild.

Even if they did redub the first three movies, they could also include that dub cast as a secondary option, with the primary dub being the same except for using the VSI cast for everyone. That way, they could please both fans nostalgic for the old cast, and recent fans who watched the Netflix dub.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:03 pm

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:A possibility I've been thinking about that no one else in this thread has mentioned: What if whichever company dubs this movie used the VSI cast for the secondary characters, but got the ADV cast for Shinji, Asuka, Misato, and Gendo, and the Funi actress for Mari? It would be similar enough to the Funi dub that they wouldn't have to redub the first three movies, but it would remove the need to rehire all the Funi cast members since Funi no longer has the rights to Rebuild.

If they have all the VSI cast except Mongillo and McKeon, I would tear my f***ing hair out. For me, it's all or nothing. And likewise, for fans of the Funimation dub, I doubt they'd want any mixing of the casts, either. In trying to make everybody happy, they'd end up making nobody happy.

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:14 pm

I could potentially see them going for Spike, Tiffany, and Allison for name recognition, while using the newly "approved" VSI cast. I think it's plausible, even though I do think it's more likely they just use the VSI cast or, what I believe, a new third case.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:21 pm

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:
SPOILER: Show
A possibility I've been thinking about that no one else in this thread has mentioned: What if whichever company dubs this movie used the VSI cast for the secondary characters, but got the ADV cast for Shinji, Asuka, Misato, and Gendo, and the Funi actress for Mari? It would be similar enough to the Funi dub that they wouldn't have to redub the first three movies, but it would remove the need to rehire all the Funi cast members since Funi no longer has the rights to Rebuild.

Even if they did redub the first three movies, they could also include that dub cast as a secondary option, with the primary dub being the same except for using the VSI cast for everyone. That way, they could please both fans nostalgic for the old cast, and recent fans who watched the Netflix dub.

This is irrelevant to the discussion at hand, but it's nice to see you on the forum again, BM4.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:51 pm

View Original PostFryMeTuhDehMuhn wrote:In regards to Tiffany Grant, when Neon Genesis was announced to be hitting Netflix she was very upfront about the fact that she would not be Asuka in the re-dub on her Facebook page. Now, in this instance, she's not saying anything at all, which makes me think that she very well may be coming back, as it's unlikely she's under NDA, because if she has no involvement and they're using the VSi cast, why would she be? I think that if she wasn't in it she'd definitely say.
Personally I think it's more likely that we'll get the Funi team back.

Spike also suggests he's (maybe) under an NDA, saying "if I did know anything, I couldn't say". If that's the case,it's totally bizarre to me. What's the harm in revealing their participation?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:05 pm

Companies love their secrecy, even when it has no competitive advantage for them.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:56 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Companies love their secrecy, even when it has no competitive advantage for them.

If they announce the cast before 8/13, it becomes another news item to keep the pre-release hype going. Heck, even AFTER the release, it's something for people to talk about and discuss, thus keeping the movie relevant in online chatter.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:42 am

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:If they have all the VSI cast except Mongillo and McKeon, I would tear my f***ing hair out. For me, it's all or nothing. And likewise, for fans of the Funimation dub, I doubt they'd want any mixing of the casts, either. In trying to make everybody happy, they'd end up making nobody happy.

Yeah, I know your opinions on the original lead actors for the dub are... somewhat negative. But I did suggest an alternate dub with 100% VSI cast, so that would probably be a compromise you and other Netflix dub fans would accept.

And I think Funimation fans would be pleased by that compromise: I've noticed that most fans of the original ADV/Manga/Funi dubs are really more fans of the lead actors, given that they're the only constant in the pre-Netflix dub cast. So if they get the actors for Shinji, Misato, Asuka, Gendo, and Mari, and use the VSI cast for everyone else, it wouldn't be any more jarring than the transition between ADV's NGE dub and Manga's EoE dub.
View Original Postbaldur wrote:This is irrelevant to the discussion at hand, but it's nice to see you on the forum again, BM4.

Yeah, it's nice to be back. After my one-month temp-ban, I was thinking of becoming a lurker (for reasons I won't discuss here), but I decided it would be a good idea to keep posting.

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:55 am

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:And I think Funimation fans would be pleased by that compromise: I've noticed that most fans of the original ADV/Manga/Funi dubs are really more fans of the lead actors, given that they're the only constant in the pre-Netflix dub cast. So if they get the actors for Shinji, Misato, Asuka, Gendo, and Mari, and use the VSI cast for everyone else, it wouldn't be any more jarring than the transition between ADV's NGE dub and Manga's EoE dub.

Personally I would just, as a Funi fan, rather we have the whole Funi cast. I don't want a mix of all the dubs, as to me the Rebuild's supporting cast was just fine. In my opinion, they shouldn't do what you suggest - Some might be okay with it, but I personally find it would be way too jarring to throw two completely different dub casts together like that, with some people I like and others I don't.
Also, for Netflix fans, would you really want it that all the supporting characters be the same, but the main characters that you have the most interest in, the ones you are supposed to focus on the most, have completely different voices?
wait waht

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:47 pm

Fyi, Dan Kamitsu said on twitter that all the localization information should be released on August 13. So we're probably going to waiting until then.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:35 pm

View Original PostFryMeTuhDehMuhn wrote:In regards to Tiffany Grant, when Neon Genesis was announced to be hitting Netflix she was very upfront about the fact that she would not be Asuka in the re-dub on her Facebook page. Now, in this instance, she's not saying anything at all, which makes me think that she very well may be coming back

That's a very good point, I forgot how open she was about the Netflix dub.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:24 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Fyi, Dan Kamitsu said on twitter that all the localization information should be released on August 13. So we're probably going to waiting until then.

We get it. You don't like the ADV or Funimation dub and you're actively hoping that people don't get to see their favorite voice actors for the characters that they loved one last time.

You don't have to keep rubbing it in.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:31 pm

View Original PostJKun76 wrote:
We get it. You don't like the ADV or Funimation dub and you're actively hoping that people don't get to see their favorite voice actors for the characters that they loved one last time.

What did I say? Honestly, he didn't say one or the other, I was just trying to provide a timeframe for when we will know. There are legit signs that Spencer and Grant might be back, I honestly don't know.

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:34 pm

JKun76 wrote:

hui43210's comment has nothing to do with who will or won't be in the English dub. While it would be expected that the dub cast wouldn't be promoted ahead of time similar to the Netflix release, confirmation of that from an official source, Kanemitsu already confirmed he worked on 3.0+1.0 previously, is appreciated to inform our expectations on when more information will become available.

I'm as anxious about the dub as you are and will be the first to emphasize the quality of the previous English versions, but this comment has nothing to do with what you're frustrated about.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:05 pm

Since this thread is getting heated to the point of adhoms over absolutely nothing, we are locking it until the movie has released.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:07 pm

This thread is now unlocked. To those who wish to comment/discuss on the English dub, please do so here; if things get heated, it will be locked again. So behave yourselves.

Thanks!
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”