Evangelion 3.0+1.01

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Evangelion 3.0+1.01

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:24 am

I see the new manga is available online in places, anyone know if it's wise to read if you've not seen the film and are avoiding spoilers?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:32 am

There's nothing that spoils anything in Shin, probably because it's mainly a prequel to Q. There might be one or two things that could be considered foreshadowing, but that wouldn't mean anything to you without watching Shin first. Keep in mind, though, I say this as someone who's actually seen Shin, so perhaps my opinion is tainted.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:48 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:There's nothing that spoils anything in Shin, probably because it's mainly a prequel to Q. There might be one or two things that could be considered foreshadowing, but that wouldn't mean anything to you without watching Shin first. Keep in mind, though, I say this as someone who's actually seen Shin, so perhaps my opinion is tainted.

I would say there is a spoiler about Asuka. It isn't a big thing, but it could change your perspective for some of her actions in Q.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:56 am

I don't think that means it spoils anything about Shin, though. Unless you feel like a particular fact was meant to be revealed in Shin and only in Shin, the most the manga does is provide some additional context to Asuka's character and motivations in Q. The manga certainly hints at some aspects of Asuka and her motivations, but I don't think it spoils any moments or character beats in Shin.

EDIT: Hold the phone, there's actually a major Mari moment in the manga. I retract my opinion, this contains a potential spoiler and should not be read.

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:23 am

So do we know what changes were done for 1.01?
Also sprach Zarathustra

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:33 am

There might be a couple minor shot angle changes, and a couple places where the coloring may have been different. I also thought I noticed some extra reaction shots in the second and third quarters of the film, though these may just be things I didn't remember from my first two viewings. There's some mocap in one portion of the film that also looked a little cleaner, though perhaps I've just gotten used to it.

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:32 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:There might be a couple minor shot angle changes, and a couple places where the coloring may have been different. I also thought I noticed some extra reaction shots in the second and third quarters of the film, though these may just be things I didn't remember from my first two viewings. There's some mocap in one portion of the film that also looked a little cleaner, though perhaps I've just gotten used to it.

Thank you. No changes to "that" particular scene from the trailer I guess?
Also sprach Zarathustra

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:36 am

That is correct, it looks as janky as ever. Though as I've discussed, it's possible the jankiness is there for a reason, to represent something about the scene itself. (Or it just looks janky.) :rolleyes:

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:45 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:That is correct, it looks as janky as ever. Though as I've discussed, it's possible the jankiness is there for a reason, to represent something about the scene itself. (Or it just looks janky.) :rolleyes:

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar lol.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:46 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:According to this thread on twitter, screenings of Evangelion 3.0+1.01 at several theaters are already selling out. While I have concerns (pandemic) it does look like this is gonna give the movie a final boost at the domestic box office.
SPOILER: Show

Translation: United Cinema Toshimaen The new version of Shineva from the 12th will be screened twice, both of which are already sold out!

Also, according to the @eigarankingnews Twitter account (they've been tweeting how much the film has made daily since release but they do tweet images that could be considered spoilers) some theaters will be screening the film up to five times a day and a lot of the showings are/will be back on IMAX.

Just FYI all theaters in Tokyo were sold out on the opening release on Saturday even though tickets went on sale on Saturday at midnight.

I'm equally curious to hear all news of the catalogued changes.
Oh, the clock is ticking out

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:29 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Thanks Archer.
I've been able to remain unspoiled on the majority of the movie but I do know about the village and I've known about it for so long I don't even consider it one anymore but it certainly is. Lol.

Uh-oh. Gendo's Papa knows about the village. You are sentenced to spend the mandatory 3 days in the spoiler section for knowing one, singular, minor spoiler-y thing. :shifty:

Soon he'll be posting about Why did you even click on this? You know better.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:03 am

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Uh-oh. Gendo's Papa knows about the village. You are sentenced to spend the mandatory 3 days in the spoiler section for knowing one, singular, minor spoiler-y thing.

Nooo!! Okay okay, I also know the final act is just two cats meowing at each for 40 minutes but I'm really REALLY trying to stay unspoiled on the film overall!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:20 am

^ That final act hits harder every time I see it imagine myself seeing it.

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:47 pm

Hmm, I guess I might want to stop checking even the "non-spoiler" side if we're talking around spoilers this closely.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:32 pm

There was only one spoiler referenced. The rest of it’s just goofy stuff we made up. But, yeah. It’s probably a good idea to tone down on the spoiler talk.

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:46 pm

Thank you for your consideration. =)

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:19 pm

I really need a counterpart to this post but on the spoiler area! (to lazy to start it myself)

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:22 am

1.01 adds a "Gainax bounce" to one shot of Mari in Avant1.
Really.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”