Hideaki Anno Exhibition to be held in October

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Hideaki Anno Exhibition to be held in October

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:17 pm

It seems an exhibition about Hideaki Anno's television and film catalogue (including his four live-action films: LOVE&POP, Shiki-Jitsu, Cutie Honey, and Shin Godzilla) will be held from October to December at Japan's National Art Center.

Featured works will be:

• Aim for the Top! Gunbuster (1988–1989)
  • Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water (1990–1991)
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion (1995–1996)
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth (1997)
  • The End of Evangelion (1997)
  • Love & Pop (1998)
  • Kare Kano (1998–1999)
  • Shiki-Jitsu (2000)
  • Cutie Honey (2004)
  • Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone (2007)
  • Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance (2009)
  • Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo (2012)
  • Shin Godzilla (2016)
  • Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time (2021)
No further information seems to be available at this time.

Offical Website
Offical Twitter Account

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Hideaki Anno Exhibition to be held in October

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:43 pm

oooo, this sounds very promising
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:44 pm

Very interesting. I wonder if there's any chance that Shin Ultraman will land up on that list?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:04 pm

Yoooo sick! Gunbuster never gets any love as of late! Hoping we also get more production materials from Nadia and early NGE stuff, New Theatrical stuff as well.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:57 am

Could I suggest putting this in the "Related People" subforum? Just so it's maybe easier to find.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:06 am

^A good idea, probably.

Anyway, putting this here:
A translated list of films that have supposedly influenced Anno. There's a bunch of interesting omissions (CCA, anything Miyazaki, also honestly 2001/Kubrick who I'm convinced has influenced Anno at least somewhat, ) and interesting names-strangest for me is the inclusion of literally every Roger Moore Bond movie and a simultaneous lack of On Her Majesty's Secret Service (what with its stumbling attempt at making Bond into a bit of an actual character) or even the Connery ones (certainly better than most of what Moore did, IMHO).Or maybe I just really dislike Moore's films more than most people do. Cool to see Alien there, though. Of course there's also a few expected movies-the '54 Godzilla, Andromeda Strain, The Battle of Okinawa etc.

Supposedly there's also a bunch of TV shows in that graph of influences, but they're as of yet untranslated, at least to the best of my knowledge.

Edit: Actually, come to think of it, this Moore Bond love shown here practically confirms the whole "Kaji is inspired by Bond" schtick, which I guess wasn't something that really needed to be confirmed anyway, but the really interesting fact is that Kaji was then most likely inspired more by Moore's interpretation of the character than Connery's or Lazenby's or hell, even Dalton's.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:14 am

Thread moved to suggested subfórum.
By the way, it's an interesting influence list. There's one Miyazaki's work I spoted there: "Conan: the Future Boy" (未来少年コナン Mirai Shōnen Konan).
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:53 am

JoelcrNeto wrote: There's one Miyazaki's work I spoted there: "Conan: the Future Boy" (未来少年コナン, Mirai Shōnen Konan).

Well, like I said, there's also a bunch of TV shows, which were untranslated at the moment of writing, but remain so no longer! (Still, a complete absence of a single Miyazaki film is...strange, considering the dude's importance to the anime landscape and Anno's having worked directly under him.)

Anyway, the TV shows (which are all for some reason named anime):
SPOILER: Show

Pretty much almost entirely "nerdy" stuff here. Not that I necessarily dislike that, it's just an observation-considering the more abstract and weird parts of Anno's oeuvre it's quite weird that there's not many similarly weird influences listed, even though he is indeed ultimately a big geek/otaku. Interesting to note the absence of the Sailor Moon TV show, which IIRC was something Anno originally wanted to emulate when making Eva or Revolutionary Girl Utena which has a couple of pretty direct references and callbacks in NTE. Unless maybe there was some idea that the influence list couldn't go past the '80s? I also remember, for example, Anno calling Victory Gundam his favorite Gundam show, but this is also clearly missing. (Also lol at the inclusion of Tom & Jerry.)

Also a bunch of manga influences:
SPOILER: Show

Put the influences into spoiler tabs because I couldn't figure out how to link to Twitter without showing other parts of the thread, which obviously clutters the post somewhat.
Last edited by Zusuchan on Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:29 am

In regards to the absence of things like Sailor Moon and Victory Gundam, I get the impression that the list focuses primarily on works before Anno officially became a director with Gunbuster in 1988. There's not a single piece of work past 1985 in fact.

It also doesn't include anything he actually worked on, hence no Nausica or CCA. He even provided some key animation for Sailor Moon so that rules it out again. Also, Utena came 2 years after NTE, so it would not have been an influence on the original show at least.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:20 am

Surprised Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey isn't in that list. That film is all over the middle section of You Can (Not) Redo. Particularly in all the scenes in Shinji's red & white "bedroom".

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:23 pm

Anno has often stated 2001 not being an influence, and apparently he hadn't even seen it before NGE.
Visual resemblances cpuld come from other staff members too.

As for Miyazaki's films, Anno used to be vocal about the films not showing Miyazaki's true potential. He loved the Nausicaa manga to death though. If manga influences were listed, it'd be there. He even went as far as saying NGE was just his Nausicaa, something like that.

I'm sure I got that stuff here.
https://www.gwern.net/otaku
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:07 am

hui:Your ideas about the influences only being works before Anno became a director and didn't work on is logical and explains some otherwise baffling absences. With Utena, I did mean it had direct callbacks and references in NTE/Rebuild, not in the original show or EoE.

kuribo:There's a list of manga influences too that does not actually have the Nausicaä manga on it. And even though I remember Anno saying Miyazaki's films aren't "Miyazaki enough" and preferring his storyboards or something like that, the old man's obviously still been an enormous influence on Anno, even if he'd like to deny that.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:35 am

Wow, that's surprising. Don't know what's going on with that.

Btw, do you have a link to the manga stuff? I'm guessing he'd have stuff like Mazinger and Devilman on it?

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:23 am

^ The list of manga is on this Zusuchan post.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:42 pm

Thank you :)

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”