Shin Evangelion beats franchise record for the first day at the box office

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
xenosaga
Lilith

Re: Shin Evangelion beats franchise record for the first day at the box office

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:03 am

Online event and another stage greeting event next week.

Some of the main cast and Anno himself will participate the stage event.
Also sprach Zarathustra

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:00 am

They also said #ShinEvaLastRun ends on July 21 which I'd assume means the end of the film's theatrical run, that's the first day of summer vacation. Some theaters are probably gonna be packed with fans as the end date is closing in, but will they be able to reach 10 billion in just 19 days? :bigeyes:
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:44 am

GhostlyOcam wrote:but will they be able to reach 10 billion in just 19 days?

With 339 million to go it's gonna be cutting it close.
Since the movie isn't getting a theatrical release in my country I guess there's nothing left to do but more me to pitch in.
I'm gonna fly to Japan and go see this in a theater a half dozen times before July 21st to help them reach 10 billion and oooooh yeah they're (rightfully) not letting tourists into the country yet...

darn.

If the run does end July 21st (which is a Wednesday, weird, but looks like movies are opening on Thursday that week to avoid the opening ceremonies on the Olympics on Friday July 23rd so I guess that makes sense) and they hope to reach the goal they better plan something special. Only made 11 million yesterday. They've got three more weekends to work some magic.

I wonder what'll happen if the film ends its run at 9.9 billion? Can't imagine Anno & Khara would just shrug their shoulders and let it be.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:27 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I'm gonna fly to Japan and go see this in a theater a half dozen times before July 21st to help them reach 10 billion and oooooh yeah they're (rightfully) not letting tourists into the country yet...

darn.

If the goal is to just help them reach 10 billion, you could, like, use a VPN to buy Japanese tickets online, and then, like, not show up, right?
:kaji_nya:

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:28 am

^ lol. :mari_ahaha:

Well, Anno himself is at a July 11 stage greeting so I guess he's trying to pump things up a little. It's hard to say what else they might announce, because at 339 million they're within spitting distance of the 10 billion mark. I don't see them shrugging their shoulders and letting that slip!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:29 am

The number of screens are significantly decreasing as of today since several new films are premiering (Tokyo Revengers, Godzilla vs Kong) but it still has a good hold, the current total is 9.661 billion yen.

They're launching other programs like a "director's cut" of All Night Nippon radio show with additional guests among other things, but frankly all they need is one more theater benefit to crank up the number although it doesn't seem possible with the film having less than a month left.

Damn, I'm getting a bit anxious here :rofl:

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:03 am

Ten billion is so close yet so far away....

According to the eigarankingnews twitter account, over the weekend Thrice Upon A Time made 60 million yen bringing the film's total to 9.721 billion. Only 279 million more yen to hit the desired 10 billion goal.

But the movie is losing screens & showings per day now and there are only 16 days left until the proclaimed end of the theatrical run.
To hit 10 billion none of these 16 remaining days can drop below 17.43 million. That's a tall order.

Maybe Khara will pull out some giveaway for the final days. The stage greeting where Hideaki Anno will be present is happening with exactly 10 days left in the run after that. Who knows.

The film should pass 9.8 billion sometime within the week. And 9.9 feels pretty certain but I don't think anyone would be happy if on the 21st the theatrical run ended with less than 100 to go.

It also surpassed Mission: Impossible 2 to become the 39th highest grossing film of all time.

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:32 am

I wonder if it would be possible to put Shin in the theaters again later time just to reach the goal of 10 billion...

Maybe when they have the Blu-ray version of 3.33+1.11 or something...
Also sprach Zarathustra

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:20 pm

xenosaga wrote:I wonder if it would be possible to put Shin in the theaters again later time just to reach the goal of 10 billion...

If they don't reach 10 billion before leaving theaters I do think they'd pull something like this. A short theatrical release either sometime later this year or next to say "It made* 10 billion in theaters". They're so So SO close.

The film is now up to 9.76 billion. Less than a quarter billion to go. 234 million yen. Can it make their goal in the final 15 days?

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:05 am

It's currently at 9.77 billion yen and is expected to reach 9.8 by either Friday or Saturday with the current pace, they also confirmed the stage greeting on July 11th will be live-broadcast to other theaters so expect a considerable boost on Sunday, but after that will be the ultimate uphill battle to reach 10 billion unless they have one more thing to do next week and I doubt they want to let the film's last full weekend went on without a bang.

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:22 am

View Original PostJKun76 wrote:Would the theatrical run be done now if not for this 10 billion yen push? I have a feeling it's pushing back everything from the Bluray to the International release.

So now I'm curious if we would have heard about the international release sooner if not for this considering we got the news a day after the final run push ended.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:46 am

Last Run campaign among other things is also an excuse to release the updated 3.0+1.01 version theatrically which is also the cut we're getting for Prime release, so even if the film could've came out earlier on streaming I'm glad we jumped to the superior version immediately (not that there are many noticeable changes, as the reports suggested).

What I'm curious right now is whether 3.333 and the eventual 3.0+1.11/3.33+1.11/Whatever will replace the current versions sometimes after they hit disc release or released as separate premium pay-per-view features, but I know they definitely want to maximize disc sales in Japan first before either of them are being made available to stream so it would take a while.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:55 am

Was 3.333 the first one to include the retconned plugsuits? If so, I would’ve hoped that that’s the one they were releasing on Amazon, just for the improved consistency.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:01 am

Nope, we're getting 3.33 and that's also the version currently up on Prime Video Japan, maybe to keep things even for now.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:09 am

Seems kinda silly to not release the new version, IMO. The kinds of people who were going to buy a new blu-ray just for some minor visual enhancements and retconned plugsuits would’ve still bought it regardless of whether or not it was available on streaming. Why NOT just give everyone the “best” version of the movie?

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:17 am

All I can say is That's Just How Business Works™ but if you're planning to discuss this further, we can do that in a more appropriate thread since it's better to keep this one consistently about 3.0+1.0's BO discussion.

(Edit: wrong linked thread lol, ironic I know)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:46 am

The movie is up to 9.788 billion.
If there isn't a major drop off it may reach 9.8 billion within the next 24 hours.
At that point it will surpass the odious "The Adventures of Milo & Otis" to become the 38th highest grossing film of all time at the Japanese box office.

With 13 days to go before the theatrical run officially ends will it be able to make the last 212 million?
It's gonna be tough.

At this point reaching 10 billion is all about the cast/crew greeting on July 11th with Anno and if they have any final goodies planned for those last 10 days of screening.

And with the government intending to announce a 4th Covid-19 state of emergency in Tokyo within the next few days I don't know.... (though it's great to hear vaccinations are speeding up and at least 1/4th of the popular is fully vaccinated now)
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-07-07/tokyo-to-declare-4th-covid-19-state-of-emergency-until-august-22/.174901

I'm beginning to think/expect if they don't make it that when the film is ready to be released on discs they'll do a short theatrical run of the disc cut - see Evangelion 3.33+1.11 in theaters - to say that the film did make over 10 billion in theaters.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:06 pm

IT'S SUUUUUUPER CLOSE, 9.79 Billion Yen today. I feel like 10 billion is understandably hard to reach although 9.9 seems to be locked sometimes next week as there will definitely be a considerable boost on Sunday, they're also reviving IMAX shows for a few days, again.

EDIT:
Aaand there, officially 9.81 Billion Yen as of noon in Japan!

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:42 am

It feels so close, yet so far...
Also sprach Zarathustra

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:55 am

Less than two weeks left for it to have a shot in making cinematic history... :rei_poke:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”