Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Re: Gundam (In All Its Incarnations) Mk. II

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:23 pm

There must be something wrong with my Netflix subscription because Hathaway hasn't shown up in the appointed date and it just says to keep waiting. As for the original movie trilogy, it says that it debuts on Friday. Here's hoping.

BTW Blockio, I think I am gonna have to skip Seed marathoning for good due to lack of interest in the material as well as liking the more darker Tim Burton style UC entries over the what could be called light hearted Joel Schumacher style of mainstream CE Gundam.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:45 pm

Hathaway will be released on Netflixing on 1st of July; nothing wrong with your account.

And yeah, up to you.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:41 pm

I see.

As for Seed, I tend to compare the two main titles to the Schumacher Batman films. Much like how Batman Forever is to the first Seed, same could be said for Destiny being Batman & Robin, my ultimate guilty pleasures. :tongue:
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:51 pm

Watched Hathaway; the fight scenes are amazing, the rest is filled with a few too many Tominoisms for my taste. 7/10 overall, I look forward to the next.
Also, the movie does seriously need some work on the lighting, I had to double the brightness of my monitor to see fuckall during the night scenes, but that made everything else way too bright.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Registration
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:32 pm

Gundam Breaker Battlogue was announced and it is directed by OBARI. The designs are fucking nice and it will be really fun.

And I thought the only thing to look forward to watch new episodes of Build Real.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:03 pm

Oh yeah, the new designs look gorgeous. Well, for the most part. Inject the Barbataurus into my veins, Battlogue.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:50 pm

That's uh...very interesting to say the least, Tomino! :|
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/intere ... ex/.174037

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:25 pm

That one's been floating around for a while, ANN just refurbished the story. but yeah, Tomino has always had some dubious takes to the tune of "you can't write a character if you haven't thought about in great detail what it would be like to fuck them", which does go a long way to explain why outside of Turn A he can basically only write literal child, backstabbing bitch and rampant mommy fetish for any female character.
I highly respect Tomino as a worldbuilder, but as a writer he can kinda fuck off most of the time

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:03 am

I quite like most women in Tomino anime, so this article is specially funny to me (the guy with a female Gundam character likes female Gundam characters, what a surprise). He's just such a goofball, it's great.

But anyway, finally watched the first Hathaway movie too, and it was pretty good. Gigi is an obvious highlight, but I was also quite happy that the mechas weren't CG 100% of the time, and even when they were, the fights were so well directed I could easily ignore it. A shame I'm going to have to wait an eternity to see the rest.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:39 pm

Koichi Yamadera, seiyuu of Gyunei Guss in Char's Counterattack, has gotten hitched for the third time:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/intere ... da/.174125

Registration
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:54 am

almost finishing rewatching seed destiny, gonna take a break from gundam after that... 50 episodes are too much.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:19 am

Yeah, Destiny is rought to do start to finish. I find the last 10ish to be quite good, that usually prevents me from completely burning out on Gundam, but I'm having much of the same experience as you with Victory currently

Registration
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:43 am

Actually no. I quite like the beginning of Destiny, way more than I ever liked SEED, I quite like Shinn being a dark hero like intended. The problem is Kira, I just don't enjoy watching him at all, I can enjoy myself watching Rey manipulate Shinn, Lunamaria starting to lose her perception of Shinn, Athrun indecisiveness and anyone else. But anything Lacus and Kira I just don't care and the end part is full of it.

Still really enjoys the show, it is really fun and competent (I don't even think the amount of flashbacks and reused animation is a fault itso, but more like a choice because of the format, and I prefer watching mayu running to counting how many angles I will see Buster Gundam shooting)

Ah, Victory Gundam is so good, I did rewatch some episodes this week, the final ones, such raw emotion, the final scene of Reinforce Jr is so good. That scene of Katejina and Shahkti... so good.

After finishing it I will return to watch Neo Ranga, it looks great and the monster design is so good, but it kinda bothers me hearing Asuka voice, even when the character does have a better personality and it isn't as grating as her.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:26 pm

We are having polar opposite experiences with these shows, lol. I find Victory to be somewhere between dreadfully boring and downright appalling. It just feels empty, and the only times that it doesn't it's disgust at Tomino's sexism.

Registration
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:47 pm

Victory is where he started exploring womanhood that would be more seen in Brain Powerd. There are lots of different female characters there that are so different from each other even when it is the same setting.

But now, I just saw Hideaki Anno's proposal for the competition design for the nu gundam and it looks really bad, Anno's design was the worst of the bunch, so bad.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:32 pm

View Original PostRegistration wrote:Victory is where he started exploring womanhood that would be more seen in Brain Powerd. There are lots of different female characters there that are so different from each other even when it is the same setting.

I don't see it at all. The only three types of women in victory are literal child, backstabbing bitch and rampant mommy fetish, with the occasional character being either of the last two depending on the scene.
The first thing that the Shrike team does out of suit is bet cosmetic products on a brawl between actual children.
Whatsherface from Zanscare gets introduced by being nice to a random dude, giving him gifts and then shooting him in the back the second he has outlived his usefulness, and then later forces handcuffed Uso to take a bath with her.
Katejina joins Zanscare for no reason other than "lol uterus amirite" and is continuously leading Uso on.

What part of any of that is nuanced writing, lots of different characters, or in fact anything other than blatant sexism and ALL WOMEN ARE SO MEAN AND BACKSTABBING BITCHES EXCEPT WHEN IM HORNY FOR THEM

Registration
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:46 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:
View Original PostRegistration#925313 wrote:Victory is where he started exploring womanhood that would be more seen in Brain Powerd. There are lots of different female characters there that are so different from each other even when it is the same setting.

I don't see it at all. The only three types of women in victory are literal child, backstabbing bitch and rampant mommy fetish, with the occasional character being either of the last two depending on the scene.
The first thing that the Shrike team does out of suit is bet cosmetic products on a brawl between actual children.
Whatsherface from Zanscare gets introduced by being nice to a random dude, giving him gifts and then shooting him in the back the second he has outlived his usefulness, and then later forces handcuffed Uso to take a bath with her.
Katejina joins Zanscare for no reason other than "lol uterus amirite" and is continuously leading Uso on.

What part of any of that is nuanced writing, lots of different characters, or in fact anything other than blatant sexism and ALL WOMEN ARE SO MEAN AND BACKSTABBING BITCHES EXCEPT WHEN IM HORNY FOR THEM

Lets see then:

Literal child: Suzy. Shahkti isn't a literal child, even when her actions are childish, she is a more maternal character by taking care of Karlmann and trying to resolve her problems through talking and dialogue, she is never beligerant, even in the finale, when se could do anything to Katejina, in her lowest stage when she realizes it is her, she still helps her. Shahkti is for me the type of women that the future would want to be.

backstabbing bitch:Katejina. And even this is wrong, she isn't like Reccoa from Zeta, in the beginning she is already shown to be quite an outsider even in Woowig, not caring about the deaths of her own people, she still holds a moral value in the beginning of the story when she sees literal children fighting in the war. When she gets involved with Cronicle, and he is one of the few that kinda understands her feelings of not belonging, even when he is supposed to, they get together. Her feelings toward him are clearly of love, even putting both him and Uso against him, Uso being more of a juvenile love (him loving her, she never loved him, but used his love of her in the battle). And we couldn't escape the reality of her being a cyber newtype and the problems that it comes with.

I wouldn't put Fuala Griffon here, since her actions are more of an effect of the war (by using Guillotine as propaganda, being discarded by her superiors and being turned into a cyber newtype later), she is more of being betrayed than backstabbing herself.

mommy fetish: Lupe Cineau. Her wanting to be a mother, while being in the military is the contrast in Marbet wanting to be in the military and learning to be a mother and protect the next generation.

And the rest of the characters? How does it fit there? Would you say that Martina and Elischa are literally children when their origins as being from outside earth itself and not being able to cope with the smell of life and death on Earth? Or the carrier oriented nature of Shrike Team (They betting on a brawl, shows much more of their bonds than anything, Tomino always does these types of things to show life and history without stating it. For example the scenes of pilots eating or drinking, the scenes of characters taking care of themselves by taking baths or cooking (See G-Reco for example, it is full of these life moments that never do have importance in the story, but shows how much characters are alive)

Uso's mother and father are one example of how things are rough in the setting. When Uso first encounters his mother, even with all the training they gave him from early age, she still acts like a mother to him, unlike his father, who sees him as a soldier, Shahkti notices it. Marbet who wants to be a soldier but it is more fit to be a mother, Junko who kinda have a death wish and wants to fight in the war, even Maria, who is being used by Kagatie to further his plans in another Jupiter influence power struggle toward Earth versus Colonies.

And when you notice all the female characters in Victory, even the minor ones and their stories, you get the picture that all stages of life are covered: Childhood, adolescence, mature, motherhood, working age, senility, love. And then a few years later you get Brain Powerd, where he focus on motherhood more, but it all started here mainly (But you could take pieces here and there from a few other stories before like Ideon for example (Kasha, Sheryl, Lin)

There is a good interview between Anno and Tomino about Victory where they talk about the show

https://wavemotioncannon.com/2016/11/08 ... ge-071994/

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:21 pm

I took a break from the dumpster fire that is Victory and watched a far better show over the weekend with a friend; namely Build Fighters. Legitimately one of my favorites now, it's just bursting with enthusiasm for the hobby that you don't really see anywhere else. You can tell that the people making it genuinely love Gundam and Gunpla

Registration
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:00 pm

Finished Destiny, man it was pretty good in the end. I kinda wish they gave a better epilogue (they did, in the drama cds, but no translation AFAIK), but with the movie project confirmed being in production and ECLIPSE now happening, I can get more of SEED. I still prefer the end of SEED DESTINY The Edge, shinn and athrun talking is top quality.

I guess I will start Build Fighters but I doubt it will be better than Build Divers in the love of gundam department. The love part in Build is quite entry level, and divers goes so fucking hard on it bringing in so much obscure shit from all eras of gundam.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:30 pm

Yeah, I quite like the end of Destiny; for all my gripes with the show, they did get the last handful of eisodes right.

Oh, Fighters is chock full of references. There's an episode that took us an hour to get through because we kept pausing and looking at all the cameos showing up in there. Festival stalls with the visors of the various OYW Zeon suits, AE/Zeonic/Zimmad/all the other manufacturers having their emblems on a flag chain, a million characters from other shows in the back of shots (there's a reason they call the timeline "valhalla", all the dead people walk around in it) and in general just a critical mass of Gundam nerdery

Return to “Anime and Manga”