Shin Eva - Official Social Media: 2.22 You Can (Not) Release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Xenoblade
Lilith

Re: Shin Eva - Official Social Media: 2.22 You Can (Not) Release

Postby Xenoblade » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:55 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Little disappointed that Khara didn't go even more crazy with the titles and release something like 3.333 + 1.111 in the theaters.

Give it a few years and they'll re-release with a title like that in theatres for sure.

Don't be.

bogusman
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby bogusman » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:54 am

Anyway, i haven't heard about anything new from the theater aside from the manga and booklets. I thought they'll feature some refinement on several part the movie or something.
Yea...

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:20 pm

View Original Postbogusman wrote:Anyway, i haven't heard about anything new from the theater aside from the manga and booklets. I thought they'll feature some refinement on several part the movie or something.

Nuke-kun saw it yesterday and said in the Rebuild section that aside a couple of changes of angles of camera and some shots being prettier, there weren't any substantial changes.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:16 pm

There might also have been one or two extra reaction shots of characters' faces in a few scenes, but this is something I'm not sure of. It's entirely possible I'm misremembering what shots were or were not there the previous two times I saw the film. Without being able to compare things directly, I can't speak with any kind of authority-- all I know for sure is that it's still as enjoyable to me, and there might have been one or two things prettied up a bit.

bogusman
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby bogusman » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:55 pm

Thx guys @Elmariachi & @Nuke
Yea...

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:45 am

[Booklet Outtake]

We want to show you some of the art that was cut from the #ShinEvaBooklet now being distributed in theaters due to limitations on the number of pages we could include.

From the Studio Khara digital department:

#ShinEva Now in Theaters

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:54 am

would be a waste otherwise.

i love the tiny Asuka doing the exact same pose in the foreground.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby BernardoCairo » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:35 am

Kendrix wrote:i love the tiny Asuka doing the exact same pose in the foreground.

It's cute and funny at the same time hahaha!

I like the use of "Shikinami's pose" in NTE and its materials. It kinda reminds me of Soryu's one, but slightly different (less stylish, but more imposing).
That's basically how I feel about these characters in general. You may notice some similarities while realizing how very different they are.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby JoelcrNeto » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:43 am

khara uploaded a new "at present" on YouTube: https://youtu.be/zESjBqPinpc
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:46 am

A brand new "trailer" just dropped. What a beautiful movie! I loved that part in which Unit 02 and 08 work together to create an AT Field! Also, it's so funny to see Mari losing her cool and calling Asuka by her name. Even Kaji appeared in the trailer (the helicopter sequence and his conversation with Kaworu). Even Toji appeared! They even put the beach sequence hahaha! I think it's impossible to post this on the open forum hahaha!

Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:48 am

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:khara uploaded a new "at present" on YouTube: https://youtu.be/zESjBqPinpc

I must...see...MOVIE!!!
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:02 am

They done gone put the whole dang movie in there!

No, but this is a collection of some of the most iconic lines from the entire movie. This is pretty much a play-by-play of all the things that made the audience's eyes widen or made them lean forward in their seats. I can't wait to pore over this entire movie frame by frame.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:22 am

It's so cool to see all this stuff I've known for months finally animated and in high quality. It completely changed everything I thought I knew about this movie. Seriously, the amalgamation of music (Jesus Bleibet Meine Freude :tongue:), animation, acting and editing makes you rethink absolutely everything! Damn, Shin looks good!
I wonder what exactly are they talking about. I recognized some lines (like Shinji talking about Asuka during Additional Impact), but not all. Just out of curiosity, does the "save the princess" line appear?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:32 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:A brand new "trailer" just dropped. What a beautiful movie! I loved that part in which Unit 02 and 08 work together to create an AT Field! Also, it's so funny to see Mari losing her cool and calling Asuka by her name. Even Kaji appeared in the trailer (the helicopter sequence and his conversation with Kaworu). Even Toji appeared! They even put the beach sequence hahaha! I think it's impossible to post this on the open forum hahaha!

This is a lot more like the artsy EoE trailer with the swelling music & various lines - so far the marketing was more conventional.

It's cool to actually hear the lines/ see the scenes in high quality.
  • The scene where Shinji is going through that tunnel has a nice visual parallel to 1.11's equivalent of ep 4 going on.
  • Interesting choice to pait with the clip of Asuka bitching how "that brat needs a parent not a girlfriend" with the sequence of her own "inner child"
  • A lot of the Mari moments are really in the delivery more than the script. ("Noo, Asuka, don't pull a suicidal stunt, you're like my only friend!")
  • That casual shot of Kaworu leaning against the train window is nice. He starts out the scene looking this confident and ends it sitting on the floor crying his eyes out
  • The infamous long Ayanami with her hair all over the chair
  • I assume that shot of Yui is from Gendo's flashback.
  • The vocal deliveries in the last instrumentality sequence are super duper heart-melting. Actually, most the acting is good

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:07 pm

Kendrix wrote:This is a lot more like the artsy EoE trailer with the swelling music & various lines - so far the marketing was more conventional.

What sells this trailer for me is certainly its editing. I wouldn't say it's as abstract or bold as the trailers for The End of Evangelion. These were mind-blowing in different ways (especially the TV spots). They were really selling the idea that the movie was going to be a horrific but interesting journey. It had everything to do with the overall aesthetic of the movie (several clips overlapping as we listened to a long, dread scream that suddenly ends up on a silent black background). Shin's trailer embodies its movie in a different, more literal way. It looks like they are taking an entire narrative and successfully synthesizing it. It seems that Khara is proud of what it has in its hands and wants to show it. Again, the editing here is topnotch. I feel like before, when making the trailers, they had their hands tied. But now, who cares? You pointed out the dichotomy between Asuka's speech and the clips that show her inner child. This is so simple, so effective, so inherently fun that it amazes me. I love how, like the NTE as a whole, the trailer starts with the red sea and ends with its blue counterpart. It's adorable how one sequence complements the other (the transition between episode 24's landscape and EOE's beach is amazing). If the entire movie is like this, we are in for a ride!

On a side note, it's nice that we can finally take a look at some of these shots in HD.

SPOILER: Show

Unit 13 destroying Asuka's entry plug with its mouth? Man, the final fight seems to reference the incident with Unit 03 in so many ways...

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:57 pm

Even the glitter effect on the water looks the same

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:01 pm

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:
Unit 13 destroying Asuka's entry plug with its mouth? Man, the final fight seems to reference the incident with Unit 03 in so many ways...

Indeed: https://twitter.com/ArqaZone/status/1392505568418570248 (From Reichu)

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:32 pm

that is such a good catch!
obviously the parallel is more explicit in ep 24 with the "You betrayed me!" line

I didn't spot THIs shot, but it showed up on twitter:

Obviously a very blatant visual parallel to the conversation between Shinji & Kaji in 2.0, perhaps underlining that they had a similar relationship.

It's kinda interesting how different Kaji's & Misato's reactions were to losing Shinji.
Kaji goes & dotes on some other kid (at least in the Manga verse you could see his tendency to mentor random orphans 'atoning' for what happened to his little brother), whereas Misato decides that she's through with this whole parenting thing & utterly incapable of it - maybe she feared that she was gonna get Ryoji jr. killed just like what happened with Shinji.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:01 pm

This was one of the first things I noticed while watching the trailer. It's really cool how they're using familiar locations to convey concepts and emotions during the Instrumentality sequence. That makes sense, in a way. It's an Impact, after all. The limit of what can happen depends on the writers imagination. It kinda reminds me of how EOE's kitchen scene parallels episode 15's kiss sequence. This also happens a lot on episodes 25 and 26, of course.
I believe that Kaji didn't get to visit this specific place with Kaworu. What matters here is the parallel between their relationship and the one Kaji had with Shinji. Anyway, this makes me wonder under which circumstances and time frame the two met and became friends. It has to have happened after the Near Third Impact, as the Kaworu was isolated on the moon before that (the place where he was "born" in this reality).
What you said also made me wonder if Misato became a cold person right after the Near Third Impact, of if that happened when Kaji died. It's sad to see what happened to her, as she was bonding with both Shinji and Asuka...

Adam
Lilith

Postby Adam » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:40 pm

Here's a few more spoilerific stills on post cards and clear files which are sold at theaters right now during the final run of the movie. Source:
https://www.evangelion.co.jp/news/210609-2/

I hope this hasn't been posted yet. Meanwhile I'm trying to navigate through OK-spoilers and NG-spoilers in this forum.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”