Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:04 am

To be more specific, it is like a summary of the movie with the characters saying their iconic lines.
So, stay away!
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:06 am

Terrence Malick Voiceover: "Khara, always the urge to watch your new spoiler-filled trailers wrestle inside me."

I will avoid this. Really trying to keep most of the movie a surprise until I see it.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:40 am

its basically a compilation of half the big emotional moments to make everyone want to rewatch it/ go see the new, slightly polished version
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:28 pm

View Original PostZethus Thorne wrote:I know someone who knows someone about who may have the rights to Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 in France

I believe it's All The Anime.

They re-released 1.11 a few years back and are releasing NGE this year, wouldn't surprise me in the slightest for France and the UK. Damn well hope so anyway, they are doing amazing with their releases.

Xenoblade
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xenoblade » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:07 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:its basically a compilation of half the big emotional moments to make everyone want to rewatch it/ go see the new, slightly polished version

Watched it for fun. Definitely a spoilery trailer and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone going in blind. :emogendo:

The machine translation from Japanese to English was brilliant. I've removed a couple spoiler-adjacent words here to keep you all spoiler-free but give you a taste:

In other words, write the world and start the frog

Poetry.
Don't be.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:00 am

From Shin social media thread:
EVANGELION: 3.333 is coming to Blu-ray in UHD format on August 25, while the previously cancelled Q: 3.333+Shin screening will be revived as a special event in June 27 on Shinjuku Wald 9. Another stage greeting will also be held prior to the screening.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:14 am

so at least 3.333 will be on the intertubes in the foreseeable future
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:23 am

Guess we can expect TUAT in September then.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:03 pm

Yay, 3.333. Genuinely excited for that.

God, it's been three months since Shin released? How is time passing by so fast and so slow at the same time?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:22 pm

Fingers crossed there's a big international release announcement made at Anime Expo in early July (if attendance doesn't drop sharply in Japan that should be when 3.0+1.0 could hit 10 billion yen) and I am thinking August could be a prime month for Thrice to start showing up in other countries.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:08 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I am thinking August could be a prime month for Thrice to start showing up in other countries.

A Prime month, you say? :kaji_nya:

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:56 pm

baldur wrote:A Prime month, you say?

Lol. That's super unintended. Sorry.

I'm one of the few people here who doesn't think streaming globally is how the film is going to be released outside Japan. At least not at first. Probably not until 2022.

My thinking has long been that with Khara so dead-set on the movie making 10 billion at the box office - all their recent actions, releasing a 3.0+1.01 cut, exclusive theater only manga, now a new double feature run, have been deliberate pushes to get to 10 bill and it looks like they'll succeed - that they must also have an internal goal on how many physical copies of the film they want to sell. IE. "We want to sell 3 million copies of the film before the end of the year." While piracy is always an issue - the day the blu-ray is released there will be online torrents that evening - any picture perfect quality version of the film being available online anywhere in the world that could risk cutting into domestic sales BEFORE a home video release in Japan seems unlikely to me.

So lol, no, I don't think the movie will be coming to Amazon Prime in August. I was thinking more along the lines of a small (or medium) theatrical run in certain countries.

But I could be wrong.

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:35 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:
View Original Postbaldur wrote:A Prime month, you say?

While piracy is always an issue - the day the blu-ray is released there will be online torrents that evening - any picture perfect quality version of the film being available online anywhere in the world that could risk cutting into domestic sales BEFORE a home video release in Japan seems unlikely to me.

So lol, no, I don't think the movie will be coming to Amazon Prime in August. I was thinking more along the lines of a small (or medium) theatrical run in certain countries.

I don't know man, IMO if someone is going to find a way to pirate a movie they were going to do it anyways. I don't expect a streaming release until after the physical drops either just because Japan still charges $60-$80 for Blu Rays of new movies and the amount of trouble you can get in for pirating makes it not worth it for a lot of people but if someone is buying the movie it's because they want to own it not because they can't find it online.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:53 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:
View Original Postbaldur wrote:A Prime month, you say?

I'm one of the few people here who doesn't think streaming globally is how the film is going to be released outside Japan. At least not at first. Probably not until 2022.

Well I definitely agree with you on that, especially with theaters opening again across the globe. I also doubt they would want to risk what happened with Demon Slayer where it leaked on PSN three months before the BD release.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:48 pm

JKun76 wrote:if someone is buying the movie it's because they want to own it not because they can't find it online.

That is true. I spent a buck on Evangelion's Blu-Rays. I'm a big fan of the series so I'm tempted to buy them (the same goes with Sadamoto's manga). Sure, I could get them for free online. I simply don't want to. I feel like if you really want to buy a movie, the pirated version won't stop you. Blu-Rays are expensive and treated as collector's material for some reason. Nowadays, if you want to casually watch a movie in HD or UHD, you can count on streaming. If you want to cheap out, you can buy a DVD. Blu-Rays are in this awkward position in which they only appeal to core audiences (people who were already fans of the product before buying the disc). Some analysts consider this format to be a failure that never really took off. I'm not sure about that. In my eyes, it managed to gather a niche audience after all. I like it. There's something special about owning the physical media of a movie you like. I think it came out too early (in the mid-2000s, most people didn't even own TVs capable of displaying HD footage) and when it was ready to take off, streaming stole its spotlight.

Anyway, as I mentioned in the subforum, I also believe that the movie will not be released in streaming this year. I'm expecting it to come out in November or December (in Japan, that is). It makes sense considering the movie's overall success and what happened to its predecessor in 2012. When that happens, the international release will start to be prioritized and it will only be a matter of time before we can officially watch the film (probably around next year, or something).

hui43210 wrote:I also doubt they would want to risk what happened with Demon Slayer where it leaked on PSN three months before the BD release

Sony is always doing stupid things like this. I remember when they gave us the wrong game on PS Plus and everyone downloaded it (including me lol).
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:44 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I don't think the movie will be coming to Amazon Prime in August. I was thinking more along the lines of a small (or medium) theatrical run in certain countries.

I agree, actually, I just thought the pun setup was too good.

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:55 am

While I'm not to this point just quite yet, I'm VERY VERY SLOWLY GETTING CLOSE TO IT!!! xD
https://youtu.be/zPpNHYqLN5c
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:02 pm

View Original Postxenosaga wrote:Khara just put out another trailer that seems to be super spoilerfilled....

Nuclear Lunchbox wrote:It's super spoilery. Like, if you are trying to remain unspoiled, do not watch this trailer. It's all the previous post-release trailers on steroids.

JoelcrNeto wrote:To be more specific, it is like a summary of the movie with the characters saying their iconic lines.
So, stay away!

God damn it why they gotta tempt us so hard. Am I wrong for thinking this post-release cycle is suuuuper dickish? Like I know Japanese theatrical releases usually do this, dropping spoilers in accolades trailers and shit, but god damn it's not like EVA isn't popular outside of Japan. And Khara knows this, they let Netflix have the US streaming rights to NGE. It just feels like they're shitting on international fans.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:10 pm

Eh, I know the spoilers in promo are getting worse but thinking they're doing it for the sole reason of pissing off overseas fans is just reaching, the trailers are specifically aimed to JP audience and has nothing to do outside that.

The latest one isn't exactly a "trailer" in traditional sense but a continuation of 「これまでのヱヴァンゲリヲン」summary video, same style, structure, and music etc. I have no idea why they put it out this early but I guess it marks the end of the line for this film's theatrical run?
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:19 pm

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:The latest one isn't exactly a "trailer" in traditional sense but a continuation of 「これまでのヱヴァンゲリヲン」summary video, same style, structure, and music etc. I have no idea why they put it out this early but I guess it marks the end of the line for this film's theatrical run?

Not unusual in Japan. Hell, the summary trailer for 3.0 came the day after it started in Japan.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”