Newtype - popularity polls

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Newtype - popularity polls

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:32 am

SPOILER: Show

Some popularity polls are out and here's how Shin Evangelion performed.
Asuka, as expected, is number one ^_^! She was already the most popular Evangelion character before the movie. Now that Shin has given her the "deuteragonist treatment", It only makes sense for her to keep that position. Ayanami, Mari and Misato also managed to do pretty well!
Shinji, as no one expected, is also number one ^_^! Yeah, he has defeated Kaworu (seems like society has been evolving lol)! It looks like Shin has revamped his character in many ways!

Other surprises: Kaji managed to grab the third place in his category. That's simply amazing in so many ways! He's finally getting the recognition he deserves! Gendo also surprised me by occupying the 7th position!

[Since Kaji appeared in the poll, I decided to place this thread here. If that's not a problem, feel free to move it out of the subforum, please!]
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Re: Newtype - popularity polls

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:46 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Asuka, as expected, is number one ^_^! She was already the most popular Evangelion character before the movie. Now that Shin has given her the "deuteragonist treatment", It only makes sense for her to keep that position. Ayanami, Mari and Misato also managed to do pretty well!
Shinji, as no one expected, is also number one ^_^! Yeah, he has defeated Kaworu (seems like society has been evolving lol)! It looks like Shin has revamped him in many ways!

Shinji has always defeated Kaworu in the Newtype polls. This poll is for the people who buy the Newtype magazine (who seems to have mostly a male audience).

That said, I'm pretty surprised Rei has lost in the popularity poll. She was usually the most popular in the Newtype polls. I the previous Newtype poll, I think Rei was above Asuka.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:40 pm

Yeah, maybe defeating Kaworu isn't that impressive (considering the environment in which the poll took place). That said, I still consider this to be a big "W" for Shinji. He always ends up in good positions, but this is the first time I've seen him in first. If it happened before, I personally don't remember (maybe it occurred around the time HA came out, but I'm not entirely sure)
You know what? I still think that it is amazing to see Shinji over Kaworu in any type of popularity poll. Of course, I recognize that this is nothing "new" when it comes to Newtype. But, think about it. Kaworu has a huge and loyal fanbase, while Shinji is looked down upon by many. To see him in the number one spot is something really cool for me!

As for Asuka. I'm sure I've seen her taking first place on a number of occasions before. The one that crosses my mind now happened in September 2009 (right after HA was released).
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:51 pm

In the times of HA, Shinji has been in the first position for Newtype Magazine (September 2009):

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:07 pm

Yeah, there it is. I had the impression that this had happened (I vaguely remembered this image in which he is talking to Kaji).
Shinji and Asuka occupying the first position in their respective categories. Yeah, things haven't changed that much since the HA's release hahaha.
I would like to know how well Shinji ranked at the time Q was released (something tells me he was in any position but the first hahaha).
Anyway, coming first is not a constant for his character. It's cool to see him taking the number one spot.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:27 pm

I should mention that, in 2010, Newtype released Top characters for each decade:

Top 10 1990's Male Characters:
1. Shinji Ikari (Evangelion)
2. Kaworu Nagisa (Evangelion)
3. Kurama (Yu Yu Hakusho)
4. Sakuragi Hanamichi (Slam Dunk)
5. Hiei (Yu Yu Hakusho)
6. Heero Yuy (Gundam Wing)
7. Mamoru Chiba/Tuxedo Mask (Sailor Moon)
8. Kenshin Himura (Rouroni Kenshin)
9. Conan Edgar (Detective Conan)
10. Besara Nekki (Macross 7)

So, Shinji has always been appreciated in Newtype Magaine.

The big change is for Rei and Asuka regarding Newtype.

Top 10 1990's Female Characters:
1. Rei Ayanami (Evangelion)
2. Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon (Sailor Moon)
3. Asuka Langley Soryu (Evangelion)
4. Sakura Kinomoto (Cardcaptor Sakura)
5. Ruri Hoshino (Martian Sucessor Nadesico)
6. Nadia (Nadia: Secret of Blue Water)
7. Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury (Sailor Moon)
8. Mylerle Jenius (Macross 7)
9. Belldandy (Oh My Goddness!)
10. Deedlit (Record of Lodoss War)

https://animesuperhero.com/forums/threa ... e.4995301/

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:16 pm

That's weird. In most of the screenshots I've come across, Shinji ranked well, but almost never in first place (apart from these two cases we pointed out). Well, I was looking at popularity polls that took place during the 2000s/2010s and not the 90s. That changes things.

As for Asuka, we all know that, in terms of popularity among Japanese audiences, Ayanami had the edge over her during the late 90s. However, this has changed over times. Let's not forget that she won last year's NHK's Evangelion Mega Poll. This, coupled with the great prominence she received in Shin, makes her current position not a surprise to me.
Popularity polls, in general, are always fluctuating. Right after EOE's release, one of these was made. In the book Evangelion Forever, its results were shown. Asuka ranked number one, while Ayanami took the 5th place. That happened in 1997, which is surprising in a number of ways.
Last edited by BernardoCairo on Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zethus Thorne
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zethus Thorne » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:17 pm

Was it the latest Newtype listing?

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:26 pm

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:That's weird. In most of the screenshots I've come across, Shinji ranked well, but almost never in first place (apart from these two cases we pointed out). Well, I was looking at popularity polls that took place during the 2000s/2010s and not the 90s. That changes things.

Yeah. Evangelion is still pretty popular in Newtype magazine, but the votes often go for more recent series.

I think this poll was made in 2010. The audience of Newtype magazine was likely asked about their favorite character for each decade.

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Popularity polls, in general, are always fluctuating. Right after EOE's release, one of these was made. In the book Evangelion Forever, its results were shown. Asuka ranked number one, while Ayanami took the 5th place. That happened in 1997, which is surprising in a number of ways.

Could you tell me the other results of that poll in Evangelion Forever?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:39 pm

The most notable thing, for me, is that Mari had a big jump. I don't think she was in the top 5 last time, now she ranks above Misato.
It might be cause she finally got something like an emotional scene (after Asuka gets eaten, supposedly? I remember a lot of youtube comments like "I wasn't sure at first but I love Mari now shes such a good friend!")

Does it say how many votes the girls are apart?

IIt's probably a bit of a zeitgeist thing with Rei embodying the 90s better (plus she had more of a uniqueness factor back then - it's why genre defining designs often look plain today cause everything copied them)

In my opinion, if Rei fans become a minority that just gives me extra edgy points.
She's still 2nd place tho, still has loads more active avid fan than in the anglosphere. Good Rei FF used to be everywhere now its far & in between...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:56 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:The most notable thing, for me, is that Mari had a big jump. I don't think she was in the top 5 last time, now she ranks above Misato.
It might be cause she finally got something like an emotional scene (after Asuka gets eaten, supposedly? I remember a lot of youtube comments like "I wasn't sure at first but I love Mari now shes such a good friend!")

In times of Ha (September 2009), Mari was already 3rd position of female characters for Newtype magazine:

Now, as I mentioned, Newtype magazine polls are from the people who buy the magazine and the results are affected for the moment. So, we can't use these polls to conclude the popularity in Japan.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:03 pm

Konja7 wrote:Could you tell me the other results of that poll in Evangelion Forever?

Sure! Oddly enough, the results were very similar to the ones seen in last year's NHK's Evangelion Mega Poll. It took place in 1997 and garnered 46,307 votes.

Here's the original tweet in which I found this data (it took me some time to track it down):

1 = Asuka Langley Soryu
2 = Kaworu Nagisa
3 = Shinji Ikari
4 = Misato Katsuragi
5 = Rei Ayanami
6 = Maya Ibuki
7 = Ryoji Kaji
8 = Gendo Ikari
9 = Ritsuko Akagi
10 = Pen Pen

There are some oddballs here and there. For example, Maya and Kaworu, who don't play a big role in EOE (like Asuka or Shinji). That said, they are in some amazing scenes (Kaworu's speech at the end of the movie must be one of my favorite moments from the franchise).

Kendrix wrote:The most notable thing, for me, is that Mari had a big jump. I don't think she was in the top 5 last time, now she ranks above Misato.

Yeah, that was quite a surprise! Above Misato, one of Evangelion's most important characters! That probably has to do with the ending. There's also the fact that she has an inviting personality and is Asuka's best buddy. As Konja pointed out, she has been in the TOP 3 before. However, that was when she debuted as a character (so the "novelty factor" was at play).

As for Ayanami, she's still a fairly popular character. In my opinion, she lost popularity because her "mysterious nature" has been a thing for too long. Unlike Misato or Asuka (who mostly shine in Evangelion's mundane and action packed sequences), Ayanami plays a bigger role in the franchise's lore. Once her mystery was solved, she lost that "initial impact", while Asuka received a brand new background and plenty of attention in the areas which made her special in the first place.
Anyway, Ayanami still has a unique aura around her character, as she still has a lot of fans. That's why I'm not sure about the "edgy points" (Misato fans are probably the ones who deserve it hahahaha).
Last edited by BernardoCairo on Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:02 pm

Yeah. Rei is still pretty popular.

It isn't even a certain that Asuka will be above Rei in a Newtype magazine. If I'm not mistaken, this is a Newtype magazine released in April 2021:

It isn't noticeable, but Rei is in position 6 (and it's mentioned the previous month she was in position 8). Asuka didn't appear in this poll.

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:1 = Asuka Langley Soryu
2 = Kaworu Nagisa
3 = Shinji Ikari
4 = Misato Katsuragi
5 = Rei Ayanami
6 = Maya Ibuki
7 = Ryoji Kaji
8 = Gendo Ikari
9 = Ritsuko Akagi
10 = Pen Pen

Thank you very much.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:20 pm

Konja7 wrote:Thank you very much.

No problem.

By the way, I said that these results were similar to the ones seen in last year's NHK's Evangelion Mega Poll, but forgot to actually compare the two hahaha!

1997:
1 = Asuka Langley Soryu
2 = Kaworu Nagisa
3 = Shinji Ikari
4 = Misato Katsuragi
5 = Rei Ayanami
6 = Maya Ibuki
7 = Ryoji Kaji
8 = Gendo Ikari
9 = Ritsuko Akagi
10 = Pen Pen

2020:
1 = Asuka Shikinami Langley
2 = Kaworu Nagisa
3 = Rei Ayanami
4 = Shinji Ikari
5 = Misato Katsuragi
6 = Mari Makinami Illustrious
7 = Ryoji Kaji
8 = Pen Pen
9 = Maya Ibuki
10 = Gendo Ikari

The lists are not perfectly alike, but there are many similarities between them (Maya is surprisingly on both).
I truly like seen Asuka being the number one. It's not a "pride thing" (I'm not happy just because my favorite character is "winning"). I'm overjoyed because she has been getting a lot of attention from Khara recently. While coming up with new promotional materials or cool little things, they often choose her to be the focus it. Just yesterday they posted on Twitter a drawing of her in black and white for us to color (which is a nice and relaxing thing to do in your spare time).
That's why I like to see Kaji reaching third place on Newtype's popularity poll. It never felt right for the second most important character in HA to get less attention than a guy who literally shows up for less than two minutes. I understand why this is the case, but c'mon hahaha! Anyway, I hope this boost in popularity means more prominence for the character going forward.
Last edited by BernardoCairo on Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:41 pm

I start to suspect that the sudden appearance of Evangelion characters in the Newtype ranking is due to the Newtype magazine released in May 2021:

The poll should have been realized in May 2021.

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:That's why I like to see Kaji reaching third place on Newtype's popularity poll. It never felt right for the second most important character in HA to get less attention than a guy who literally shows up for less than two minutes. I understand why this is the case, but c'mon hahaha! Anyway, I hope this boost in popularity means more prominence for the character going forward.

I really doubt popularity could make more for Kaji. After all, he has always likely been the third most popular male character in Evangelion.

Unfortunately, Kaji wouldn't be so profitable in the merchandise aspect even if he is appreciated.
Last edited by Konja7 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:02 pm

Yeah, people prefer the pilots and I'm aware of that. Honestly, it kills me to see Kensuke at the last place in NHK's Evangelion Mega Poll. I'm hoping the movie will raise his morale among the audience (it just makes sense considering his connections with Asuka and overall "cool factor"). Toji's placement is also a complete disgrace! He's behind Maya (even in the poll that came right after the original series)! That's just... It's unbearable to me hahaha!
Actually, that's something interesting. These days, when you type "EVA pilots" into Google, the first thing that pops up are photos that include Mari and Kaworu. I have nothing against these characters, but c'mon! I want to see some content that focuses around Toji! To be honest, there are probably more fanarts depicting NGE than NTE to this day (because it's the more popular and influential continuity). Still, Toji barely shows up in these materials as well! I'm going crazy over here! I can't be the only Toji fan out there hahaha!
Going back to Kaji, it's really a shame. I know it's easier to draw public attention to mecha pilots than a cool detective with love issues. I understand that. Still, Kaji is one of the most prevalent characters in the franchise (NGE, Sadamoto's manga, NTE and so on).

Registration
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:41 pm

I bet that when the new SEED movie comes out, the Kira/Lacus will dominate it again for an entire era. If Amuro and Char are on the list almost 40 years (yeah, that is the origin char), imagine Kira and Lacus.

Also, clearly the best girl in the 2.0 rank photo was Sheryl and it isn't even a question.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:57 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:In times of Ha (September 2009), Mari was already 3rd position of female characters for Newtype magazine

Ah, I misremembered then. Guess she's just more popular in Japan. maybe cause ppl see her more as just new quirky side character much like hikari or maya vs something that needs some big brained justification to deserve to exist.

It does kinda warm my heart to see Shinji occasionally ranking higher than the girls with how many ppl hate him. He does get loved, too.

Shinji * dressed in tracksuit like in the ruins scene *: "Why do ppl bother voting for the likes of me?"
Rei: "That's cause they all like you"
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:29 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:It does kinda warm my heart to see Shinji occasionally ranking higher than the girls with how many ppl hate him. He does get loved, too.

Well, consider that Shinji isn't competing with the girls in the Newtype magazine. Also, Shinji has popularity with the audience of Newtype.

In general, I think Shinji is more popular in Japan than the West. In NHK's Evangelion Mega Poll, his position was 4, which is still pretty high.

That said, although Shinji is likely more popular than Mari, he wouldn't be so profitable in the merchandise aspect as Mari. However, Eva-01 is extremely profitable and the face of the franchise.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:38 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:TAs for Asuka, we all know that, in terms of popularity among Japanese audiences, Ayanami had the edge over her during the late 90s. However, this has changed over times. Let's not forget that she won last year's NHK's Evangelion Mega Poll. This, coupled with the great prominence she received in Shin, makes her current position not a surprise to me.

For context, this is the one:

Rei being the most popular forever in Japan is something of a misconception. It was certainly true in the 90s - it's even made fun of in After the End, and I think Animate Voice Cassette too - but this changed in the early 00s and by the middle of the decade Asuka was safely neck-to-neck or even ahead of Rei. And she never really recovered after that. I recall reading somewhere that Rei had lost her "mystery" and was no longer interesting to Japanese audiences, whereas tsunderes were in their height of popularity in that 2004-2012ish era. You can argue that's not the case anymore either, but Asuka (and Rei) aren't just any character.
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”