Shin Eva - Official Social Media: 2.22 You Can (Not) Release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Shin Eva - Official Social Media: 2.22 You Can (Not) Release

Postby JoelcrNeto » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:30 am

This one doesn't seems an official artwork. But Iseki was one of the contributors: he drawing the three years old Tsubame, and Rei and Kaworu with their apparent son (who looks like Shinji).

Edit: a correction of a shameful grammatical mistake I made -o-;
Last edited by JoelcrNeto on Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:33 am

oo there's even a speedpaint! We#re so fortunate these days to get to see the masters at work.
I must have a graphic tabled for my next birthday

BTW there'a another one featuring junior!

SPOILER: Show

He rly is a perfect blend between his parents, he has Mommy's fringe & haircolor/texture & her habit of talking fast, & daddy's eyes and face shape
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Konja7 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:34 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:It was drawn by Mr Shuichi Iseki. I'm not sure if this is an official piece of artwork or if he's just toying around with the characters (probably the latter). Regardless, it's a nice drawing! This guy is a pretty good animator. I mainly associated him with DBS (he supervised an amazing episode).

Thank you for the clarification. It seems this image wasn't on the booklet.

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:This one isn't seems an official artwork. But Iseki was one of the contributors: he drawing the three years old Tsubame.

Yeah. If I'm not mistaken, he also drawn the artwork with Kaworu, Rei and the kid.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:36 am

Yeah it wasn't but that they were gonna put out all the ones that were considered but didn't make it into the book through their twitters - see also the one with Unit Two posing on a ship that was uploaded recently.

Makes me wonder how many more they got stashed away

the internet is a wonderful thing in the past we would never have seen the "leftover" illustrations

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby JoelcrNeto » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:59 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:BTW there'a another one featuring junior!

The Matsubara drawing is very pretty, better than monochromatic Sadamoto's one -- but his colored art is priceless.

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Yeah. If I'm not mistaken, he also drawn the artwork with Kaworu, Rei and the kid.

LOL, I was edited my post and i didn't see yours. You were faster than me!
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:43 am

We are really very lucky. It's really cool to see all these artists posting their drawings on Twitter. It's something that wouldn't have been possible fifteen years ago. Honestly, I don't even know if this was intended to be part of the booklet. It might just be a random drawing that Mr Shuichi Iseki made out of inertia. It's a very common thing for animators and illustrators to experiment a bit with their characters. It's nice that we can see their "side work" nowadays!

JoelcrNeto wrote:The Matsubara drawing is very pretty, better than monochromatic Sadamoto's one

I still prefer Sadamoto's illustrations for several reasons. It is mainly related to how the characters pose and the overall inventiveness in their facial expressions (plus "accessories"). That said, Matsubara comes in second place. His drawings have good proportions and I really dig the sharper look he brings to the table. This is a subjective thing, of course.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

TyroLuuki
Adam

Postby TyroLuuki » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:02 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:

Probably worth mentioning the Mari and Kaworu mini posters are signed by their respective voice actors, Maaya Sakamoto and Akira Ishida. I don't believe the ones with Rei, Asuka and Shinji/Misato were.
Sakamoto's message is: "I'm happy I got to meet Mari. Thank you very much."
Ishida's message is: "Thanks."
Kaworu and Asuka deserved better tbh

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby JoelcrNeto » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:12 am

Asuka and Rei's posters were also signed by their respective VAs:

Asuka: "Are you stupid!?"
Rei: "Thank you..."

Misato & Shinji don't have one, AFAIK.

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:I still prefer Sadamoto's illustrations for several reasons. It is mainly related to how the characters pose and the overall inventiveness in their facial expressions (plus "accessories"). That said, Matsubara comes in second place. His drawings have good proportions and I really dig the sharper look he brings to the table. This is a subjective thing, of course.

I was talking about the appearance, my bad, this was not clear. About the other aspects I don't know how to give an opinion, because we only saw 16 pages and this is too few for me to give a verdict.

I liked the facial expressions Matsubara drawing, especially Mari's.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Postby FelipeFritschF » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:37 pm

Been busy, do we have a reliable summary and/or transcription of the radio talk anywhere?

This is probably not enough:

https://tr.twipple.jp/h/c5/fe/%E9%B6%B4 ... 9D%A3.html

swagbuckking1
Adam

Postby swagbuckking1 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:47 am

I don't know if this is the correct thread to post this is but I have a translation of some highlights from the aforementioned radio talk. If the mods want to put it in it's own thread I can. It does contain slight spoilers for 3.0+1.0. I have been asked by someone else to post this here so this isn't my translation and I can't comment on the veracity of what is said. Here it is:

HIGHLIGHTS FROM ANN'S RADIO SHOW:

シンエヴァANNでしょっぱな緒方さんが薄い本の例のページについて公式が「同人誌です」と一蹴したと
本編とは関係ないと
まず言及してくれました
本当のとこは私もすごいショックだった
Radio show going on right now, Ogata says the booklet is just a doujinshi and has no relevance to the movie and it isn't canon, the staff were just drawing what they wanted.

ogtさんのラストシーンについてのコメント、すんごいオブラートに包んでくださってるけど「手前で終わってる」というのは少なからず受け入れられてない気持ちがある
Ogata talks about the last scene in a round-about-way, saying "I feel like it just ended in front of my eyes" implying she can't really accept the way it ended.

ゲンドウ「エヴァは終わらない」
ユイ「終わったの」
めちゃくちゃ笑った
Gendo's VA Tachiki says Eva will never end! And Ogata and Hayashibara say no, it already ended.

「暴走です」「好きに描いただけ」「同人誌です」「全然関係ありません」 はい
ogtさん曰く、例の絵はogtさんも驚いたらしい そして「スタッフさんに確認したところ、あれは″同人誌″であり、すべて妄想です」だそうです
Ogata hated/was shocked by the page from the booklet so much that she went to ask the staff about it and they're the ones who said it was just a doujinshi/delusions and had no relevance to the canon.

ご本人()の口から「鈴原ヒカリ」って言われるとこう、すごい
Hikari's VA calls her character Suzuhara Hikari now.

渚司令って…間違ってますよお
Kaji's VA still can't get over how Commander Nagisa in the script wasn't a typo of Commander Ikari.

リョウジ少年とケンスケの将来あるかもしれない会話よい〜〜
Kensuke's VA says he'll tell Kaji jr. about his parents when he grows up a bit more.

緒方さん
「私もですね、一番衝撃を受けたのが、なぜカヲルくんと。。。(ここからシンジの声音で)カヲルくんとお母さんが上に、僕がいるのか。。。」
Ogata: I thought the Manga was great, but what gave me the biggest shock was one of the drawings in the back of the book. Why are Kaworu-kun and... (from here on she imitates Shinji's speaking voice) Why are Kaworu-kun and mom carrying me...?

荘口さん
「22ページですね。。。」
Souguchi: You're talking about Page 22, right...

緒方さん
「そうです、これね、ちょっとだいぶ衝撃を受けて。。。で、これに対して。。。”これは。。?”って言ったら先程スタッフさんにですね、"緒方さん、これは同人誌です"って一蹴されました(笑)"オフィシャルなんですけど同人誌です、ですからこれは妄想です"って話」
Ogata: Yeah, it gave me quite a shock so I asked about it to the staff some time ago. All of them flatly brushed it off, telling me it's just a doujinshi (lol)
They said "It's officially made, but just a doujinshi. It's just fantasies/wild ideas."

「ミサトさんと加持さんの仲を取り持ってたのはケンスケだったのかなーって」
Kensuke's VA thinks he was put in charge of raising Kaji Jr. by Misato and Kaji.

鈴原ヒカリになれた!
初恋が実ったみたいな展開だよね。
Hikari's VA is happy her character's first love was realized, and she keeps calling her Suzukara Hikari.

え、左様って冬月だったの?(にわか)
Fuyutsuki's VA says he was piloting Neo-Nerv's dark wunder, it wasn't automated.

庵野監督
「これなんかもうちょっとなんとかならない?」
制作陣「今の技術じゃちょっと...」
庵野監督
「じゃあ待つ?」
Tsurumaki and Maeda had to do everything based on what Anno was feeling. If Anno wanted something and they couldn't do it with their current technology then Anno would delay the project until they could.

ほんと庵野監督気分変わるなぁ
They say Anno was very fickle and would change his mind on things a lot.

序破Q見てなくてもジ・エンド・オブ・エヴァンゲリオン見てれば面白いですよ
They say to understand Shin Eva you don't have to watch Jo-Ha-Q (aka 1.0, 2.0, 3.0), just watch End of Evangelion.

鶴巻さん
シンのときはQの前田さんみたいに、庵野さんの距離がつかめなくて。庵野さんにマッチしようと思ってるものが庵野さんには伝わらなくて。
Maeda struggled a lot working on Q, whereas Tsurumaki struggled the most working on Shin because he kept trying to match what Anno wanted but couldn't satisfy him and felt he was distanced from him/what he desired.

庵野監督の言ってたどの一瞬を切り取っても絵になるっての
Many times Anno would ask for something, they would draw it, and then he would decide he didn't like it and cut out the scene.

鶴巻監督的にはAパートがこれまでの仕事の中でキツかった
前田監督的にはQがキツかった、シン・エヴァはおもしろくやれたと
Working on the A part of this film was the hardest part of Tsurumaki's career up to now
Working on the middle of Q was the hardest part of Maeda's career up to now.

前田さんQで描いた絵、画面に出てなかったのかぁそれも見てみたいなぁ
Most of the drawings Maeda did for Q ended up being cut and not used.

やっぱりQは製作中にストーリーが二転三転してた
While working on Q they changed the story and started over from scratch over and over again.

提案ボードから始まったのか
They say at the beginning of production for 3.0+1.0, Anno just wrote a bunch of separate ideas he wanted in the movie on a whiteboard and they tried to connect them all with a plot based on that.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Konja7 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:07 pm

View Original Postswagbuckking1 wrote:シンエヴァANNでしょっぱな緒方さんが薄い本の例のページについて公式が「同人誌です」と一蹴したと
本編とは関係ないと
まず言及してくれました
本当のとこは私もすごいショックだった
Radio show going on right now, Ogata says the booklet is just a doujinshi and has no relevance to the movie and it isn't canon, the staff were just drawing what they wanted.

This confirm that the artwork on the booklet are just doujinshi/wild ideas without real relevance for the movie.

I should mention the word "canon" isn't used in the Japanese part, since that word/concept doesn't seem to exist in Japanese.

View Original Postswagbuckking1 wrote:緒方さん
Ogata: I thought the Manga was great, but what gave me the biggest shock was one of the drawings in the back of the book. Why are Kaworu-kun and... (from here on she imitates Shinji's speaking voice) Why are Kaworu-kun and mom carrying me...?

It's funny that Ogata is using Shinji's voice to call Rei as "mom".

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby BernardoCairo » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:28 pm

swagbuckking1 wrote:序破Q見てなくてもジ・エンド・オブ・エヴァンゲリオン見てれば面白いですよ
They say to understand Shin Eva you don't have to watch Jo-Ha-Q (aka 1.0, 2.0, 3.0), just watch End of Evangelion.

This makes sense in many ways. People keep debating whether NTE works as a stand-alone story or not. I would say that, in a superficial way, yes. That is, you can watch and understand what's happening on the screen. That said, if you haven't had contact with NGE yet, all intertextuality and metalanguage is automatically lost. Frankly, this is the most interesting aspect of NTE. I love how, in a number of ways, it can be seen as a commentary on the original series and its impact.
I also think the nine-year gap between Q and Shin made this movie more "independent". It's not only the conclusion to NTE's story, but also Anno's involvement with the series and, in a way, the franchise itself. The End of Evangelion is widely regarded as the best thing to come out of EVA. It is also the most popular segment of the franchise and an ending in itself. It makes sense for Shin to draw a lot from it. I've heard a lot of people say that the latest movie feels like EOE, but with less melancholy visuals.

swagbuckking1 wrote:やっぱりQは製作中にストーリーが二転三転してた
While working on Q they changed the story and started over from scratch over and over again.

Well, this settles it. I always knew that Q wasn't minutiously planned from the beginning and that Khara experimented a lot with it (probably changing its story again and again)
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

TyroLuuki
Adam

Postby TyroLuuki » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:13 pm

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote: The End of Evangelion is widely regarded as the best thing to come out of EVA. It is also the most popular segment of the franchise and an ending in itself.

I think this isn't actually the case in Japan, the TV "Omedetou" ending is the more iconic/well-known of the two. Considering this is the end of the Anno's Eva as we know it I find it interesting he puts in a lot of references to EoE but not any of the TV ending. Someone telling Shinji congratulations could have been a nice little callback to it.
Kaworu and Asuka deserved better tbh

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby BernardoCairo » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:06 pm

Well, I can't say much about that. I mean, I'm not Japanese. That said, I follow a lot of Japanese Twitter accounts. They are always talking about EOE. It's hard for me to find someone who actually writes about individual episodes of the original series (which is weird for me). I know this is just a snippet of reality, but it's what I have access to. Anyway, I'm glad to hear that episodes 25 and 26 are popular in Japan. As I said before, I truly love the original ending (I would also like Shin to reference it).
What I think is that the Japanese community is more attached to NTE than we are. They are always talking about it. It's different from the West. I get the impression that, outside of Japan, these movies are quite popular among hardcore anime fans, but not so much between casual ones (like NGE is).

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Konja7 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:26 pm

View Original Postswagbuckking1 wrote:I don't know if this is the correct thread to post this is but I have a translation of some highlights from the aforementioned radio talk. If the mods want to put it in it's own thread I can. It does contain slight spoilers for 3.0+1.0. I have been asked by someone else to post this here so this isn't my translation and I can't comment on the veracity of what is said. Here it is:

HIGHLIGHTS FROM ANN'S RADIO SHOW:

It's tricky, because these are commentaries from people who heard the radio show. Also, the english translator add its own words (like the word "canon").

These parts seem to translate the dialogue in a direct way, so it should be correct:

緒方さん

荘口さん
「22ページですね。。。」
Souguchi: You're talking about Page 22, right...

緒方さん
「そうです、これね、ちょっとだいぶ衝撃を受けて。。。で、これに対して。。。”これは。。?”って言ったら先程スタッフさんにですね、"緒方さん、これは同人誌です"って一蹴されました(笑)"オフィシャルなんですけど同人誌です、ですからこれは妄想です"って話」
Ogata: Yeah, it gave me quite a shock so I asked about it to the staff some time ago. All of them flatly brushed it off, telling me it's just a doujinshi (lol)
They said "It's officially made, but just a doujinshi. It's just fantasies/wild ideas."

That said, there are pretty weird translations. These are dialogues, but the translation doesn't exactly fit (in the second one, Tsurumaki and Maeda aren't even mentioned in the Japanese dialogue):

鶴巻さん
シンのときはQの前田さんみたいに、庵野さんの距離がつかめなくて。庵野さんにマッチしようと思ってるものが庵野さんには伝わらなくて。
Maeda struggled a lot working on Q, whereas Tsurumaki struggled the most working on Shin because he kept trying to match what Anno wanted but couldn't satisfy him and felt he was distanced from him/what he desired.

庵野監督
「これなんかもうちょっとなんとかならない?」
制作陣「今の技術じゃちょっと...」
庵野監督
「じゃあ待つ?」
Tsurumaki and Maeda had to do everything based on what Anno was feeling. If Anno wanted something and they couldn't do it with their current technology then Anno would delay the project until they could.
Last edited by Konja7 on Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:33 pm

Hahaha When i first heard there was an official statement about this, I was thinking "which butthurt fanboy bothered poor Ms Ogata about this" turns out she's the offending fangirl herself. XDD

I also had the impression that Kensuke was in contact with Misato & keeping her updated re: Ryoji. He does call Kensuke "sensei" & seems to see him as a mentor.
Does Asuka hide in the cupboard whenever he visits?

Hikari's VA being so happy for her is uber cute

Also, seems like Anno is the kind of writer who starts with individual scenes/snippets.

It was fun to hear about Tsurumaki's and Maeda's wildly differing experiences XDD

Well at least their hard work paid off, part A is very pretty looking

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Konja7 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:42 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Hahaha When i first heard there was an official statement about this, I was thinking "which butthurt fanboy bothered poor Ms Ogata about this" turns out she's the offending fangirl herself. XDD

And she bothered the poor staff members about this. :D

View Original PostKendrix wrote:It was fun to hear about Tsurumaki's and Maeda's wildly differing experiences XDD

I question a little the translations related to Tsurumaki and Maeda, since these aren't really exact. These are dialogues in Japanese, but the translations seem to be conclusions.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:21 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
View Original PostKendrix#925322 wrote:

I question a little the translations related to Tsurumaki and Maeda, since these aren't really exact. These are dialogues in Japanese, but the translations seem to be conclusions.

Yeah I'd like a 2nd opinion to be sure. Sometimes these early translations kind be a bit misleading.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:36 pm

View Original Postswagbuckking1 wrote:I don't know if this is the correct thread to post this is but I have a translation of some highlights from the aforementioned radio talk. If the mods want to put it in it's own thread I can. It does contain slight spoilers for 3.0+1.0. I have been asked by someone else to post this here so this isn't my translation and I can't comment on the veracity of what is said. Here it is:

シンエヴァANNでしょっぱな緒方さんが薄い本の例のページについて公式が「同人誌です」と一蹴したと本編とは関係ないとまず言及してくれました
本当のとこは私もすごいショックだった

Right at the beginning, Ogata dismisses the drawings in the new booklet as just fanart and as having no bearing on the actual film. She was surprised herself at some of the contents.

ogtさんのラストシーンについてのコメント、すんごいオブラートに包んでくださってるけど「手前で終わってる」というのは少なからず受け入れられてない気持ちがある

OGT [Ogata] comments on the final scene, "They really tried to cushion the blow, but I feel like I'm having a very hard time accepting that just like that, it's over."

ゲンドウ「エヴァは終わらない」
ユイ「終わったの」
めちゃくちゃ笑った

Gendo: "Evangelion is not over!"
Yui: "It's over."
Friggin' hilarious.

「暴走です」「好きに描いただけ」「同人誌です」「全然関係ありません」 はい
ogtさん曰く、例の絵はogtさんも驚いたらしい そして「スタッフさんに確認したところ、あれは″同人誌″であり、すべて妄想です」だそうです

"It's kind of crazy." "They're just drawing what they want." "It's just fanart." "It doesn't have anything to do with the movies." Mmkay.
Listing to OGT, she was pretty surprised at the art in the booklet. Plus she said, "When I went to ask about it, they said that it was just fanart, that it was just whatever they wanted to draw".

ご本人()の口から「鈴原ヒカリ」って言われるとこう、すごい

"Wow, it's so cool hearing the VA call their character "Suzuhara Hikari". [Instead of Horaki, I assume?]

渚司令って…間違ってますよお

"There's no way 'Commander Nagisa' wasn't a typo!"

リョウジ少年とケンスケの将来あるかもしれない会話よい〜〜

"It was nice hearing about what might happen in the future with Kensuke and Ryouji Jr.~~"

Might do some more later, there's a lot and this is dense. I don't want to rush this, and it's worth doing right. The later comments by the directors and stuff I'm really looking forward to digging into.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Konja7 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:55 am

Thank you very much for the translations Nuclear Lunchbox.

It should confusing, since these are commentaries about the Radio Show without context.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”