Shin Evangelion beats franchise record for the first day at the box office

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Shin Evangelion beats franchise record for the first day at the box office

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:19 am

View Original Postxenosaga wrote:They are indeed pulling some very smart moves to really go over the line. Kaworu/Mari being random is very smart lol.

All's fair in love and getting your film to 10 billion at the box office.

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:28 am

Would the theatrical run be done now if not for this 10 billion yen push? I have a feeling it's pushing back everything from the Bluray to the International release.

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:14 pm

View Original PostJKun76 wrote:Would the theatrical run be done now if not for this 10 billion yen push? I have a feeling it's pushing back everything from the Bluray to the International release.

Not really..... It's only been like 3 months.... and I remember Q was in theater well over 3 months.
Also sprach Zarathustra

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:29 pm

View Original Postxenosaga wrote:
View Original PostJKun76#925192 wrote:Would the theatrical run be done now if not for this 10 billion yen push? I have a feeling it's pushing back everything from the Bluray to the International release.

Not really..... It's only been like 3 months.... and I remember Q was in theater well over 3 months.

Yeah, I don't see how any of this has any effect on an international release. That's all probably predetermined and will be announced when they're ready to.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:52 pm

View Original Postxenosaga wrote:
View Original PostJKun76#925192 wrote:Would the theatrical run be done now if not for this 10 billion yen push? I have a feeling it's pushing back everything from the Bluray to the International release.

I didn't really keep up with Q's release so if you say so.

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:29 pm

If I recall, the blu ray release for 3.33 was immediately after the theatrical run, about five months from the start and like a week or so from the end. If 3.0 + 1.01 (or whatever) follows that window (and there's really no reason to assume that they would because everything about this release has been atypical) then 3.0 + 1.01 could still run for another two months AND ALSO release its blu-ray around that same time. Who the heck knows though

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:57 pm

View Original PostJKun76 wrote:Would the theatrical run be done now if not for this 10 billion yen push? I have a feeling it's pushing back everything from the Bluray to the International release.

Probably not. I live in the US and Japan seems more open to longer theatrical runs than here.
3.0 ran for like 5 months and had a sharper decline in attendance than 3.0+1.0 did.
Shin Godzilla was in theaters for like 8 months.
The Demon Slayer movie is only hitting disc now.
Makoto Shinkai's hit films ran for like a year.
And my mind exploded when I learned In This Corner of the World had an uninterrupted run of over 1,000 days in one theater.

I don't think the theatrical run for the film would have been over already or anytime soon BUT without these new pushes the film would have no chance in hell of reaching 10 billion. Without these recent pushes it probably would have closed out its run at like 8.7 to 8.9 billion. Maybe it would have fought to reach 9 billion.

I'm guessing the theatrical run, in Japan, will go on for at least another two months. It'll be in a handful of theaters only for that last run though I guess. All these recent pushes are probably because if they want to ever reach 10 billion they need to do it now before the big summer releases come out and suck up all the attention- like Mamoru Hosoda's Belle which looks to be his biggest intentional crowdpleaser since Summer Wars - OR the 2021 Olympics do whatever damage they're going to do.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:04 pm

3.33's relatively fast release was an anomaly in both Evangelion and anime movies home video release in general. The general range for movies to be released on home video is 6 to 12 months, CMIIW 1.01 (not the 1.11 update that arrived much later) and 2.22 came out around 10 months after they went theatrical, long after they left the big screen. The recent examples like Demon Slayer and Bones' Josee the Tiger and the Fish have 8 months release window between theatrical-home video (October-June and December-August respectively), so I think Shin should be somewhere around that too.

As Gendo's Papa pointed out, 3.0 was frontloaded but didn't have a good hold at the BO, I think it immediately fell from the #1 spot on its second weekend compared to Shin which was the #1 film for five weeks straight.

Shin continues to perform well at the BO even after 3 months with this Last Run campaign which means it's going to lose the majority of its screens soon, despite the audience's renewed enthusiasm. Although it's probably because some films that were supposed to be released earlier and got pushed back by the emergency periods are already reserving slots and Shin has to give up.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:23 pm

GhostlyOcam wrote:As Gendo's Papa pointed out, 3.0 was frontloaded but didn't have a good hold at the BO, I think it immediately fell from the #1 spot on its second weekend compared to Shin which was the #1 film for five weeks straight

Yeah. I remember hearing how 3.0 was frontloaded. It makes sense since the film is intentionally putting the viewer in Shinji's headspace and meant to upset them.

If BoxOfficeMojo's data is accurate - hard to tell since it's most focused on US box office - that even with a 50% drop in attendance in 2012 our lovely You Can (Not) Redo held on to the Number 1 spot for two weekends. Then it dropped pretty quickly after that and was out of the top 10 within two months.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl3785983489/weekend/

In comparison, Thrice Upon A Time has had a more steady decline in attendance (ticket sales never dropped 50% to the week prior) & didn't exit the Top 3 until about 2 1/2 months after release. Now it's back near the top of the charts. Interestingly, the weekend the 3.0+1.01 version was released is the FOURTH most successful weekend the film has had. (Don't know why BoxOfficeMojo doesn't have the grosses before March 20. It's not perfect for releases outside the US. If there's a Japanese equivalent of BoxOfficeMojo that would be the place to go)

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl3647963905/weekend/

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:25 pm

Okay I admitted I was wrong and was going to let it go but like 4 people have tried to drive in the point so I'm just going to ask.

I SWEAR they said the theatrical run for the movie was ending in June right? Isn't that the point of all this? Or did I misread? It's going to stay in theatres 2 months after the final run?

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:05 pm

View Original PostJKun76 wrote:Okay I admitted I was wrong and was going to let it go but like 4 people have tried to drive in the point so I'm just going to ask.

I SWEAR they said the theatrical run for the movie was ending in June right? Isn't that the point of all this? Or did I misread? It's going to stay in theatres 2 months after the final run?

Edit: Nevermind, I misread this post. To answer your question, we don't know yet.
Last edited by hui43210 on Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:51 pm

View Original PostJKun76 wrote:I SWEAR they said the theatrical run for the movie was ending in June right? Isn't that the point of all this? Or did I misread? It's going to stay in theatres 2 months after the final run?

I don't think it has never been said or confirmed the theatrical run was ending in June.

I think that was just a wish from people.

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:As Gendo's Papa pointed out, 3.0 was frontloaded but didn't have a good hold at the BO, I think it immediately fell from the #1 spot on its second weekend compared to Shin which was the #1 film for five weeks straight.

It wasn't so frontloaded.

The box office of Q in the first weekend was ¥1,13 billion , while it ended the theatrical run with a box office of ¥5,26 billion.

It isn't so good like the box office of Ha (first week was ¥510 million and ended its theatrical run at ¥4 billion), but it seems pretty good.

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:26 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
View Original PostJKun76#925214 wrote:I SWEAR they said the theatrical run for the movie was ending in June right? Isn't that the point of all this? Or did I misread? It's going to stay in theatres 2 months after the final run?

I don't think it has never been said or confirmed the theatrical run was ending in June.

I think that was just a wish from people.

That's confusing but thank you.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:20 pm

Konja7 wrote:It wasn't so frontloaded.

The box office of Q in the first weekend was ¥1,13 billion , while it ended the theatrical run with a box office of ¥5,26 billion.

It isn't so good like the box office of Ha (first week was ¥510 million and ended its theatrical run at ¥4 billion), but it seems pretty good.

3.0 is still very successful but it could've done a lot better considering it opened in more theaters than 2.0 (80+ theaters vs 200+ theaters}, plus there were other factors like from the cliffhanger ending, the anticipation of 3.5 years wait, and its super secretive marketing, reflected in its big opening but the word-of-mouth was simply too mixed or even negative for it to have longer hold.

Also it was never stated Shin would end its run specifically on June, but the official words and statistics seem to imply it will lost the majority of its screens once the Last Run campaign "ends". Although some theaters will probably still keep it for the next month or two, the general hype has faded, they wouldn't bother to give it major push like this anymore so they went all-out right now when the momentum is still high.

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:52 pm

Regardless, considering Bluray of 3.333 coming out late August, 3.0+1.0 Bluray will still be quite a far away..
Also sprach Zarathustra

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:07 pm

It's in the reasonable 7-months gap range (January-August) but yeah, Shin is still far way. If it was released back in January then it could've hit the disc on September but with the theatrical date shift to March, October-December is the more realistic range.

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:25 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:It's in the reasonable 7-months gap range (January-August) but yeah, Shin is still far way. If it was released back in January then it could've hit the disc on September but with the theatrical date shift to March, October-December is the more realistic range.

One more thing is that my confusion comes from how the rest of the world has changed since 2012. 6 month box office runs haven't been a thing in the US since 2016.

Most major movies are on home media 3 months after they come out in theatres. Also for major series like One Piece and Dragon Ball and My Hero Academia the movies come to America 2-3 months after Japan now.

Even the 6 month wait for Demon Slayer was unprecedented because Aniplex likes waiting 9 months before talking about US releases and I bet, if not for Covid, and how atypical Demon Slayer did in terms of box office numbers it would have been here even sooner. Things have changed a lot in NINE years.

I didn't know that Khara still did things so old school really. I figured Evangelion was the type of series popular enough to get a faster international release. I think it was an honest mistake.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:39 am

View Original PostJKun76 wrote:I didn't know that Khara still did things so old school really. I figured Evangelion was the type of series popular enough to get a faster international release. I think it was an honest mistake.

The point of other users was that Japanese theatrical runs are often pretty long.

An anime movie could have an international release, even when its theatrical run doesn't ended. That would depend on the companies expectatives.

Kimetsu no Yaiba was still in Japanese theatres in June 2021, (even although it started in October 2020). So, the international release wasn't affected by that.

PS: The Japanese Blu-ray is the one affected by the long theatrical run. The Blu-ray of Kimetsu no Yaiba was released the 16 June 2021.

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:48 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
View Original PostJKun76#925243 wrote:I didn't know that Khara still did things so old school really. I figured Evangelion was the type of series popular enough to get a faster international release. I think it was an honest mistake.

The point of other users was that Japanese theatrical runs are often pretty long.

An anime movie could have an international release, even when its theatrical run doesn't ended. That would depend on the companies expectatives.

Kimetsu no Yaiba was still in Japanese theatres in June 2021, (even although it started in October 2020). So, the international release wasn't affected by that.

PS: The Japanese Blu-ray is the one affected by the long theatrical run. The Blu-ray of Kimetsu no Yaiba was released in 16 June 2021.

I uh...said all those things you just did. I don't think you read my post.

Edit : Or to make it more clearer if it wasn't already I wss talking about popular Japanese anime series getting theatrical releases here not long after Japan. Not blurays.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:09 pm

Shin Eva surprisingly did better than yesterday and so far it's doing just fine, pocketing around 201 million with a total of 9.38 billion yen, most people are definitely holding until Saturday since that's when the new posters will start getting distributed.

It is predicted to surpass 9.4 billion yen tomorrow and now the 46th highest-grossing Japanese film of all time, beating Detective Conan: The Fist of Blue Sapphire and Monsters, Inc. (the original tweet has an error that said it's Big Hero 6, also at this point this thread should be renamed to Shin Eva Box Office Discussion or something like that :lol: )

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”