Possible Spinoffs After 3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Possible Spinoffs After 3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:50 pm

Blockio wrote:Don't get your hopes up too much. Anima is genuinely terrible for a long list of reasons

I can only imagine. All I know of Anima is some of the artwork and so much of that, while well drawn, is already incredibly cringe.
Last edited by Gendo'sPapa on Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zethus Thorne
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zethus Thorne » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:56 pm

A possible re-write of the Anima storyline to fit in line loli catgirl Mari being replaced with Adult Mari who is Rei Six's caretaker and emotional crutch. Kaji having a Char complex.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:13 am

View Original PostZethus Thorne wrote:A possible re-write of the Anima storyline to fit in line loli catgirl Mari being replaced with Adult Mari who is Rei Six's caretaker and emotional crutch. Kaji having a Char complex.

I understand all of those words but I have no idea what the fuck any of them are supposed to mean. What the fuck?

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:57 am

View Original PostArcher wrote:I understand all of those words but I have no idea what the fuck any of them are supposed to mean. What the fuck?

That makes two of us xD
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:56 am

SHIN SPOILERS HERE READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

SPOILER: Show
I don't know if anyone has proposed this yet, but with the way 3.0+1.0 goes, I would love a spin-off that revolves around the different timelines Kaworu has been to and what the various timelines are like. It would be interesting to see what they could put in as there could be so much to show and do!

Please mark actual spoilers for Shin accordingly - staff
Last edited by FryMeTuhDehMuhn on Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
wait waht

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:32 pm

View Original PostFryMeTuhDehMuhn wrote:Please mark actual spoilers for Shin accordingly - staff

Whew, almost spoiled the movie for me there!!! On a side note, even if it is boring and/or confusing I'll be getting Evangelion Anima to read at the beach cause I'm in desperate need of something other than Harry Potter to read...which is what I've brought with me the last two years xD
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:49 am

Ahhhhh sorry!!! I thought just marking as a spoiler was enough but I was wrong so I've been more specific about what my text has spoilers for. Sorry again!!!
wait waht

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:42 pm

View Original PostFryMeTuhDehMuhn wrote:Ahhhhh sorry!!! I thought just marking as a spoiler was enough but I was wrong so I've been more specific about what my text has spoilers for. Sorry again!!!

Don't worry it's all good!!! :D
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:48 pm

I'd like to see Eva end with Anno but I know it's naive to expect that. If the show must go on, I vote for KOJIMA doing... whatever he damn well pleases with it.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:34 am

View Original PostFryMeTuhDehMuhn wrote:Ahhhhh sorry!!! I thought just marking as a spoiler was enough but I was wrong so I've been more specific about what my text has spoilers for. Sorry again!!!

That can also be done using the "spoiler=" button.

Code: Select all

[spoiler="spoiler for something"] text of spoiler [/spoiler]

This is an example of a Shin Eva spoiler  SPOILER: Show
No spoiler here...did you really think I was going to do it?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:05 pm

There is no danger of there never being another Evangelion project. But much like any other franchise be it Avengers or Dragonball. Even if the next few projects are good. After the last movie interest is inevitably going to decline, with Anno stepping down for good or at least for the foreseeable future. Eventually what made the original series and to a lesser degree the rebuilds special will be gone as well. But that's to be expected of any franchise these days. The audience always wants to see more.

As for what I'd personally like to see? That's a little trickier. Evangelion isn't like Gundam or Star Wars where you can focus on a new cast of characters on a different planet or another part of the universe. My first advice would be to maybe move on from the storylines of Shinji, Asuka, Rei, Misato, Mari etc. and give us some stories from other characters. Their stories have been explored, to the fullest extent that they can be explored and a story with a new character would be the first thing to let the fans know that book is closed and we're doing something new.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:37 am

Obviously we need a full movie series revolving around Pen Pen. Same budget, same care in animating, most of the dialogue is penguin sounds. Except Pen Pen's inner thoughts will be voiced by Norio Wakamoto.
Last edited by penguintruth on Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:58 am

Give me formation of Wille stuff, give me Mari and Asuka meeting for the first time, give me Mari being the pin-up girl around the place while Asuka is acknowledged as the better pilot but everyone except the original Nerv are terrified of her, give me Mari arguing with Misato about painting Unit-08 pink, give me backstory on all the new bridge bunnies and Sakura, give me
spoiler for 3.0+1.0  SPOILER: Show
Kensuke/Toji/Hikari stuff
give me the creation of the DSS choker, give me the piece ending with Misato tying up her hair, putting on those sunglasses and saying something badass.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:03 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Don't get your hopes up too much. Anima is genuinely terrible for a long list of reasons; although most of all it is dreadfully boring. For all the inane shit happening in it, it is an absolute slog to get through

Huh, well that saves me time. The artwork always looked nice. Oh well.

@Jayfive - I know I just read somewhere that Anno had said he wanted to explore the time gap, so it's not out of the question. When though? No clue.

Ray wrote:Their stories have been explored, to the fullest extent that they can be explored and a story with a new character would be the first thing to let the fans know that book is closed and we're doing something new.

NGE and the video game that came out after it left a lot of lore in the background that has never been explored. I'd like to see a project that maybe focuses on that. Maybe a version of Evangelion that focused more on the plot than the characters. Of course rebuilds lore is different from NGE. So IF they do this, then I wonder what they'd pull from.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:56 pm

For those holding out hope for there being a spinoff manga or tv anime set during the time skip? I wouldn't get your hopes up. I would love to see a spinoff set during the time skip but it's probably not going to happen. Japanese pop culture doesn't do the same thing American pop culture does where they make a show or spinoff set between installments. Though I am sure there have been exceptions Japanese spinoffs usually take the form of something like the Shinji Ikari Raising Project or the Sadamoto Manga. More slice of life harem comedy or retellings of the original story than something that expands on the lore or events happening behind the scenes like the Star Wars EU or the Marvel movies.
Last edited by Ray on Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:08 pm

Yeah, that. If you look at other franchises that are comparable in popularity to Eva, you'll see not a lot of adaptations of other stories in it. Hell, Gundam has.... I want to say fiveish (Unicorn, Thunderbolt, Stargazer, Hathaway and I think one or two of the 90s OVAs are also adaptations) anime adaptations not counting ten minute oneshots like Astray or Twilight Axis to its eyeballed twenty shows and movies, with people yelling for an adaptation of their favorite thing for literal decades at this point.
There will probably be something at some point down the line; but I am willing to bet that it will be an original story instead of an adaptation of something else
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:29 pm

What even is there to adapt? If they’re going to do a slice-of-life with the Eva cast they’re definitely gonna do it from scratch because there’s no way they’re not putting Mari in it.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:30 pm

There's Anima, which... if anything is going to be adapted, it's probably going to be that, because it's kinda the only one of the non-video game spinoffs that has... y'know... Evas in it. Girlfriend of Steel also has a chance which I personally want to see solely because it would mean getting figures/model kits of the Trident

Other than that... a few slice of life things, half-baked "what if Eva characters but in a completely different genre" and a few videogames that are mostly just retellings with some extra fluff added.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:12 pm

I got a gut feeling that Anno will feel nostalgic for Eva in 10-15 years and come back to do more. It's unlikely that any of his other works after Shin will explode to Eva's degree of popularity - so sooner or later he'll be back. I just hope they give Eva to other studios so we can see how other directors handle the series under just a general supervision but without having Anno be the driver. As for what it'll entail, I hope another reboot. Maybe an anime again this time or an OVA?

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:36 pm

View Original PostFryMeTuhDehMuhn wrote:SHIN SPOILERS HERE READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

SPOILER: Show
I don't know if anyone has proposed this yet, but with the way 3.0+1.0 goes, I would love a spin-off that revolves around the different timelines Kaworu has been to and what the various timelines are like. It would be interesting to see what they could put in as there could be so much to show and do!

Please mark actual spoilers for Shin accordingly - staff

Technically we've already seen a ton of em. Every spin-off that exists is an alternate, canon timeline. And if the EVA team is a supporter of the many worlds interpretation, even fan works are technically canon separate timelines. Campus Apocalypse is dumb and Shinji gets a gun, but the story centers around protecting Yggdrasil, which Kaworu explains works like a timeline, each branch is a universe that branched off.
Ray wrote:For those holding out hope for there being a spinoff manga or tv anime set during the time skip? I wouldn't get your hopes up. I would love to see a spinoff set during the time skip but it's probably not going to happen. Japanese pop culture doesn't do the same thing American pop culture does where they make a show or spinoff set between installments.

Maybe it's just said hope, but this is blatantly false. Gundam does this shit all the time, there's so many side-stories set during the One Year War as well as the fantastic prequel The Origin. Hell, Japanese even has a specific word for spin-off set during an already established timeline, gaiden. I wouldn't expect Anno to be deeply involved other than just running it by him, but I'd be very surprised if we never saw a manga series called like Missed Messages or something, set during the timeskip. With all the new stuff introduced in 3.0 and 3.0+1.0, it almost feels like the EVA team was trying to set up a universe specifically for gaiden media to draw from.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”