Netflix English Dub Discussion

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Netflix English Dub Discussion

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:06 pm

Well, we have the power to changte that by pointing at the tweets every time someone brings it up
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:58 pm

Honestly, the idea (whether peddled by AWL or ADV) that the version on Netflix is the exact same Gainax script that AWL encountered back in 2001 assumes too much for my liking. It assumes that Gainax kept good records of their production and distribution materials, and it also assumes that Gainax actually handed all that stuff over to Khara once they bought NGE from them. None of that rings believable for me. Gainax couldn’t find the original camera negatives to Ep 16 for their 2003 Renewal releases of NGE to save their dying studio, so them keeping a foreign translation of their old scripts in a vault is highly unlikely. Also, Gainax kept what surviving production materials they had from Khara even after the rights acquisition, such as animation cels and key frame art, and illegally sold them to collectors without Khara’s consent. Even if the in-house 2001 English translated script of EoE somehow survived Gainax’s impressively incompetent “curation,” there’s a small chance that they kept it from Khara and sold it to a collector sometime back in 2015 or later.

None of this is meant to call AWL a liar or imply that she’s otherwise dishonest. She’s honestly been the focus of so much hate that she’s been through enough already. Whatever you think she’s at fault for doing, she’s already paid for that 1000 times over. But I really doubt that the dub used on Netflix had anything to do with whatever AWL might be misremembering from way back in 2001. I know I can’t remember every single word of a document I read 20 years ago, so I don’t hold her to the those impossible standards either.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:15 pm

Not necessarily dub talk but:

Saw the Blu-ray.com forum on the GKids release - still waiting for news on that - point out that starting August 26 NGE is going to start airing on TV in France. Maybe it has aired elsewhere in the world since but is this the first time NGE has been broadcast (outside Japan) since Netflix acquired it?

I found the website and checked - it's only listed if you look at the site in French, not English - but yep, starting the night of 26 Août 2021 at 21h10 (9:10pm) after an episode of DragonballZ will be four episodes of NGE. My French ain't so hot but it looks like it's the first 4 eps.

https://www.mangas.fr/

We know Netflix paid big bucks for an exclusivity on streaming but they'd also want to keep it off broadcast to prevent competition and would pay for those rights as well. It's been over 2 years since the series premiered on Netflix (time is speeding up... i don't like it) and since contracts usually (not always) are in windows of 2 years, 5 years or 10 years it would make sense things would lapse if Netflix didn't pay to renew.

Is anyone aware of the original series being broadcast in any other countries since Summer 2019?

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:47 am

BTW, I saw this tweet by Kanemitsu the other day and it seems the relative dearth of translated on-screen text is indeed a Netflix limitation.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”