Shin Eva - Official Social Media: 2.22 You Can (Not) Release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Re: Shin Eva - Official Social Media: 2.22 You Can (Not) Release

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:53 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:that is such a good catch!
obviously the parallel is more explicit in ep 24 with the "You betrayed me!" line

I didn't spot THIs shot, but it showed up on twitter:
SPOILER: Show

Obviously a very blatant visual parallel to the conversation between Shinji & Kaji in 2.0, perhaps underlining that they had a similar relationship.

I only just realized that Kaworu wasn't actually in those flashback scenes with Kaji.
Kaworu is just switching places with characters in Kaji's memories during the instrumentality. When Kaworu has the NERV commander suit on, he is taking Gendo's place in that memory and when he is in that red water purification facility memory, he is switching places with Shinji.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Konja7 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:56 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:I only just realized that Kaworu wasn't actually in those flashback scenes with Kaji.
Kaworu is just switching places with characters in Kaji's memories during the instrumentality. When Kaworu has the NERV commander suit on, he is taking Gendo's place in that memory and when he is in that red water purification facility memory, he is switching places with Shinji.

There is a parallel, but Kaworu isn't just switching places with characters in Kaji's memories.

Kaworu is called Commander Nagisa by Kaji. So, Kaworu likely used the Commander suit at some point.

Not to mention that Kaji is directly speaking with Kaworu in these moments (Kaji doesn't think he is talking with Gendo or Shinji).

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:59 am

EVANGELION: 3.333 is coming to Blu-ray in UHD format on August 25, while the previously cancelled Q: 3.333+Shin screening will be revived as a special event in June 27 on Shinjuku Wald 9. Another stage greeting will also be held prior to the screening.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:16 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Kaworu is called Commander Nagisa by Kaji. So, Kaworu likely used the Commander suit at some point.

Until this part is expanded upon in some spin off or explained in Complete records collection I'm going to assume that Kaworu is just switching places with Gendo in the memory and that further analysis on "Commander Nagisa" is reading too much into it, especially now that I've seen Kaworu switching places with Shinji in a memory that Kaworu could have never been a part of.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:19 am

Uh, I think it was already mentioned in one of the booklet interviews that "at some point Kaworu actually was the commander"

I don't see why else Kaji would address him that way or why they would talk like they know reach other.

For Kaji to be so prominent in Kaworu's memory they must've been close during the early days of the timeskip.

The shot doesn't suggest that they're in the same place - the railings aren't there. They're just standing in similar positions for the sake of parallelism; They could be in any place from which you can see the sky.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Konja7 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:22 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Until this part is expanded upon in some spin off or explained in Complete records collection I'm going to assume that Kaworu is just switching places with Gendo in the memory and that further analysis on "Commander Nagisa" is reading too much into it, especially now that I've seen Kaworu switching places with Shinji in a memory that Kaworu could have never been a part of.

I really doubt a conversation between Kaji and Gendo would develop this way:

Kaji: That's why you chose him and listed his name in the Book of Life.
Kaworu: Thank you. You saved me too, Ryo-chan.
Kaji: It was an honor, Commander Nagisa.
Kaworu: Please no, Ryo-chan. Just call me "Kaworu" already.
Kaji: Not just yet, Commander Nagisa.

Also, Kaji knows he is speaking with Kaworu (in the present):

Kaji: "Nagisa" is the shore, the interstice between sea and land; the 1st Angel, who becomes the 13th. A name that spins the thread of humanity together. It suits you well
Last edited by Konja7 on Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:23 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:EVANGELION: 3.333 is coming to Blu-ray in UHD format on August 25,

So clearly Shin will come later than that. And right now I don't see streaming coming before BD release, myself.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:29 am

3.333 has a 7-month gap between theatrical and home video which is the standard, so Shin probably won't come until November or December, the fastest.

Also it will have 2 discs, one for standard Blu-ray and the other one is UHD.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby BernardoCairo » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:00 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:3.333 has a 7-month gap between theatrical and home video which is the standard, so Shin probably won't come until November or December, the fastest.

For starters, I must say that this news is excellent. I'm really excited to see the differences between 3.33 and 3.333 by myself.
Now, about Shin, I'm also expecting it to release in November or December (in Japan, that is). It makes sense considering the movie's overall success and what happened to its predecessor in 2012. When that eventually happens, the international release will begin to be prioritized and it will only be a matter of time until we can officially watch the film (probably around next year, or something).
As for the screening, it's funny to see how Shin's enormous success changed the landscape in many ways. It's nice to see that this idea is materializing. With all these "gimmicks", I'm sure the movie can hit the 10 billion yen mark.
Last edited by BernardoCairo on Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

Postby JupiterCallisto » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:33 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:
View Original PostGhostlyOcam#925044 wrote:3.333 has a 7-month gap between theatrical and home video which is the standard, so Shin probably won't come until November or December, the fastest.

For starters, I must say that this news is excellent. I'm really excited to see the differences between 3.33 and 3.333 by myself.

Did someone tell you there were major alterations? All they did was change the coloring in some scenes and the designs of the plug suits to match what Anno wanted in TUAT.

The biggest reason for this release was that it was upscaled to look better on IMAX. It's not worth TUAT being pushed back further at all.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:12 am

View Original PostJKun76 wrote:All they did was change the coloring in some scenes and the designs of the plug suits to match what Anno wanted in TUAT.

The biggest reason for this release was that it was upscaled to look better on IMAX.

Is there a confirmation anywhere that this is indeed just an upscale, and not a remaster at 4K resolution? Also, is there a source for the statement that all that was changed was coloring and plugsuit design?

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby BernardoCairo » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:45 am

JKun76 wrote:Did someone tell you there were major alterations? All they did was change the coloring in some scenes and the designs of the plug suits to match what Anno wanted in TUAT.

I'm not expecting major alterations. I honestly want to see the minute changes they've made hahaha!
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

TyroLuuki
Adam

Postby TyroLuuki » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:06 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:a memory that Kaworu could have never been a part of.

Kaworu is shown visiting Kaji's watermelon patch in 3.0, there's no reason not to assume Kaji took him there and to the marine facility in the early part of the timeskip. Kaworu may have even planted that little tree next to his piano due to Kaji's influence.
Kaworu and Asuka deserved better tbh

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:27 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Is there a confirmation anywhere that this is indeed just an upscale, and not a remaster at 4K resolution? Also, is there a source for the statement that all that was changed was coloring and plugsuit design?

There was a commentary by Ryusuke Hikawa published on the official site which is a goldmine if you love nerdy technical details.

I haven't seen the thing for obvious reasons, but the piece also mentioned some camera angle changes, among other things.

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

Postby JupiterCallisto » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:28 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:
View Original PostJKun76#925055 wrote:All they did was change the coloring in some scenes and the designs of the plug suits to match what Anno wanted in TUAT.

The biggest reason for this release was that it was upscaled to look better on IMAX.

Is there a confirmation anywhere that this is indeed just an upscale, and not a remaster at 4K resolution? Also, is there a source for the statement that all that was changed was coloring and plugsuit design?

I use upscale and remaster almost the same because companies do so all the time so I can't tell the difference.

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... &sandbox=1

Here's a detailed list of changes from the official Evangelion website. Scene Color Alteration and Plug suit changes. That's it.

Edit : Got Ninja'd but mine is in English and you replied to me so I'll keep it up.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:37 am

Also the WILLE logo was added on the crashed VTOL at Terminal Dogma - the same VTOL used by Kaji to stop 3I, it has the same logo as shown in the flashback in Shin Eva; there are reports that some character lines were changed at specific points.
Last edited by JoelcrNeto on Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

Postby JupiterCallisto » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:52 am

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:Also the WILLE logo was added on the crashed VTOL at Terminal Dogma - the same VTOL used by Kaji to stop 3I, he has the same logo as shown in the flashback in Shin Eva; there are reports that some character lines were changed at specific points.

This sounds very George Lucas-Esque and I really don't like that.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:57 am

Maybe he thought the helicopter alone would be enough for people to piece it together but decided to make it clearer when they didn't

in any case the helicopter itself was already there so its not necessarily a big retcon
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:59 am

Hot diggity goddamn. So they originally mastered the film at 1280, and now they've remastered it to 2K and are upscaling to 4K? I guess that actually makes sense. Even Disney's modern CG films are only finished at 2K. If that VTOL change had been in the original, we'd almost certainly have had more immediate speculation about where it came from and who'd been flying it!

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:02 am

In fairness, the recent Khara radio program actually confirmed they're aware of the infamous animation error in 3.33 (Shinji's missing choker in a close-up shot) and they weren't able to do anything for years for some technical reason, so an updated version was inevitable at some point which turns out to be 3.333 that has the fix and then some.

The project started in 2018 so I'm not sure if it has anything to do with Shin being pushed back repeatedly aside from COVID.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”