EVA games ranked by filthy gaijin playability

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

EVA games ranked by filthy gaijin playability

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:38 pm

AKA: I have no idea what those squiggly lines mean, can I still play this game?

I've only played a few EVA games but regardless of quality, I'd rank em like this-

Fully playable:
Battle Orchestra/Portable (PS2/PSP)
3nd Impact (PSP)
EVA Dawn (Mobile, actually has an official, if very jank, English translation)
Angel Raising Project/Shito Ikusei (WonderSwan, one of the rare EVA games with a fan translation)

A bit tricky:
Neon Genesis Evangelion (N64)
Neon Genesis Evangelion 2nd Impression (Saturn)

Difficult:
Neon Genesis Evangelion [1st Impression] (Saturn)

Impossible:
Evangelion Jo (PS2/PSP)
Neon Genesis Evangelion 2 (PS2/PSP)
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: EVA games ranked by filthy gaijin playability

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:07 pm

NGE2 and I think also Jo have at least partially translated playthroughs on youtube, so if you just want to experience the story, not all is lost.
And, from personal experience, Dawn's UI is intuitive enough that even knowing fuckall of the language it is perfectly playable in basically all of the modes
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:49 am

Girlfriend of Steel 1, Girlfriend of Steel 2, Ayanami Raising Project, Petit Eva and Shinji ikari Raising Project have fan translations too. IIRC only Petit Eva runs on an emulator (Nitendo DS), the rest have PC versions, but I'd say only GoS 1 is worth your time...

1st Impression actually has a DVD version, and it was machine-translated here: thread/20831/Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-EpisodeX-25-minute-OVA/

Ditto for 2nd impression, same channel. One guy told me the machine translation was unreliable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUUydpmCnlQ&t=1875s

NGE2 is still being translated, and Reichu did those English play-throughs Blockio mentioned.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:47 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote: NGE2 is still being translated, and Reichu did those English play-throughs Blockio mentioned.

Yeah I really wanna check out both 2 and Jo, but hasn't the translation for 2 been in the works for like 3 years now?
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:50 am

Are you counting crossover games and such too? Because one of the Super Robot Wars games (Super Robot Wars V) featured Rebuild and got an official English language release in...Taiwan I think it was. There are a few other SRW games with Eva that are Japan only but have guides and such online that translate their entire story.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”